Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

View Poll Results: Goths wear black because:
They feel no need to express emotion through fashion 70 12.94%
Black is how they feel inside 114 21.07%
It looks smart, and suits the night time. 113 20.89%
Black being dominant, Goths are trying to dominate! 31 5.73%
other (please state) 213 39.37%
Voters: 541. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-2004, 11:03 PM   #51
Phantasm

Wearing black makes me feel powerful and separated from the mindless fools that so often surround me. The way people look at me and wonder about me feels good. In a way, I feel superior when I wear it.

I wear black quite a bit, but I like my share of color too. Plums, deep reds, grays, greens, etc. Nothing too bright, but I enjoy variety. Black must take up about half of my wardrobe. Even if I'm not wearing black one day, the type of clothing itself still sets me apart.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:44 PM   #52
gothica142004

y goths where black

:twisted: well i think goths where black to express their feelings and because thats their color
gothica142004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 06:32 AM   #53
OnMyOwn

i wear black for various reasons,the main one is thati like the way i look in it and the way i feel with them on,i also feel that all those opinions or selections u put in the poll are true cus most of the times i feel all those things when i wear my clothing,
OnMyOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 03:23 PM   #54
Dyre

Black on black

I don't know why other goths wear black so I won't speak for any one but myself. I wear black because I feel safer in the darkness. The spirits cannot hurt me when I wear my armor of shadows. Besides that, black is very slimming.
Dyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 03:38 PM   #55
MorganScorpion

I chose "Other".

Black is the most beautiful "colour", with its richness and depth; and it makes people who wear it look even more beautiful than they are already.
MorganScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 02:31 PM   #56
neophyte

Personally I wear black because it's easy. I walk into a store and all I have to do is find something thats black or goes well with it. It's nice that it's slimming. And most importantly I feel comfortable in black, I know it's the color I look best in, and that makes me more confident, which is good.
neophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 02:39 PM   #57
LOSTxINxMYxDREAMS

I, Personally, wear black for serveral reasons. (actually I only own 1 black sweater, 2 black shirts and 1 black tie, but hey, Black's my fav color.)

1. It makes me feel protected, like I can hide behind it.
2. It makes me feel powerful and important
3. I come from a school where 99% of the kids are Mexican Catholic, and I love it when they look at me wierd and call me "stoner" . . . because I'm noticed.
4. I'm not like everyone else.
5. It's so dark that it makes my skin stand out, and everyone is looking at my pale skin, instead of my cloths.
6. I look sexy in it.
7. It shows the inner me, not my school-girl brain, or my allways happy facade/attitude. . . but the true me. . the one no one else sees but me.
8. It brings out my eyes, and hair color.
9. . . .It makes the whole world seam better.

~Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease~
Jenn
LOSTxINxMYxDREAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 10:18 PM   #58
koehiir

other - my sig says it all. fits my personality
koehiir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 08:11 PM   #59
Emesis

I just wear black... I dunno why. I guess it just looks cool. And it goes with how I look anyhow(Black hair, pale). And I guess it's just because I feel like a complete fool wearing any other colors. In black, I feel good about myself. Probably because black looks better than any of those other colors, to me at least.
Emesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 04:26 PM   #60
slitwrist

black

I just really like the color. I like it when I'm walking on the street and I'm like the only one in all black and somtimes I'l see people staring And they'll just keep staring. I think that's so funny. Also I'm very insecure so I feel more confident in all black. I have many more reasons...
slitwrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 08:20 PM   #61
DyingWindsofUrn

So many possibilities

Perhaps goths wear black because our culture has turned it into something to symbolize one of two things, those being a period of mourning or something to fear. Maybe it's the facination with vampires and other nightly creatures that leads goths to dress in black. I can't really say why others do it, but I know why I do.

I dress in black, because I look damn good in it.
DyingWindsofUrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 10:58 PM   #62
n8ivetxn

black

It's our recognition of our 'shadow'

http://www.shadowdance.com/shadow/theshadow.html
http://www.insomnium.co.uk/text/jungshadow.htm
http://psikoloji.fisek.com.tr/jung/shadow.htm

46 and 2
n8ivetxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 08:35 PM   #63
comatoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by koehiir
other - my sig says it all. fits my personality
I agree with koehir

That and I love Johnny Cash.>!!! He is a god!!!!

One of the biggest compliments I got in H.S. was being called the man in black.

RIP Johnny
comatoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 10:10 AM   #64
DelicateHorror

Black isn't actually a colour. It's the absence of colour and light. I don't always wear it but when I do it's because it suits me or because I have to. Not that I'm actually bothered. I think it's the style of the clothes more than anything that actually makes them goth. Nearly everyone wears black at some point.
DelicateHorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 01:40 AM   #65
Skrabrug

I just wear black because i like black... i dunno about everyone else :?
Skrabrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 10:17 AM   #66
raven_of_mourning

well i chose other, and here is my reason... i am probably going to have a lynch mob after me for saying this but hey how can anyone say they have lived if they havent had one chasing them through streets.... goths wear black because other goths wear black (when i refert o goths i mean goths as a whole not the ones starting the fad... that will be referred to later) for the most part people like to belong to something, even if they want to belong to something that doesnt belong, and when people want to try to belong the people that already belong to said cliche make the rules for membership, someone who wears knit shirts, cargo shorts flip flops and has highlighted hair can pretty much never belong to the goth group, typically prep, why? is it because he doesnt have the same dark emotional state and intense hatred for other people that look down on people diferent from him/her? no it is because he doesnt look the part, he might try to say he is goth and what happens? current goths laugh at him saying he is a prep and to go listen to some pop music. thus he goes wanting to belong to a group of people that he shares a similar emotional state with buys black wears it tries to hang out with them untill he is excepted then when someone just like him comes along wanting to be goth but looking like a prep he will do the exact same again so as not to appear out of place to appear like he belongs with the other "goth members" and thus the cycle is repeated.
raven_of_mourning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 11:02 PM   #67
psyche

I wear black because...

DIRT DON'T SHOW!!!

Or blood.

Or whatever log shapey food object I ate for lunch.

Or bike grease.

Or the ten or so cups of coffee I drink daily... sometimes nightly.
"Focus your attention on the link between you and your death, without remorse or sadness or worrying. Let each of your acts be your last battle on earth. Only under those conditions will your acts have thier rightful power." ~Don Juan
psyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 11:14 AM   #68
Merlock

... yes, but fuzz does. Lots and lots of it. And it bothers me. I should start wearing more leather, less silk and velvet.
Merlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 11:45 AM   #69
Giga

I wear black because I like it. I just like black, I like the whole dark styling thing + it is hard to get dirty.
Giga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 06:23 AM   #70
Sephiroth_Magus_Macleod

wear black to honor my friends who have die an unnatural dead their 26 good people who miss very much that my reason.
Sephiroth_Magus_Macleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 03:03 PM   #71
Bodnoirbabe

black clothing

Well, i for own wear black because it reflects the way i feel inside and my interests. I am drawn to the darker aspects of life, so i reflect this by what i wear. I also wear reds and dark jewl tones. anything dark goes. It all reflects my interests. I would never be cought in anything pastel!
Bodnoirbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 04:31 PM   #72
Bloody_Hands

i wear black because going to the mall and looking at someone through my glazed over contacts lenzes (you know like the one storm weres in X-men) and then them turning their head real fast or turning around and start walking the other way and making security gaurds pick up the pace when i walk bye or just scaring the living hell out of people (especialy grown men) just gives me the satisfaction like no other,and going to church in black is fun as hell! :twisted:
Bloody_Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 10:27 AM   #73
lyn

i love clothes.. most of my clothes (though not all of them) are black. but i've had a fair share of reds and purples as well. i like black because it represents the whole me. i guess i look ok in other colors like pink or sky blue or yellow but i feel like im pretending to be someone else when i wear those other colors and that just CAN'T be. and black is just really really me.
lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 12:22 PM   #74
Wicked_Carousel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asurai
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnohell12
goths wear black because that is what goth is! people who don't wear black aren't goth. this dissapionts me since this a gothic website. i would have thunk that you would have known that. hu-lo! :evil:
One of the the gothest persons that I have ever seen was actually wearing nothing but white satin and white velvet -- she even had blonde hair ;-- but she still somehow had that deep, dark look and feel about her.
spawnohell12, you are mistaken. I'd have to agree that being goth isn't just about how you dress, it's about who you are as a human being - your character, your morals, your beliefs. It is about expressing your individuality in any way possible.
I wear black because it goes well with my skin tone and it flatters my figure. It is very basic, but black has an intensity to it that no other colour can claim to have, except for red, of course. Black and red go together like peanut butter and jelly.

*X Laura X*
Wicked_Carousel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 09:50 PM   #75
Abercrombie_Prep

I think goths wear black because they are trying to be cool, but in reality they are faggots who think they are cool when they are mocked even by the lowest of the low; they are the lowest rung of society.
Abercrombie_Prep is offline   Reply With Quote