Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:54 PM   #4251
Saya

Let Me In. It was okay, it was way more like the original film than I expected (for some reason I thought they were going to show how Abby became a vampire? Hmm) but the kids did a great job, they were adorable. The effects were much better this time around, obviously, but it wasn't too gory at all. And they left out some of the stuff they had in the original film that would really confuse the hell out of anyone who didn't read the book, namely Eli/Abby's missing genitalia. It doesn't show it, but when Owen peeps at her his eyes go wide, so there's a nod to the fact that she's not a girl, but its easily missed and ignored if you haven't read or seen the other film I think.

All in all it was a loving remake that fixed it up a bit.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #4252
Mariner

Back to the Future
Is the curse in a dead man's eye !
Seven days, seven nights, I saw that curse,
And yet I could not die."

-The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
by Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:59 PM   #4253
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Let Me In. It was okay, it was way more like the original film than I expected (for some reason I thought they were going to show how Abby became a vampire? Hmm) but the kids did a great job, they were adorable. The effects were much better this time around, obviously, but it wasn't too gory at all. And they left out some of the stuff they had in the original film that would really confuse the hell out of anyone who didn't read the book, namely Eli/Abby's missing genitalia. It doesn't show it, but when Owen peeps at her his eyes go wide, so there's a nod to the fact that she's not a girl, but its easily missed and ignored if you haven't read or seen the other film I think.

All in all it was a loving remake that fixed it up a bit.
I cannot say enough positive things about "Let Me In" - this was the first good horror / vampire movie I have seen. Being an ignorant American, I had no knowledge of the novel or original film based off of it. Therefore I could only judge the movie on its own merit, and was very impressed. I'm planning on taking my GF to it this weekend.

I'm not convinced that gender matters in the characters' relationship, aside from eliciting a raised eyebrow it didn't exactly color my interpretation of their interactions one way or another. It didn't strike me as a sex-type-thing. If it added something to the book, great. I see both characters as effectively a-sexual, it just didn't seem to be a major part of the (American) movie. It isn't explicitly stated one way or another, but I'm not convinced it would have changed things either way. Still a haunting and creepy film, and I love it.

I'm definitely interested in checking out the novel and original film, but I find it is best to let each thing speak for itself.

By the way, a quick search for "let me in deleted scene" has a little flashback to the transformation. I think I agree with the director, not necessary to include in the film.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:01 PM   #4254
Fruitbat

How to tame your dragon. It's great! Wonderful story about Vikings and dragons.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:17 AM   #4255
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Earth Vs. the Flying Saucers - Nothing like an old black and white sci-fi on a cloudy day by the fireplace!

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:39 AM   #4256
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
I cannot say enough positive things about "Let Me In" - this was the first good horror / vampire movie I have seen. Being an ignorant American, I had no knowledge of the novel or original film based off of it. Therefore I could only judge the movie on its own merit, and was very impressed. I'm planning on taking my GF to it this weekend.

I'm not convinced that gender matters in the characters' relationship, aside from eliciting a raised eyebrow it didn't exactly color my interpretation of their interactions one way or another. It didn't strike me as a sex-type-thing. If it added something to the book, great. I see both characters as effectively a-sexual, it just didn't seem to be a major part of the (American) movie. It isn't explicitly stated one way or another, but I'm not convinced it would have changed things either way. Still a haunting and creepy film, and I love it.

I'm definitely interested in checking out the novel and original film, but I find it is best to let each thing speak for itself.

By the way, a quick search for "let me in deleted scene" has a little flashback to the transformation. I think I agree with the director, not necessary to include in the film.
The gender thing added something in the book, and it has a lot to do with Eli/Abby's past, which is why I like how in Let Me In it was so subtle if they weren't going to go into how she was made into a vampire. In the original film, it showed what her crotch looked like and since I read the book I understood what it meant, but the film didn't explain it at all, I don't understand how anyone who didn't read the book would get it. And yet lots and lots of people who watched the original never read the book and loved it anyway, I'd be as confused as hell. Which I think is why Let Me In did it better, it was a remake but it was also a good edit.

Thanks for letting me know about the deleted scene!

ETA: Oh that was short. And she looked like a girl. Hrm. Oh well.

I can't recommend the book enough, btw. Definitely one of my favourites.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #4257
vindicatedxjin

Red... it was alright. I think John Malkovich was great.
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #4258
Fruitbat

Quote:
I cannot say enough positive things about "Let Me In"

*snip*
I watched the original movie. It was so sad but it was one of the few movies I've actually sat through without getting bored.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:50 PM   #4259
Lucifirius

Inception FTW!
Lucifirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:18 PM   #4260
Saya

American Psycho. Now I don't know what to think.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:27 PM   #4261
Deadmanwalking_05

Watched the Remake of Day Of The Dead...it features Zombies that turn to dust when fire hits them (no walking or running torches),Full auto fire getting the job done (Spray and pray with seemingly unlimited ammo per mag)...they establish early on that head shots are the only way to drop Zack,then a few minutes later you see zombie after zombie being dropped by full auto fire... plus you have zombies crawling on ceilings like goddamned xenomorphs.

The people that made this piece of shit remake should be tracked down and beaten with a sand filled rubber hose as a reward for their butchery of a film genre.

9x29mmR : The Choice Of Millions for the last 100-107 years.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:15 PM   #4262
Despanan

Quote:
I see both characters as effectively a-sexual
Yes. I also see both characters as being able to produce offspring without a mate.

I think if you pull that one kids arm off, it'll grow into another little bastard just like him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:42 PM   #4263
gothicusmaximus

Enter the Void. Great date movie.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:24 AM   #4264
Apathy's_Child

This is England. Awesome movie - TOTALLY not what I was expecting.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:24 AM   #4265
Plectrude

I´ve repeated the ´Corpse Brıde`. Agaın.
And I´m about to repeat `It´s a Wonderful Lıfe´.
Plectrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:25 AM   #4266
Geoluhread

Mulan. LOL
I'm not a big movie's fan
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:54 PM   #4267
Mariner

Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Is the curse in a dead man's eye !
Seven days, seven nights, I saw that curse,
And yet I could not die."

-The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
by Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:51 PM   #4268
Saya

Why Has Bodhi Dharma Left For The East? I liked it, but I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone who isn't very interested in Buddhism. Read a book about it beforehand.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #4269
upir lichy

inglorious bastards! good shit
upir lichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:11 AM   #4270
honeythorn

Memoirs of a geisha on dvd.

I do want to see the final 2 harry potter films of course http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EC2tmFVNNE

Doesn't look too bad. At least since they're doing a two-parter they have a slightly lower chance of fucking it up like the last 3, where they simply took the main OMG moments, bumfucked them a little bit and rammed them all together into the usual film running time.

Going by the trailer, the Dragon, like the last one actually looks what you would expect a proper dragon to look like, ( Reign of fire for example ) and is pretty realistic ( unlike that fucking abomination in Eragon or whatever it is ). I do like my dragons rather a lot and I hate it when they get turned into awfully executed CG creatures.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:10 PM   #4271
Saya

Has there ever been a movie with dragons that was actually good?

I suppose this means I ought to knit something Potterish for my fangirl friends.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #4272
Garethsteen

Just finished watching Corpse Bride.
Garethsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:58 AM   #4273
Bete Noire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
Yes. I also see both characters as being able to produce offspring without a mate.

I think if you pull that one kids arm off, it'll grow into another little bastard just like him.

haha!

On a more related note - how do you guys rate Let Me In compared to Let the Right One In?
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:06 PM   #4274
Geoluhread

The Simpsons: The Movie. That was some hilarious movie =P
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:27 PM   #4275
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bete Noire View Post
haha!

On a more related note - how do you guys rate Let Me In compared to Let the Right One In?
Its hard. Let Me In was such a direct remake in some regards, and yet accomplished some things a lot better. The only thing I can say that Let The Right One In did better I think was dubbing Eli's voice, I thought it was fantastic. And Eli herself looked more like I pictured her to in the book. So I guess I'd say Let Me In was better, if only because it made more sense and had better effects.