Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 04-12-2006, 03:33 PM   #26
Oubliette

Blade, House on Haunted Hill, Nightmare on Elm Street, Leprachaun (belongs in comedy/horror)

"Can't we all just get a bong?"-Wolfie-
Oubliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 08:16 PM   #27
roserougesang

I think the best horror films are the ones that don't have to rely on a humongous amount of gore just to keep the viewer interested (or disgusted, depending on the strength of your stomach), that's why I think the older films such as Bela Lugosi's Dracula and Frankenstein are so good. For good modern horror films 'senza' pointless gore, I like Blair Witch Project (yes, I know it was a hoax, but it was a good film) and Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula. Most of the films I like are usually classified under thriller though, for example, Sleepy Hollow, From Hell and Interview with the Vampire.
roserougesang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:02 PM   #28
Avarice

Well I'm not the type to really watch movies.
Besides Anime, I love the stuff.

But whenever I do go and hire a movie out for the night, I normally get a Horror or two, whatever the stores got.
Zombies / Vampires = *love* :3
Avarice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:10 AM   #29
end.of.eternity

I like old horror movies, too. Today I watched The Shining(Jack nicholson just rules it)and I don't like Asian horror at all, too.

Omen I and II are love!! Ohh and I so dig Jonathan Scott-Taylor he was really good
Old 04-13-2006, 11:17 AM   #30
Oubliette

Quote:
Originally Posted by roserougesang
I think the best horror films are the ones that don't have to rely on a humongous amount of gore just to keep the viewer interested (or disgusted, depending on the strength of your stomach), that's why I think the older films such as Bela Lugosi's Dracula and Frankenstein are so good. For good modern horror films 'senza' pointless gore, I like Blair Witch Project (yes, I know it was a hoax, but it was a good film) and Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula. Most of the films I like are usually classified under thriller though, for example, Sleepy Hollow, From Hell and Interview with the Vampire.

I liked The Blair Witch Project also. It scared the hell out of me, something about the woods.

Old 04-16-2006, 01:56 PM   #31
Engulfed_in_darkness

I love horror movies. My favorite was The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Demonic movies fanatic.
Engulfed_in_darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 02:27 PM   #32
Pathogen.

The Horror flicks that I'm into falls into 4 types:

*Vampire.
*Werewolf.
*Ghosts.
*Haunted Houses.

The ones that I've been into in recent years are ones that don't have to use/abuse computer-generated imaging effects or blood-&-guts to be scary. Examples: "The Others", Japanese horror films from 2000 onward. Oh, yeah--I love me some Vincent Price.
Pathogen. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 04:32 PM   #33
Engulfed_in_darkness

I like Final Destination 1 and 2. 3 was getting lame.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:25 AM   #34
aspendeath

I like the concept of horror movies, but all the ones I've seen in recent years pretty much suck.

For all that Romero is worshipped for, he sure made alot of duds.
aspendeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 02:41 PM   #35
Idoru

Japanese films are definately the future of horror. Hollywood keeps stealing their ideas, so that should tell you something.

Start obvious and watch Versus or Audition etc and see what you think, they really are more suspense-laden than the usual teenagers stuck in a motel/house/school/other place with walls film they keep putting out.
Idoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:02 PM   #36
Engulfed_in_darkness

Of course. Japan seems to be becoming the future of all fads in America nowadays.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:53 PM   #37
Idoru

Definately, but that is because like all other cultures, they come at things from a slightly different perspective.
It doesn't hurt that they have an interesting mix of history; music, food, films, fashion, tradition and a beautiful language.
I would probably say I am a bit of a japan-o-file, so maybe I am biased...
Idoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 06:17 PM   #38
Beowulf

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathogen.
The Horror flicks that I'm into falls into 4 types:

*Vampire.
*Werewolf.
*Ghosts.
*Haunted Houses.

The ones that I've been into in recent years are ones that don't have to use/abuse computer-generated imaging effects or blood-&-guts to be scary. Examples: "The Others", Japanese horror films from 2000 onward. Oh, yeah--I love me some Vincent Price.

Absolutly Pathogen, nothing beats the classics (Bela Legosi, Boris Karloff, Lon Chaney, Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, Vincent Price).

The best horror films are built on narrative, atmosphere, and mis-en-scene.
Not over reliance on CGI or flashy editing.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:28 PM   #39
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idoru
Japanese films are definately the future of horror. Hollywood keeps stealing their ideas, so that should tell you something.

Start obvious and watch Versus or Audition etc and see what you think, they really are more suspense-laden than the usual teenagers stuck in a motel/house/school/other place with walls film they keep putting out.
I think the Italian giallo films do a better job at being suspenseful. That is why I love Argento's films, they are part mystery and part horror.

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 07:30 AM   #40
SadieSnow

Love 'em!

Favorites~~
Halloween series, minus the 3rd of course
Nightmare on Elm St series
Friday the 13th series
Scream Trilogy
Ginger Snaps
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Interview w/ Vampire
Underworld

There's plenty more but I gotta run! I'd love to hear any movie recommendations!
SadieSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:37 AM   #41
Oubliette

I loved The Gate. The first, I never saw the second. I haven't seen that movie in ages. It's kind of cheesy but I remember it fondly. I'm going to have to rent it sometime soon.

Old 04-23-2006, 09:40 AM   #42
Oubliette

One horror movie that I couldn't get through was The Dentist. I'm afraid of the dentist as it is...*gulp* I needed the nitris after seeing that shit. Just say NO....(I'm not into that shit for recreation and I don't condone it)

Old 04-23-2006, 05:04 PM   #43
marianne faithfull

I love both older and new horror films.

The Hunger.

Daughters Of Darkness.

The Vampire Lovers.

Countess Dracula.

Hostel.
marianne faithfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:12 PM   #44
|BlackOps| Mindless One

bumpbumpbump
|BlackOps| Mindless One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:39 AM   #45
Flyttamouse

I love Hammer horrors...to me, the world of Hammer is a cosy place, governed as it is by simple rules like 'if you want to get bitten by a vampire wear a skimpy nightie'. (A lot of horror's like that of course but somehow in Hammer it manages to be both predictable and entertaining.). And for some reason I get very amused by 18th century clothes and hairstyles which nevertheless look very 1960s/70s. My favourite is Vampire Circus.
I also like a lot of random old horror movies like The Corpse Vanishes (with Bela Lugosi) for its sheer ludicrousness.
Some other favourites of mine are Nosferatu, Ginger Snaps, Snow White:A Tale of Terror (I really like dark versions of faerie tales) and Sangre Eterna (a great soundtrack always helps!). But for actual scariness or horrificness I'd go for something like Audition (or even Requiem for a Dream which I don't think anyone would classify as horror) .
Flyttamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:57 AM   #46
chelseagirl

I love all things horror! Right now though, I'm mourning the release of the "collector's edition" of Event Horizon. I've been waiting 9 years in the hopes a director's cut would be released, showing at least some of the scenes that had to be cut from the movie. Alas, this collector's edition is not it. It is just the theatrical release along with another disc of extras. The extra disc does contain some deleted scenes, but they are very poor quality, and annoyingly not IN the movie. Seeing deleted scenes SUCKS if you're not seeing them added back into the movie, where they belong! *sigh* Life sucks. I will go on dreaming of the missing hell orgy scenes as I cry softly into my pillow...
chelseagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:08 AM   #47
Angel of the Dark

I really like very much older horror movies,Hammer is my favourite...And especially Dracula/vampire films they have made...

Does anybody here like Mario Bava's works?I think that he is fine director,although I haven't seen than just a few of his movies.But "Whip and the Body" was marvellously made!

Here are some of my favourites:

Horror of Dracula (Hammer)

Taste the Blood of Dracula (Hammer)

Scars of Dracula (Hammer)

Dracula (1931,actually both versions,the one where Bela Lugosi stars,and the other,Spanish version,with Carlos Villarios (?),was that the actors name,I now don't seem to remember?I think that the Spanish version is even better than the version that Americans made...)

Love at First Bite (with George Hamilton,horror comedy,released in 1979)

Count Yorga,Vampire/Return of Count Yorga (low budget films,but still very good made,and Robert Quarry was magnificent in the role of the Count Yorga)

I don't like so much the horror movies,which they are doing nowadays,there are few exceptions...:

Dracula-Pages from a Virgin's Diary (Released in 2004,if I now remember right.This is totally mute film,shot almost entirely black and white,and has strange mix of ballet,horror and gothic atmosphere in it.Really worth of watching...)

Van Helsing (This one I liked,somehow...I don't know why...)

And of course,Interview with the Vampire was really great,but I didn't like so much the sequel,Queen of the Damned.Good music,though...
Angel of the Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:43 AM   #48
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I love Vincent Price and the classics (Bela Lugosi), but I like the cornball flick's too: love the scene in Bram Stoker's version of Dracula (Keanu Reeves, 1992) where he introduces himself softly, with an accent so strong, you can't quite make out the hard "C" consonant:
"I am ...Derragula..."

Kind of a disconnected story flow, but has some high points, like when Keanu Reeves first approaches the Count's castle for the first time in the night, wolves making "music" all around ("dee cheel-deren of dee night").

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 04:29 PM   #49
She_Is_My_Sin

It's been ages since I watched a good horror film...hmm The Doll Master (Asian horror film) was quite good. This is a bit of a spoiler but the large dolls were rather disturbing. I liked May quite a fair bit, although I must say I found the ending sweet, not scary. I have watched some Hammer Horror films, but they were on very late at night...I kinda fell asleep...quite soon in. But I had my eye on a 'classic vampire bloodpack boxset' in my local Virgin shop. However they shut the shop down (grrr). I do like the look of 'Silent Hill' though. Might give that a try.
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote