Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
jjdunlop

House Of Leaves - Mark Z.Danielwski

House of Leaves was originally released on Mark's website as a series of seemingly random posts. Eventually published it became a modern cult phenonema spawning all kinds of underground fan pages and people began getting passages inked on their body.

A story within a story, this meta text is written in unrelenting prose/poetry style and can be can be described as both a horror story and love story in the same breath.

Anyone here read it? Or his latest Only Revolutions, which I have to say is a struggle to get through. Would love to hear from you about either. Any comments,reviews or thoughts gratefully recieved.......................................... ............

jjdunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
Alan

I tried reading it but I didn't finish it. I must admit that I just don't get it.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
Sinjob

It's worth the read, the book is segregated in those to parts to the point you can pretty much choose which section you want to read, but the form takes on a whole life of it's own. I enjoyed it, used to be one of my favorites but I easily got over it considering how ridiculous the text becomes.

Still, it's worth the read for those who appreciate the genre.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:37 AM   #4
TrivialMorose

Love this book very much. One of my all time favorites. The adventures within the depths of the house were just about the coolest thing ever. Lot's of things were awesome. I loved the flashlight thing that went from one part of the book into another. And the stairs in the swamp or whatever... It was all just so much fun. I even meticulously read through all the lists with building names or whatever. Hah. Even visited some place because of this!

Been years since I read it, still reminisce about it from time to time. Wish I could write as well as Mr. Z.

I haven't touched Only Revolutions because I'm too poor to order it, and haven't ever seen a copy anywhere. Anybody have a clue why jjdunlop was struggling to get through it? Is it not as easy flowing and awesome as House of Leaves?

Also love listening to the companion record by Poe, Z's sister, don't remember the name of the album right now, but it's really great... Y'all should check it out.

Plus, was jjdunlop actually Z himself? Who the hell else would post something like this? And only with 11 posts... Suspicious... Or I'm just being paranoid, and don't even know what paranoid means...
TrivialMorose is offline   Reply With Quote