Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #3076
Johnny Gnar Gnar

^^ Agreed. Lo, he returns for his occasional visit. Right now I am in the middle of Res Gestae Divi Augusti, but I am a nerd. Also working on Rhineman's Histories of the Crusades. I will be a perpetual student, I do believe.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #3077
CIRQUEFREAK91

Just finished The Hunger Games. There were many discrepancies between the book and the movie.
CIRQUEFREAK91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:34 AM   #3078
Drew Keaton

Just finished reading a fantastic anthology called Enter at Your Own Risk: Fires and Phantoms. My review...

Although gay-themed writing has come out of the closet in the last decade, there seems to be a self-imposed closet in the genre. For some reason, much of it strays into the bodice-ripper territory of the Harlequin Romance penny novel. We are traveling down a nice plot and STOP INSERT EROTIC comes along. Enter At Your Own Risk: Fires and Phantoms breaks that mold with a fantastic collection of Gothic ghost tales of the gay flavor.

There is the touch of erotic here and there. There is love lost and love avenged. Some come out of the closet and some wish they had. There are two stellar Gothic classics included among the modern writers. Edith Wharton’s “The Eyes” and “In Kropfsberg Keep” by Ralph Adams Cram remind us that we’ve been in literature long before we were allowed to be literature. Among the current crop, there are a few standout tales here. Robbie Anderson’s “When You are Right” and B.E. Scully’s “Time For One More Show” are both intensely frightening stories of revenge from beyond the grave. “The Neglected Ones” By Joshua Skye is a haunting tale of loneliness and the depths to which a young man will go to end those feelings. Richard Hall’s masterpiece “Country People” is included here. “Promises in the Dark, Whispers at Dawn” by Vincent Waters paints a vicious and violent picture of guilt, perceived sin, and hate. T. Fox Dunham’s “Last Dance in the Rain” explores fear, isolation, and panic in a wonderfully accurate Civil war setting.

Seventeen stories and a fantastic introduction by Robert Dunbar round out this marvelous anthology. Each one captures the Gothic tradition established by Poe, Byron, Shelley and others a century ago. Haunting, painful, mournful, vengeful… make sure this one’s in your trick or treat bag this year!
Drew Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #3079
Geoluhread

I finished Ken Follett's new novel, Winter of the World.. It was superb, I like his style of writing, I think if more people wrote historical stuff the way he does I'd be a bit more interested.

I started re-reading Kafka on the Shore by my all time favorite Haruki Murakami.
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #3080
FistsofFury

I'm reading 'Warriors of the Storm' by Jack L Chalker. Book 3 of 4 in the 'Rings of the Master' series.
FistsofFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #3081
BourbonBoy

About halfway through Moby Dick but I gotta admit, I've skipped a few chapters here and there simply because, well, the author rambled on about the hemp rope from the Philippines at one point and at another placed a short story in the middle of the novel about another whaling ship that almost mutinied.

But overall, I must say I love the story itself and even though I know how it ends (my dad watched the film religiously when I was a kid) I'm the foreshadowing .
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #3082
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BourbonBoy View Post
About halfway through Moby Dick but I gotta admit, I've skipped a few chapters here and there simply because, well, the author rambled on about the hemp rope from the Philippines at one point and at another placed a short story in the middle of the novel about another whaling ship that almost mutinied.

But overall, I must say I love the story itself and even though I know how it ends (my dad watched the film religiously when I was a kid) I'm the foreshadowing .
HE DOES THAT THOUGH. I really want to reread Moby Dick but I'm trying to find a abridged version that cuts out all of Melville's rambling.

Seriously, you're not missing much.

Also, which film? Just watched the one with Gregory Peck recently.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #3083
BourbonBoy

The one with Gregory Peck as Capt. Ahab. It's definitely one of my all time favorite films and it was very historically accurate from how the ships would hunt the whales to the diversity of the crew (not just personalities but also their ethnicities).

I've tried to watch the reinterpretations of the original film but the remakes just don't feel right for some reason.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #3084
Saya

I felt like Gregory Peck was too young for the role at the time, but I also have a really really hard time seperating him from Atticus Finch so it could have just felt weird because of that.

I also had a crush on Queequeg in the book and was disappointed there has never been an adaptation where he was as attractive as I pictured him.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #3085
BourbonBoy

I can see why as well. It wasn't until high school that I finally saw him in "To Kill A Mockingbird" for American History class (which is an awesome film regarding segregation, lack of faith in science, and how someone can completely disregard facts even when a fact is demonstrated right before them) that I had to do a report on. While watching TKAM I kept expecting him to yell "With my last breadth, I spit at thee!" even though it was in two separate films. Guess that's what happens when someone takes over a role in a film so well you can't see them doing anything else without recalling another film they were in
Old 10-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #3086
Versus

OH MY GOD MELVILE SHUT THE FUCK UP I KNOW IT'S FUCKING WHITE MOVE THE FUCK ON.

Sorry. Residual anger from reading that book. I'm going to change my signature now.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #3087
BourbonBoy

XD And for a sec I thought you'd yell at me for reading "Moby Dick"
Old 10-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #3088
Versus

No. That book is so fucking infuriating. It's like "wtf does this have to do with anything?" Except you realize that only halfway through the parts that get like that.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #3089
BourbonBoy

Yeah, I've realized that by now. If the subject of the chapter sounds boring, then chances are the chapter will be.

Seriously, who gives a flying fuck about the order of who eats first among the officers on the Pequad? This is one of the few times in my life I've actually said to myself while reading a book "I get it [writer of story x], time to move the fuck on and advance the story."

Then again, my attention span tends to be short at times so when the author goes on tangents I simply skim over the contents
Old 10-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #3090
tessla-jane

11/22/63 by Stephen King. Interesting but dry :/
tessla-jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:01 PM   #3091
Miss Absynthe

The Little Prince.. and it makes me cry like a baby every single freaking time. :|
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #3092
Cayora

I am a bit less than halfway through The Orphan Palace by Joseph Pulver. I am really impressed. I love the poetic writing and the darkness of it. In the introduction, it is described as "if On the Road had been written about Henry Lee Lucas," which seems accurate to me. It is full of fun references to other classic weird fiction and horror. The writing is just gorgeous, without being the slightest bit lush. The violence is graphic and frankly a bit upsetting. But that is what I want in this sort of a book. It is highly recommended.
Cayora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #3093
BourbonBoy

Almost done with "Moby Dick" and figured I could use a little high adventure, straight to the point brain candy. I think I'll read some Robert E. Howard "Conan" stories for a few bit
Old 10-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #3094
ape descendant

Hey, I just started Moby Dick the other day!

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:35 AM   #3095
BourbonBoy

I'm enjoying the overall story, but the way Melville seems to get sidetracked with random stuff is frustrating. However, one must carry on when reading a classic
Old 10-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #3096
Thorn-v

Do You Think What You Think You Think? by Julian Baggini and Jeremy Stangroom. I like it. It is more of a read and then take a quiz type book, but it definitely makes me think. It challenges point of view without being annoying or irritating about it.
Thorn-v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:08 PM   #3097
tessla-jane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Keaton View Post
Just finished reading a fantastic anthology called Enter at Your Own Risk: Fires and Phantoms. My review...

Although gay-themed writing has come out of the closet in the last decade, there seems to be a self-imposed closet in the genre. For some reason, much of it strays into the bodice-ripper territory of the Harlequin Romance penny novel. We are traveling down a nice plot and STOP INSERT EROTIC comes along. Enter At Your Own Risk: Fires and Phantoms breaks that mold with a fantastic collection of Gothic ghost tales of the gay flavor.

There is the touch of erotic here and there. There is love lost and love avenged. Some come out of the closet and some wish they had. There are two stellar Gothic classics included among the modern writers. Edith Wharton’s “The Eyes” and “In Kropfsberg Keep” by Ralph Adams Cram remind us that we’ve been in literature long before we were allowed to be literature. Among the current crop, there are a few standout tales here. Robbie Anderson’s “When You are Right” and B.E. Scully’s “Time For One More Show” are both intensely frightening stories of revenge from beyond the grave. “The Neglected Ones” By Joshua Skye is a haunting tale of loneliness and the depths to which a young man will go to end those feelings. Richard Hall’s masterpiece “Country People” is included here. “Promises in the Dark, Whispers at Dawn” by Vincent Waters paints a vicious and violent picture of guilt, perceived sin, and hate. T. Fox Dunham’s “Last Dance in the Rain” explores fear, isolation, and panic in a wonderfully accurate Civil war setting.

Seventeen stories and a fantastic introduction by Robert Dunbar round out this marvelous anthology. Each one captures the Gothic tradition established by Poe, Byron, Shelley and others a century ago. Haunting, painful, mournful, vengeful… make sure this one’s in your trick or treat bag this year!
I just finished this book and I loved it!
tessla-jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #3098
Xombie

I've been sifting through Joyce Carol Oates shorts. I'm even more into her stories now that I've been living in the south.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #3099
InannaExmorte

Just got done reading Edgar Switchblade. Pretty cool and very strange. Writte by L. Wyatt. (lonesome Wyatt from Those Poor Bastards and Lonesome Wyatt and the Holy Spooks)
InannaExmorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #3100
Fruitbat

I'm too embarrassed to list the books I'm reading at the moment. I'm so broke, I can only afford books from the recycle centre, and most of those are historical romances, or books that are so bad, they don't even get into second hand book shops, but they are however 50cents a book...

Although I do have Thoreau's Walden for xmas from a second hand book shop. Or may be it was the picture book on dinosaurs that was meant for me.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote