Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

View Poll Results: Do you think Punk / Goths are sterotyped???
Yes 26 92.86%
No 2 7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 03:20 PM   #1
Gothic_Minstrel

Wow the nerve of some people....

I went to school for the first time today wearing the same exact pants in this photo,Click here then scroll down , a pair of tripp chain pants recently bought. Well, im walking through school, no problems, maybe a look or two but not much, you know...no problems. But then, 4th period spanish, I walk in and the first thing I hear, "What the hell is with the big ass chains???"
I smirked and sat in my desk. The teacher, currently handing out our tests vacj to the class, as he calls my name.....I go up, collect my test (which btw i got a 67 on it, heh didnt fail!) and on the way back,"YO!, jingle bells jingle bells," i heard someone say toward my direction. I smirked, laughed, and sat back down.
I thought it to be funny, considering I had come up with the idea when i first got the pants and wore them(a day at the mall b4 school), and the song was playing so I jingled on my merry way 8)
They also went to me, "So are you the kind of person that would blow up our school?"
What kind of question is that?....if i could get away with it, sure why the hell not?.....but im not going to.....common sense u friggen retart
Just because of the way I(we) dress, we are sterotyped to certain actions......which is plain nonsense compared to the real people.
I dont wish to label people, but it eventually comes down to it. Us "punk / gothics" are accustomed to certain standards that are not even set by us ourselves
This in which makes no sense
Tell me what u think?
l8R
Old 12-03-2003, 03:30 PM   #2
FirstKiss

agree

I agree mostly I think. I commend you on how you reacted. Everyone is stereotyped...there is really no way around it. Everyone does it. I hate it a lot but I even catch myself doing it. Pretty damn annoying. But at least some people are mature and intelligent enough to realize what they do and try to correct it.

Most people throw large groups of people together based on one similarity...not sure why people do this. Just for easier recognition of a specific trait or something, but it gets really out of hand and the stereotypes become a way to insult an entire group of people.

Well...what ya gonna do?
Old 12-03-2003, 03:33 PM   #3
Takhisis

In high school? Yeah, goths and punks are stereotyped. Show me a single high school student who isn't stereotyped by peers because of their dress or affiliations.

According to someone they're a punk or a goth or a prep or a bandie or a jock or a cheerleader or a gangbanger or a hick or a hippie or a nerd or a gamer or or or, ad infinitum. Everyone's stereotyped to certain actions or personality types... stupid? Definitely. But not something one can really get away from in that situation no matter HOW you dress, in my experience.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:42 PM   #4
Gothic_Minstrel

Biological Weapon

xnguela
Quote:
I think we already have too many people posting about "It's not fair, people judge me based on my choices". I mean, think about it: you CHOSE to wear those pants. You knew the positive and negative connotations implied by that style of dress, whether it be true or false.
I, myself, know this .... I guess you could just say that Im kind of surprised in some ways .... although our whole society is a bunch of sterotypes amazingly getting along.
(like end of the world..if uve seen it....well all kill each other eventually)
I will admit, the jingle bells was quite creative(on my part) heh heh
Old 12-03-2003, 03:49 PM   #5
psychosis

you said it yourself

the ignorance in the question "are you the type of person that would blow our school up?" based souly on your dress ethics is abundant. but you said it your self "i would if i could get away with it." well they werent to far off were they? maybe everyone judges and stereotypes. it is human nature to size someone up within the first 5 seconds of meeting them. within 15 seconds you know if you want to continue association with that person. that my friend is human nature.

but i agree the question was out of line.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:58 PM   #6
Asurai

Of course we're all stereotyped; like Takhisis said, no single person in high school isn't. One crowd stereotypes another, who does the same right back to them, and so on. And I'll admit that I do it, too, a great deal more than I should. It is human nature, to a certain extent.

The "Hey, tell me the day that you're going to shoot up the school, so that I won't be here then" comments get annoying after a while... a long while. Honestly, I think that they're fun. Especially when you respond with a straight face something like "What would be the point if you weren't here that day?" You have to admit: it's funny how they quickly tell you that they were just kidding.

Luckily, I haven't been expelled yet for doing that.
Old 12-07-2003, 07:23 PM   #7
bexxle

Jingle Bells is fine. When they start saying, “Stupid punk we’re going to bash your head in” start to worry.

Sorry, but you do look like a punk that is going to trial soon. Almost Mohawk in a natural tone. Just change your outfit and your Tom Cruise. Nah, won’t get all freaky about it. Laugh and have some fun now. If you don’t they’ll probably start getting worse. They figure you don’t like them. I never take my own advice, but should.

Learn from my wisdom.

- Skinny Puppy -
Old 12-12-2003, 11:30 PM   #8
Gothic_Minstrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexxle
Jingle Bells is fine. When they start saying, “Stupid punk we’re going to bash your head in” start to worry.

Sorry, but you do look like a punk that is going to trial soon. Almost Mohawk in a natural tone. Just change your outfit and your Tom Cruise. Nah, won’t get all freaky about it. Laugh and have some fun now. If you don’t they’ll probably start getting worse. They figure you don’t like them. I never take my own advice, but should.

Learn from my wisdom.
Your wisdom is generous, yet amusing.....
Sorry to say, but all I can do is smirk at them, I'm not going to give them the satisfaction they want of laughter through me. And no i dont have a mohawk, be interesting though, not my style....
Bash my skull in?, don't know who would do that but I'll keep my eyes and ears peeled :shock:
Old 12-13-2003, 11:47 AM   #9
bexxle

Okay. You do that. One day that scenerio will happen in real life. I know it will!

- Skinny Puppy -
Old 06-01-2004, 09:04 PM   #10
Emptysoul

I know what you guys are talkin about but i never had the problem in school.. i didnt fit into one catagory or another. Sure my friends did but i never did.. i dressed kinda preppy sometime and then again it was always jeans and a t-shirt. but i never really looked one way or the other. It is wrong to put people into catagories and ask stupid questions like are you the type to blow up the school.. thats just plain old stupidity. I had friends that dressed in all diffrent type, Preppy, punk, slutty, or whatever they wanted.. but as long as you can just ignore the stupid people in the world and ignore their stupid remarks you will be alright..
Old 06-01-2004, 09:42 PM   #11
Jane13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexxle

Sorry, but you do look like a punk that is going to trial soon. Almost Mohawk in a natural tone.
I've never met a punk that dresses like that, and I've known a lot of punks. I have met a guy with mohawk so tall that he can't ride in a car. He said he kept it up with elmer's glue, cornstarch, and rubber cement. Minstrel, I must say, you look uncannily like my best friend's brother (that's a good thing).
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Old 06-01-2004, 11:49 PM   #12
psyche

Hm. In this day in the age where everyone wants in all... and wants it now... and doesn't want to work for it... it seems to come with the package.

Contents of package unknown - read label.

What happened to getting to know someone from the inside out? I propose that it would be much more fun if our cans didn't have labels. And I do mean that literally! Why not be naked?! Now there wouldn't be any sort of snapshot label to be read and dismissed, but a genuine desire to open that can and find out what exactly is inside.

Would you have a fashionable... smile? As I open that can?

Keep your eyes open...
"Focus your attention on the link between you and your death, without remorse or sadness or worrying. Let each of your acts be your last battle on earth. Only under those conditions will your acts have thier rightful power." ~Don Juan
Old 06-02-2004, 12:39 AM   #13
spax

the main reason people stereotype others is that they want to be noticed everybody does it. it a subconsious ( sorry my spelling is shit) thing. think about it. people bring others done to make them think they are better than everybody else. because im 6'6 and very broad (i work out alot sorry just had to and this) i don't really have a problem with people saying shit to me but my friends do and it really pisses me of i'm just waiting for some smart mouth fucker to say somethiung to me so i can make an example of him. i know violence doesn't solve any thing but i get really pissed of at people who take the piss out of others for dressing different (pluss it releaves stress to hit some smart assed big mouth)
Old 09-19-2004, 02:40 PM   #14
punkirony

PUNK/GOTHS ARE STEREOTYPED. I HAVE TO HEAR STUPID SHIT FROM PEOPLE ABOUT HOW I THINK I'M A BAD ASS AND WANTS TO ALWAYS GET IN TROUBLE JUST BECAUSE OF THE WAY I DRESS. THESE PEOPLE CAN ROT FOR ALL I CARE.
Old 09-19-2004, 04:14 PM   #15
Zeade

if you don't wish to be sterotyped, then dress like a "normal" person... but then again... EVERYONE IS STEROTYPED!!!!!!!!

you'll have to deal with the shit no matter what... so get used to it... if it's not b/c of the way you're dressed... it's your age... or maybe your skin color... or maybe b/c of your gender...

people are assholes... learn to deal...

oh... and if you do blow up the school... take a picture and post it on here for us all to admire... &lt;wink>
Old 09-19-2004, 04:54 PM   #16
ice

This thread has returned from the dead, I must put it down...

*blam* *blam*

That oughta do it.

Thread Locked

"No - it's more like - wow, isn't enlightenment great?" - Doug Henning
Closed Thread