Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 02-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #51
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn View Post
Not sure if you guys over there (wherever) have seen this in your own news?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...?newsfeed=true

Interesting. I'd try it. I dont see any reason it shouldn't taste any different , being after all grown from cow cells the way the rest of the cow is. Though to be fair I dislike red meat and burgers so I'd rather they hurry up and start on chicken .

Plus it would reduce the farming of animals without the ridiculous total stoppage of actually eating them. Very few would be needed to make this stem cell meat, and as I have mentioned in past debate, reduction in herd sizes should ensure a far more manageable healthier stock of beasts that are easier to house and slaughter in better cleaner conditions.
It's a revolting thought. like GM crops - just doesn't do it for me. bleah!

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #52
honeythorn

I'm pretty sure this isn't GM Fruity. They just took normal stem cells from a cow, and have basically provided them with a nutrient to grow in, that would basically contain all the things a cow embryo would need to grow into a calf ( petri dish jellified contents) , then electroshocked them to grow quicker.

It's pretty much what would happen inside a cows uterus...just in a glass dish. Admittedly doesn't look too stupendous in that lab but it's basically exactly the same meat, genetically, as the cow it came from. They just took a tiny fragment and can force it grow bigger without the need for breeding a new animal and feeding it up for slaughter.

It's not too different in principle from fruit grafting. You take a small piece of something established, and grow a ready to use specimen more quickly from that.

The quickest way to grow a new fruit tree and have it produce fruit in the first year ( not possible from seed whatsoever ) , is to take a cutting and graft it onto a host tree of planting size. Not remotely natural but it's safe and it works. No GM required.

Purepsycho - There would be a need for farms, as you can't get stem cells out of thin air. The number of farms would be dramatically reduced and herd/flock sizes similarly reduced. But they would still need to breed animals to obtain the stem cells in the first place. They could simply do it much much easier, more cheaply, and provide better conditions for the smaller number of beasts to live and die in. ( Which they can actually do now they just can't be arsed )

And I hate to break this to you but most farms are not actually cramped, since the beasts live or spend a great part of their time outside where they are supposed to be. The number of farms containing their stock indoors 24/7 worldwide is actually relatively small because it costs a fortune to heat and light the buildings if nothing else.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #53
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Yeah, because after we get rid of the industry where most of our grain production goes to, it's logical that we will need even more grain.
I chuckled pretty hard.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #54
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn View Post
I'm pretty sure this isn't GM Fruity. They just took normal stem cells from a cow, and have basically provided them with a nutrient to grow in, that would basically contain all the things a cow embryo would need to grow into a calf ( petri dish jellified contents) , then electroshocked them to grow quicker.

It's pretty much what would happen inside a cows uterus...just in a glass dish. Admittedly doesn't look too stupendous in that lab but it's basically exactly the same meat, genetically, as the cow it came from. They just took a tiny fragment and can force it grow bigger without the need for breeding a new animal and feeding it up for slaughter.

It's not too different in principle from fruit grafting. You take a small piece of something established, and grow a ready to use specimen more quickly from that.

The quickest way to grow a new fruit tree and have it produce fruit in the first year ( not possible from seed whatsoever ) , is to take a cutting and graft it onto a host tree of planting size. Not remotely natural but it's safe and it works. No GM required.

Purepsycho - There would be a need for farms, as you can't get stem cells out of thin air. The number of farms would be dramatically reduced and herd/flock sizes similarly reduced. But they would still need to breed animals to obtain the stem cells in the first place. They could simply do it much much easier, more cheaply, and provide better conditions for the smaller number of beasts to live and die in. ( Which they can actually do now they just can't be arsed )

And I hate to break this to you but most farms are not actually cramped, since the beasts live or spend a great part of their time outside where they are supposed to be. The number of farms containing their stock indoors 24/7 worldwide is actually relatively small because it costs a fortune to heat and light the buildings if nothing else.
Nup it's not GM modification of crops... they could still get stem cells from embryo's (so all they need are eggs and sperm) and seriously it's still gross.

Yeah and tree grafting is a little different, plus it takes more than a year for a grafted fruit tree to produce fruit but it is quicker than having them grow from seed, plus growing fruit trees from seed does not mean that you will get a tree true to it's parent's type, which is why they graft them in the first place, so they get the same genetic material....

I think my bias towards my dislike of meat is coming through. the article made me want to produce vast quantities of technicolour yawns, or as I like to call it Puke-o-rama.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #55
Haejin

I personally would never eat it, and I find it gross, but if people aren't able to give up meat...then it's def. a better route for them. Still has cholesterol though I'm sure. I'll stick to my plant based diet.
Haejin is offline   Reply With Quote