Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:06 AM   #2976
ThaLastDaysOfMrs.R

The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery.
Highly recommended.
ThaLastDaysOfMrs.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #2977
carakitty

Yesterday I started reading "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" by Lewis Carroll. On my phone! I have always thought that I would hate reading on a small electronic device but it was shockingly pleasant!
Old 12-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #2978
Lighthouse

Ender's Game-Orson Scott Card
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:58 AM   #2979
DL Winters

Re-reading "Gothic Charm School" as well as "Got A Minute: 60 Second Erotica"
DL Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #2980
Valhalla

The Devil You Know by Mike Carey. It's about a paranormal investigator/exorcist, I have a real weakness for these kinds of books. I'm around page 200 or so right now. In places it seems to drag, but I am really enjoying it.

It was Carey's first novel, so hopefully the books will just keep getting better as the series progresses.
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #2981
MissCheyenne

Not me but my 7 year old, he's reading White Fang by Jack London. He hated books until he realised he could read books on his tablet thing. Now he's always looking for new books he can get on it. Might have to get him a kindle at some point to encourage him even further.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #2982
Miss Absynthe

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke.

I've read it before and really enjoy it. One of the things I really enjoy is that she has included footnotes about the 'history' behind the events (all of which are fictitious).
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:42 AM   #2983
CuckooTuli

I liked Strange & Norrell, too. I didn't think it needed to be as long as it was, but I enjoyed it.

Tropic of Cancer, by Henry Miller. After that will be Journey to the End of the Night (Celine), which I've been looking forward to for a LONG time - I've heard nothing but amazing things about this book.

Current toilet reading is the 5th installment of Preacher (Dixie Fried) which is rapidly becoming my favourite comic ever.
"Friends are allowed to make mistakes. The enemy is not allowed to make mistakes because his whole existence is a mistake, and we suffer from it. But the women's liberation front and gay liberation front are our friends, they are our potential allies, and we need as many allies as possible.” - Huey Newton
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #2984
PorlNecklace

I'm currently finishing works by William S. Burroughs and Marquis De Sade. After which its The Alexiad by Anna Comnena, then Anatole France's Revolt of the Angels. While for comics, I can't resist compilation volumes of old Harvey strips. Hot Stuff, Stumbo, Caspar and Wendy, etc.
PorlNecklace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #2985
NKR

Wormwood:Gentleman Corpse
NKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #2986
Aphra

Mister B. Gone by Clive Barker

Amazing how this book draws me in closer and closer with every page!
Aphra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #2987
dennisse

I am a surgeon and am reading about some male breast reduction surgery thesis for my surgical procedure but ofterntimes, I read some AVON novels too.
dennisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #2988
Victoria Lovecraft

Location: Am I in the library? No? Perhaps the pantry? No. Damn.Hm... Check the laboratory. Yup, found me.
"Smoke and Mirrors" by Neil Gaiman.
That man is my hero. I've particularly enjoyed the story "Shoggoth's Old Peculiar" so far.
Victoria Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #2989
Saya

I loved Smoke And Mirrors! Really should reread it. I think the only one I disliked in that one was the one where Snow White was a vampire who would bite her father's dick.

I got Green River Killer by Jeff Jensen today, can't wait to start.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #2990
Solumina

This afternoon I sat down with The Invention of Hugo Cabret, it was a quick read but I really loved it.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #2991
Xombie

I've been reading a few things, mainly for school. I just finished the play Translations by Brian Friel. It's about the anglicization of Ireland in the 19th century. Having just read A Short History of Ireland to start off the class (Contemporary Irish Literature), it was really interesting to put some of the history into context.

I'm also in the middle of reading Rewilding the World by Caroline Fraser which is a commentary on wildlife conservation on a global scale. Diggin' it.

Aaaand in between it all I'm trying to read 1984 again because I was in 7th grade when I read it the first time, and it didn't all click back then.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #2992
MissCheyenne

I'm reading a few fantasy books including Prince of the Blood, a beginners guide to quantum physics, some practical guides to basic floristry and I'm reading Unpeople : Britain's Secret Human Rights Abuses again.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #2993
Ventis

Re-reading the Books of Blood series by Clive Barker. I forgot about them until I started ravaging through my closet cleaning out those pesky dust bunnies.
Ventis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:48 PM   #2994
CyanideandRaspberryTea

'Tithe' by Holly Black. It's a teenybopper book, but I've been having a nostalgia period, and I used to read stuff like this when i was younger <3
CyanideandRaspberryTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #2995
strigoi

I'm rereading Dracula for the billionth time, well perhaps I exaggerate...
strigoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #2996
Purepsycho

Just recently finished Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman - soo good, really enjoyed this not one i'd normally ready but a collegue lent me this as i have a thing for rats

Currently reading A lick of Frost by Laurell K Hamilton - 1st one of hers i'm reading and loving the action, darkness and sexualness of it (was given it by a friend, i'm really enjoying it but think i should've started at the begining of the series :S )

And up next on the list is American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Purepsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:17 PM   #2997
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xombie View Post
Aaaand in between it all I'm trying to read 1984 again because I was in 7th grade when I read it the first time, and it didn't all click back then.
When you do, pay attention to the idea of doublethink and the concepts of hermeneutics. I fucking hate it when people read 1984 and all they get from it is the concept of Big Brother. Shows they didn't really read it.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:37 AM   #2998
Fruitbat

Fifty shades of grey. shhhh....

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #2999
Victoria Lovecraft

Location: Am I in the library? No? Perhaps the pantry? No. Damn.Hm... Check the laboratory. Yup, found me.
Just finished re-re-reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland this morning, and I *was* reading Dante's Inferno before my poor Kindle took a dive and smashed.
Victoria Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:11 AM   #3000
typicallydia

a lot right now, but the fave atm are - "Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers" by Mary Roach - and "Summer, Fireworks and my Corpse" by Otsuichi.
typicallydia is offline   Reply With Quote