Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Shill
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Shill Post your website announcements here. Anything that is blatantly SPAM (nigerian schemes, make money fast, etc) will be deleted. Actually, we'd probably keep the nigerian schemes around to make fun of it.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:28 PM   #26
Mealla

Someone I know once told me her psychologist explained it to someone like this...

"Well, the way I understand it, emo is goth for wussies."
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #27
menus era sota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opteron_Man
Wrapped up in their own sadness and despair.
And wear black at the same time.

eh. most of the fuckers pretend to be in such despair. it's their whole image thing.

my goth friend can to this conclusion once after beign called an emo:
" if you're skinny and waer black, you're called an emo'
if you're fat and wear black, you're called a goth"

i usually roll my eyes at the word because i have to correct my cousin from saying elmo.
but overall, shank them.
menus era sota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:08 AM   #28
Devil's Darling

Emo is a person thirsty for attention using the "I am alone and no one understands my feelings" crap thinking that people would actually give a damn.
Devil's Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:17 AM   #29
All Shall Be Judged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil's Darling
Emo is a person thirsty for attention using the "I am alone and no one understands my feelings" crap thinking that people would actually give a damn.
Half-right. It's a subculture ostensibly based upon music, but which has been adopted by angst-ridden teens and reformed into a cult of self-pity built around the pervasive concept of the traumatic nature of common experiences, with which the popularisation of psychoanalytic theory has poisoned modern culture.
All Shall Be Judged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #30
Tam Li Hua

If that's true, doesn't that mean that ALL teens are "emo", since they're ALL angst-ridden?
Old 02-10-2009, 11:40 AM   #31
All Shall Be Judged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua
If that's true, doesn't that mean that ALL teens are "emo", since they're ALL angst-ridden?
No - only the ones who think this makes them speshul and uncommonly deep and sensitive, to the point where they feel the need to create a subculture out of it. (And the ones who genuinely enjoy the music and fashion.)
Old 02-10-2009, 11:43 AM   #32
Tam Li Hua

In that case, is there any difference between a teen emo and a teen goth..?
Old 02-10-2009, 11:47 AM   #33
All Shall Be Judged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua
In that case, is there any difference between a teen emo and a teen goth..?
None whatsoever.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #34
Tam Li Hua

Ah HAH! I KNEW it! XD
Old 02-10-2009, 12:15 PM   #35
Mir

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Shall Be Judged
Half-right. It's a subculture ostensibly based upon music, but which has been adopted by angst-ridden teens and reformed into a cult of self-pity built around the pervasive concept of the traumatic nature of common experiences, with which the popularisation of psychoanalytic theory has poisoned modern culture.
This reasoning applies to ALL subcultures.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:18 PM   #36
All Shall Be Judged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir
Of course - that's why there's no difference between an emo, a goth, a punk, a skinhead, and a whatever. The music and fashion differs, but the urge to throw yourself into a pre-formed identity remains exactly the same.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:20 PM   #37
menus era sota

i don't think so. but whatever
menus era sota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #38
All Shall Be Judged

Quote:
Originally Posted by menus era sota
i don't think so. but whatever
Either outline your counterargument, or remain silent. Such uninformative interjections are merely irksome.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #39
Mealla

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Shall Be Judged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir
First off, this reasoning does not apply to all subcultures. Not all subcultures are based off music. Furry (love it or hate it, it is a subculture) and the BDSM community come to mind. Secondly, not all are angst-ridden, self-pitying teens. Metalheads, while often full of angst, are not usually self-pitying. Though it's arguable what they ended up accomplishing in the end, hippies and punks were not self-pitying and even genuinely tried to change the world they lived in. Music was an element in each subculture, but both were far more politically based than merely music-based.

As to the difference in goth and emo, I can state that the musical style is different, there are stylistic differences, and goth has less of the angst-ridden self-pitying bit (with the exception of kinderbats). Overall, especially lately, I find that the gothically inclined have far less tolerance for things such as self-harm, and have always had more focus on DIY and appreciating individualism while still somehow clinging to the cliquish, judgmental nature of the general culture. Judging and cliquishness are common to the human species as a whole, however, humans being pack animals (or in some cases, herd animals) and all.

Another note, I've known some older goths, some even going into their 50s, while I have not as of yet seen any older emos. Therefore, goth, while perhaps appealing to youth, is not exclusively a youth culture, whereas emo appears to be just whiny teenagers so far, though that may change as emos age, or maybe they'll just grow out of it. All power to them if they can rise above mere angst, the focus on self-harm, and imo, shitty music.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:24 PM   #40
All Shall Be Judged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mealla
First off, this reasoning does not apply to all subcultures. Not all subcultures are based off music. Furry (love it or hate it, it is a subculture) and the BDSM community come to mind. Secondly, not all are angst-ridden, self-pitying teens. Metalheads, while often full of angst, are not usually self-pitying. Though it's arguable what they ended up accomplishing in the end, hippies and punks, were not self-pitying and even genuinely tried to change the world they lived in. Music was an element in each subculture, but both were far more politically based than merely music-based.
The compulsion to conglomerate around a common ideal, whilst simultaneously positing this ideal as a form of rebellion against the status quo, was the point of My post. Did you actually think I was claiming that all subcultures are derived from the "emotional hardcore" branch of music?

A disproportionate amount of most subculture members ARE angst-ridden teens, because this is the age at which humans are in search of identity. Dissatisfaction ("angst") is a symptom of this phase in development, and more often than not, becomes outwardly controlled as we age and become assimilated into the normative cultural model. Some residues may remain, but subcultures are generally populated by adolescents.

Quote:
As to the difference in goth and emo, I can state that the musical style is different first-off, there are stylistic differences, and goth has less of the angst-ridden self-pitying bit (with the exception of kinderbats). Overall, especially lately, I find that the gothically inclined have far less tolerance for things such as self-harm, and have always had more focus on DIY and appreciating individualism while still somehow clinging to the cliquish, judgmental nature of the general culture.
Dealt with above.

Quote:
Judging and cliquishness are common to the human species as a whole, however, humans being pack animals (or in some cases, herd animals) and all.
It's good to know that you did grasp the essential point of My post, however poorly you chose to apply it. I am gratified.

I ask you - what is the subculture if not this very impulse, in people who do not identify with the general mainstream culture? This is the whole point of My argument, so if you can offer any new insights, please do.

Quote:
Another note, I've known some older goths, some even going into their 50s, while I have not as of yet seen any older emos. Therefore, goth, while perhaps appealing to youth, is not exclusively a youth culture, whereas emo appears to be just whiny teenagers so far, though that may change as emos age, or maybe they'll just grow out of it.
Precisely - "AS EMOS AGE". The modern form of emo as a subculture is still young, so this anecdotal evidence means little at this point.

Actually, that is merely a musing, because there is no such thing as anecdotal evidence. Just anecdote, which is not evidence at all.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:02 AM   #41
Albert Mond

Saying all subcultures are essentially the same is true only from the idea that all people are the same. I myself enjoy categorization of people and groups over the much more vague former.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:55 AM   #42
Scareebowfairy

Emo is just another fad, to add to the always evolving list of fads.
I say pick a fad you like and go with it.
Scareebowfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:07 AM   #43
Vivi

Ive noticed that emos have been dying out around here. Well, actual emos that is. According to the teens in the clone brand clothing who are assholes to everyone, anyone who is slightly out of the ordinary is an emo and will have the name shouted at them from across the street.
Vivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:49 AM   #44
Albert Mond

I think I've noticed an emo decline, too. I think the true emos left first. It's kinda like the opposite of the way Goth works.
When a Goth sees a poser doing it wrong, they'll usually call them out until the poser either leaves or changes.
I think most true emos left when they saw it becoming a fad. The ones that didn't leave mostly poserized themselves to fit in.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:33 PM   #45
Fae-wolf

Emo- kids who think they are original when they are only following the mainstream trend. They think no one understands them and they are overly emotional. What's funny? They won't admit it!
Fae-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:22 AM   #46
angel of darkness

Emo means to me emotional teenagers. black make-up. skinny jeans. hair before their eye .
angel of darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:40 AM   #47
Faeir

Quote:
Emo to me means a pretty much dead subculture that formed in the 80s with emotive-hardcore punk music and angsty teen bastards recycling the name to label their abnormal behaviour today. Its a style consisting of checker and diamond pattern "nerdy" clothing and oily hair cut to lok scruffy, often with long bangs and brushed accross the face. The emo of today is a stupid teen trend and is nowhere near as good as the "emo" people from the 80s and 90s and is just an exaggeration of the emotional factor of the style.
Couldn't have said it any better.

Emo really seems to only apply to teens, because while I've seen gothic men and women much older than 30, I have yet to see an emo individual over 25.
Faeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #48
HellforgedX

Emo, to me, brings to mind coleslaw. Click here to see what I mean.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:36 PM   #49
Lord Whiskerton

http://www.personal.ceu.hu/students/...Images/emu.jpg

Makes me think of this.

Second Account that I doubt I'll be using: MiladyMalice
Lord Whiskerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:43 PM   #50
allyssa

emo....commercialized, mall produced, easily accessed style...capitalist to the extreme and simultaneously hating capitalism..."By the way did I tell you I am the lead singer of a band" as he brushes the bangs out of his eyes....so very cute though....
allyssa is offline   Reply With Quote