Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:52 PM   #26
infoleather

Find a powerful vampire serious witch, where you can join or blow. You can also become a vampire lords, enables you to fly what it looks like.
infoleather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #27
AshleyO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvhQZoyZn1g

I swear to god... I am going to fucking beat the hell out of something.

This is Bethesda's second DLC for Skyrim?

THAT'S IT!?

Sure... it's cool... kinda.

But for the love of fuck! FIX Unarmed combat and introduce some interesting shit into the magic schools or so help me; I will write them a very stern letter.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #28
Versus

Pft. Looks like a polished version of user created content again.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #29
Versus

This is awesome beyond words. I have my mark on the tower roof of the arch-mages quarters. Fuck fast traveling to the college entrance. I'm too busy for walking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpQdB...layer_embedded

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #30
AshleyO

Woah dude. WOAH!

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #31
Versus

Doesn't that look fucking awesome?

Ill never understand why they removed those cool spells like levitation and water walking.

Remember the scrolls of Icarian flight from Morrowind? Or the boots of blinding speed?

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:04 PM   #32
AshleyO

You know what? YEAH! Why the fuck did they replace so much of the magic shit with dragon shouts? Mother fuck dragon shouts!

Old 08-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #33
Versus

Probably for a time sink. It makes the puzzles and stuff harder if you can't just float to the ledge above you. But for real, I wish they designed the game with that kind of freedom in mind. Shouts are interesting and all, but they have very limited application and they don't have room for creative problem solving like I feel try should. Right now I see them as basically the item in the Zelda dungeon that you need to progress, accept without the additional satisfaction of being able to use them to get to secret areas that you couldn't before.

I mean, Morrowind didn't have fast travel. It had teleports and the mark/recall spells instead. It's a little redundant to have them both as well as fast travel, but it's just fun. As an example, one of the Legacy of Kain games starts you off with the ability to become a mist to pass through closed gates and fences. It would have been just as easy to let the player just open the door, but it was cooler, however limited.

I'm still really disappointed with vampires. They could have done so much with it this time around after lessons learned from Oblivion. From my understanding of Dawnguard, you basically just turn into a werewolf that floats. So fucking what, you know? Oblivion had a vampire mod where you could shapeshift into a wolf and run hella fast, shapeshift into a bat and fly into the games ceiling at will (if you thought Elder scrolls was breath taking from the ground, I need to show you some map of the earth screenshots from the air), and my favorite was that you could become a mist immune from physical damage and fuckibg float into the air. It wasn't very game breaking, but it was just fucking fun. I don't need a spell to summon a ghostly merchant I can trade with, or an ethereal tanning rack, or a portal that takes me to a different plane with rare ingredients for alchemy... But they sure are a blast. Even little things that make unread books glow slightly, or making the screen blur and the character stumble when they drink are just fucking cool.

There's so much useless crap in Skyrim with wasted potential. Why are there cooking stations if the food you can make is so useless? Why are there Morrowindesque carriages if I can fast travel? The list goes on.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #34
AshleyO

Technically, the vampire lord form is better than just a floating werewolf to be fair.

Off the top of my head, the things I can recall the VF doing is teleportation short range during combat by turning into bats, raising the dead, sucking the life out of people, walk slowly but have stronger melee, or fly quickly and cast magic, raise Gargoyals...

It's not exactly useless. And the werewolf transformation is pretty cool for various reasons as well. They did flesh those out. Though I'd agree I feel they may not have gone far enough.

Hearthfire looks fun. I mean, I'll get it obviously. I like the idea of building a house from scratch in Skyrim. There's a lot of useful things the house you build can actually do, but I agree with the uselessness of the cooking thing.

Shouldn't cooking give a slight XP experience to your alchemy skill at least? Shouldn't the food you make give you certain status effects? Imagine playing as an alchemist who cooks poisonous food and just leaves bowls of poison porridge in a mark's house just to find out they died after eating it a couple hours later.

I agree with you though. There's so much crap they COULD have done that would have seemed intuitive and obvious, but it's like they stopped short of doing something amazing.

I'll give you one that just drives me fucking nuts. How hard could it have been for them to create armor dyes? What if you didn't want black Daedric armor but instead, you wanted red or white? Why offer at least 6 variants of fur armor yet you make no variations for other kinds of armor such as leather or hide or even dragonbone or what have you? There's this one leather armor a woodelf is wearing in the loading screens that YOU CAN NOT GET IN THE GAME and the design is so dope because it's the leather armor without those annoying giant pauldrans on the shoulders. It's fucking brilliant.

Matter of fact; why isn't there something cool like a dying system in the first place? Surely it couldn't have been that difficult to implement.

And the skin tones. Why not AT LEAST introduce that kind of skin toning that so many other games offer like the 256 color pallet so that you could create skintones that are either darker or much lighter than offered? It would be interesting to create an albino character for example. And for obvious reasons, it would be interesting to make very very dark complected characters as well.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #35
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
Technically, the vampire lord form is better than just a floating werewolf to be fair.

Off the top of my head, the things I can recall the VF doing is teleportation short range during combat by turning into bats, raising the dead, sucking the life out of people, walk slowly but have stronger melee, or fly quickly and cast magic, raise Gargoyals...

It's not exactly useless. And the werewolf transformation is pretty cool for various reasons as well. They did flesh those out. Though I'd agree I feel they may not have gone far enough.
I know where you're coming from. I wouldn't say it's useless per se, it's more that it's shit that's already in the game with different animations. It's not UNIQUE. You can do most of that without being a vampire. The kind of stuff I wished for was something different. I don't want the shout that makes you run somewhere really fast but with bats. I don't want an absorb health spell on a staff but with bats. You know?

Quote:
looks fun. I mean, I'll get it obviously. I like the idea of building a house from scratch in Skyrim. There's a lot of useful things the house you build can actually do, but I agree with the uselessness of the cooking thing.
It's neat, sure. I don't think I'll touch it, though. I don't like to micro-manage my stuff in the game, and raising kids to not be racist sounds like a pain in the ass. Seriously, though; just not my thing. I am thinking about Dawnguard, though. I'm not a vampire, but I'm thinking about it to give it a try. Is the story alright?

Quote:
Shouldn't cooking give a slight XP experience to your alchemy skill at least? Shouldn't the food you make give you certain status effects? Imagine playing as an alchemist who cooks poisonous food and just leaves bowls of poison porridge in a mark's house just to find out they died after eating it a couple hours later.
Yes. They did that with the poisoned apples in Oblivion and I hoped they would expand on it. Honestly, I considered getting a mod that makes you have to eat and sleep to live, but I decided against it. I love those mods for Fallout where survival should be a key element to immersion, but I don't think it could be done in Skyrim without being intrusive. Food and a safe place to sleep isn't exactly a hard thing to come by and I imagine it just being annoying. There are mods where you suffer from hypothermia due to exposure to cold weather and climates, but again, it's not really something I want in a fantasy game. I liked the radiation rain I had in Fallout 3 and I wish someone would make a UV exposure mod for New Vegas because that's a major theme for those games and environmental danger doesn't seem right in a stable world with magicical talking dogs.

An experience bonus for food would be pretty kickass, though. I like that better then just stat boosts. I experimented with playing a drug addict in Fallout and I honestly just forgot about stockig up on chems. It wasn't a thing to me.

Quote:
I agree with you though. There's so much crap they COULD have done that would have seemed intuitive and obvious, but it's like they stopped short of doing something amazing.
Yeah. I find myself having to artificially implement self-imposed game mechanics. Playing without fast travel and as a pacifist who only uses illusion magic to fight people is a blast. Well, up until level 30 probably. Stupid magic doesn't scale with skill...

Quote:
I'll give you one that just drives me fucking nuts. How hard could it have been for them to create armor dyes? What if you didn't want black Daedric armor but instead, you wanted red or white? Why offer at least 6 variants of fur armor yet you make no variations for other kinds of armor such as leather or hide or even dragonbone or what have you? There's this one leather armor a woodelf is wearing in the loading screens that YOU CAN NOT GET IN THE GAME and the design is so dope because it's the leather armor without those annoying giant pauldrans on the shoulders. It's fucking brilliant.

Matter of fact; why isn't there something cool like a dying system in the first place? Surely it couldn't have been that difficult to implement.
I feel your pain. With a few exceptions, I can't stand any of the armor appearances. They aren't bad or anything, it just sucks that if I want to play a barbian in fur armor, I gimp myself. And that's like half of the mods I use.

This guy is fucking amazing and should be contacted for DLC armor designs RIGHT THE FUCK now.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/19733

Quote:
And the skin tones. Why not AT LEAST introduce that kind of skin toning that so many other games offer like the 256 color pallet so that you could create skintones that are either darker or much lighter than offered? It would be interesting to create an albino character for example. And for obvious reasons, it would be interesting to make very very dark complected characters as well.
UGH.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #36
AshleyO

*sigh*

I said this to the other PC owners about Dawnguard.

It's actually worth 20 dollars. It really is. But I can understand why someone wouldn't get it if they had a PC. I think the PC can totally benefit from getting it though.

Dawnguard's story is fairly decent. You learn a lot about vampires and there's some cool gear to be had at the end, especially after you become a vampire. You tend to get certain buffs as a vamp obviously, but then towards the end, there's a certain thing you can get that takes one of the vampire's main weaknesses away, which makes it interesting.

I would say that the new armors and stuff are cool, but then seeing the armors you just linked kind of negates that opinion.

Crossbows? They're worthy. The feel more like a gun and you can actually craft elemental bolts. So you could make an enhanced crossbow that ignores 50% armor, double enchant it with whatever you want, and then attack people with an elemental bolt. It's possible to make a crossbow with lightning and fire damage that fires an ice bolt for example, causing ALL the forms of magical damage.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #37
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
*sigh*

I said this to the other PC owners about Dawnguard.

It's actually worth 20 dollars. It really is. But I can understand why someone wouldn't get it if they had a PC. I think the PC can totally benefit from getting it though.

Dawnguard's story is fairly decent. You learn a lot about vampires and there's some cool gear to be had at the end, especially after you become a vampire. You tend to get certain buffs as a vamp obviously, but then towards the end, there's a certain thing you can get that takes one of the vampire's main weaknesses away, which makes it interesting.
I'm sold. XD How many hours is the content, would you say? Is it scaled for low level characters, or do I need to wait until like level 50?

Quote:
I would say that the new armors and stuff are cool, but then seeing the armors you just linked kind of negates that opinion.
It totally doesn't negate it!

Quote:
Crossbows? They're worthy. The feel more like a gun and you can actually craft elemental bolts. So you could make an enhanced crossbow that ignores 50% armor, double enchant it with whatever you want, and then attack people with an elemental bolt. It's possible to make a crossbow with lightning and fire damage that fires an ice bolt for example, causing ALL the forms of magical damage.
Two words: Paralyze. Poison.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #38
AshleyO

Well I guess if you stretch it a bit, you could poison your weapon and get the paralyzing shot perk in archery. But being able to do all 5 sounds cool until you realize you're pretty much one shoting everything you see by then.

The length of the story is a little bit longer than the thieves guild story. Plus, there are two ways to play the story even though both ways aren't too different from each other to be honest.

I will mention one thing. Armored trolls and armored Alaskan Huskies...

Unless you'd rather have an undead hellhound following you around that causes cold damage to enemies. That's cool too.

I also forget that vampires become much more strident in their attacks. They can and usually attack cities at night and have been known to murder merchants because fuck you that's why. Apparently.

You can start the Dawnguard quest at level 9.

A couple things I've left out; but if you honestly haven't looked into Dawnguard fully then you might be pleasantly surprised by what it has to offer.

Also... each faction offers side quests, so it's not just one big extra story either.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:54 AM   #39
Murder.Of.Crows

I would fucking love a dye system. Yay for character creation, but to hell with you if you actually want to look nice. My character is dressed in some fuzzy shit that looks like someone skinned a toy poodle.

And I was so cool with archery in this game, until I became lvl 20 and realized my bow wasn't doing crap. I already got it in my head that I am an awesome ranger, living off the lands. Stealthily crawling through the bowels of dungeons. Now, the game almost always forces me into having to use a shield. Something I haven't used since Helgen. And, fuck the magic. Seriously, one spell shouldn't practically drain me. It makes me think that if I were a mage, I'd be fucked.

I would really enjoy being able to take the path of the thief while still retaining my moral high ground as well. I even read on a loading screen, those under the sign of the thief aren't all criminals. So i was all cool with taking that path, but the only way to go actually go through and join the Thieves guild, is some serious debauchery. It's bad enough the Deidra Gods are forcing me to do crazy shit.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:53 AM   #40
AshleyO

Yeah, the thieves guild is more like a mafia or something. I'm sure the Gray Fox doesn't approve.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #41
Versus

The magic skill trees largely mitigate magika consumption, to be honest. And even then, you can really up your game with enchanting because you can make your stuff so powerful that certain schools are free and your magic regenerates over 200% faster. The problem is that offensive magic doesn't scale and is horribly underpowered.

You have to remember that the enemies are scaled to your level, not your skills. If you reached leveled 20 through enchanting, smithing, speechcraft, lock picking, and alchemy, you'll be fighting level 20 enemies with a 15 or 20 in your combat skills, you know?

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #42
AshleyO

Heh. Yeah. It's a god damned weird thing.

Unfortunately, if you focus only on one type of armor and one combat skill like... one handed and just grind the shit out of those skills and pump all levels into health, you can just mow through just about anything.

The magick skills need a fix. Desperately. It's cool that you can enchant anything and get 100% mana reduction costs on your spells, but those spells can not go toe to toe with a dragon.

What's sad is that the master spells of magicka are piss poor. Give us something with some UMPH.

Unfortunately, there's not even any enchantments that will raise the effectiveness of your spells either. Oh sure, you can reduce the cost of your spells by 100% by enchanting, but then what good is that when all you're doing is 20 or 30 fire damage?

With the Magicka skills, you have to be able to LAY THEM THE FUCK OUT.

Shit. You can go two handed early game and just mow down everyone you see with no problems.

Just no balance, man.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #43
Versus

Alteration and Illusion have very powerful master spells. If you haven't cleared a dungeon of enemies without lifting a finger, I suggest you do so.

But you're right. Destruction spells are mostly bad.

UNTIL YOU GET A MOD THAT MAKES THEM SCALE WITH LEVEL AND CAUSE KNOCK BACK LIKE THAT FIRST SHOUT MUWAHAHAHAHAHA.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #44
Versus

Relevant.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #45
AshleyO

Robert Smith?

Old 09-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #46
Versus

I actually chuckled when I read that. You just don't understand me.

Also, bear cloaks are cool.

As are motherfucking mountains with cool sky textures.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #47
AshleyO

...Show off.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #48
Versus

Don't mind if I do!

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:35 AM   #49
Murder.Of.Crows

alright already! I get it, my compy needs to be replaced.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #50
Versus

Pfft. My game isn't even the greatest. Look at some other people's screenshots:

-Breathin, Tupac.