Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:25 PM   #26
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Now I'm conflicted, I hear its long and I really really do not like sitting still for that long, I get antsy and I stop enjoying a movie. I think the only two exceptions to this ever was The Fellowship Of The Ring (knew what was going to happen I guess) and The Dark Knight (it was really engrossing). Is this a "I can't believe that was three hours!" movie?

Also I hear the dialogue is hilariously bad and the story line indeed silly and unoriginal, but I want to see it mainly for the CGI and 3D.
I am one of those can't sit still long enough for a movie too. It was a good movie in my opinion, but I did get antsy could not sit through the whole thing. For me it was not one of those movies where I sit through it and then go "holy shit it was that long?" I got up twice during it. Don't get me wrong, I really liked it. I thought it was an awesome movie. But for me, I couldn't sit through it. There were parts where you come back to reality and realize you are watching a movie. There are a few down time spots where you gonna get that.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:49 PM   #27
vindicatedxjin

Yah it really doesn't feel that long at all... I actually walked out wishing it had of lasted longer.

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:24 PM   #28
gothicusmaximus

I can't believe xjin is still posting on this forum.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:37 AM   #29
vindicatedxjin

Why is it so hard to believe? You guys aren't "that" mean.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 12-31-2009, 10:50 AM   #30
the-nihilist

I think movies are getting too predictable now a days. They should have ended the movie with the Colonel shivving both protagonists and then strip mining the whole planet.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:58 PM   #31
Anarasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
I would think so, it would be illogical to make 3d glasses that neglect a large portion of the population. If worse comes to wear you can bring tape so you can tape it onto your glasses.
Do you return the glasses after the film is done? (I have no idea what they cost to make, so I can draw no logical conclusion to my question on my own)
Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #32
vindicatedxjin

yah I always do. I kept the first pair i got, and then from then on forward I give them back.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 01-02-2010, 01:14 AM   #33
Saya

Soooooo I think I'm going to wait for the pirate, erm, I mean dvd. My brother knows me very well and says "Its pretty but got a really bad story line that is Pocahontas rehashed and is very preachy. You're the type who's going to hate it."

My dad loved it though, but his only defense for all the complaints is "But its going to change the way we watch movies!"

So yeah, I don't think special effects can save a bad plot so I'm going to see a Disney cartoon instead.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:13 PM   #34
Mr E Nigma

I've heard the story complaint, and so far it's the only complaint. So what I'll say to the affect of the story, it may not be original, but it re-did that story better than it's ever been done before in my opinion. It was amazingly well paced, character development was on par. And while some parts of the movie were predictable more parts weren't predictable and it was beyond beautiful. My only minor minor complaint was that once in a red moon I didn't get the energy from the actors when they'd say "I see you" but that was about it. I'm ridiculously critical about movies and I went in to see that with such a bad taste in my mouth and the full on assumption that I would bash the everliving shit out of it....

I don't know if it was because I went into the movie with low expectations, or if it's because I went and saw it in IMAX: 3D (Granted it's not a legit IMAX screen) it was quite amazing to watch and moved me more than most movies could ever possibly try. Definitely buying this when it comes out on DVD, though I know it won't even compare to seeing the 3D in theaters.

Probably the best description I've heard and it's been slightly mentioned here, it is in fact Space Pocahontas. But honestly, I'd prefer to sit through Avatar again over Pocahontas, El Dorado, Last Samurai, Ferngully, Tarzan or any other movies with a related plot because as I said before, in my opinion, it told that story amazingly better.

Some of you might ask, "With such a shitty attitude towards the movie why did you even go see it?"

I had a $30 gift card and me and my friend Sam had nothing better to do.

EDIT: To the comment on the CG, honestly I completely forgot I was watching a CG'd movie at all. My brain was thinking live action 99% of the time and the only thing that brought me back to thinking 'this movie is CG' was it being in 3D in the first place.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:44 AM   #35
Saya

"in my opinion, it told that story amazingly better."

I thought about this last night and I realized that the best anti-war/environmentalist film ever done was probably Princess Mononoke, no unbelievably over the top villain, you honestly felt bad for both sides so it didn't feel so preachy and was very effective in the anti-war message. Fern Gully wasn't a good movie to rip off and neither was Pocahontas, they were both pretty wrong.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #36
Ctable

As everyone has said before, the plot is nothing new, just a new setting. Cameron makes it seem fresh through his way of storytelling, and of course, the enviroment (3D). Third best movie of the year, after District 9 (2nd) and Inglorious Basterds (1st).
Ctable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:17 PM   #37
Mr E Nigma

Well Saya, the thing is it's not really ripping off any movie directly, it's just a similar story arch that a lot of films have used in the past.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #38
Corpsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
"in my opinion, it told that story amazingly better."

I thought about this last night and I realized that the best anti-war/environmentalist film ever done was probably Princess Mononoke, no unbelievably over the top villain, you honestly felt bad for both sides so it didn't feel so preachy and was very effective in the anti-war message. Fern Gully wasn't a good movie to rip off and neither was Pocahontas, they were both pretty wrong.
Mononoke for the win. I saw it a few days ago and loved it. My only complaint was the dialogue speed.

I'm glad penguin boy gave it the penguin seal of approval. This just makes me want to see it more.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:55 PM   #39
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr E Nigma View Post
Well Saya, the thing is it's not really ripping off any movie directly, it's just a similar story arch that a lot of films have used in the past.
Cameron already said that this is Dances With Wolves.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:03 PM   #40
Mr E Nigma

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/hero...mcrackery.html

It's a classic story line that has been played out in many many movies, just under different disguised settings... It's not a carbon copy rip-off of anything it just follows an already established story line like 99% of any other film in existence.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:19 PM   #41
SiouxsiePernova

I am going to see it tomorrow.

SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:19 PM   #42
Mr E Nigma

Too late to edit.

But also, if anyone is to timid to go see it in theaters. In a good year or so you'll be able to buy 3D capable TV's so you can enjoy your 3D movies in the comfort of your own home. I can't wait for 3D capable monitors for PC games, that shit would be intense! At the rate technology advances, we're going to start seeing a lot of newly incredible things in the upcoming decade.

Shit's crazyyyyy
Old 01-04-2010, 05:53 AM   #43
Raptor

Quote:
I can't wait for 3D capable monitors for PC games, that shit would be intense!
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/164143

http://www.iz3d.com/monitor

etc

Unless you meant waiting for them to get better / have more games / get cheaper.

Oh and I liked Avatar. None of that pop out shit for the 3D effects, it was good.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:31 AM   #44
Mr E Nigma

I meant better and was leaning more towards the TV side of things. I know they exist already but games aren't specifically made for viewing with the thought that people will be looking at them in 3D yet.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:48 PM   #45
Saya

Quote:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/hero...mcrackery.html

It's a classic story line that has been played out in many many movies, just under different disguised settings... It's not a carbon copy rip-off of anything it just follows an already established story line like 99% of any other film in existence.
Holy shit dude I just saw this and this movie probably should get sued for plagarism. I enjoyed it, but my god the plagarism.

I enjoyed seeing the Night Elf forest from World Of Warcraft on the big screen, and their big sacred tree which they lived in was pretty cool too. I liked the mounts the Night Elves got this time but I had to laugh at the end when Pocahontas got her cat mount. When he got the big red dinosaur, it was like "yay! He got an epic flying mount!" During the day time it was more like the woods in the Blood Elf's forests, but mostly I thought Night Elves what with being nine feet tall, blue and pointy eared and living in communication with a huge big sacred tree and all. And the war paint being like the markings you can get on the female night elves.

I'm glad Pocahontas's mother was alive this time and I thought she had a better character and while suffering Noble Savage syndrome like the others she seemed to have more personality than any other of the Noble Savages. Pocahontas's character was noticable flat with the only way of distinguishing her from the other Noble Savages was that she was hotter (Cameron says he designed her so that men would go home and jerk off thinking about her, according to his interview with Playboy, which might explain why she's noble and hot and thats all you can say about her.) I'm glad that John Smith made friends with Kocoum before he was shot by the settlers. While the settlers didn't sing "Savages, Savages! They aren't like you and me, and so they must be evil!" this time, their constant saying of the word "savage" trying to be a euphemism for imperialism and how white people kill and blow shit up on the basis of gold/ore/oil/unobtainium and racism, it just didn't work.

I don't recall the Native Americans getting all the animals of the forest to kick the white man's ass (although they did help Pocahontas run to save John Smith in the Disney film) and when they finally said that this was also a euphemism for the Iraq war ("We're going to fight terror with terror!" ....They haven't done anything yet!) it fails absolutely miserably, in again like I said before having it all in black and white (again, Princess Mononoke did it first and did it far better. Actually, thats another thing, the Kodama were looking grand as jellyfish) and I don't recall the Iraqis summoning all the animals of Iraq to kill all the white people in America.

This would have worked better as a bloody war where we feel bad for people on both sides, and would have done better for the confirmed sequel, and wouldn't have just made this in a bad white guilt movie. I honestly didn't get much of a environmentalist feel from this either, it was exactly like Fern Gully in which it said "chopping down trees is bad" without addressing other major major environmental issues.

To try not to rant too much, I still enjoyed myself. But its like liking a beautiful person who's absolutely stupid and ignorant. You like looking at it and derive some sort of enjoyment and pleasure, but in the end they won't really matter and you won't fall in love.

Oh, one thing I did like other than the visuals: I actually thought Jake was cool, a lot of people said he sucked too but I enjoyed him. I liked how when he's first in the forest he has to poke at everything, it was cute. And like I said, I did enjoy Pocahontas's mom, the sequel should be about her.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:53 PM   #46
PortraitOfSanity

I feel like a complete dork for understanding your entire post.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:11 PM   #47
Saya

Thats what most people say irl when I say anything. Well, the dorks anyway.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:02 AM   #48
Mr E Nigma

haha. World of warcraft... Yeah. Epic flying mount XD.

That's pretty funny. I guess I didn't see it 'cause I can't stand that game anymore and have moved on to better things that are also free .. League of Legends is fun.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:13 AM   #49
Still Jack

I never got the whole WoW thing. It just never seemed interesting enough for me to try it.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:17 AM   #50
Despanan

Apparently this movie is causing people to contemplate suicide, and not for the reason I'd expect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote