Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:57 PM   #1
alee

Eyebrows

I've been shaving off my eyebrows for about a year, but I don't draw them on.. Everytime I try they turn out like crap! I really wanna draw them on though.. I'm sick of trying I just wanna get them tattooed on..

But I want to know how, or like tips, or pictures, or something...
alee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:05 PM   #2
KontanKarite

Go to the intro board and let us get to know you. You're an interesting person, share yourself with us.

Anyway, I kinda always thought that you could do it with tape and an Xacto knife.

Get a piece of gray tape and fold i in half, sticky side out and draw the shape you want on one of the sticky sides. I guess black marker will work for this. Also make sure the tape covers the length of your brow so that your eye brows wont be off center. Take the tape and Xacto Knife and slice the shape out of the tape and then pretty much, when you unfold it, you'll have your eyebrow shapes on the tape. Put it on your forehead and "stencil" them on by coloring in the shapes. Pull off the tape and they should be relatively identical and in the right positions.

Try that and see what you get. I imagine that if I shaved my eye brows, this is what I would have done.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:11 PM   #3
alee

Ohh, I had to read that like 3 times, but I get it..
I'll try it, thankks.
=]
alee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:15 PM   #4
Underwater Ophelia

First of all, make your font bigger.

Now. I also shave mine off, and I paint them on with liquid eyeliner. The above technique can be good, but you have to get the tape in the right place, with is harder than you think.
All I can say is practice.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:16 PM   #5
Arashi

You shave off your eyebrows? Interesting..

I don't do that, however, I do end up having to "draw" on my eyebrows. The reason being that I dye my hair black, and having black hair and nearly invisible blonde eyebrows looks rather strange on me. Even though I just follow my natural eyebrow shape, it does get rather difficult to achieve symmetrical eyebrows.

Anyway, back to the point, I would recommend that you practice drawing whatever eyebrow shape you want on paper... I used that as a method for perfecting my eyebrows, and it really has helped.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:18 PM   #6
Lucretia_my_Reflection

I shave,pluck and cut mine into shape then i pencil them in with either a black pencil sometimes i will have purple eyebrows.
Lucretia_my_Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:11 PM   #7
Arashi

Interestingly enough, instead of using an eyebrow pencil to color in my eyebrows, I use stick eyeliner. xp
I find it much easier to "draw" with.
Maybe that can be of help? If you're going for black eyebrows, or the few other eyeliner colors there are, that is.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:22 PM   #8
PersephoneX

I pluck. I've got really thick, dark eyebrows so i dont need to draw them on, ever...
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:42 PM   #9
Arashi

I wish I had naturally dark eyebrows.. It'd save me a lot of time while putting on makeup.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:12 AM   #10
honeythorn

I read a good tip for eyebrow recreation in a magazine ( one of my moms ! ) . It was directed at people who shave off their eyebrows, those with alopecia, or cancer sufferers going through chemo.

The trick was not to use pencil, which can look too heavy and very artificial, but a matt eyeshadow in medium-dark brown ( or darker if preferred, to match dark or black hair ) . Then to dampen a small brush, and brush it over the eyeshadow to coat it. Then you can either use an eyebrow stencil of the sort most cosmetics selling stores will sell, or follow the natural arch of your brow. I use this trick myself to darken my brows, as I am blonde naturally but dyed black, and it definitley works and looks very natural in my opinion.

Just remember never to use a shadow with glittery bits in, otherwise you will look a bit odd with sparkly eyebrows!!. Benefit have a wet/dry compact with solid eyeliner on one half and brown eyebrow pressed powder on the other. It costs about Ł15 here, that's the stuff I use. But as I say, a dark matt brown or black eyeshadow will work just as well.

It does help if you have a few hairs left as a guideline, but if you have no hairs at all, or can't remember the shape your brows used to be, then those eyebrow stencil kits would be the best bet. Most of them come with brow colourant stuff too if I remember rightly.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:13 AM   #11
chelseagirl

I also shave mine, and draw them on. The only thing I can say is practice, practice, practice! Eventually, you'll get the hang of it. It still sometimes takes me more than one attempt to get them looking the same on both sides. I have a tendency to make my left one more arched than the right. I draw them both on first really lightly, and make sure that the light lines match perfectly before I go back over them with an actualy black brow pencil. That way, I can make corrections easier, if need be.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:59 AM   #12
Saddiction

I'm partial to waxing. It's cleaner and the results last longer. I draw over them with a dark brown self sharpening eye liner to make them darker since they arn't that dark to begin with.

I'd put more thought into getting cosemetic tattoos. I personally would rather spend the time on maintenance than a permanant tattoo.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:24 AM   #13
chelseagirl

Yeah, waxing does last much longer, but waxing hurts the hair roots and can cause the hair not to grow back. I do like the look of drawn on brows now, but I want them to be able to grow back when I decide to have normal eyebrows. I'm sure I won't want to be drawing them on when I'm 50/60 years old.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:25 AM   #14
chelseagirl

Those eyebrow stencil kits are harder to use than you would think. It's hard to position them evenly so that each eyebrow is angled the same.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:31 AM   #15
Saddiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseagirl
Yeah, waxing does last much longer, but waxing hurts the hair roots and can cause the hair not to grow back. I do like the look of drawn on brows now, but I want them to be able to grow back when I decide to have normal eyebrows. I'm sure I won't want to be drawing them on when I'm 50/60 years old.
heh. My Grandma draws her eyebrows on. She's 85 so it looks funny sometimes when she doesnt draw them on straight.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:52 PM   #16
Killer_Burrito

Oh god I couldn't imagine drawing eyebrows on everyday. And I thought looking in the mirror and applying lipgloss was hard.
=)
Killer_Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:53 PM   #17
DarkHeartedDemoness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer_Burrito
Oh god I couldn't imagine drawing eyebrows on everyday. And I thought looking in the mirror and applying lipgloss was hard.
=)
I don't even do that much! I'm lucky if I remember to wash my hair every other day.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:31 PM   #18
c130

Shaved eyebrows are creepy. Why on earth do you do it? Neat plucking looks so much more natural and attractive IMO than "I had an accident with toxic waste and my eyebrows fell off". :|
Old 03-27-2007, 05:00 PM   #19
shelldoo

If I were going to shave mine (can't think of a reason to) I would draw them on like Amanda, from Dresden Dolls, her eyebrows are amazing!
shelldoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:51 PM   #20
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelldoo
If I were going to shave mine (can't think of a reason to) I would draw them on like Amanda, from Dresden Dolls, her eyebrows are amazing!
I do that.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:58 PM   #21
shelldoo

They are incredible, do you draw yours on daily? In that pattern? How long does it take to do?
Old 03-27-2007, 07:09 PM   #22
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelldoo
They are incredible, do you draw yours on daily? In that pattern? How long does it take to do?
Yup. I paint them on every day with liquid eyeliner, but not always in that pattern. When I'm lazy, it's more simple, but some days it gets crazy.
It takes anywhere from ten seconds to a few minutes, depending on what I'm doing and if I screw up and have to fix it.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:19 PM   #23
shelldoo

I am impressed, and that doesn't happen easy. I love Amanda's eyebrow's, I get tempted ocassionally, but my dh really doesn't like the look...oh the temptation!
Old 03-28-2007, 08:40 AM   #24
Linen

I am envious of people who HAVE eyebrows. My eyebrows are naturally very thin and sparse, and practically no hairs at all grow out on the ends, so I have to draw them in all the time. My mom has eyebrows like this too, and so did my grandma, though I have the thinnest eyebrows of either of them. I hate it. I'm tired of drawing in my eyebrows. My mom got hers tattooed on, but I'm not sure if I'd want to do that or not.
Linen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:46 AM   #25
Saddiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linen
I am envious of people who HAVE eyebrows. My eyebrows are naturally very thin and sparse, and practically no hairs at all grow out on the ends, so I have to draw them in all the time. My mom has eyebrows like this too, and so did my grandma, though I have the thinnest eyebrows of either of them. I hate it. I'm tired of drawing in my eyebrows. My mom got hers tattooed on, but I'm not sure if I'd want to do that or not.
I have the same problem, Linen. If I don't draw mine on, I look like I don't have any.