Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
Saya

GOP Rep: Blacks better off under slavery

Quote:
GOP REP: BLACKS BETTER OFF UNDER SLAVERY.... Rep. Trent Franks (R) of Arizona has long been one of Congress's most embarrassing members. But this week, the right-wing lawmaker may have reached a new depth.

Franks was speaking with blogger Mike Stark about civility and the public discourse. Unprompted, the congressman started reflecting on the African-American community, and his belief that African Americans may have been better off under slavery than in a legal system that allows legal abortions.

"[i]n this country, we had slavery for God knows how long. And now we look back on it and we say 'How brave were they? What was the matter with them? You know, I can't believe, you know, four million slaves. This is incredible.' And we're right, we're right. We should look back on that with criticism. It is a crushing mark on America's soul.

"And yet today, half of all black children are aborted. Half of all black children are aborted. Far more of the African American community is being devastated by the policies of today than were being devastated by the policies of slavery."

Franks added that he can sometimes say things that are "intemperate," but added, "I don't want to hide from the truth."

Let's consider this the latest in a long line of setbacks for the Republican Party's outreach to minority voters.

As far as the substance of the claim is concerned, Franks significantly exaggerated the rate at which black women terminate their pregnancies. But substance aside, hearing a Republican lawmaker argue, out loud, on camera, in the 21st century, that today's policies are worse for African Americans than the policies of slavery is just mind-numbing.

If Franks's name seems familiar, he's the same right-wing lawmaker who recently described President Obama as an "enemy of humanity," who "acts un-American," and "doesn't want people to see" his birth certificate.

In October, relying on a strange book published by a fringe website, Franks also asked the House Sergeant at Arms to start looking for Muslim "spies" on congressional committees.

A spokesperson for the DCCC responded yesterday, "To compare the horrors and inhumane treatment of millions of African Americans during slavery as a better way of life for African Americans today is beyond repulsive. In 2010, during the second year of our first African American President, it is astonishing that a thought such as this would come to mind, let alone be shared."

I do wonder, though, what kind of leadership post Trent Franks would get if House Republicans reclaim the majority next year.
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/arc..._02/022619.php

Wow.

I don't even know where to start with the horrible racism and ignorance of slavery, so all I can think to say is...abortion was perfectly legal until the late 19th century in America, why do people assume its something new?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
Despanan

Once again the republicans are pulling out every dirty trick in the book to try and reclaim their power. It's really sickening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
Saya

I think I liked them better when they didn't try to act like they cared about minorities.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
Underwater Ophelia

I think his comment wasn't really thought out, but I also don't think it's racist. His point is that he feels living in slavery is better than being aborted. That's not for you or I to decide, since we've neither lived in slavery nor been aborted.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
Alan

Neither has he; so he can make a positive claim but we can't challenge it?
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:25 AM   #6
Despanan

Anyone remember when the leader of the Tea-Baggers said that we should bring back the voter aptitude tests? The same voter aptitude tests that were used to keep blacks from voting in the sixties?

...yeah. Racists do not go quietly.
Quote:
Old 03-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #7
PortraitOfSanity

I honestly can't find it within myself to justify the civil war these days. We should have just said "Ok, all the rednecks in the North get to go back South, we take your black people, and you guys can leave the Union".

Then waited 10 years for them to be in ruins, everyone starved to death, and we retake their land.

God I should have been alive then. Think of how better off we'd all be. We could have joined Canada while we were at it too.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
Saya

Or how not long ago conservatives was complaining about black welfare queens who were just having many children to get benefits and were soon going to overrun the white population?

And its silly to think that this guy didn't mean anything racist by it. The guy thinks Muslims are spying on us and Obama is hiding his birth certificate.

And you know, its for no one to say whether its better to have been a slave or never have been born at all, but its a bullshit stance to try and gain support for anti-choice legislation. The reason black women get more abortions is because they have more unwanted pregnancies due to lack of access to contraception, so why doesn't he advocate better education and access to contraception for them rather than stigmatize black women and patronize them by saying they're only having abortions because evil white Democrats wants to kill their babies? Its not about protecting black people, its about telling them what to do with their bodies.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #9
PortraitOfSanity

Well said.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
Old 03-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #10
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Neither has he; so he can make a positive claim but we can't challenge it?
I absolutely didn't say it couldn't be challenged, but nice try, Jillian.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:04 PM   #11
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Or how not long ago conservatives was complaining about black welfare queens who were just having many children to get benefits and were soon going to overrun the white population?

And its silly to think that this guy didn't mean anything racist by it. The guy thinks Muslims are spying on us and Obama is hiding his birth certificate.

And you know, its for no one to say whether its better to have been a slave or never have been born at all, but its a bullshit stance to try and gain support for anti-choice legislation. The reason black women get more abortions is because they have more unwanted pregnancies due to lack of access to contraception, so why doesn't he advocate better education and access to contraception for them rather than stigmatize black women and patronize them by saying they're only having abortions because evil white Democrats wants to kill their babies? Its not about protecting black people, its about telling them what to do with their bodies.
That's just not true. Seriously. Go to a fucking Planned Parenthood. They'll give you condoms or the pill FOR FREE.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:12 PM   #12
PortraitOfSanity

Actually, there's not enough access to that, either. On the west side of Chicago, the only easy way to get free condoms is to go to the needle exchange, and that pretty much labels you as a drug addict, obviously. More reputable organizations really stay out of the seedier neighborhoods.

-Mr. Filth
Old 03-01-2010, 01:00 PM   #13
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity View Post
Actually, there's not enough access to that, either. On the west side of Chicago, the only easy way to get free condoms is to go to the needle exchange, and that pretty much labels you as a drug addict, obviously. More reputable organizations really stay out of the seedier neighborhoods.
If that's true in other parts of the United States, ok, but I know there are several Planned Parenthoods in even the ghettoest areas in Philly.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #14
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia View Post
That's just not true. Seriously. Go to a fucking Planned Parenthood. They'll give you condoms or the pill FOR FREE.
Yeah, but you forget, Conservatives support abstinence only programs. Condoms and the pill are no-nos because they encourage permiscuity and sex out of wedlock, and if they had their way there would be no planned parenthood.

This is simply a measure to take the black vote from Obama. Nothing more.
Quote:
Old 03-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #15
Alan

Quote:
I absolutely didn't say it couldn't be challenged, but nice try, Jillian.
Tell me then how to interpret your claim that it is not up to us to decide on his statement because we're neither slaves nor fetii/fetodes.
real classy
Old 03-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #16
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Tell me then how to interpret your claim that it is not up to us to decide on his statement because we're neither slaves nor fetii/fetodes.
All I was saying is that it's not necessarily racist. I don't think he should claim one is better than the other, either.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #17
Alan

Can we call him fucking stupid for thinking that abortions are worse than slavery if we don't call him racist?
real classy
Old 03-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #18
Ben Lahnger

I wish the honorable (?) Rep. Franks could speak authoritatively on the subject because he DID have real experience with having been aborted.

o-0

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #19
Saya

Quote:
The problem with condoms is that when used perfectly, they are highly effective, but they require to be used perfectly each and every time you have sex. The pill requires to be taken the same time every day, and while effective when taken properly there is a lot of misinformation about this, especially in a country that touted abstinence only education until Obama became president (although I think they're still getting some funding) and Planned Parenthood gets a shitload of opposition for its pro-choice stance AND because they give out free contraception, its a lot more complicated than just moseying on down to PP to pick up free condoms, this article is a great read:

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/gpr/11/3/gpr110302.html

Of course the knee jerk reaction to paint black people as welfare queens or to say they are better off as slaves than getting abortions is easier to understand I guess.