Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:05 AM   #3001
Ventis

Tess Of The D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy
Ventis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #3002
Pineapple_Juice

Hunger games
Old 02-25-2012, 03:28 AM   #3003
KatieDirge

I have counted them up and I have bought 7 books this week but to start off the reading marathon I am currently loving Breverton's Phantasmagoria: A Compendium of Monsters, Myths and Legends.

It is a nice hardback book with a beautiful cover. It features supernatural beings, strange people and lots more. If you love the weird and wonderful then you should check out this book!
KatieDirge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:55 AM   #3004
XNyarlathotepX

Just read "Otherland" by Tad Williams. A dark, twisted, dystopian scifi about a conspiracy by the world's wealthy to upload their minds onto a perfect simulation network built on the dreams and nightmares of stolen children.
XNyarlathotepX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:27 AM   #3005
CuckooTuli

Hysteries by Elaine Showalter. It's a feminist look at hysteria as cultural phenomena. It's been good, although I must admit I was more interested in the historical evolution of psychoanalysis than the topics like Gulf War Syndrome and recovered memory that it's now moved onto. But that's mostly because I love apocryphal stories about Charcot being a mad bastard.
"Friends are allowed to make mistakes. The enemy is not allowed to make mistakes because his whole existence is a mistake, and we suffer from it. But the women's liberation front and gay liberation front are our friends, they are our potential allies, and we need as many allies as possible.” - Huey Newton
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #3006
Adept of the King

i'm reading a collection of H.P.lovecraft. but i'm doing the great mistake to read it in my bed at night...
Adept of the King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #3007
Victoria Lovecraft

Location: Am I in the library? No? Perhaps the pantry? No. Damn.Hm... Check the laboratory. Yup, found me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adept of the King View Post
i'm reading a collection of H.P.lovecraft. but i'm doing the great mistake to read it in my bed at night...
I plan on reading HP Lovecraft and Edward Gorey to my future children. Should I have any, that is.

Anyway, at the moment, I'm reading Hamlet. Me gusta.
Victoria Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #3008
Saya

I just read The Haunting Of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. Actually, I finished it last week but shhh. It was REALLY REALLY good! I'm going to check out We Have Always Lived In The Castle tomorrow after my exam.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:42 AM   #3009
wolf moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I just read The Haunting Of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. Actually, I finished it last week but shhh. It was REALLY REALLY good! I'm going to check out We Have Always Lived In The Castle tomorrow after my exam.
How funny, I'm reading We Have Always Lived in the Castle right now! It's wonderful; I'm just the tiniest bit angry that it's taken me this long to discover Shirley Jackson.
wolf moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:02 AM   #3010
Saya

I know, right? The Haunting (1963, of course) is one of my favourite horror films and I missed it in the opening credits when it said it was based on the book.

Of course I rewatched it after I finished the book and am now a little disappointed with the changes they made, and now the movie seems heavy handed.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #3011
wolf moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I know, right? The Haunting (1963, of course) is one of my favourite horror films and I missed it in the opening credits when it said it was based on the book.

Of course I rewatched it after I finished the book and am now a little disappointed with the changes they made, and now the movie seems heavy handed.
Now you've got me wanting to read the book and then watch the movie again.

Just finished We Have Always... and am pretty sure I'm just going to read it again instead of starting a new book. SO good.
wolf moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #3012
Saya

Just finished! Its funny, its a fair sized book and so little happens, but I never felt it was tedious or dragging. The only complaint I have at all is that I thought it was fairly obvious who murdered the family.

Now I'm starting Collateral Damage by Chris Hedges and Laila Al-Arian.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #3013
satanicangel66689

By The Time You Read This I'll Be Dead.
satanicangel66689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:09 AM   #3014
Pineapple_Juice

Too many. Exorcist, catching fire, god delusion, storm front, lovecraft...
Old 03-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #3015
Saya

Attemping From Pews To Polling Places: Faith And Politics In The American Religious Mosaic. I say attempting because if its dry I don't think I'll be able to finish it before its due back.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #3016
DL Winters

Currently re-reading "Clive Barker's Book of Blood"
DL Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #3017
Saya

War Is A Force That Gives Us Meaning by Chris Hedges. He's really frustrating. He has a lot of experience in war zones and has awesome insights, and I liked Collateral Damage since it was mostly Iraq Veterans talking about their experiences while Hedges' voice barely entered.

And yet, he seems to miss his own points. Like he goes on about how war is terrible and war crimes happen because of the very nature of war, even if you're on the "good side", being exposed to terrible acts of violence fucks you up. That said, he says he's not anti-war, and that the US should intervene in cases like Bosnia and Rwanda and the blood is on our hands because we didn't. Nevermind its the same intentions that got us into Afghanistan and Iraq.

And its like, you know, maybe Africa is in the situation its in because of colonialism and imperalism and white dudes thinking they should interfere in everyone's business. Oh, and maybe we should not fund genocidal dickheads to begin with.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:43 AM   #3018
Adept of the King

the war against the euro.... more terrifying than S.King's books
Old 04-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #3019
CuckooTuli

On the fifth book of Preacher, War in the Sun. The weakest yet, but the series has been kickass enough that I'm still jonesing for the next one already.
"Friends are allowed to make mistakes. The enemy is not allowed to make mistakes because his whole existence is a mistake, and we suffer from it. But the women's liberation front and gay liberation front are our friends, they are our potential allies, and we need as many allies as possible.” - Huey Newton
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #3020
Saya

The Dispossessed by Ursula Le Guin.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #3021
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Society and Solitude - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think Emerson has replaced Dr. Samuel Johnson as my favorite writer.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #3022
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Voltaire's Candide. It's been sitting on the bookshelf downstairs for years and I've wanted to read it for years. The books are all very nice hardcovers and I'm just soo used to thinking of them as decorations, since I'm not used to reading hardcover books that look like that, and they've always been there my whole life.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #3023
Adept of the King

Within tentation The Unforgiving, a comic short series... not bad not good..
Old 04-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #3024
Cannon

Nineteen Eighty-Four - George Orwell

I've heard so many things about this book, so I bought myself a $3.50 paperback copy.
So far, so good.
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:31 AM   #3025
Apathy's_Child

Blood Meridian, by Cormac McCarthy. I've read it before but picked it up for the shitter & got engrossed all over again. Fucking spectacular.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote