Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:32 AM   #26
Anarasha

Sounds effective, but I loathe tea and lemon water :p
Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:28 AM   #27
Pineapple_Juice

Fuck it, I was going to go on about this stupid diet they make severely fat people go on when they're gonna do a surgery and they need to drop an extra 30 or so very quickly, but then I realized how stupid of me that was.

Geo, fast your little heart away. This means more food for me.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:49 AM   #28
Anarasha

I think that making fat people who need surgery lose an insane amount of weight is ridiculous. If they could lose 30 pounds on their own, they wouldn't need the bloody surgery.
On a different note, I have actually been fasting since midnight, that's 18 hours now.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:03 AM   #29
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarasha View Post
I think that making fat people who need surgery lose an insane amount of weight is ridiculous. If they could lose 30 pounds on their own, they wouldn't need the bloody surgery.
That is inaccurate. Frequently, when surgery is necessary (at the point the doctor is saying this, it's no longer a matter of choice) they make the patient lose weight because it decreases the risk of complications after surgery. Whether the person could lose the weight on their own is irrelevant at that point. And whether they would have needed the surgery if they had kept their weight down on their own is immaterial.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:12 AM   #30
Anarasha

I know that, but what if said fat person really can't lose weight?
Old 02-22-2010, 10:13 AM   #31
honeythorn

You should stay away from the milk if fasting I'd say, but I would hazard a guess that unsweetened natural fruit juices would be relatively ok.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #32
Anarasha

I am not fasting for a weight loss though, I am fasting for the mental empowerment of proving to myself that I do not NEED food for an entire day, therefore making the point that I do not NEED to eat as much as I have been. I think it might just have worked, too.
I realized that despite what I have been saying left and right and whatever bad excuses about genes and body structure and bla bla bla I might have made, I eat because I want to, not because I need to.
This might enable me to move on in my personal development, and thereby my fasting period of 19+ hours has had the effect I was going for =)
Old 02-22-2010, 10:29 AM   #33
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
I know that, but what if said fat person really can't lose weight?
Then the surgery becomes riskier, and in some instances doctors will refuse to perform it.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 02-22-2010, 10:42 AM   #34
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerGirl View Post
I hear the Lemonade diet is pretty effective too
It helped a girl in my class lose 10 lbs in 3 days :3 - I don't know if she was just losing water and not body fat...but she looked a lot thinner after the xmas holidays. Around 20 lbs thinner maybe?

You can read more about it here: http://diet.lovetoknow.com/wiki/The_Lemonade_Diet
You can't lose ten-pounds in three days. It's just water-weight.

I dropped about 40 pounds in 54 days, and that was due to working out, all day, every day.

Even when I was burning an average of 6,000 calories a day, I couldn't even lose one pound per day. Do you really think you're gonna lose ten pounds in three drinking lemonade?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:43 AM   #35
Anarasha

I would claim that refusing the surgery is riskier yet.
(My fasting period is hereby over, I lasted for 19 hours and 30 minutes before I ate, not out of hunger but because my energy left me and I needed to replenish it for a day at the gym tomorrow.)
I have considered a powder diet to recude my body weight down to the point where I can work out or just move around without pain so I can actually lose some weight. Any thoughts on this?
Old 02-22-2010, 11:06 AM   #36
FlowerGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
You can't lose ten-pounds in three days. It's just water-weight.

I dropped about 40 pounds in 54 days, and that was due to working out, all day, every day.

Even when I was burning an average of 6,000 calories a day, I couldn't even lose one pound per day. Do you really think you're gonna lose ten pounds in three drinking lemonade?
That's what I thought. She claimed she had lost 10 pounds. It makes sense that it was water-weight she lost and not fat; to lose weight in a way you won't gain it back, you need to alter your eating habits and engage in an active lifestyle. Plus age and metabollism make a difference. May I ask how old are you?
Old 02-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #37
Despanan

26. I lost the weight when I was 24.
Quote:
Old 02-22-2010, 11:16 AM   #38
Mir

26 years of creamy goodness rolled up into one yummy package.

---

I vote amphetamines for weight-loss.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:28 AM   #39
FlowerGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir View Post
I vote amphetamines for weight-loss.
True...but they fuck your emotions up, which is the downside of using it.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:20 PM   #40
Saya

I guess I'm late, but milk was a no no when we did 30 Hour, juice was fine. You got to drink a lot too.

But really, I'm still uncomfortable with the idea of fasting for anything other than religious reasons, and thats kinda crazy enough to torture yourself into having a spiritual experience. There's like a bajillion websites though that claims how awesome fasting is and I just can't see it being any good.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:29 PM   #41
Corpsey

Last time I checked, Endorphins are naturally released during the fasting process as some kind of stress mechanism. So if you are truely starving from Famine, you don't get so worried about it, but if you live a life of luxury and decide to stop eating it would be some people who would post on a bajilion websites about how good it is because they would get a feel good rise from it.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #42
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
I would claim that refusing the surgery is riskier yet.
And yet in this age of medical malpractice suits and ambulance chasing shysters funding most of the afternoon trash programming on my television, doctors have to make ethical and legal choices. If a patient refuses to follow directions and increases the risk of a surgical procedure, the doctor has to know if he proceeds with the surgery and the patient dies, juries will hold him responsible and not the patient.

If I was a doctor and had to weigh the risk of going ahead with a more dangerous procedure and encouraging a higher risk of having a career ending malpractice suit that would keep me from helping thousands of patients to come versus the risk to this one irresponsible patient if I tell him he'll have to find someone else to perform his surgery ... well, it's a no brainer.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 02-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #43
Despanan

When your body makes sugar out of your fat, as opposed to getting it's energy from natural sugars the process is called Ketosis. It releases a shit-ton of endorphins and alters your brain chemistry because this is actually your brain's preferred food.

Going into Ketosis, for as long a period as I did, probably contributed to me permanently kicking my depression after college, as it altered my bodies brain chemistry slightly.

That's what I suspect people are talking about when they mention how "spiritual" they felt on a fast. It's probably also why people get "addicted" to exercise.

Anyone who tells you you feel bad before this process starts because it's "Toxins leaving the body" is a fucking charlatan. You feel bad because your body has none of it's regular fuel. You feel good because your body switches to the Ketone for lack of regular food, and your brain likes it better.

As Corpsey pointed out, this reaction is probably intended to help keep you alive when you're starving to death. Fasting is kinda just another way to get high.
Quote:
Old 02-22-2010, 01:36 PM   #44
Anarasha

It did feel good despite the hunger o.o I might do it again soon for the psychological effect of victory.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:01 PM   #45
Pineapple_Juice

This thread has eating disorder written all over it.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:02 PM   #46
Anarasha

Is it an eating disorder if done under controlled circumstances with knowledge of the subject?
Old 02-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #47
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Is it an eating disorder if done under controlled circumstances with knowledge of the subject?
The fact that you're asking is a red flag for me.

What controlled circumstances? You mean under a doctor's supervision? No, of course not ... because no reputable doctor would assist you in fasting to get a buzz on.

What knowledge? Are you speaking of a medical degree or some other form of advanced training?

I'm with PJ on this one.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 02-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #48
Anarasha

No, I am simply talking about simple 24 hour fastings with awareness of the body's signals.
As far as I am concerned, it is not dangerous as long as one does not confuse chosing not to eat with being unable to eat.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:58 PM   #49
Ben Lahnger

What???? Replace "eat" with "breath" and see how that works.

Choosing not to eat for long enough will kill you. For shorter times it will effect your health negatively. It may make some sense to fast for political or religious purposes, but for the sake of a buzz? That's no more sensible that auto-asphyxiation to get a buzz.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 02-22-2010, 03:44 PM   #50
Despanan

If you felt hungry you weren't in ketosis. In fasting, it comes on like, the third day. It won't happen after 19 hours and you'll feel terrible for a full day before hand.

A better plan for getting that "High" is to excercise continously and eat right. If you're burning a significant amount more calories than you take in your body will take care of it naturally, and without feeling like crap first. You'll also lose more weight because your metabolism will increase. Fasting will slow your metabolism and make it harder to lose weight.
Quote: