Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 03:57 AM   #2951
Demonista_Ravenesque

I bet you've never looked under an Elephant's foreskin

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Old 11-06-2005, 04:20 AM   #2952
mortalitas incomitatus

you would think so but.......

*another eliter*
Old 11-06-2005, 06:19 PM   #2953
NyQuil of Doom

I had a dream last night that my brother spontaneously combusted...

It was odd.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:06 PM   #2954
MrMaelstrom

Did you put him out?
Old 11-07-2005, 04:09 PM   #2955
The Minister Saint-Fond

I am totally listening to Mai Kuraki's "Secret of My Heart" right now and I don't care who know's that it's one of my favorites.

Also,

I would hit that like a caveman.

Incidentally, my boss uploaded pictures on the company network of a little outing that we had on our last trip to Japan. There is a fine shot of me, drunk as a skunk, singing karaoke and dancing with a Philipino prostitute. I hope that gets pulled from the network before HR finds it.

[/randomness]
Old 11-07-2005, 04:18 PM   #2956
The Minister Saint-Fond

I work for an automotive interiors supplier. Of course, I shouldn't say which one... But if you happen to see these:

You've seen a piece of me. (And she wasn't a prostitute... per say but you know how those places are in Japan...)
Old 11-07-2005, 05:00 PM   #2957
The Minister Saint-Fond

It's acutally surprisingly inexpensive if you plan ahead. A coach round-trip ticket can be as little as $800 in the off season. Then there are actually some places to stay that are very cheap.

Of course, I go for work, fly business class, and stay in a nice hotel, but if I were footing the bill, I would likely not be doing that.

I hope you speak a little Japanese, though... I've often said that traveling to Japan is like being retarded... You can't read, you can barely communicate, and everyone is looking at you but trying to act like they're not... I speak and read at about a third grade level (but it's enough to pick up in the bars given certain stereotypes about American males... but I've already said too much)
Old 11-07-2005, 05:07 PM   #2958
The Minister Saint-Fond

Incidentally, I have this blog thingy:

http://spaces.msn.com/members/BitterEngineer/

If you click on the little photo link that reads "International Travel is Overrated", you can scroll through about 150 pictures of Japan, Mexico, Detroit, and a few other places.

It's not a plane ticket to Japan, but it's the best I can do.

Sorry for posting a link outside of "shill". You can sue me if you want, I guess.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:20 PM   #2959
rockandrose

I heard from my friends who have travelled to Japan, that the Japanese are quite discriminative.T there are even restrictive restaurants only allowing Japanese customers!

I'm still contemplating as to whether I should fly to Japan next year for a year or so, on a business basis that is.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:39 PM   #2960
The Minister Saint-Fond

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandrose
I heard from my friends who have travelled to Japan, that the Japanese are quite discriminative.T there are even restrictive restaurants only allowing Japanese customers!

I'm still contemplating as to whether I should fly to Japan next year for a year or so, on a business basis that is.
Yes, that's actually quite true. Basically, only Japanese are allowed into the "Pink" establishments (you know what I mean), unless the establishment is designed specifically for foreigners. Places like that are usually only in big cities.

There are many places where foreigners are not welcome, though. And you may be told that a restaurant is full when there are clearly several empty tables. Of course, if you have a Japanese person with you when you arrive, this is usually not a problem.

They are rather racist at times, though, and tend to have an almost childish set of beliefs about foreign customs. For example, there is the belief that "If you want to avoid getting AIDS, don't sleep with foreigners." They tend to think of African people as they are portrayed in the American Rap Videos and generally speaking don't care much for Latin Americans. They do, however, love Australia and New Zealand for some reason.

Most of the people you meet will fall into one of two categories:
The Types of Japanese People You Will Meet
• People who really wish that you weren’t there and are extremely embarrassed around you
• People who are very, very curious about you as a foreigner and will pay so much attention to you that you become embarrassed

I think that I would have to say that dealing with the first type of people is the biggest hurdle. The Japanese can be extremely reserved around foreigners. I kid you not, if you find yourself alone with a stranger on a Japanese street, there is a decent chance that he or she (usually she) will actually run away from you. I would suggest that you prepare for this ahead of time and just accept the fact that people will instinctively shun you and appear extremely disconcerted when you interact with them.

Now this isn’t true of everyone. The people that you are there to see will be extremely kind and restaurant and store owners will be as helpful as possible, but most of the time you will feel like a nerdy high school kid talking to a popular cheerleader who doesn’t want anyone to see you together. But there are ways around this.

Another real treat that comes with visiting Japan is that the extremely curious Japanese will ask all kinds of questions of a foreigner. These questions are not the kind of questions that you would expect, like, “Where are you from?” or even, “What is your name?” These questions will be things like, “How much do you weigh?” and, “Can I try on your wedding ring?” Any answer you give will likely be responded to with nervous laughter. Of course, you will not be able to tell that it is nervous laughter, because all laughter in Japan is nervous and you will lose the ability to differentiate it.

As a foreigner, you will be tolerated in most places. Public places, that is, and in western restaurants and most Izakayas (Japanese bars). I suggest eating at these as much as possible.

If you have any questions or thoughts on the matter, you're more than welcome to email me.

What would take you to Japan? What kind of work do you do (if you don't mind me asking)?
Old 11-07-2005, 06:41 PM   #2961
rockandrose

Nothing is official yet. I'm thinking of taking a break from studying next year and work for about a year.

My friend offered me work in Japan next year possibly in marketing or international trade. It's a great opportunity to travel, see the world outside of Australia, have fun and gain experience whilst earning money overseas. Keep in mind that I cannot speak/read Japanese. Damn...I should of continued learning Japanese in year seven (7th grade).

But, like I said nothing is official yet. I'm still deciding.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:03 PM   #2962
The Minister Saint-Fond

I happen to have the Pimsleur Japanese CDs that I've ripped to MP3 (it's a "Learn Japanese" method). They're a bit expensive, but they honestly really work. The Pimsleur method of language instruction is probably the only useful thing that the CIA has ever come up with. If you'd like the files and have fast internet, just say the word.

I go once or twice per year, usually for about two to three weeks at a time. There is talk about sending me over for a year for "Special Management Training" (I have yet to determine if that's good or bad). If we end up there at the same time, drinks are on me.

Key Phrases:

Mo ippai blank onegaishimasu = "One more of blank, please" (drinks)
blank hoteru made onegaishimasu = "Take me to blank hotel"
Manko kudasai = An invitation for a woman to go to bed with you (dirty)
Chinko kudasai = An invitation for a man to go to bed with you (dirty)
kore wo kaitai desu = "I would like to buy this"
Watashi ha blank suki desu = "I like blank"
Korosuzou! = "I'll kill you!"
Sawanai de! = "Don't touch me!"
Kutabare = "Fuck you!"
Neboken ja ne-yo! = "Get your head out of your ass!"
Kisu shite! = "Kiss me"
Yasashiku shite ne... = "Be gentle"
Gomu tsukete? = "Will you use a condom?"
Motto tsuyoku = "Harder"
Motto yasashiku = "Softer"
Motto hayaku = "Faster"
Motto yukkuri = "Slower"
Motto fukkaku = "Deeper"
Iku! Iku! = "I'm coming" (usually said really fast but you can make it out)
Moe Ikkai? = "Once more, again?"
Mada kekkon shitakunai = "I don't want to get married yet."
Old 11-07-2005, 07:03 PM   #2963
Tall One In Black

When I get out of a hot shower and stand naked in front of the mirror, I can clearly see the network of blue veins across my chest and down my arms. It's intriguing and slightly disturbing.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:09 PM   #2964
rockandrose

Minister, you make me laugh with those translations!

These key phrases would definitely be useful in bed....
Old 11-07-2005, 07:11 PM   #2965
rockandrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall One In Black
When I get out of a hot shower and stand naked in front of the mirror, I can clearly see the network of blue veins across my chest and down my arms. It's intriguing and slightly disturbing.
For some odd reason, I find the hip bone intriguing...
Old 11-07-2005, 07:40 PM   #2966
edible_eye

minister - that japanese lesson kicks ass.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:18 PM   #2967
rockandrose

I'm aware of the lifestyle and the customs in Japan and I'm not afraid of being a foreigner in Japan. I can always learn basis Japanese if I do decide to go. Plus, I have roughly six months to decide if I want to defer my studies for a year and head to Japan.

I'm not stressed about this whole situation at the moment. Even if I do decide not to take up the offer, it would be a decision that I won't regret making.

Also, there will be many opportunites coming my way regarding work in future. So it won't ncessarily be a great loss in my case.

In the end, I believe the decisions that I make are based on what I think is right and wise at the time.

Anyways, Santarea, thanks for your advice!
Old 11-07-2005, 09:27 PM   #2968
tenet_2012

I just watched Finding Nemo. Anybody seen it? Great move, i laughed my ass off.

One question:

The part where Ellen's character is running from the shark and reads the escap'e on the hatch, remember that part?

Anyway, is the ability to read tied to memory? When I read I do it automaticly. Even when i try not to read I just do.

Just a random thought.

--Geisha
Old 11-07-2005, 09:28 PM   #2969
AlKilyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minister Saint-Fond
Korosuzou! = "I'll kill you!"

Ha! I rock the world over! ^_^
Old 11-07-2005, 10:46 PM   #2970
rockandrose

mmmm.....Dominoes Pizza is yummy....
Old 11-07-2005, 11:25 PM   #2971
BlueMoon

HA!! I MAKE Domino's pizzas!
And I just might try out that thing with the garlic sauce and noodles
It's easy..it's cheap
I'm lazy...and cheap
I mean...poor hehe
Old 11-07-2005, 11:31 PM   #2972
rockandrose

Im hungry now...
Old 11-07-2005, 11:35 PM   #2973
BlueMoon

I've got some pizza if anyone want's
Old 11-08-2005, 03:44 AM   #2974
mortalitas incomitatus

i have to go back to hospital again.
i dont want to.
ssshhhh dont tell mortalitas, she doesn't want to know about it.

*another eliter*
Old 11-08-2005, 03:02 PM   #2975
Tall One In Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santarea
Two: I love it in myself and others, but the other girls in teh Troupe call me Whitey MacCracker. We're a very Ethnic troupe and my dance instructor calls me the albino sista.
I had a black friend in college who referred to me as "the whitest white girl I've ever seen." I told him that while all the sorority girls lay in the sun to tan, I lay in the moon to fade.