Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:24 PM   #1
XxBloodyrosexX

I found my 'sub-division'

okay to begin, I basically joined this site on a whim. At school I had always been called 'goth' even before i knew what 'goth' was. (You have NO idea how sheltered) so I'm here and, as you've seen before, asked for hair color advice etc. and never really thought much about what type of 'goth' i was. I'm sorry to say, I had quite a shallow view and thought many a time (how can i be goth if I mostly just love lace, red roses, classical music,and a good book (shakespeare love!) ?) then, i read some random thread here today about a dude who needed pants ideas. (thanks pants dude) and the first respondedent asked "What sub-division (or something like that) of goth are you? One of the things she asked was 'romanigoth' Being me I google and was brought to 'Urban Dictionary' where I found my sun-division! I can conclude that out of anything I am a corset laced big as a used to call 'princess dress' dressed girl who is a 'romancigoth'
How is 'fashion' in this? I'm asking for little things that i can change/DIY to make more 'me' which is 'romancigoth' I pretty much where my black and creme cameo necklace with everything and I LOVE lace but, any tips?
Good natured comments only please!!!! X(
P.S. I'm pretty good with a sewing machine. I have a 'Singer' I'm assuming that's good.
XxBloodyrosexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:33 PM   #2
Solumina

Singers are pretty reliable and depending on the particular model that you have they can do a lot of stuff. Personally I'm not one for overly altering stuff, simple tends to turn out better, especially if you aren't really used to DIYing. My advice is to get comfortable adding lace details to seams, hems, and necklines so that you get a feel for what you like, what you can easily do, and what looks good on you.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBloodyrosexX
I had quite a shallow view .
It's a shallow culture.
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:37 PM   #4
Minyaliel

Ummm... why would you want to limit yourself to such a narrow choice? Oh, and why search for labels? Wear whatever you like.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:37 AM   #5
Splintered

You're asking us to choose things that will help you, make you, "more you", which isn't actually you, but a set you associate with.

I'm confused.

If you want ideas for "Romantigoth", type in "Victorian Clothing" and go through the sites it lists. This will give you some idea of what you should be looking for. The best part is that you can weed out what you want to buy before you buy it, so you know the idea will look somewhat decent. Here's a relatively decent source: http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/la...n_clothing.php
Old 08-21-2008, 05:44 PM   #6
ThreeEyesOni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
It's a shallow culture.
It's a shallow species.
ThreeEyesOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:02 PM   #7
XxBloodyrosexX

ummmmm..... thanks... the link was really nice, thank you. Wow, it's amazing that half of the responses were to tell me off your own (and apparently my) shallowness. Thanks for the update.
I love lace and add it to all my clothes, I'll try the lacing vests that are on that site, they look very nice, and full-button-up backs.
XxBloodyrosexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:34 PM   #8
Solumina

Just remember that while full button-up backs look lovely you should avoid them on dresses and skirts as they are rather uncomfortable when you are sitting
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:59 PM   #9
Lolly PopMuzik

In before Jillian craps on this.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:58 PM   #10
Kristin

Some people on this forum can be turds, which is why I've only been back a few days after a couple months' absence.

I like the romantic goth look too, and I've found that I have a budding fondness for black leather, with lace and other feminizing touches. My 15yo likes steampunk, and since both of us like Victorian and pirate clothes, we both share some of our clothes and accessories.

I have wardrobe staples of black, white, or solid color tops, along with jeans or leggings with skirts layered over, and then I accessorize. When it's not too hot I wear corsets or net shirts. I DIY with jewelry and pirate clothes; I recently made a killer old-fashioned poofy-sleeved shirt, I love it. Next on my list are a few vest/corsets for my daughter and I.

Hopefully those ideas will help.
Kristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:33 PM   #11
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin
Some people on this forum can be turds, which is why I've only been back a few days after a couple months' absence.
Wow. That really came out of nowhere.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:00 AM   #12
Kristin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Wow. That really came out of nowhere.
I do that sometimes, and it surprises me too because I'm non-confrontational to a fault. I like you though GJ, or at least I don't think I dislike you. Not like I think you were holding your breath over my opinion of you or anything. LOL
Old 08-24-2008, 06:13 AM   #13
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin
And some people on this forum just go out of their way to be martyrs. You seem like one of these.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:17 PM   #14
Kristin

Boy, you sure have me pegged! *falls on the floor laughing*