Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 09-25-2005, 10:46 PM   #1
mortalitas incomitatus

Question Expand my horizons

i'm a matal head from way back, basically if it wasn't fast, hard, out of control and involve screaming, growling or shreiking i wasn't going to listen to it.

But as i'm growing up and maturing i feel my tastes are starting to soften and refine themselves.

having recently been exposed to combi-christ, tankt, covenant, immaculata, vnv nation, ikon, angel theory etc...etc... i'm loving the whole industrial, psytrance, EBM scene.

so here is my point.....
i'm looking to expand my musik knowlage, i want to know whats hot, whats not, where to get it and why i should be into it.

i'm open to anything at the moment so drop by and leave your thoughts behind.

cheers guys!

*another eliter*
mortalitas incomitatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 02:07 AM   #2
ExistentialDisorder

Maybe you should be a little more specific?
I love suggesting new music to those willing to broaden horizons, as well as hear their suggestions as I'm always on the look out to expand my own collection. I just don't want to suggest anything you either already have or wouldn't be interested in.

But I don't know what EBM is. Maybe I do and just don't know that's what its called... but anyway, for now...

Anything by: Front 242 and Frontline Assembly, for the industrial flavor. I was just about to type in a few others and can't remember them now. Dammit!

There's a CD called 'The Blackest Album' - which is an industrial tribute to Metalica, by various artists. I have it, and it is decent, tho more metal sounding to me than industrial. I have heard some good and some bad opinions on it. You might appreciate it tho, since your roots are in metal.

I'm not sure how easy they'd be to find, but 'Automatic Head Detonator' is an industrial band you might try looking for to see if it turns you on. Also a band called 'Diesel Dust'. But I only know them because they did a complete cover album of Depeche Mode's 'Songs of Faith & Devotion'.

Also, I just discovered one called 'Third Realm' which is really good industrial, but I don't know of a cd by them/him. You can do a search for him on myspace.com and hear a few of his tracks.

Skinny Puppy is an old favorite. Their style varies from industrial to dance to somewhat hardcore-metal, to just down right psychotic at times.

For other random themes/styles, I would suggest,

Collide
Portishead
Tapping The Vein
Switchblade Symphony
This Mortal Coil
The Cruxshadows
The Last Dance
-- These are all rather moody and melodic, not sure if you'd currently be interested in them, but you might enjoy them depending on your mood. Portishead is more bassy and rhythmic, not all that goth. (i.m.o.)

And, hope nobody smacks me, but Stabbing Westard has two cd's that are very good and dark - 'Wither, Blister, Burn and Peel', and 'Darkest Days'. Rather heavy at times, and somewhat soft on others. But they're my two favorite albums by them.

You might also like The Sisters of Mercy's cd 'Vision Thing' - some pretty grinding guitars on that one. At least moreso than their prior material. Its like 15 years old now tho.

I can't help on the psytrance at the moment. But I would like to hear some myself.

Hope you find something interesting among these.

~E.D.

"What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection
Is it all you wanted to be?
What if you could look right through the cracks?
Would you find yourself [or]
Find yourself afraid to see?..." -NIN
ExistentialDisorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 03:04 AM   #3
Demonista_Ravenesque

mortalitas incomitatus...By any chance at all, are you an Australian?

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:06 AM   #4
mortalitas incomitatus

Smile to existentialdisorder,

cheers for the reply.
frontline assmbly are definantly a good one for a bit of a groove along.
skinny puppie and depeche mode and old faves, but i think i'll have to have a bit of a look for A.H.D. Do you know any sites where i could locate them???
as for the psytrance i'll keep you posted with a few names.
keep in contact dude.

*another eliter*
Old 09-26-2005, 04:10 AM   #5
mortalitas incomitatus

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonista_Ravenesque
mortalitas incomitatus...By any chance at all, are you an Australian?

Australian..........Hmmmmmm.......... what makes you think that??? i'm interested.........

*another eliter*
Old 09-26-2005, 07:45 PM   #6
Demonista_Ravenesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortalitas incomitatus
Australian..........Hmmmmmm.......... what makes you think that??? i'm interested.........
It's the fact you listen to Ikon, Immaculata and Angel Theory....did you go to Under The Blue Moon?

Old 09-26-2005, 09:30 PM   #7
mortalitas incomitatus

Thumbs up Bingo!!!

Quote:
It's the fact you listen to Ikon, Immaculata and Angel Theory....did you go to Under The Blue Moon?

bingo swwet cheeks.

no blu moon for me, i'm an adelaide grl.

distorted is coming up in melb. taking time off work for that tho.

keep in touch
:grin:

*another eliter*
Old 09-26-2005, 11:21 PM   #8
Demonista_Ravenesque

Haha, I feel clever

Old 09-27-2005, 12:35 AM   #9
mortalitas incomitatus

Quote:
Haha, I feel clever

CHEEKY, BABY, VERY CHEEKY. :-P

you a N.S.W grl???

*another eliter*
Old 09-27-2005, 12:54 AM   #10
Demonista_Ravenesque

Thats right...from NSW, mm mmm

Old 10-06-2005, 01:14 PM   #11
debaserPixie

i think you'd like Blindside, They scream and sing;and they have a song about being a vampire
debaserPixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 11:24 PM   #12
Shemjazza

Laibach are an exelent industrial band
Shemjazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 12:05 AM   #13
Loy

F uck dude, talk to Pitseleh. He's like the master of cool sh it on this board (I'd say myself, but since I actually know a few of the bands I praise....and bash, I'll discount myself).
Old 10-09-2005, 11:22 AM   #14
pitseleh

Loy, that is an amazing title. Coming from you, I'm not worthy... I should just say "No, YOU are!". "No, you are!" "Nooo, YOU are!!". And so on...

Ok, let's stop short of wanking eachother off here. :P

Mortalitas, as much as I like giving recommendations, the stuff you mention - EBM, psytrance - is not so much what I'm into. What has already been mentioned should keep you occupied for a while, if you really check out everything.

I will however urge you to explore the world of Xiu Xiu. It is somewhat related to industrial music. Albeit not in the least danceable, unless you count rolling on the floor having a nervous breakdown. A very upsetting listen at times, but OH so good...
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 01:14 PM   #15
TeapotScar

I second pitseleh: Xiu Xiu is really unique in the combination of vocals and strange music. Sometimes it sounds like video game music in the background (like in Crank Heart) with the vocals of The Birthday Massacre or something. Very strange, very emotive, very good listen.

-Add me on myspace, because I'm pretty sure I've tried to add you! http://www.myspace.com/fermeztesyeux
TeapotScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:09 AM   #16
Junk Bond Trader

Xiu Xiu seems like an indie noise Pig Face with all their guest musicians and rotating lineup. Musically, though, I see the industrial comparison. It is industrial in the truest sense-like Throbbing Gristle and Missing Foundation.

I'm going to suggest a few:

American Watercolor Movement - this is a local band here from Jersey City:

http://americanwatercolormovement.com
http://www.emusic.com/album/10843/10843370.html

These are probably somewhat mainstream and already a few years old, so you may have heard of them already:

Bright Eyes (not industrial, but something I'd like to recommend regardless)
http://www.thestoryinthesoil.com/

Clinic
The Faint
British Sea Power
Franz Ferdinand

Not to downplay the goth scene, but the most gothic music in the post-punk sense, is happening outside the insular scene. I've seen too many bands that try too hard and have the wrong influences or are just trying to do something they're not very good at. There are more bands in the general indie rock scene, like The Raveonettes, The Kills, The Stills, Radio4, The Organ, Interpol etc. that to varying degrees get it more correct without trying to be goth bands than those who play the goth club circuit.

Last edited by Junk Bond Trader; 10-11-2005 at 08:11 AM. Reason: grammar
Junk Bond Trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:54 AM   #17
Junk Bond Trader

My post was not to slam the goth scene. I've seen many a band that was very good. One such example was a band I saw back in about '95 or '96 at the old Bank club in NYC. The Autumns. I don't know if they still exist, but they were very good. They opened for Requiem in White, a band that was a little too medieval and occult for my liking, but they were very good at what they did. And even though they were Sisters with a female vocalist, I used to enjoy seeing Sunshine Blind. Rosetta Stone was another Sisters knock-off, but they too were quite good at it. I think lately it's become a little too narrow--too many bands that sound like clones of NIN, DM, Siouxsie or Sisters. But that's just my opinion.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:18 PM   #18
Shemjazza

The Kills are cool, from what little i have heard, but back to Industrial, I Can reccomend
(like Xiu Xiu, not danceable... sorry)
MZ 412
Agahst
Eisterzende Neubatten (if noone has mentioned them already)
Raison D'etre
Archon Satani
Mostly Cold Meat Industries Bands/acts, But very cool none the less.
Shemjazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 02:10 PM   #19
Junk Bond Trader

Looking back, my suggestions are not remotely industrial, nor are they even goth, but then, I didn't intend to necessarily post artists from such genres. The original post was a bit vague, as some have mentioned, so I felt at liberty to suggest away randomly. Besides, everybody else took all the good ones! I would have mentioned FLA or Front 242, Nitzer Ebb or Skinny Puppy, but then who here doesn't know them, right? Looking back, though, I don't see Cabaret Voltaire on the list, so here it is:

CABARET VOLTAIRE

I might also mention Low Pop Suicide, Sister Machine Gun, The Hunger, Project Pitchfork, Crocodile Shop.

I mentioned in another thread that I've recently rediscovered a classic Aussie band called Hunters and Collectors. Led by Mark Seymour (brother of Nick Seymour of Crowded House), H&C or "The Hunnas," as they were known to fans, combined elements of kraut rock (the name comes from a Can song) with industrial and post punk. The industrial is only an element, so a word of caution: it probably will not sound anything like the ebm "industrial" you are probably used to. My personal favorite songs are "Talking to a Stranger" and "Alligator Engine." Their biggest song was "Throw Your Arms Around Me." It is good, but it is off one of their later albums and is more melodic. Of course, I think you said you are Australian, so it is entirely possible you know them. But I'll suggest these Aussie/ New Zealand artists as well, keeping in mind that these are not industrial but classic alternative adored by many people who like goth:

Split Enz, Hoodoo Gurus, Midnight Oil, Nick Cave/Bad Seeds/Birthday Party
Old 10-13-2005, 02:13 PM   #20
sartain

oh, nagnagnag is such a good song.... that made me happy by remembering it again... thanks Junk Bond
sartain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 01:57 AM   #21
mortalitas incomitatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExistentialDisorder
For other random themes/styles, I would suggest,

Tapping The Vein
The Cruxshadows

Hope you find something interesting among these.

~E.D.

cant thank you enough E_D for these two absolutly, loving them atm.
still getting around to the rest of your suggestions, when time permits i supose.

~cheers, mortalitas

:smile:

*another eliter*
Old 10-16-2005, 04:35 PM   #22
Loy

Pitseleh-thank you for your vote of confidence. However, as I said before, since I know a few of the bands I get a hard-on over, I have been accused of "conflict of interest". (Of course, I also have to point out that I despise KMFDM, and that hasn't really stopped us from our drunken jackasseries). So I will mention a few bands I don't know, have never been drunk with, etc

Velvet Underground/Lou Reed-the beginning point of every group that came after them. Seriously. And if that don't seem like much, remember this-the VU had been called the Americans most responsible for the fall of Communism in eastern Europe.

Jazz-how the fu ck can you call yourself a music fan and not know anything by Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Louis Armstrong, Billie Holliday, Glenn Miller, or Thelonious Monk? HOW!!!!?????

Industrial-I'm sure you've met lots of so-called "rivetheads" in your life, and I'm sure lots of them have given you their opinion on industrial music. Remember this-rivetheads don't know jack s hit about industrial music, period. Ask them about Throbbing Gristle, or SPK, or Cabaret Voltaire, or Chrome (OK, that's streaching it a bit, I know), or Einsturzende Neubauten, or Controlled Bleeding, or the Silver Apples, or.....oh hell, the list can go on.

Krautrock-German art rock of the 70's. Cool as f uck. Neu!, Can, Amoon Duul, etc.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:17 PM   #23
zexos

for your ebm electro industrial noise stuff go here

http://www.stormingthebase.com/base-news.asp

for your psy goa progressive stuff go here

http://www.psyshop.com/

and here

http://di.fm/

let me know if this helps
zexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 10:24 AM   #24
Junk Bond Trader

Hey, Mortalitas Incomitatus, by any chance, are you aware of a station in Australia called Triple J? I don't know how they are now, but I used to listen to it a number of years ago via their website, and it was awesome!
Old 10-19-2005, 11:09 AM   #25
mortalitas incomitatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Bond Trader
Hey, Mortalitas Incomitatus, by any chance, are you aware of a station in Australia called Triple J? I don't know how they are now, but I used to listen to it a number of years ago via their website, and it was awesome!

yeah JBT,
i know it they used to have a wicked segment called the three hours of power on thursday nites. it was awsome. lots of metal, lots of hardcore thrash.
but now triple J play shit loads of mainstream and hip-hop/R'n'B.
so i no longetr listen.
but yes it was a great station to listen to a long time ago (bout when i was 13!!!)
Cheers for the imput babe.
xxx
~mortalitas~

*another eliter*