Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 07-02-2007, 05:51 AM   #1
Linen

Premonitions

Do you ever just "know" something is/isn't going to happen?

This morning on my way to work, I said to myself "my boss is going to be late to work", and she was 13 minutes late. When I say I knew, I mean there was no doubt in my mind.

Sure, you could pass it off as a coincidence because there's always a chance that someone will be late to work, but the way I feel about it is that I was just really tuned into something ethereal this morning. I have a feeling part of it is because I did a long meditation last night. I'm not usually so good at meditating for long periods of time as I'm not the kind of person who can just relax usually.

I've known things like this before, but it doesn't happen *too* often. I've had dreams that have come true before - not always every bit of the dream, but the significant parts have. Anyone else have experiences like this?
Linen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:54 AM   #2
Tha Duckman

I had a funny feeling I was gonna eat toast yesterday, and I did!!! [SHOCK]!!!
Tha Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:09 AM   #3
Linen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Duckman
I had a funny feeling I was gonna eat toast yesterday, and I did!!! [SHOCK]!!!
Har har har. :P
Old 07-02-2007, 06:11 AM   #4
Tha Duckman

Yeah, it was crap .
Old 07-02-2007, 07:05 AM   #5
Firestorm

Hindsight bias at its worst.
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:18 AM   #6
Minyaliel

Premonitions are a well- known thing to me - I often have them. Sometimes it's okay, other times it's just scary as heck. Usually it's small things like knowing who's on the phone when it starts to ring (or pick up the phone before it starts ringing), or wake up before the alarm clock because I feel that it's going to go off soon. I'm not a superstitious person, and always analyze such feelings/ incidents to death (according to a new agey friend of mine), but there are some I just can't explain, like knowing that my grandfather was going to die very soon just the day before he died (I hadn't seen him for a week, I was in the UK at the time). Some two months ago I had this really scary experience that I still haven't been able to explain to myself at all - my grandmother had spent the evening with us and was leaving. I went to give her a hug as she walked to the door. As she wrapped her arms around me, I suddenly felt as if I was holding a corpse, and was absolutely convinced for a moment that if I turned my head and looked at her I'd see this shrunken creature from some horror movie staring back... I was absolutely horrified (although I knew it was completely irrational), and had a hard time controlling myself; I felt like whimpering and trembling in terror. *shudders* After that incident, she suddenly became sick. She's aged so fast it's almost weird (she's the kind of person that seems to go on and on without ever changing or visibly going older; at 84 years she still looks - or, looked- as if she's in her late 60's or early 70's), getting pains and problems she's never had before. Then she said she wanted to die... hm, I don't know, I prefer those things when I know who's calling to spooky things like that.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:20 AM   #7
Minyaliel

Oh, and, feel free to call me mad, I know the above post sounds odd...
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:27 AM   #8
Tha Duckman

I'd prefer to call you... Jeff!
Old 07-02-2007, 07:40 AM   #9
Linen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minyaliel
Oh, and, feel free to call me mad, I know the above post sounds odd...
I don't think it's crazy. When I was 9 I had a dream that I was home alone after school (which was a common occurance), and that I was talking on the phone with my grandmother. The line beeped, so I told her I had another call and switched over. When I said "hello?" there was nothing but this creepy, heavy breathing like "heeeegghhhhhh! Hegghhhhh Hghhhhhh!". I switched back to my grandmother's line and said "Um... that was weird...".
That was the end of the dream.

The next day (in real life), I didn't tell ANYONE about the dream. When I came home from school and was home alone, the phone rang. I said "hello?", and sure enough there was the heavy breathing "Hegghhh hggghhh! huhhhghhhh!". I asked "who is this?" and they hung up. So the only part of my dream that didn't come true was talking to my grandmother on the other line. It freaked me the hell out as I was only 9 years old (heck it would freak me out now). Sure, it was obviously a prank call, but it's strange that I dreamed that it would happen just the night before. Nobody could've known my dream because I didn't mention it until AFTER it came true.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:44 PM   #10
Clockwork

o_O Strange stuff, that.

I don't recall ever having any life-changing premonitions, but damn, there's thing that happens to me all the time, and it drives me mad. As I'm doing something during the day, I'll be thinking of a scene from a random movie for whatever reason - sometimes from one I haven't seen in years - and then later that day it ends up being on the TV station I flip to, or it's a movie my mom puts in the dvd. Has to have happened well near fifty times since it's started.

Pretty lame psychic power, eh? XP
Old 07-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #11
Aaroneet

Yes, I have had plenty of premonitions. Usually, it takes the form of resulting insomnia, and it has to deal with someone I care about. Something felt amiss; I was in a stressed state during the winter break, and came back to find out that my teacher had cancer. The first one I had, though, was a dream that a gaunt figure disguised as the Grim Reaper was chasing me, and playing electric guitar outside my window. I woke up to hear an echo that seemed to say, "I'm leaving now. Don't be afraid". The next morning, my mother had told me that my hero at the time, George Harrison of The Beatles, had died the night before.

Another time resulted in a brief bout with insomnia. Something felt amiss, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I wake up to find to hear that somebody I knew (all names of people I know are going to be kept anonymous, for the purposes of this), was suffering internally. What's odd is that when I get these, I'm usually very jumpy right before it occurs.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:33 AM   #12
Linen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork
o_O Strange stuff, that.

I don't recall ever having any life-changing premonitions, but damn, there's thing that happens to me all the time, and it drives me mad. As I'm doing something during the day, I'll be thinking of a scene from a random movie for whatever reason - sometimes from one I haven't seen in years - and then later that day it ends up being on the TV station I flip to, or it's a movie my mom puts in the dvd. Has to have happened well near fifty times since it's started.

Actually it's kind of cool. That happens a lot with me too. I'll think of a show or movie, or of a song, and it will suddenly be on (or sometimes a bit later).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaroneet
Yes, I have had plenty of premonitions. Usually, it takes the form of resulting insomnia, and it has to deal with someone I care about. Something felt amiss; I was in a stressed state during the winter break, and came back to find out that my teacher had cancer. The first one I had, though, was a dream that a gaunt figure disguised as the Grim Reaper was chasing me, and playing electric guitar outside my window. I woke up to hear an echo that seemed to say, "I'm leaving now. Don't be afraid". The next morning, my mother had told me that my hero at the time, George Harrison of The Beatles, had died the night before.

Another time resulted in a brief bout with insomnia. Something felt amiss, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I wake up to find to hear that somebody I knew (all names of people I know are going to be kept anonymous, for the purposes of this), was suffering internally. What's odd is that when I get these, I'm usually very jumpy right before it occurs.
Wow, that's creepy. I definitely wouldn't want to know if someone was going to die. I have felt the prescence of and/or seen ghosts of both (already dead) people I knew and some I never knew, however.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:49 AM   #13
Saphyra Runa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork
o_O Strange stuff, that.

This works with people for me. If I haven't seen someone for awhile and I am thinking about them that day they either show up or call the same day.

Weirdest/scariest thing that has ever happened was in teens I had a dream of a plane crash. Next day my Mum was watching the news and they were showing a picture of the plane coming down in the Sioux City crash landing. I stopped and was amazed, it was like the picture was taken right out of my dream.

I have lot's of visions, nothing I can control or understand until later. I wish I could manage them better but I always have been late for everything.

Pardon the unfinishedness of it all
Saphyra Runa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:49 AM   #14
Delicate_Torture

I often know things. It has become quite a running joke with my girlfriend and her family.

One of the more disturbing things that I sometimes know is that particular patients are going to die on this admission to hospital. Sometimes I even know when. I'm thinking that this is probably less preminition and more a case of working with the dying for so long that you get an understanding of how the process of death works and can see the really subtle signs.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:03 AM   #15
Velvet_Mansfield

I always get that subconscious feeling, where the feeling doesn't quite surface all the way, but in the back of my head, it's there.

All of my premonitions are usually pretty mundane, like knowing who's calling, when someone's going pull in the driveway, or what song is going to play next on the radio. A lot of times I know what someone is going to tell me before they actually tell me.

A few months though, a girl who went to my school died suddenly. Now, I didn't know her very well, but I kept getting a feeling of her presence. A few days later I was reading when I felt this surge of energy. Immediately, I thought of the girl and thought this had something to do with her. After that I didn't feel her presence anymore, and there seemed to be this odd peacefulness about the whole situation. I don't know if that sounds lame, but it's really hard to describe.

Most of the time though, it's my subconscious that knows things and I don't get full fledged thoughts, so I wish I could be more on top of it.
Velvet_Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote