Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 09-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
Murder.Of.Crows

Mitt Romney's photo op with a Vietnam veteran.

I was recently linked this video. Decided to share.

http://www.upworthy.com/mitt-romney-...ess-ensues?g=2
Old 09-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
Solumina

I don't really have much to say other than I liked the video and I liked the crusty old man.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder.Of.Crows View Post
I was recently linked this video. Decided to share.

http://www.upworthy.com/mitt-romney-...ess-ensues?g=2
https://www.gothic.net/boards/showpo...3&postcount=77
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Versus

Oh. My bad. You posted it a day earlier then me. XD

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
Murder.Of.Crows

Yeah, I didn't say anything though. XD
Old 09-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
ape descendant

LOL I bet Mittens thought he was safe talking to a Vet. *evil laugh*

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #7
Murder.Of.Crows

I find it discerning that when confronted with his ideals, his immediate action is to stumble upon words and get the hell out of Dodge. Seriously, how is he even a possibility for president? How the hell do people think this guy can actually do anything for the country?
Old 09-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
Alan

I actually kind of like Romney

Reason being he wasn't - and I'm sure isn't - this ultra right wing candidate that wants to end all medicare and fuck the poor and give tax cuts to the rich. He was just forced to become a caricature against his own will, if he wanted to have a chance at becoming a presidential candidate. He had to compete with idiots like Bachmann, Santorum, and Paul, and now he has to make sure Ryan doesn't outshine him, because in contemporary conservative politics it's not sensibility that makes someone great, but stubbornness and hatred. He reminds me of Pierre Delacroix in Bamboozled; not because there's a direct parallel, but because I feel they traveled the same line of flight in their own plateaus.
I like when he stumbles and 'flip flops', but not due to how most people who oppose him derive pleasure from his gaffes. Every time he stumbles, I remember how relatively moderate he was. People accuse him of being a flip flopper, but what I see is instead an old man trying to juggle his political stance with the need for respect in a changing political party. His type of Republicanism is old news, and I want to believe that makes him sad every day, and he has a hard time swallowing his own bullshit, because the saddest part is that in this case what is old and dying is the pragmatic approach, the Nixonian 'silent majority', in favor of the paradoxical abomination that is young people becoming proud of being reactionary and elitist.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #9
ape descendant

Fuck you, he's totally anti-gay and anti-woman, by his OWN adamant admission.

Wait a sec, did I just get Poe'd?

Be Kind
Old 09-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #10
Alan

No. I'm dead serious. And if you don't get where I'm coming from then you don't understand politics further from your own.
real classy
Old 09-13-2012, 02:55 AM   #11
AshleyO

I think I get where Alan is coming from.

I'm just not sure if I can believe all of it.

I'd like to think that Romney is the way he is because his party is just far too severe for him but he's got all these other mad dogs who REALLY ARE crazy.

Then again, I've always kind of felt that what we're seeing is also not just a bunch of mad dogs encroaching on an amiable Romney.

Sometimes I think it's a generational thing. The death throes of the Boomers. They enjoyed a seemingly charmed life and all of it is crashing down around their ears and they seem to have a hard time understanding that the old solutions to such problems just don't work anymore.

Then again, I could be wrong. They all probably could be Captain Planet villains.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:10 AM   #12
Murder.Of.Crows

I think your on to something with that Ashley. It most likely is a generational thing and many differences in acceptable ideas.

With Mitt Romney though, what we have to go on is what is written on his poster. If he is just trying to please his evil masters, then all we have to go on about him is someone who wants to please those villains. Of course his opinions may be made more clear once he doesn't have a over bearing party of what he should say. Unfortunately, I don't like the things that he is saying and I feel like there shouldn't be a chance for me to be proven wrong.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:10 AM   #13
Saya

Funny, I think that about the whole Clint Eastwood thing. Eastwood is pro gay marriage and pro-choice. He's from a time where those things weren't necessarily contrary with the Republican Party.

And yeah, I don't think Romney was always this right-wing, but at the same time I really can't dig anyone who's willing to compromise that much just for power. I thought McCain was a sensible guy until he ran. And it wouldn't stop after election.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:29 AM   #14
BourbonBoy

I think a lot of it has to do with the Republicans getting hijacked by fanatics, be it religious, big business or the Tea Baggers. Compared to the other clowns that ran against him in the primaries, you really can't blame the voters for saying, "Anything but Michelle Bachmann, Rick Perry, Ron Paul or Newt Gingrich." Now that he's on the national level, all he really can do is parrot what's been stated and repeated for the last 20 years about small government, low taxes (but never stated who the lower taxes is for), hyper military spending and making America the way it used to be.

What's sad is people will vote for him strictly on party or racial lines rather than listen to what either of the candidates have to say.
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:48 AM   #15
edorien

As a non-American, I can sort of see his appeal.

His views expressed by the candiates on science & technology do seem to be more though out and likely better in the long run for America in those fields, even though some of his views on societal issues are not exactly pleasant. Although it's sad that yet again the us election seem to be focusing on the same set of issues/policies as those 4/8/12/... years ago.

Personally, I would have liked to see paul get the nomination, not because I agree with his views but because giving his crazy christian reconstructionalist/neo-confederate ideas that potent a platform would likely shock the more moderate elements of the society into getting their act together in pushing for reforms in the political circus
edorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:41 AM   #16
AshleyO

Edorien.

I'm wary that you underestimate Ron Paul's gravity.

He really resonates with those who haven't really thought about their politics and are just fed up with what's going on without giving it any real understanding. Now you've got this guy who's saying he's gonna cripple the federal government and these people buy into it hook, line, and sinker because they think the less the government messes with them, the less problems there will be.

Those people are reactionary and they are many and they happen to be anti-war for the most part.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #17
ape descendant

Yeah, I guess I get a little caught up over ladies reproductive choices, and GSM rights as those things affect my life every day and are still being fought for. Sorry if having priorities like this bugs you but I'm not going to vote against my own interests. Preference =/= ignorance.

Be Kind
Old 09-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #18
edorien

Quote:
I'm wary that you underestimate Ron Paul's gravity.
It's not really that, I fully recognize that his policies would have crippled your government, undone a large chunk of social progress that has been made, and destabilized the middle-east, africa and some parts of the pacific.
However in the ideal case, placing obama and paul is opposition would have likely resulted in a swing away from the more extreme positions and a lessening of the influence of the religious right, as more people get involved ( voter participation in us ~55%, uk ~68%, germany 80%)

But as that's not happened, it looks a lot like these elections won't stimulate any real change in the system and idiocy like this

Quote:
Limbaugh was making that point Monday. Limbaugh said “Romney is not the perfect candidate. That does not matter,” he said. “Romney, the best thing he can do is remember this election isn't about him. He may as well be Elmer Fudd as far as we're concerned. We're voting against Obama.
will continue.
edorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #19
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
Yeah, I guess I get a little caught up over ladies reproductive choices, and GSM rights as those things affect my life every day and are still being fought for. Sorry if having priorities like this bugs you but I'm not going to vote against my own interests. Preference =/= ignorance.
I never said vote for Romney, but good thing that you let us know you won't give a shit about critical thinking if the mere possibility of understanding where other people are coming from causes friction against where you're coming from. That's real smart.
real classy
Old 09-14-2012, 10:46 AM   #20
ape descendant

Maybe I already know, and I'm tired of others seriously not getting where people like me are coming from.

I've done my critical thinking while watching the war on women unfold. The last thing we'd need is a fuck like Romney in there circle-jerking with a republican majority in congress.

Of course its not going to occur to you to give a fuck about what it means for women, not your problem, right? Of course there's going to be fucking friction, not because I'm a blathering moron who can't see things from different points of view, but because every time I am asked to do so I am always the one who has to give up issues that are important to me for a whole lotta nuthin'

I know you didn't say "go out and vote Romney", but some shit's just a little close to home for me to want to play with mentally.

Be Kind
Old 09-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #21
Alan

So you prefer a GOP that looks like Ryan and Ron Paul?
Is it all the same shit to you because you don't give a shit whether your enemy is a moderate conservative or a pseudofascist misanthrope, because in the end they're your enemy?
Can't you see how stupidly blind that is?
real classy
Old 09-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #22
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BourbonBoy View Post
I think a lot of it has to do with the Republicans getting hijacked by fanatics, be it religious, big business or the Tea Baggers. Compared to the other clowns that ran against him in the primaries, you really can't blame the voters for saying, "Anything but Michelle Bachmann, Rick Perry, Ron Paul or Newt Gingrich." Now that he's on the national level, all he really can do is parrot what's been stated and repeated for the last 20 years about small government, low taxes (but never stated who the lower taxes is for), hyper military spending and making America the way it used to be.

What's sad is people will vote for him strictly on party or racial lines rather than listen to what either of the candidates have to say.
I don't think the Republican party got hijacked, I think the Republican party knew very well who they were getting in bed with when they started catering to the ultra-conservative and the racist. And it was a long primary for the Republicans, they weren't as united as they usually are. They settle on Romney, I don't think its an "anything but" thing.

And I get where ape descendant is coming from because Romney being previously moderate isn't gong to mean shit if he's president. Obama certainly had to compromise on his campaign promises (remember when he was for nuclear disarmament and closing Guantanamo Bay?), Romney is surrounding himself with nutjobs who won't let him forget it. Even Bush probably wouldn't have been so bad if he didn't surround himself with yes men and aides who believed in pre-emptive war.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #23
Alan

Good thing you get where she's coming from, 'cause she wouldn't extend you the same favor if you ever talk about comprehension.
I wonder if she's ever told the NAACP to fuck off because Martin Luther King Jr. didn't favor homosexuality. Or is that different because she hadn't thought through the stupidity of her rant?
real classy
Old 09-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #24
Saya

I doubt she does that for absolutely everyone, we just all got our limits. At least King never promised that he'd be a champion of LGBT rights, like Romney once promised. MLK was also, obviously, a black man in a time before the LGBT movement really got on a roll, and even if he was around today and still had those views, its really up to black people to critique their leaders for this kind of thing, not white people. Romney, obviously, is white, Ape is certainly in her right to collect our trash.

Plus, there's nothing redeemable about Romney's position, other than "it could be worse"!
Old 09-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #25
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I doubt she does that for absolutely everyone, we just all got our limits. At least King never promised that he'd be a champion of LGBT rights, like Romney once promised. MLK was also, obviously, a black man in a time before the LGBT movement really got on a roll, and even if he was around today and still had those views, its really up to black people to critique their leaders for this kind of thing, not white people. Romney, obviously, is white, Ape is certainly in her right to collect our trash.

Plus, there's nothing redeemable about Romney's position, other than "it could be worse"!
Sounds like homophobic apologism to me!

/badally

-Breathin, Tupac.