Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
twistedsyn

Hiding lip/Labret piercings...? Suggestons?

I was let go from my job..and I need to find a new one.

Hard enough as it is now, I also have snakebites. I currently have 2 small horseshes in them and I bought the regular retainers from Hot topic, but they do not like them very much. I already lost one O ring, it got pushed off the bar because my newest piercing is irritated and I guess swelled, even if it is a year old..its still sore and is migrating a little, and the other one seems to be sinking into the hole from the inside, where the O ring is. I am afraid it will sink too far in and lose it.

I have seen the clear acrylic balls I can get from Spencers but they still can be seen.

Are there any like this, but maybe flat disks, like on the back? Instead of the balls?

I can get a smaller ball but I am afraid it would sink into it from the front hole.

What does everyone else do when they need to hide them?

I have never needed to hide mine before.
twistedsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:19 PM   #2
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedsyn
I was let go from my job..and I need to find a new one.

Hard enough as it is now, I also have snakebites. I currently have 2 small horseshes in them and I bought the regular retainers from Hot topic, but they do not like them very much. I already lost one O ring, it got pushed off the bar because my newest piercing is irritated and I guess swelled, even if it is a year old..its still sore and is migrating a little, and the other one seems to be sinking into the hole from the inside, where the O ring is. I am afraid it will sink too far in and lose it.

I have seen the clear acrylic balls I can get from Spencers but they still can be seen.

Are there any like this, but maybe flat disks, like on the back? Instead of the balls?

I can get a smaller ball but I am afraid it would sink into it from the front hole.

What does everyone else do when they need to hide them?

I have never needed to hide mine before.
Check Bodyartforms.com They've got cool things in that area such as solid glass retainers and flesh covered balls and things of that nature.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:19 PM   #3
SKULHEDFACE

This is a problem that I often have as well. It seems that the best you can really hope for are retainers, which are often made of cheap plastic. I know you can purchase better quality quartz ones on certain websites, but they still suck.

I have never really attempted to hide my piercings, but for a time I had to wear retainers while working at a job involving heavy machinery. It really depends on what sort of job you are hoping to get since different companies have different policies regarding that sort of thing. For instance it is quite obvious that you are not likely to be hired for a secretary position with facial piercings. However big companies like Walmart for example often don't care if you have a clear retainer in. For situations like this I suggest going to the interview without any jewelry in at all, and then after being hired show up wearing retainers.

As for the O rings those little fuckers are the most annoying things in the world. If you're going to be wearing retainers a lot I suggest having a lot of clear O rings around because you will constantly lose, eat, and break them. It sounded like you were saying an O ring was going into your lip? If that's the case you should adjust the jewelry and loosen it up some by moving the O ring further away from your lip. I've had O rings migrate down a retainer and find their way into my lip from eating and stuff. They can really irritate the piercing and even cause it to swell so make sure the O rings aren't on too tightly.
SKULHEDFACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:25 PM   #4
korinna5555

something like:

http://www.painfulpleasures.com/xcar...&cat=11&page=1

or

http://steelnavel.com/product.asp?ID=811&MID=37&MID2=1
korinna5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:28 PM   #5
Underwater Ophelia

If it comes down to it, don't sacrifice working for a few piercings.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:34 PM   #6
PortraitOfSanity

Or do what I did, and get a job in a piercing studio!
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:36 PM   #7
Joker_in_the_Pack

Now that's just the best idea yet PoS.

But yeah, most places won't care if they're retail. Just stuffy corporate jobs care. Just make sure you're facial (as in non-ear) piercings don't go into double digits, then you'll have issues.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

Old 12-23-2008, 07:46 PM   #8
twistedsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKULHEDFACE
This is a problem that I often have as well. It seems that the best you can really hope for are retainers, which are often made of cheap plastic. I know you can purchase better quality quartz ones on certain websites, but they still suck.

I have never really attempted to hide my piercings, but for a time I had to wear retainers while working at a job involving heavy machinery. It really depends on what sort of job you are hoping to get since different companies have different policies regarding that sort of thing. For instance it is quite obvious that you are not likely to be hired for a secretary position with facial piercings. However big companies like Walmart for example often don't care if you have a clear retainer in. For situations like this I suggest going to the interview without any jewelry in at all, and then after being hired show up wearing retainers.

As for the O rings those little fuckers are the most annoying things in the world. If you're going to be wearing retainers a lot I suggest having a lot of clear O rings around because you will constantly lose, eat, and break them. It sounded like you were saying an O ring was going into your lip? If that's the case you should adjust the jewelry and loosen it up some by moving the O ring further away from your lip. I've had O rings migrate down a retainer and find their way into my lip from eating and stuff. They can really irritate the piercing and even cause it to swell so make sure the O rings aren't on too tightly.

yes thats what it is pretty much doing now, migrating down into the hole from inside.

i have it on there as far away as possible, but it is still slipping in, or slipping off.

I guess Ill buy a pack offline, they are cheaper there in bulk, hot topic charges way too much.

Right now Im just trying to find any job, I can get to get some money, since I just lost mine.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:59 PM   #9
twistedsyn

I have the 1st one, and the 2nd is for other piecings but they look cool.

I think Im going to just get a small stud with a clear acrylic ball... its clear so not that noticable and if I go into an interview I can ask their policy on piercings.

i mean right now..if Its between the piercings and a good job, the job is the winner. I am almost broke with bills piling up.

But I don't like to sacrifice my individuality , if I don't have too. Its not just a piercing to me...Im not some stupid teenager wanting to keep it just because it is cool (which is it ) =p
Old 12-23-2008, 08:06 PM   #10
korinna5555

Dude, don't buy body jewelry from Hot Topic.. >_>
Old 12-23-2008, 08:09 PM   #11
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
Now that's just the best idea yet PoS.

But yeah, most places won't care if they're retail. Just stuffy corporate jobs care. Just make sure you're facial (as in non-ear) piercings don't go into double digits, then you'll have issues.
Dude.
Not true.

Most retail places really do care.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:11 PM   #12
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555
Dude, don't buy body jewelry from Hot Topic.. >_>
You can buy body jewelry from hot topic. I had some once that lasted a good while till I gauged myself right past it. Just.. make sure you soak it in really strong antiseptics for about a day ... Just to be on the safe side.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:12 PM   #13
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Dude.
Not true.

Most retail places really do care.
Not the ones I've ran into. Guess it depends store by store. All the retails I used to work didn't give half a shit if it was reasonable. If you look like an African Tribe leader then yeah, but snakebites shouldn't be that hard.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:22 PM   #14
PortraitOfSanity

I worked at Gap for a year with: a total of 5 lip piercings, 2 sets of snakebites, one inside the other and 1 center labret; 3 rings in my right eyebrow, a stretched nostril and a triple pierced tongue.

If you do your job well, they don't give a shit what you look like.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:23 PM   #15
twistedsyn

Yea depends on the place. It normally states right in the application . Safeway, Walmart..those places all had people with a stud or 2 in their face. but food places normally wont let you, or upscale stores. The shoe store had a girl with a nose stud. I can get a feel from the store by looking at the people working there though, but those stores mainly don't pay shit. I was making 17 an hour, with my commission.. if I get a Mall job..id need a 2nd job to back it up, and Ill still be fucked. I guess it will have to do, until I find something better
Old 12-23-2008, 08:27 PM   #16
korinna5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
You can buy body jewelry from hot topic. I had some once that lasted a good while till I gauged myself right past it. Just.. make sure you soak it in really strong antiseptics for about a day ... Just to be on the safe side.
I've never felt comfortable buying jewelry from there, since they don't list the metal content. They're also outrageously expensive. :/
Old 12-23-2008, 08:51 PM   #17
Wormboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555
I've never felt comfortable buying jewelry from there, since they don't list the metal content. They're also outrageously expensive. :/
Yeah, didn't say they were the best. Expensive as balls I know. I like BAF. It's aces.

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:56 PM   #18
twistedsyn

I only bought them from HT because I needed them right then..otherwise i'd do it online. I am going to buy a few right now, some regular studs and retainers.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:57 PM   #19
Wormboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormboy
Yeah, didn't say they were the best. Expensive as balls I know. I like BAF. It's aces.
I need to type slower. It should read

Yeah, he didn't say they were the best.

Damned impatience.

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:59 AM   #20
twistedsyn

I bought 2 studs and 2 spike studs from Spencers, plus some clear balls.. buy 1 , 50% off the 2nd. Not bad.

Ill wear the small clear balls and see what happens.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:57 AM   #21
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
If it comes down to it, don't sacrifice working for a few piercings.
Yeah, I know it sucks, but a job IS more important then holding onto some piercings, regardless of how smashing they look.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:16 PM   #22
Sanguine Heart

You could grow a beard and use the clear balls from spencers, just make sure to keep it neat..
Sanguine Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:27 AM   #23
crucifix

that's why I had to take my lip ring out only a few months after getting it: my job. Eh, trying to advance in retail is hard enough, but really hard when you have crap in your face. My boss doesn't mind tattoos. Though I am careful to get them in places that can be covered up by long sleeves and a big collar in case I ever get another job someday. I don't like it, but I have to look semi 'normal' at work. Which brings us to the philosophical discussion of 'what is normal'........?
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #24
Mealla

Though policies vary by company, retail companies typically don't care if you have piercings so long as you have clear jewelry or clear plugs in. Many businesses do tend to have a fit if it's plainly visible unless it's somewhere like Spencer's, Hot Topic, a piercing/tattoo parlor, etc.

Warehouse and factory jobs they typically don't care about piercings so long as they won't interfere with safely operating machinery. *Some* call centers don't care, but that varies by call center. Some have a strict business casual dress code, but I've had friends work for some tech support companies where you could show up in your pajamas and they wouldn't care so long as you met your call quota for the day.

Lots of fashion-oriented places don't care either. The hairdresser that normally styles my hair is covered in piercings and tattoos, for example, and her employers obviously don't care.

In this economy, finding a job should take precedence over appearance, however. Good luck though. I'd start searching in those types of positions mentioned above. Either positions that are fashion-savvy, relating to body modification, or don't deal directly with the public.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #25
Man In Room 5

Just get a job where your face is covered all day. Have you considered an exciting career as;

A medieval executioner?
Grand Wizard of the K K K?
Hockey Goalie?*
Member of Slipknot?+

* This option also allows you to moonlight as a serial killer at teen summer camps.
+ No musical experience required.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote