Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:41 PM   #1
Underwater Ophelia

Brazilian Bikini Wax.

So, what do you ladies know about it?
I'm talking Hollywood style--EVERYTHING removed from front to back.

I already shave like that, but I want it smoother than a seal and lasting, so I'm thinking I have to wax it up.

Any experiences or tips or anything?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:08 PM   #2
dabbadmc

Oh God, hurts like fucking hell. You might have a better tolerance for pain than me though.

My friend told me to never try to make small talk when the waxing is being done, so that's the only advice I can give haha.
dabbadmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
Saya

Will you be attempting it yourself or getting it professionally done?

Its going to hurt, a lot. But the good news is that it hurts less every time. There's creams that you can get that numbs your skin and takes the edge off, I heard they work well but I can't find any locally, so I can't vouch for it.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:22 PM   #4
Underwater Ophelia

I'm thinking I will get it done professionally, but I am tempted to try it at home.

Have you guys ever used a home kit?
Old 10-09-2008, 01:29 PM   #5
Saya

I have, the first time it took me a few hours because I'd use a strip then cry a bit, then tried to work up the nerve to do another strip ^_^ but I'm a pussy when it comes to pain. Also I wasn't doing it correctly and not all the hair came out. I've only done it four times so far but its easier every time, still hurts but I guess I just got used to it.

I haven't done it professionally, frankly I'm too shy to allow a stranger wax my snatch, but I do see the point it would be easier to let someone else do it, it would be much faster.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:33 PM   #6
dabbadmc

I did it at home, and I'd definately recommend getting it done professionally. They know what they're doing and they'll be professional about it. Plus, like Saya said, it'll be faster, so you can get it over and done with.
dabbadmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:22 PM   #7
MitsyMayhem

Take it from somebody who unfortunately enough knows better.
Go for the basic bikini.
The Brazilian:

A) Hurts like hell.
B) Will most likely give you a mass of ingrown hairs, which cause little bumps that will very likely get infected.
C) And never do a Brazilian by yourself. Ever.
MitsyMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:35 PM   #8
honeythorn

I was under the impression that a Brazillian wasn't everything off. It left a "landing strip " on the front? I read that a Hollywood was the name for having the lot off ( as in absolutely all of it )

I think going to a professional would be best. There is bound to be at least one spot you can't quite reach that they can.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:42 PM   #9
MitsyMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn
I was under the impression that a Brazillian wasn't everything off. It left a "landing strip " on the front? I read that a Hollywood was the name for having the lot off ( as in absolutely all of it )

I think going to a professional would be best. There is bound to be at least one spot you can't quite reach that they can.
A Full Brazilian means everything off a normal Brazilian leaves the strip.

Professional is the best and not because of the spots. There are many health risks as well.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:47 PM   #10
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsyMayhem
Take it from somebody who unfortunately enough knows better.
Go for the basic bikini.
The Brazilian:

A) Hurts like hell.
B) Will most likely give you a mass of ingrown hairs, which cause little bumps that will very likely get infected.
C) And never do a Brazilian by yourself. Ever.
Thanks for the advice, but if I'm getting waxed, I'm going Hollywood style.

As for it hurting bad, I'm ok with that, I think.
So long as it's done well, and no skin comes off, I'm good on pain.

About how much is it?
Old 10-09-2008, 03:50 PM   #11
MitsyMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Thanks for the advice, but if I'm getting waxed, I'm going Hollywood style.

As for it hurting bad, I'm ok with that, I think.
So long as it's done well, and no skin comes off, I'm good on pain.

About how much is it?
About 50 bucks, but go for 60 or 70 to get a good one.
Anything lower than that is sketchy.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:59 PM   #12
Saya

I've never had ingrown hair or bumps after waxing, after shaving is another story. I suppose it depends on one's own skin type. It did sting afterwards and my skin was red but I used an olive oil cream to relieve the pain and it was fine.

Maybe to be on the safe side you should try waxing your bikini line or legs first Ophelia and make sure you don't have a reaction to it, if you haven't waxed anything before of course.

Ugh, this makes me want to do it again >.> I'm lazy and I'm back to shaving again, but I miss the smoothness of the wax.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:10 PM   #13
Underwater Ophelia

Hmm...that's fairly pricey.

Not sure when I'll have that money to throw into my vagina.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #14
Anguelon

Quote:
Hmm...that's fairly pricey.

Not sure when I'll have that money to throw into my vagina.
That is pricey , in Lebanon you'd probably pay 20 to 30 dollars at the poshest spa. Anyhoo, I've got a alot of experience with the Brazilian at home. If you have a wax machine (it's like a roll-on thingy and hot wax comes out of it), start at the outter parts. Now, for sure your pubic hair should be not long and not too short. When doing the bikini line, make sure the paper strips are not to widely cut. I haven't experimented with cold strips. But, make sure to get your waxing done right after your period, it hurts less and the hair comes out easier. Now, as for the hair on the landing strip (between vaginal lips, labia and up to the buttcrack) you would never want to put hot wax or cold strips there. Anything that removes hair with any type of waxing paper is a no-no. You'd want to use the wax that you put with a stick ...u know the one that's made out of carmalized sugar and lemon juice.

When you put that type of wax on those areas, use very small pieces and leave it on the hairy area for a few seconds then you yank the hair off the way you'd yank a band-aid.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:26 PM   #15
Underwater Ophelia

Is it better or worse than a tattoo?
Old 10-10-2008, 06:55 AM   #16
StrangeLove

I've only done it once, prefer shaving myself but only because of cost issue.

I'd recommend getting it done professionally because they can get to areas where you couldn't reach otherwise. The professional waxers also will be able to have the arm strength [instead of reaching over yourself] to remove the strip fast. The results are pretty fantastic, and I didn't have to shave for almost 2 months.

On a scale of pain, I'd say the tattoo needle was more painful for me but only because I had it done my right shoulder blade and it felt like it was digging into my bone. I've had a biopsy done on my hip bone before and that was very painful to recover from once the anesthetic wore off. A waxing isn't that bad in comparison considering it's done fast, you can pop an aspirin or something about an hour before your waxing to ease the pain.
StrangeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:16 AM   #17
chelseagirl

I use to wax-it was EXTREMELY painful. And, I was always getting gross looking, painful ingrown hairs. I finally gave in and just got it all lasered off. That was really painful too, but it's been like 2 years and I'm still perfectly smooth.

As far as pain goes, I would say it hurts a LOT worse than getting a tattoo (but of course, depending upon the location of the tattoo)
Old 10-10-2008, 08:55 AM   #18
Underwater Ophelia

Thanks for your input.

I'm definitely going to get it professionally done the first time, and I'm not too worried about the pain, just the cost, haha.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #19
Solumina

Make sure that you have some really soft, preferably cotton, undies because your skin will be extra sensitive for the next few days.

Also don't get it done the weekend before you go on vacation, I had a friend do that once, she spent god only knows how much for that trip to Cancun and she couldn't even go in the water because it agitated her skin.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:51 AM   #20
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
Make sure that you have some really soft, preferably cotton, undies because your skin will be extra sensitive for the next few days.

Also don't get it done the weekend before you go on vacation, I had a friend do that once, she spent god only knows how much for that trip to Cancun and she couldn't even go in the water because it agitated her skin.
Yeah, fortunately I have a huge collection of underwear. A lot of it is very practical and made of cotton.

I only wear synthetic panties for short amounts of time because it's like giving the bacteria a written invitation to wear it daily.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:58 PM   #21
Anguelon

Quote:
Is it better or worse than a tattoo?
No , it doesn't hurt like getting tattooed. Oh and one last thing, never get waxed when you're tired or feeling down coz it'll hurt like hell.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:22 PM   #22
Solumina

I have also heard that your shouldn't get waxed while you are on antibiotics as that can increase your chances of getting a yeast infection
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:54 PM   #23
hopelesslydevoted

It really isnt that big a deal. I have been getting it done every 6 weeks for about 2 years now. If you make a big deal of it in your head, it makes it worse. Seriously, most of the pain is in your head. Dont get me wrong, its not like its fun, by any means.

It gets easier every time, your hair thins out, and as long as you exfoliate and use a good cream ingrown hairs arent too big a deal.
hopelesslydevoted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:40 PM   #24
zombiewhore

I usually get the Sally Hanson waxing strips when they're on sale. They're not the best, and they take quite a bit of practice to use right. The worst that will happen is you get an ingrown hair, but as you shave, I'm sure you already deal with.
As for pain, it all depends on your tolerance. I have a pretty high tolerance for self inflicted pain, so I don't actually mind.
zombiewhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:46 PM   #25
Anguelon

cold strips are painful...and not really easy to use...they don't stick on the hair as should...i prefer using hot wax and it isn't hot it's more like warm