Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
Heart Stole Away

Red face Thinking of going Deathhawk *help*

So ya I was just messing around and am thinking about maybe going with a deathhawk. After looking at pictures and reading other threads in forums I like how they look. Unfortunately never had one and don't have a clue of how to go about getting it and styling the sucker! :P google and yahoo are worth the shit in helping with this. I know I'll be wanting to tease it up but don't exactly get what teasing is or how to go about it either. *never done it*
My hairs bout chin length and I usually just throw a mixture of gel and glue in it and throw the hair everywhere. Soooo yeah guess its obvious I need help with some stuff and it would be much appreciated. Thxxx

There's a picture in my profile if it helps any, not the most recent but not much has changed.
Heart Stole Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:23 PM   #2
LiUsAiDh

Oww, the font and colour hurts my eyes.

I think you gel the bottom up, tease it, and spray it... If that's any help.

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:32 PM   #3
Solumina

It really depends a lot on the texture of your hair so if you could tell a bit about that then it would be much easier to give you advice.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:53 PM   #4
Heart Stole Away

Hmm I guess my hairs kinda thick but not a whole lot
Old 09-21-2008, 04:02 PM   #5
Minyaliel

I think I will have to make a vid tutorial one of these days on the topic... I get huge compliments for my hawk (Iīm often stopped in the street by tourists wanting my picture), by the way, and well, it isnīt as hard as it looks. You do need gorilla arms, though.

1. Shave your sides. Or better yet, make someone shave it for you. A hairdresser does actually do this quite well, and it will be straight, so upkeeping it shouldnīt be a problem.

2. Get a crimping iron. Crimp your entire hair, going section by section from the bottom base at the neck and up. I usually divide my hair into three sections, left, middle, right in the vertical direction to be certain I get all of it done.

3. Hairspray. First lightly mist your entire hair, then use gravity. That is, bend forward, and spray while ruffling your hair a bit.

4. Backcomb/ tease it. I bought a lice comb for dogs for this very purpose because of the evenness of the gaps between the teeth. When you tease it, Iīve found it to be of much help to think of the sections. First do the section thatīs the farthest from your dominant hand (right, in my case, as Iīm left- handed), then the middle, and then the rest, going up like this from the base and up to the front. By the way, I never really tease the front much, leaving strands to hang down. Only tease it so it wonīt become a nuisance (mine would else get caught in my eye lashes or just poke me in the eyes). When teasing, be sure to get a good foundation, else the whole thing will flop down. Tease heavily at the roots, go easy at the top.

5. Hairspray the base of the hawk heavily, only lightly mist the top (else it will become too heavy).

Apart from that, keeping a spare comb and a small bottle of hairspray with you at all times has proven to be a good idea in case of natural inferences like rain or wind or the inevitable people reactions a la "ooooh, can I touch your hair? Pleeeaaase? *puppydogeyes*"
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #6
Heart Stole Away

Thx Minyaliel that helped a lot, and ya :P a tutorial vid would be amazingly useful. I still don't exactly understand HOW to tease, never doing it im a virgin to it . Anyone able to touch on that and what exactly I would be doing?
Old 09-21-2008, 06:12 PM   #7
Minyaliel

http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip100066.htm - Hereīs a how-to. Essentially, youīll be doing the opposite of normal combing. Teasing is really only a controlled way of tangling your hair into "pleasing shapes", quoting my fashionista friend.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:32 PM   #8
Heart Stole Away

Ahh ok thx again, in a sense I guess thats kinda what I do after throwing the glue and gel in my hair except I'm just using my hands and it doesn't come out as great.

...much easier to find answers on here, you guys are great!!!
Old 09-21-2008, 11:54 PM   #9
NightmareInShiningArmour

Good on you for going with a Death hawk.
Post pictures here after?
Old 09-22-2008, 01:19 AM   #10
Cicero

Minyaliel's method is basically just like mine (right down to the lice comb, haha), but if your hair is fairly thick and textured you can probably skip the crimping. If it's at all curly, straightening it beforehand can actually help.

Also to keep the hawk solid and unflappable (literally), after the initial spraying hold your head upside down, spray the base heavily, then smooth it all out from base to ends with your hands before the hairspray dries. Following this with a weak blowdry is never a bad thing. This'll also help stick any flyaway hairs that escaped the initial teasing onto the main 'structure'.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:53 AM   #11
Heart Stole Away

All of your post are quite helpful, I'll try to take pictures once I accually get it done. :P I only live with my mom and shes gonna be pretty hard to convence letting me do it. So it might take awhile.

I was wondering, could some of you guys post pictures of your deathhawks on here somewhere? trying to get an idea of how i want it to look. I think i like black with the top white but still.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:51 AM   #12
dabbadmc

https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=10662

This is the official hawk thread, and there's loads of pictures there and tips from people on how they put up theirs.

There's also a picture of Cicero in there with a black hawk and the top of it white. I think it's about 5 posts down.
dabbadmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:46 PM   #13
SpleenandIdeal

Hi! I'm looking for sites that give tips for 'deathhawk' hair and loads of pictures. I also need pictures showing the hair down normal ie after washing hair to see how much the upper hair covers the bit of hair shaven.

Please help!
SpleenandIdeal is offline   Reply With Quote