Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:39 PM   #26
Sephiroth Kali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Jack View Post
Who says we have to respect your opinion. Not every opinion is correct.

edit: whatever, we've been over this so many times, and the anti-steampunk side won every time, so I just can't be bothered anymore...
And what is correct? What is true? Who is right? What is cool. I swear these new goths are so fucking close minded.
Sephiroth Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:45 PM   #27
SweetJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth Kali View Post
And what is correct? What is true? Who is right? What is cool. I swear these new goths are so fucking close minded.
I also call shinanigans about people bitching about steam punk being called "these new goths". Steam Punks are "these new goths". They suck.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:13 AM   #28
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Well, we aren't exactly known for lovey-dovey group hugs. Let's leave that to the hippie goffs. :P

Really, I'm not trying outright attack anyone but seedy, underground Victoriana could stand some showing off.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:01 AM   #29
The Divine Ms. M

Here's another site to check out...http://www.clockworkcouture.com
The Divine Ms. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:19 AM   #30
The Divine Ms. M

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavelockV View Post
For a very wide selection of Victorian/Edwardian/Early 20th Century dress styles, I would reccomend http://www.recollections.biz/. The company offers a wide range of interesting designs, great latitude in custom sizing and fabric choices, and prices are generally fair. For my part, I only lament that they offer precious little in the way of period male fashions.
Thanks for the site...some lovely stuff! I must agree w/you: when I feel like going all out, I dress in a bustle skirt w/ruffle shirts complete w/hat & fishnet fingerless gloves but I don't do it all the time. Yes, it's not for all, but to each his or her own right? Anyway, I would so wear this...http://recollections.biz/Merchant2/m...de=HoopSkirted Not sure if I'd wear it in purple though. Maybe...
The Divine Ms. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:36 AM   #31
Sephiroth Kali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly PopMuzik View Post
Well, we aren't exactly known for lovey-dovey group hugs. Let's leave that to the hippie goffs. :P

Really, I'm not trying outright attack anyone but seedy, underground Victoriana could stand some showing off.
Why? Whats the point? What is the benefit? I consider myself a realist most of the time, sarcasm has its place in our history, in our very subculture, yet that should be directed outwards towards society, not inwards towards ourselves. When we open our eyes and close our mouths, we can learn about the world, and what is necessary to change it. Reach beyond the borders of the mind, and enjoy life in all its pleasure and pain. Then you can enjoy the true freedom of goth,
Sephiroth Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:20 PM   #32
blindNsect

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Divine Ms. M View Post
Here's another site to check out...http://www.clockworkcouture.com

Some interesting things on this site.
blindNsect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:21 PM   #33
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Why? Whats the point? What is the benefit? I consider myself a realist most of the time, sarcasm has its place in our history, in our very subculture, yet that should be directed outwards towards society, not inwards towards ourselves. When we open our eyes and close our mouths, we can learn about the world, and what is necessary to change it. Reach beyond the borders of the mind, and enjoy life in all its pleasure and pain. Then you can enjoy the true freedom of goth,
If you were a realist about this, you would agree that goth is not a happy sing-along utopia and spending your days worrying about people ripping on cravats and bustles is no way to go through life.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:58 PM   #34
Saya

Quote:
Can someone tell me when talking about goth started sounding a lot like religious dogma?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:25 PM   #35
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Can someone tell me when talking about goth started sounding a lot like religious dogma?
When people started using the humorous cliches of patchouli and clove scented velvet clad archetypes as snake oil for their lack of a personality.

Seriously, take all of these, suck the fun and hepness out and replace them with "lifestyle" and "beauty in darkness" whinging that would make even Vermilion and Moon Raven from Gloom Cookie facepalm and well...
Old 10-19-2009, 05:15 PM   #36
SweetJane

Quote:
BLAH BLAH BLAH I'm a fucking hippy who needs everyone to like me BLAHBLAHBLAH subculture actually means something usefull BLAHBLAHBLAH

Don't you understand that that gothic subculture is not one of active non-participation, or 'counterculture'? It's a SUB-culture, which means goth as a movement never leaves the teet of the host culture. Things that are wrong within the goth subculture are often the same things that are wrong with the rest of society.

Steam punk is a good example of style-over substance marketing that stems from a need for escapism. The idea of dressing and acting like a victorian aristocrat(uh... from the future?!) is a slap in the face to anyone who understands history and class conciousness. It's expensive, it's impractical, it's... well... to quote my friend's punk band from highschool about emo kids...

"You fucking posuer,
You're wearing three goddamn belts.
Go home and cry while you cut yourself.
Fuck [Steam Punk]
Fuck you too!
Go fuck off.
Fuck you!"
Old 10-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #37
HavelockV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly PopMuzik View Post
If you were a realist about this, you would agree that goth is not a happy sing-along utopia and spending your days worrying about people ripping on cravats and bustles is no way to go through life.
Forgive my insolence, Miss Lolly, but it seems to me that ripping on people who do wear cravats and bustles seems like no way to go through life either. *rougish grin*

In any case, forgive me if I sounded uncivil in my previous posting to you in this thread. It seems we've agreed to disagree about our views regarding Victoriana and its more patrician offshoots.
HavelockV is offline   Reply With Quote