Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:10 PM   #1
Sumerian Nephilim

Absolute Favourite Live Albums

Here are my all time favourites:

Fields of The Nephilim - Earth Inferno
Rush - Exit...Stage Left
Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Weld
Judas Priest - Priest...Live
Dissection - Live Legacy
Kiss - Alive
Pink Floyd - Pulse
David Bowie - Live in Santa Monica 72
Iron Maiden - Live After Death
Tiamat - Wild - Live in Stockholm 1994
Thin Lizzy - Live & Dangerous
Deep Purple - Made in Japan
Emperor - Emperial Live Ceromony
AC/DC - Live

It amazes me that 'Earth Inferno, Weld, Exit...Stage Left & Pulse, never get mentioned on lists of 50 or 100 great live albums. These albums are pure class and the songs are way better than their studio versions. What are your favourites?
Sumerian Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
Joker_in_the_Pack

I, personally, hate live albums. I've never seen an artist who's as good live as they are in studio except two, and they don't have live albums.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
Cicero

Accept the Gift of Sin by Rozz Williams. There are versions of his songs on there that I actually prefer to the studio recorded ones, and the parts with him talking between songs are awesome, haha.

Cats Drunk on Copper by Current 93 is also damn good. I didn't realise it was live until I heard the applause.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:22 PM   #4
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
I, personally, hate live albums. I've never seen an artist who's as good live as they are in studio except two, and they don't have live albums.
A one-hit wonder live song that was better than the studio version was
Do you feel like we do by Peter Frampton. The album, Frampton comes alive was his best seller.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:17 PM   #5
Sumerian Nephilim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack

You might want check out these albums, because they are way better than studio songs and they played with a lot of conviction and precision:

Rush - Exit...Stage Left
AC/DC - Live
Pink Floyd - Pulse
Old 09-14-2008, 04:38 PM   #6
Chumley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumerian Nephilim

You might want check out these albums, because they are way better than studio songs and they played with a lot of conviction and precision:

Rush - Exit...Stage Left
AC/DC - Live
Pink Floyd - Pulse
Wasn't Live & Dangerous the one where they overdubbed most of the stuff in studio?

Anyhow, Robert Fripp's live soundscapes are pretty amazing. I also LOVE Stop Making Sense and The Name of this Band is Talking Heads by... Talking Heads. (That... was akward.) Also, Score, by Dream Theater, is pretty terrific.
Chumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:12 AM   #7
Beowulf

Cool

Quote:
Here are my all time favourites:

Rush - Exit...Stage Left
Dissection - Live Legacy
Kiss - Alive
Pink Floyd - Pulse
David Bowie - Live in Santa Monica 72
Iron Maiden - Live After Death
Tiamat - Wild - Live in Stockholm 1994
Emperor - Emperial Live Ceromony
AC/DC - Live

It amazes me that 'Earth Inferno, Weld, Exit...Stage Left & Pulse, never get mentioned on lists of 50 or 100 great live albums. These albums are pure class and the songs are way better than their studio versions. What are your favourites?

You have an awesome taste in live albums, I can see quite a few of my all time favourites there, and yes `Earth Inferno` and `Exit ... Stage Left` also `Live After Death` (which is considered by many as the definitive live album of the genre) , all classics !!!.

My favourite track off `Earth Inferno` has to be their powerful performance of `Love Under Will` (Tony Pettits bass guitar tone is awesome). `Xanadu` and `Tom Sawyer` are a couple of favourite moments off `Exit Stage Left` !!!.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:06 PM   #8
Sumerian Nephilim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf
You have an awesome taste in live albums, I can see quite a few of my all time favourites there, and yes `Earth Inferno` and `Exit ... Stage Left` also `Live After Death` (which is considered by many as the definitive live album of the genre) , all classics !!!.

My favourite track off `Earth Inferno` has to be their powerful performance of `Love Under Will` (Tony Pettits bass guitar tone is awesome). `Xanadu` and `Tom Sawyer` are a couple of favourite moments off `Exit Stage Left` !!!.
Thanks. I love 'Earth Inferno' myself, and 'Last Exit For The Lost' would be one of my favourites, because it just blows the studio version away, even though the studio version is class.

Have you ever heard the 'Memoriam' bootleg by FOTN? Its really excellent and
well worth hearing. Its has 'Blue Water, The Watchman & best of all 'Wail of Sumer/And There Will Be Your Heart Also'.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:36 PM   #9
Arashi

Live In The Real World ~ Stream of Passion
Though I do know a few bands that are even BETTER live than they are in studio, none of them have live albums, so that's all I can think of.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:19 PM   #10
Beowulf

Quote:
Thanks. I love 'Earth Inferno' myself, and 'Last Exit For The Lost' would be one of my favourites, because it just blows the studio version away, even though the studio version is class.

Have you ever heard the 'Memoriam' bootleg by FOTN? Its really excellent and
well worth hearing. Its has 'Blue Water, The Watchman & best of all 'Wail of Sumer/And There Will Be Your Heart Also'.
No I havent heard that bootleg yet, but would love to add it to my collection, can you please tell me where I get it, is it something that can found at record fairs ?

Old 09-19-2008, 03:06 PM   #11
Sumerian Nephilim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf
No I havent heard that bootleg yet, but would love to add it to my collection, can you please tell me where I get it, is it something that can found at record fairs ?
I got mine from Dawnrazor uk, because someone kindly uploaded it. Here is the link to it and I hope it works for you. The sound on this bootleg is amazing and volume is great as well, I think it was done digitally. Anyway here it is, enjoy:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y88NJ940
Old 09-20-2008, 07:38 AM   #12
Draconysius

I'm not a fan of live albums, personally. I do enjoy "Earth Inferno" though, and I listen to a bootleg of the 6/6/06 Bauhaus show I attended from time to time. They did an AMAZING cover of Dead Can Dance's "Severance".
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:46 AM   #13
Xombie

Death - Live in L.A. This was their last performance, as the singer died a few days later from brain cancer. It made me cry the first time I listened to it, but I guess that's because I'm a crazy devoted metalhead. :[
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:03 PM   #14
Beowulf

Let The Metal Flow !!!. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xombie
Death - Live in L.A. This was their last performance, as the singer died a few days later from brain cancer. It made me cry the first time I listened to it, but I guess that's because I'm a crazy devoted metalhead. :[

Xombie,

Death `Live In LA` was recorded in 1998, on the `Sound Of Perseverence tour`. Chuck Schuldiner (RIP) sadly passed away in December 2001 after his long fight with cancer !!!.

Chuck was one of the most talented, passionate and driven musicians in the metal scene and certainly one of the most infuencial !!!.

Fans of Chuck Schuldiners music might be interested in these two articles published in the Guitar World magazine ...

Chuck Schuldiner : Lust For Life

An interview with Jane Schuldiner

Live In LA is a brilliant live album and DVD it shows Death at their best !!!.

Xombie I was wondering what your favourite Death album is (Mine are `Leprosy`, `Human`, `Individual Thought Patterns`, and `Symbolic`) !!!.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:44 PM   #15
Disaffected Shoelaces

I don't really listen to many live albums, but I love One-night Stand by Sam Cooke.
Disaffected Shoelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:20 PM   #16
techbat

Skinny Puppy - Aint It Dead Yet
Ministry - In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up (love the drum duet at the first, well not on the cd but vhs only)
techbat is offline   Reply With Quote