Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Shill

Shill Post your website announcements here. Anything that is blatantly SPAM (nigerian schemes, make money fast, etc) will be deleted. Actually, we'd probably keep the nigerian schemes around to make fun of it.

Old 09-08-2006, 07:35 AM   #1
Delkaetre

*New* Club Thread

I know there was originally a goth club thread, but since it died a death a year ago, didn't do much by way of reviews, and didn't offer any details of any clubs outside of the linked listing, I figured we could do with a new one. I used the search and got nothing, so I assume that this is permissible and I'm not adding a third, fourth, seventeenth 'goth club thread'.
Here you should post
- Your local club's name, location, age limits, and door cost.
- A review of the club and music styles played, including things like how friendly the locals are, if the dress code is observed, whether the drinks are expensive, etc.
- transport to it from other nearby areas (bus routes, good taxi firms) if possible.
If you've been to another club that's not your local but isn't listed here, put it up- the more the merrier. If you visit a club reccommended here, let us know what you thought of it.

My turn first! We have two main goth nights in Northern Ireland, and they take place in the Rosetta Bar, Belfast, located on the Rosetta Road. They're both 18+, though it's not always strictly observed if the doorman knows the underagers. They both start at 9pm and finish at 1am, £3 before ten, £5 after, admission closed at midnight. Drinks aren't too expensive compared to other clubs, but there are no special offer cheap drinks.
Cornucopia- Trad Goth, Industrial, 80s and 'stuff'- 1st Saturday of every month. The bigger night, usually, Corni sometimes has live bands and the locals are pretty friendly if you look a bit lost. The DJs, Verboten and Chameleongirl, are willing to take requests if you get them in early enough, and play a nice varied list with plenty of floor-fillers.
Unity- Industrial, EBM, Bleep and Noise night- 3rd friday of every month. It's a bit smaller than Corni, and can seem pretty elitist sometimes, but the people are worth it- it's a good night for talking to your friends as well as dancing or drinking. The DJs all take requests, especially if you bribe them with drinks, and _encryption_ has DJ'd Edinburgh's Dark City festival this year, alongside infamous bands such as Combichrist. Kinkychaoskitten and kaljerico are our other two DJs, and are usually happy to talk to new people, though kaljerico has a barbed tongue to match any on this forum!

To get to the Rosetta Bar, you can order a taxi to the Rosetta Road from any Belfast firm (numbers supplied in all phone boxes, and black cabs can be hailed from city hall) or take the number 28 bus from the back of City Hall at 8.10pm- it's labelled 'Hollywood Exchange' and takes you past Forestside Shopping centre and a couple of lovely old fashioned graveyards.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 01:44 PM   #2
DarkHeartedDemoness

Anyone know anywhere cool in the Minnesota area? I have this friend that keeps promising to take me out, but she never gets any free time, so we haven't gone yet and I'm not sure where we're supposed to be going.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:02 PM   #3
Acushla

2 ATL clubs that I know of:

Secret Room

and the (in)famous Masquerade, more like 3 clubs in one (Heaven, Hell, and Purgatory.) Often a music venue.

I've never been to either one so unfortunately I can't provide a review.
Acushla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:17 PM   #4
Acushla

Masquerade:
Every Saturday Night
The Underworld
80's, Goth, & Synthpop
with
DJ 313, Jennocide & Guests
10pm-3am>>>18+
18+ = $8
21+ = $5

DV8
Every Friday 10:30 PM - 3AM Trance+dark techno oriented, some synth+oldschool industrial with rotating djs weekly. 21 +
The Jungle (formerly the Chamber)
2115 Faulkner Rd., NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
404-844-8800

Twinkledome
Are you bored? Feeling dull? Dreary even? Then you need some glamour in your life! Boys, girls and everyone in-between, dig deep in your closets and prepare to let out your inner freak!!! Get ready to get down and get glammy, to sparkle and be seen at TWINKLEDOME.
What's this you say?!? Well, Twinkledome is a night to dress up (or hardly at all) and shake your wild thing to rock, glam, punk and new wave spun by dj's Nemesis and Paradigm Shift. This event is about coming out as you are or however you want to be.
So bring it on, bring your posse and let’s have some stinkin’ fun! Can't wait to see you all then in your freaky finery!
WHERE: Starbar in Little 5 Points.
Acushla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:49 PM   #5
Delkaetre

Thanks for the contribution! Sorry I'm being a little slow about replies- this last while has been hectic. More recommendations and reviews welcome!
In a few weeks I'll be putting up my first impressions of London's infamous Slimelight, one of Britain's biggest and most regular goth clubs.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Old 10-18-2006, 11:54 AM   #6
slave1

I thought there was another thread because I posted to it a few weeks ago... hmm...
well, the club i love to go to is CLub 2101 here in Denver Colorado. I even have my own night there that plays a variety of music. It's called Disintegration Saturdays and we play Gothic/Industrial/NewWave/Deathrock/Electro/EBM/Synthpop/Darkwave and more.
Heres some info on it and websites:

Disintegration Saturdays
at Club 2101
2101 Champa (21st and Champa)
Denver CO

My-Space and Live-Journal pages:
http://community.***********.com/disintegration_/
http://groups.myspace.com/disintegration

Last edited by slave1; 10-18-2006 at 11:55 AM. Reason: mispelling
slave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 04:33 PM   #7
we_are_138

ATL Club #3 (and Philly Clubs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acushla
2 ATL clubs that I know of:

Secret Room

and the (in)famous Masquerade, more like 3 clubs in one (Heaven, Hell, and Purgatory.) Often a music venue.

I've never been to either one so unfortunately I can't provide a review.
Secret room is (I think) a promotion company so you can find lots of good links at their site to find things to do

The Future is a goth club on Saturday Nights in Underground Atlanta. It's actually home of the first goth night out I ever had, so it's pretty special to me.

The Perks:
Good Fashion
Burlesque girls (i.e. fetish baristas/baristos/and servers all dress up very fancily)
RAD DJs spinning goth/industrial/synthpop/darkwave and some OLDIES but goodies!
nice atmosphere, an upstairs and a downstairs with plenty of room to dance and plenty of room to watch. some hidden corners for making out and other unwholesome activities
Locals. lots of local people come here .. but that's probably true for anywhere in atlanta since it's soo small!

The Pits:
Expensive entry you have to pay a ticket to get just into UNDERGROUND and THEN you gotta pay to get into the club! BOOO
Expensive drinks (I think) I don't drink, but it looks expensive
I think it closes earlyish
Underground isn't the most goth friendly place. lots of bright lights, expensive parking, and nongoths wandering around. just hold the head high you look hot!

philly places coming soon because i gotta eat dinner!
we_are_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 06:14 PM   #8
Delkaetre

Slimelight....
Every Saturday, at the Angel in Islington, London (Britain). The Tube will take you near enough. Get there at 11pm, it's on till 7.30am. Don't leave till it's light outside, or you've missed some of the good bits. Costs £5 members, £8 non-members, and has three floors on alternate weeks. Drinks are pretty reasonable, too, but they don't serve Sambuca. Over 18s only.

Ground Floor- only on alternate weeks, this one plays trad goth. It's usually got least people, it's rather cooler since it's got no insulation (good for a relax or cool down), and the music is stuff I just love to bits. I danced for ages before I went out to get water. It benefits from a high ceiling giving it a feeling of space- much needed in the crowded club!
Between ground and first floor there's a small cinema. You can sit there, cool down, watch a movie, buy an ice cream. Nice chill-out zone.
First floor- ebm, industrial, some darkwave. That nice electronic area between noise and trad, usually a very popular floor. Cramped dance space, but large bar area and a pool table on one side of it. Good music- look out for people with glowsticks, there are some who do really well with them and it can look great. Also, cages for people to dance in if they feel like attention grabbing.
Between second and top there's a cloakroom, £1.50 an item- keep your wallet on you, but leave your coat and any bulky bags here.
Top floor- didn't really explore this thoroughly, it's mostly just noise. Static kinda stuff, but they have some nice displays and comfy seating.

On the two-floor weeks, the middle floor also acts as the trad floor- so don't be surprised if your happy bouncy set suddenly becomes the Nephilim's most depressing song ever. When the trad set comes on, the noise floor will often play softer stuff, more accessible- change from being pure powernoise to just heavy industrial instead.

There is a dress code. You are safe from normals. Almost everyone is a goth, and even the metalheads and randomers are very few. There are moer cyber than trad by a long shot, though, so be careful with your sweeping velvets. The cyber girls have short skirts for a reason, as the floor really is coated with an unpleasant slime which will get into your clothes if they trail on the floor. Your boots will be coated. Do NOT fall over, or you risk infection if you graze your skin.
Aside from the nasty floor, it's a very good club. If you want membership or need someone to sign you in (members and guests only), then there will always be someone happy to help you. A random stranger ('Oz') offered to sponsor my membership when he saw me with the joining sheet, as did three other people. You need two signiatures to join, but only one to enter as a guest. I advise joining if you want to go back often- it costs £10 to join, so if you go even 4 times in a year you've saved money.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:47 AM   #9
we_are_138

Philadelphia Clubs:

One place is at a club called Shampoo. Dancing Ferret hosts Nocturne
Where: 7th and Spring Garden
When: Wednesday Nights

The Pros :
+all ages,
+Music for the most part: synthpop, industrial, some metal, britpop, electroclash
+atmosphere
+You don't come home smelling like smoke.
+Size : the place is big, so there's lots of places to explore and play hide and seek
+Good Lighting, and some dark corners
+Bouncers/staff generally very nice.

The Pits:
-Lay Out: there are limited places where under 21s can go. Any area where there is an alcohol serving bar, "underages" can't be there. Normally this wouldn't matter, BUT the best DJ/music is played downstairs, and that is blocked off to underages. It's not a problem for me since i'm over 21, but I can imagine it might be a little annoying to some. However, it's still a great place to go.
-expensive drinks. $2.50 for water??!?!? I don't drink alcohol so i have no idea how much those beverages are. It's a 7 to 10 dollar cover depending on the night!
-you will be frisked before you enter. on one hand it makes me feel safe, on the other it's a little invasive.
-"galley-way" shaped dance floor in the 21 and over area. It's not TOO small, but there isn't a lot of standing room to people watch. and if you're people watching, you're in the way of the dancers.

My favorite place to go is Shadowland at Ulana's
Where: 2nd and Bainbridge
When: Every Saturday Night
21 and Over Only
Cover: $5

The Pros:
+Dress code! (for your protection)
+They are lax about dress code. You don't even need to be wearing full on black, just look like you like goth!
+Layout: Big dance floor surrounded by tables and lounge chairs and a bar. Upstairs balcony also surrounds dance floor where DJ spins and vendors frequent. The next room in more lounge like, with a bar and comfy chairs. Upstairs in that room has TONS of seating room and cushions for lounging.
+Music: Big dance room plays all the faves, goth industrial/darkwave/synthpop/dance/britpoppy oldies Smaller lounge plays strictly older classics (think bauhaus, souxie, joy division...)
+Crowd is always a bunch of locals, and very friendly
+Location - right next to South Street where there's places to get food nearby (and other bars...)
+Staff very friendly
+Cheap Cover

The Pits:
- Location - While South street has its pros, it also has its cons. There's a dress code at Ulana's for a reason, because the area is not always the most goth friendly. It depends on the crowd that night I suppose. We've never been heckled or attacked or anything, but it pays to be safe.
- Sometimes there aren't always Vendors there, or it's the same vendors. No biggie.
we_are_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:17 AM   #10
slave1

By the way, I love the Slimelight in London!
slave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #11
Ophelia's Snorkel

If ever a thread deserved revivification, this one does. There are scads of "where's the club" threads scattered all over the boards.

My contributions, so as not to be a useless hypocrite:

Ascension - Gainesville, FL
at The Attic
233 W. University, above The Venue
Every Friday night 10-2
$3 cover
18+

www.heartofdarknessclub.org

Factory - Jacksonville, FL
at Cafe 331
331 Forsyth St.
Every Saturday night 9-2
$5 cover, email for live events pricing
18+

http://www.factoryjax.com/

And, of course, everyone knows The Castle in Ybor City/Tampa
http://www.castleybor.com/The_Castle/Home.html

And, finally, if you can't stand one more flip from Shamu or another creepy guy in a Mickey Mouse suit:

Independent Bar - Orlando
Necropolis on Wed. nights and Old School/New Wave Saturday nights
(saw Clan of Xymox perform there - so you know it's an awesome place)
http://www.independentbar.net/