Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 06-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
ape descendant

Racial Empathy Dispairity

I found this article pretty interesting. It describes differing levels of empathy for people due to race. It talks about people being under medicated for pain, as well as mentioning an experiment where a person of color was given a longer sentence than a white person in identical scenarios.

I hadn't really thought of othering in quite this light, so I figured I'd share.

Here's a link to the article. http://www.slate.com/articles/health...her_races.html

Fair warning about the comments, they're icky.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
Saya

I've been thinking about this lately, when it comes to media studies. I've noticed a lot of white feminists are very hard on rap and hip hop, and while they don't explicitly say its because they view black people as more sexist or homophobic, I think the implication is really there, you know? Like rap as a whole genre is too misogynistic to enjoy at all, but did you see last night's Game of Thrones? Some problematic parts, but wasn't it overall badass? Beyonce dress kinda skanky last night and that contributes to trafficking girls. Beyonce said the word "bitch" and its horrible. Someone revoke her feminist card. But lets talk about how Lady Gaga is a gift from God.

And I know this is bigger than media, but its a gateway for a lot of people to understand social inequality and issues. A lot of people just stop at media criticism fullstop. And that's a huge problem when media is consumed by white people who only see what they want to see about black people.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
ape descendant

Yeah It makes me sads. Like people who love pop and think Lady Gaga is a goddess hate Nikki Minaj. :'( Can't Nikki be a goddess too?

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
Solumina

Nikki is a goddess. When Gaga talks about feminism and gay rights it's mostly in a theoretical kind of way or just voicing support but Nikki calls people out on their problematic behavior when they do it and she talks about her own real experiences in a way that many other artist don't, which is amazing. I fully understand that some of what she does is problematic but if she were white or a man she would probably get a pass on all of it but nah she gets called a bitchy, ghetto whore.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
Versus

Is that a new article?
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
ClarenceShelton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
I found this article pretty interesting. It describes differing levels of empathy for people due to race. It talks about people being under medicated for pain, as well as mentioning an experiment where a person of color was given a longer sentence than a white person in identical scenarios.

I hadn't really thought of othering in quite this light, so I figured I'd share.

Here's a link to the article. http://www.slate.com/articles/health...her_races.html

Thanks for sharing article link.. It is really unfair to discriminate on the basis of just color in this social world..
ClarenceShelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:23 AM   #7
ClarenceShelton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceShelton View Post
found this article pretty interesting. It describes differing levels of empathy for people due to race. It talks about people being under medicated for pain, as well as mentioning an experiment where a person of color was given a longer sentence than a white person in identical scenarios.

I hadn't really thought of othering in quite this
led light, so I figured I'd share.

Thanks for sharing article link.. It is really unfair to discriminate on the basis of just color in this social world..
What guys you think about racial discimination?
ClarenceShelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #8
Skippy

Something I've noticed.

The most racist among us seek to make race an issue no matter what.
Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #9
Murder.Of.Crows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Something I've noticed.

The most racist among us seek to make race an issue no matter what.
Don't. Just don't. Simply, shut up and go read the article.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #10
Skippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder.Of.Crows View Post
Don't. Just don't. Simply, shut up and go read the article.
I've read the article and what I've said still applies.

Why did you want me to shut up exactly?
Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote