Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 10-18-2004, 04:53 PM   #101
dollclans

i'm reading "Personal Darkness" by Tanith Lee. it's an awesome Scarabae novel, if that's the kinda thing your into.
dollclans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 08:31 PM   #102
Loy

So a few used bookstores are having sales as we speak, and I've been going crazy for the past week or so, and I've gotten....

"A Moment Of True Feeling"/"Left Handed Woman" by Peter Handke

"The Tomb" and other Tales by H.P. Lovecraft (I'm re-reading his stuff to see if I can get soemthing for use in adapting Michael Gira's "The Consumer" for screen. Normally, I loathe Lovecraft, but well see how I feel afterwards)

"In Dubious Battle" by John Steinbeck (which is my call for Steinbeck's best work...and yes, I have read "Of Mice And Men", "The Grapes Of Wrath", and "Tortilla Flat")

"The Zap Gun" by Philip Dick (working through his stuff, which there never seems to be enough of)

"Delicate Prey" by Paul Bowles (collection of short stories by Mr Bowles)

"My Sister's Hand In Mine" by Jane Bowles (every god-damned thing the woman ever wrote)

"Selected Essays And Notebooks" and "The Fall" by Albert Camus ("The Fall" is my favorite Camus novel, and I also love Camus' essays)

"The Call Of The Toad" by Gunther Grass (I'm a fan of Grass's vicious satire, and this is one of the few of his works I've yet to read all the way through)

"Anectodes Of Destiny And Ehrengard" by Isak Dinesen (I always swore I'd read more Dinesen...hopefully the translotor of this one is better than the translator of the last Dinesen book I read)

"The Sybil" by Par Lagerkvist (I'm rereading it to see if I can love more than how the story made me feel...and to see if this translator's better than the last one)

a whole bunch of Alberto Moravia (who I seem to like less and less the older I get....I re-purchased "Ghost At Noon" and "The Conformist" and got around to getting "Woman Of Rome", "The Fetish", and "Bitter Honeymoon") and a whole bunch of William Faulkner (whome I starting to love more and more the older I get...I got "Absalom, Absalom", "Pylon", "The Sound And The Fury", "Spotted Horse"/"Old Man"/"The Bear", and "Sanctuary")
Old 10-20-2004, 11:08 AM   #103
KidFedaykin

What I'm reading

Song of Sussannah - king, the rebel - camus, sartre, Diary - Palahniuk, everything kerouac, Kahlil Gibran, and Nietzsche. There are more but I for get. Got alot of time on my hands at the moment
KidFedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 11:12 AM   #104
Deadhymn

motley crue's bio, "The Dirt"

if you havent read it, you dont know what debauchery is all about.
Deadhymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 11:28 AM   #105
Celestia11

I'm reading Stephen King's 'Hearts In Atlantis' for about the fourth time, it's my favourite book ever. The film is crap though, as per usual... :roll:
Celestia11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 11:45 AM   #106
alliecat

Well, right now I'm rereading my favorites. Artemis Fowl, The Saga of Darren Shan, The Blue Sword, Harry Potter, Sabriel and its sequels, and His Dark Materials. Damn, that's a lot!! :shock:
alliecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 04:38 PM   #107
HxC-Ron

The Phantom of the Opera

I just finished reading The Phantom of the Opera for a college class and I was reallysurprised how much I liked it. It had the element of Victorian Gothic Horror in it. Has anyone else on the boards gotten the chance to read this book?
HxC-Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 05:01 PM   #108
Gypsy2222

There are several Phantom of the Opera books out there... One of my favorites was 'Phantom' by Susan Kay... If that is the one you are refering to then yes, I read it and loved it... Some other interesting books that you might enjoy are the Saint Germain series by Yarbaro... A very good series...

On a final parting note... This thread belongs in the "What are you Reading?" thread... Thank you...

~The Gypsy~
Old 10-21-2004, 03:57 AM   #109
HxC-Ron

no I read the original 1911 novel by Gaston Leroux
HxC-Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 07:39 PM   #110
Jane13

alliecat- I'm reading Artimis Foul right now.
HxC- I REALLY want to read the book... I cannot put into words how much I loved the broadway musical. I could watch that a thousand times and still want to see it again. I couldn't get the main theme out of my head, so I figured out how to play it on my guitar.I'm reading Artimus Foul and War of THe Worlds now...
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 08:02 PM   #111
alliecat

I read The War of The Worlds on vacation. It was good, though a bit weird. My book fell apart :cry: but duct tape saved the day! Artemis Fowl is cool, but I wish the books were longer.
alliecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 06:42 AM   #112
Jane13

Duct tape saves everything. I can't beleive how many times I misspelled "Artemis Fowl" last night..
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Old 10-22-2004, 11:34 AM   #113
Deadhymn

If you cant Duct it...Fuck it!

currently reading the lyrics to Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds' Abattoir Blues and Lyre of Orpheus his best albums...just came out together on double disc...just beautiful.
Deadhymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 09:29 AM   #114
Nike

Ernesto Che Guevara's Motorcycle Diaries....interesting
Old 10-23-2004, 09:33 AM   #115
Jane13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike
Ernesto Che Guevara's Motorcycle Diaries....interesting
Check out the thread "Pimp My Revolutionary" :wink:
-Cinema Strange
Old 10-23-2004, 09:43 AM   #116
Nike

Actually I've read that thread some days ago...
and it made me remember that it's been a long while sice I've read the Bolivian Diaries. I don't wear Guevara T-Shirts, lol, since that T-Shirts photograph has it's own quite ridiculous story anyway, he's surely not my hero...but I remember that sometimes he used to be quite philosophical in his books, and some phrases were interesting....so, well, some more Che
Old 10-24-2004, 07:31 PM   #117
HerGhostInTheFog

i mad not sure if i already posted this, but
i am reading a book called Smack
it's about squatter punks who beoome heroin addicts
sounds bad, but it was written very well
HerGhostInTheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 11:16 PM   #118
secretboy

Reading more fantasy, Lord of Snow and Shadows by Sarah Ash. I'm all into it. Fun stuff, lots of politics and dark curses and such. And evil swedes! Mua-ha-haaaah.

Can't wait for the sequel to come out.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:14 AM   #119
edible_eye

feel free to toss the "fag" moniker my way.

i'm reading 'the wedding' by nicholas sparks. a friend made me promise to read it and i'm making good on that promise. guess what? it's good.

HA!
Old 10-29-2004, 07:22 AM   #120
Panther

Location: The middle of nowhere, on the outskirts of the boonies.
The Arabain Nights translated by Richard Burton, and Faust, translated by some other guy.
Will we stroll dreaming of the lost America of love
past blue automobiles in driveways, home to our silent
cottage?
-Allen Ginsberg, A Supermarket in California
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 03:14 PM   #121
Jane13

Weee! Great books, and a great new avatar, Panther!
-Cinema Strange
Old 11-04-2004, 07:44 AM   #122
secretboy

Just finished Flow my tears, the Policeman Said by Philip K. Dick. I forgot how much I loved that novel. Finished it far too quickly, though.

I really wish more of his novels had as much heart as this one did. Kind of sad.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:08 PM   #123
WolfMoon

Quote:
feel free to toss the "fag" moniker my way.

i'm reading 'the wedding' by nicholas sparks. a friend made me promise to read it and i'm making good on that promise. guess what? it's good.

HA!
Hey Mark!

You fag!

:lol:

I'm curently reading the Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman.

Sometimes two heads are better than one.

Next I might read the Pern series,my husband owns alomost a library,lol.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 04:01 PM   #124
Jane13

Cujo and Grapes of Wrath
-Cinema Strange
Old 11-05-2004, 11:46 AM   #125
Dr.StrangeRawk

Le Morte D'Arthur By Mallory
( for the 6th time.. ) ( Lunch time Book)

and Titus Andronicus - Shakespeare ( bathroom book)

and Into the Storm - Tom Clancy ( Analyzing Leadership Profile for work )

and Tobit - The Bible - ( a story of an Angel and a Deamon )

Dr.StrangeRawk
Dr.StrangeRawk is offline   Reply With Quote