Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:07 AM   #1
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Retro gaming

I am currently typing this post through VMware which allows a person to create a virtual computer within their computer to put it bluntly. On this virtual computer I have windows XP installed.

Why am I doing this? Simple, to try and get some old games to work that windows compatability mode just doesn't seem to work on.

Does anyone else like going back and playing old games from the 90s, that despite their old graphics, still have good gameplay?

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:17 AM   #2
Acharis

I do. Cosmos Cosmic Adventures and DOOM.

But I'm getting frustrated and giving up on them lately, as I can't save my progress and some games (Hand Of Fate) aren't compatible with Windows Vista. I'm using DOS Box.

VM Ware... I'll have a search for that, but may have some questions in future about what you did if that's ok?
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
Saya

I smell a Gnet Oregon Trail run.

I love old adventure games. Gabriel Knight: Sins Of The Fathers, The Secret of Monkey Island, King's Quest. I recently downloaded Laura Bow in the Dagger of Amon Ra but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

Acharis, not sure what the problem is, I had dos box on my old Vista computer and it also works fine on my Windows 7 laptop.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
Renatus

I think the best versions of Oregon trail were the 2nd and the 3rd. The 4th and the 5th were simply exactly like the 2nd with a stupid little animation that pops up here and there to force some history down the player's throat.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Old 11-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
Grausamkeit

Awwww, King's Quest! I remember those. My favorite was always the original Prince of Persia.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:56 AM   #6
Acharis

The main problem for me is that a lot of DOS Games are incompatible with the OS I have, Windows Vista (or so I'm told when I Google error messages and read help topics).

Something about not being able to support full screen mode. I successfully overcame this with Cosmo by being able to open a small window then press Alt and Enter to enlarge the screen... but it wouldn't do it for Hand Of Fate.

[img]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6107/6235105566_b5dec27046_b.jpg[img]

And when I tried another way I got an error message saying that HoF couldn't load a font.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
Yep I have been successful, the software itself was a bit temperamental in the first place so that had to be dealt with.

But what I used was VMware, a piece of software that lets me create a sort of "virtual computer" as I said before. It uses the hardware already present in my computer, as well as some storage to allocate to it, and a operating system that I have the program for, and within the allocated storage create a computer within my computer.

I learned how to do this in a college course I took, and fortunately for me they also provided me with the VMware program, as well as access to the windows XP and windows 7 operating systems. Unfortunately for you, it's not very cheap, from what I saw on their website, the VMware software alone can set you back about $200.

I actually have a portable 1 TB hard drive for this, since it has far more storage than I need at the moment, it was easy to spare 20GB for the virtual computer.

Of course all that software can be torrented I think.
So can that VMware software be used to have a different OS just on the virtual computer?

I was thinking of straight up changing to a different OS, but I'm not as tech savvy as I'd like and might go wrong somewhere... I don't want to have to get new drivers, or risk things not working together any more.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:15 AM   #7
Renatus

yep you can pretty much install any OS in your virtual machine. Saves you the pointless trouble of switching your whole computer to an older operating system. Pretty much if you look on the web you'll find this is the recommended way to do this.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:35 AM   #8
Acharis

Awesome, thanks for that. I'll hunt around and see if I can find something cheaper than VMware *crosses fingers*
Old 11-08-2011, 03:52 AM   #9
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharis View Post
Awesome, thanks for that. I'll hunt around and see if I can find something cheaper than VMware *crosses fingers*
Well I suppose you could download a trial version of it, and then download a pass key generator to bypass having to pay for it.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:02 PM   #10
gothicusmaximus

I have an Ecco the Dolphin ROM on my computer. Dolphins fucking rule.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:52 AM   #11
Judas

I've just been going with emulators. NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, and Playstation. Fuck yeah. I also have DosBOX for a few of those older PC games like Warcraft I and II and Raptor: Call of the Shadows, but I never got into PC gaming until this past decade, so I don't know many good PC games prior to then (and many of those I do work fine with Windows 7 in compatibility mode).
Judas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:23 PM   #12
Acharis

I just downloaded a nintendo 64 emulator (Project64) for Turokinosaur Hunter.

But still figuring out the controls.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #13
wolf moon

I sometimes play Oregon Trail through an emulator with coworkers on our lunch break. I've also got the iPhone app, but it's just too damn fancy, and not nearly as good.

All I have is a 3DS, and all I play are childhood games: Super Mario Bros, Legend of Zelda, PacMan, and Galaga. If they ever make Donkey Kong Country for it, I'll die happy.
wolf moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #14
Solumina

I've been playing a lot of the older Nintendo games on my Wii but there is a very slight time delay, I guess because your controller isn't wired in, usually it isn't a problem and you can adjust and just time your butting pushing accordingly but sometimes it makes things maddening.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #15
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
I've been playing a lot of the older Nintendo games on my Wii but there is a very slight time delay, I guess because your controller isn't wired in, usually it isn't a problem and you can adjust and just time your butting pushing accordingly but sometimes it makes things maddening.
Oh man, we had that bad when we were playing Ocarina of Time on old roommate's Wii. That narrow staircase you have to run up in the Fire Temple to get the hammer? Destroyed my soul, it was so frustrating.

Its weird talking about Ocarina as retro though
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #16
Solumina

Thankfully I don't have that problem as I still have a 64 (although I only have one controller as my brother managed to misplace all of the other ones), it is kind of weird to think of 64 games as being retro Ocarina came out 13 years ago.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:27 PM   #17
Ben Lahnger

Grim Fandango!

I also miss the old Hexen/Heretic games (they are cousins to Doom set in a fantasy world).

I bought a couple of NES systems specifically because I wanted to be able to play 4 player M.U.L.E. (I originally played the Electronic Arts release on Commodore 64.) But I could never get the old 4 controller adapter to work with the new style NES units.

BTW, doing the research for that little paragraph led me to find that there are several versions you can play online ...

http://www.atarimule.com/ - which looks exactly like the original

and http://www.planetmule.com/, a modern updating of the game that allows multiplayer against your friends or other internet players but keeps the charming supply and demand economics that made the original game so captivating.

So I'm pretty stoked about that!

Also, I actually miss the old Infocom text adventures. To my knowledge, only Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy has survived online.

Here's an updated online version of HGTTG that lets you save your game.

Anyone know if any of the other Infocom adventures are available online?

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:33 PM   #18
Ben Lahnger

Here's a nice Infocom tribute/museum website:

http://www.infocom-if.org/

Crap! I threw out "Leather Goddesses of Phobos" when I moved a few years ago, because I thought I'd never again have use for a game that comes on ten 3.5 inch disks. Now I see it sells for over $100. Crap!

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:09 AM   #19
Acharis

Okay, these are what I downloaded if anyone would enjoy.

Project 64 Nintendo Emulator

Turok: Dinosaur hunter zip file

And if anyone happens to figure out the control to move forward (rather than simply look up and down), much appreciated. XD
Old 11-13-2011, 01:47 AM   #20
Acharis

^ *headslap* Now that I think about it, that might require a joystick... I hope not.

How's Zelda? I actually have never played any of them.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:03 AM   #21
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharis View Post
Okay, these are what I downloaded if anyone would enjoy.

Project 64 Nintendo Emulator

Turok: Dinosaur hunter zip file

And if anyone happens to figure out the control to move forward (rather than simply look up and down), much appreciated. XD
Well if you want to adjust your controls just go to options and configure the controller plugin, but I'm guessing that's not what you meant. So I took the liberty of looking up a website that has info on such thigns and apparently you're supposed to use the c buttons (you know the little yellow buttons in the upper right part of the controller) to move.

http://patpend.net/manuals/n64/turok...ur_hunter.html
http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rid=26067

Old 11-13-2011, 07:09 AM   #22
Acharis

Oh, thanks man. I did try to comb through all the Google results to go read the manual - but I forgot to mention here that I'm using an emulator on a PC, not a game console like a Nintendo. So the controls are different, I've figured out a few of the keys but not the most important one.

I tried to configure the controller plug-in, but in the options it assumes I have an analog stick... so I think that absence of analog stick may be why I'm not getting very far.

Come to think of it, my friend who suggested I get a joystick may have also assumed I was using a game console instead of a PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus View Post
I have an Ecco the Dolphin ROM on my computer. Dolphins fucking rule.
I used to have the demo of that, and rediscovered it somewhere else many years later. It's not bad.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:44 AM   #23
Acharis

Damn 7 minute edit.

Nope. Even after hitting on the right question to ask only a few keys of this work. http://au.gamespot.com/turok/answers...m/pc?qid=21570

C or X = Change weapon, Z = Fire/stab, S = jump, directional keys on the number pad = switch between run and walk mode.

Spacebar, mouse, D W A E and R do nothing. Same goes for pressing the keys corresponding to the effective ones on the other side.

This is going to drive me nuts.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:20 AM   #24
Acharis

I've downloaded the ROM for Eternal Darkness:Sanity's Requiem and am trying to play it using the Dolphin emulator, but I've still got some troubleshooting to go. Despite my laptop being 64 bit it's saying that version won't work. *headdesk*

I'll dl the 32 bit emulator and try again.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:51 AM   #25
Garethsteen

I'm a huge fan of Heroes of Might and Magic III, I always play as the Necropolis. There is nothing more satisfying than assualting your enemie's fortresses with catapults, balistas and 4-5K of armoured skeletons (with a few vampires and Ghost Dragons for good measure). I went and bought a copy of the complete edition off Amazon fully optimised for Vista, but now I'm on 7. Figures.
Garethsteen is offline   Reply With Quote