Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
chelseagirl

Texas school says it's OK for students to wear black-as long as they aren't "goth"

Jr. high OK with black clothing

By ALAN NIESCHWIETZ / Staff Writer Monday, February 18, 2008 2:52 PM CST

The administration at Brenham Junior High is OK with students wearing black as long as you aren’t a “goth.”

Nobody likes being told what to wear or not wear, especially school-age kids, so when the student body mistakenly came under the impression that a ban on black clothing that applied to goth students also applied to everyone else, there was something of a brouhaha.

According to principal Artis Edwards, administrators never forbid the wearing of black for the student body as a whole, it was “another one of those rumors that was out there and they (the students) jumped on it.”

He said the entire thing got started early last week when administrators were trying to determine who among the black-clothed student body was and was not a goth. In addition to that, a student who had his black jacket decorated with padlocks temporarily taken away from him seemed to become a bigger event than it really was.

Edwards explained that schools in the Brenham school district have a long standing practice not allowing some students to wear clothing that identifies them as part of a group. This practice not only applies to groups such as gangs, but also to groups like goths.

He said that although there is not a definite cause and effect, young people who are also goths tend to suffer more from depression and self-destructive behavior, especially the practice of cutting one’s self.

In addition to being known for their affinity for black clothing, goths also frequently dye their hair black, sometimes wear make-up (both sexes) and often wear silver jewelry.

He said it is the administration’s duty to act to help protect the safety and well being of students and the banning black clothing in this case is a part of that.

“I’m not a psychiatrist, but when we see all black, we know what comes next,” he said.

Edwards said he held a “Black Out Day,” in which students were encouraged to wear black, on Friday to dispel the rumor that the ban on black applied to the student body as a whole.

He said he has nothing against black clothing and frequently wears it himself.

Regardless of the intentions behind the ban though, some see the effort as a bit heavy-handed.

A mother of a student who frequently wears black pants and T-shirts said her son was asked by administrators if he was a goth. In her eyes, a policy like the junior high’s unnecessarily gets the students riled up and is ultimately ineffective, she said.

“You can wear any color and cut yourself,” she said.

Some students see it a call to action as well, and started a Myspace group called “Against BJHS,” which has 27 members.

http://www.brenhambanner.com/article...ews/news02.txt

How utterly retarded.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:57 AM   #2
Tam Li Hua

I think that these folks are forgetting that it isn't the Goths who have been shooting up the schools lately.

[I know that sounds cold, but it's true; it's the regular people folks would "never suspect".]

If they had left it at the gang thing, then I could sort of understand it. But to go on thinking that just because a kid is 'Goth' then they are dangerous is just stupid and ignorant.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:00 AM   #3
KontanKarite

*sigh*

Black clothes, the bane of existence.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:07 AM   #4
KontanKarite

On another note, banning clothes as if wearing black magically makes you insane, does not stop someone from hurting others. But logic escapes most leaders. It's not what the problem is, but how the problem is presented. It's all about looks.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:52 AM   #5
AngelikDemonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseagirl
In addition to being known for their affinity for black clothing, goths also frequently dye their hair black, sometimes wear make-up (both sexes) and often wear silver jewelry.
The same can be said of supermodels, rockstars, movie stars, and pretty much anyone you come into contact with. What idiots.
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:21 AM   #6
Beneath the Shadows

If those morons want to prevent certain groups from wearing certain types of clothes, they need to institute a school uniform.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:10 AM   #7
Alethea

Easy way around that. "I'm not goth. I just like black." ^-^
Plus, isn't that invasive of the right to express oneself through clothing and fashion? It's like saying you can wear black all the time but you can't be goth, or do they wish to control what people wear everyday? And for that matter, if it was to prevent depression or shootings, then why does clothing have anything to do with it? I mean will forcing people to stop persuing their interests keep them from depression or dislike? Or will further instigate the idea that people who are themselves or express themselves via their interests are to be disliked? Or further grind the thought that those people who are affected by this rule are in fact hated or disliked for their clothing choice? What if you don't identify yourself as part of the gothic subculture, but enjoy dressing in a macrabe fashion? Yep. People are sure strange...

How are they able to define people based on lables for that matter? Eh. This school has a few screws loose. If they really wanted to effect every lable or subculter, shouldn't they simply assign a dress code?
Alethea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:12 AM   #8
blackwater1110

Where is this High School, exactly? I can't help but think it must be out in the middle of bum-fuck nowhere. Perhaps I'm in denial, but I really didn't think this whole politically correct censorship crap had yet gone as far as deciding your clothes for you, for your own good.
blackwater1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:17 AM   #9
KontanKarite

Remember, so long as you control what people look like, they wont want to kill you. Perfect logic.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:44 PM   #10
Pantherlette086

Wow, that's lame. I went to Texas schools. One school I went to had standardized dress, and one had casual (wear what u want). Damn, I was lucky.
Pantherlette086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:48 PM   #11
Miss Cogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
Remember, so long as you control what people look like, they wont want to kill you. Perfect logic.
When are people going to learn that, something like that doesn't always work, eh? You can never control people.
Miss Cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:52 PM   #12
Bete Noire

Oh for fucks sake that is utterly ridiculous.
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:56 PM   #13
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Cogs
When are people going to learn that, something like that doesn't always work, eh? You can never control people.

It never works. IF someone wants to kill someone, they're going to do it. It doesn't matter how many layers of fishnets they aren't allowed to wear.

I just find it sad that it's going to take yet another school shooting or massacre that enforces a dress code that's very anti-punk/goth to prove simple logic.

All they're doing is trying to ease the minds of fucking herd minded parents that couldn't reason themselves out of a burning shack.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:01 PM   #14
Tam Li Hua

This may be terribly cold, shallow, and morbid, but I hope the next school shooting involves someone in a bright pink outfit who is a die-hard fan of Barry Manilow or Destiny's Child.

[That having been said, I'd also like to go on record saying that I deeply wish there would be no more school shootings at all.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:02 PM   #15
dark_dragon_of_ice

It won't change a thing.
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:04 PM   #16
Lapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bete Noire
Oh for fucks sake that is utterly ridiculous.
(Nods)

Kontan is right too.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:25 PM   #17
Breathless Horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
Quoted for truth...and excellent use of sarcasm.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #18
Godslayer Jillian

I kid you not; I was absolutely expecting this to be about my high school.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:33 PM   #19
Graveyard.Crow

That is so funny. No seriously.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:11 AM   #20
A Simple Poet

Didn't George Strait once sing a song ...

"All my ex-goths live in Texas?
That's why I wear black paint in Tennessee?"

Run! Run for your LIVES! Run to Tennessee for freedom, my suppressed Texgoth friends!

Poop on George Strait anyway.

I'll shut up now.

My name is Will ... and I'm back from a glorious feeding.

Will on Facebook ... Identify yourself because I'm a proud, Facebook, recluse.
A Simple Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:03 AM   #21
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Don't they realize that real Goths would hang themselves in their closets instead of shooting a bunch of innocent people? O_o

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:17 AM   #22
blackwater1110

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
Don't they realize that real Goths would hang themselves in their closets instead of shooting a bunch of innocent people? O_o
Of course not. Manson's the leader of the goths, and he caused Columbine, remember?
blackwater1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:56 AM   #23
Delkaetre

My responses to this so far have been
- *snicker*
- no, seriously, wtf?
- *snicker*
- you poor, poor sods over in America. Heehee.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:24 PM   #24
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwater1110
Of course not. Manson's the leader of the goths, and he caused Columbine, remember?
If you were a more established member that joke might work. But seeing as I don't have any idea if you have a brain or not, both Mansons have nothing to do with goth, we have no established leader but if we did it would definately not be one of them. The guys who did Columbine were not goths , the goth subculture does not condone acts of hatred and unprovoked violence. If we were as violent as you claim would you still be alive right now?

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:33 PM   #25
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus
If you were a more established member that joke might work.
Yeah! No jokes until you've made 10, 000 posts!

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote