Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
honeythorn

Miami police shoot a man, eating another man's face

Looks like the old Zombie apocalypse has arrived after all eh?

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/05/26...1-dead-1-hurt/

Got the link from a rather zombie obsessed friend on facebook.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Whoa! The poor victim will obviously have a painful disfigurement and blindness the rest of their life to remind them of this drug episode. The attacker lost all higher mental function and was operating on only the primitive brainstem, a true predator, and was killed like the wild animal he was. How tragic and bizzare and sadly preventable.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
I've seen a few things on this already, but really this could provide an interesting new advertising campaign for the war on LSD.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
ape descendant

What makes a naked man, eat another naked man's face? Well, aside from hunger.

Some sort of home spun hallucinogenic they call bath salts... oh my.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn View Post
Looks like the old Zombie apocalypse has arrived after all eh?

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/05/26...1-dead-1-hurt/

Got the link from a rather zombie obsessed friend on facebook.
That's really not funny. You should be ashamed for making jokes about that.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
Solumina

Bath salts isn't really a straight up hallucinogen like LSD, I don't know why the article describes it that way, but causes hallucinations much in the same way as PCP, not by causing stimulation of receptors but by inhibiting intraneural communication (like extreme sensory deprivation). There are a couple of different compounds that are referred to as bath salts but to my knowledge they all do that and at least one of them is also a pretty intense stimulant, which can lead to increased aggression and overheating. They were probably doing drugs together and that is why they were naked and then some small thing caused the one guy to completely lose his shit.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
Renatus

But from what I've heard, the toxicology report isn't even back yet, everyone is just guessing at which drug was used.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Old 05-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
Solumina

True but there really are only a few substances that are typically involved in a person continuing doing the crazy shit they are doing while being shot multiple times and even fewer that result in behavior as extreme as eating another person's face.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 05-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #9
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
True but there really are only a few substances that are typically involved in a person continuing doing the crazy shit they are doing while being shot multiple times and even fewer that result in behavior as extreme as eating another person's face.
Are you taking into account laced drugs?

Old 05-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #10
AshleyO

This seriously makes me very very sad.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:28 AM   #11
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
Are you taking into account laced drugs?
Yes, I mean it could have been like mdma laced with pcp or something but that would be a hell of a lot less common than bath salts
-Carbon Leaf
Old 05-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #12
Renatus

Quote:
Yes, I mean it could have been like mdma laced with pcp or something but that would be a hell of a lot less common than bath salts
Well this wasn't exactly a common news story, perhaps the rarity of the drug, matches the rarity of the reaction.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #13
Solumina

Extreme violent reactions to bath salts (especially violent crimes committed while nude) are getting to be rather common in certain regions, including Florida, though the stories may not be making their way to your area as few of them are interesting enough to go beyond local news. Eating someone's face isn't exactly common but instances of people mauling and biting other people while nude coupled with an apparent inability to understand or communicate while seeming to not register any pain are well documented.

I should also point out that it isn't like the guy was actively eating the other guy's face, he was attacking him with every available weapon including his teeth, there is nothing to show that he was chewing and swallowing what he bit off. There have also been people who said that the cops and medics were slow to assist the injured man due to fear of "OMG zombies!" but the truth is that they are frequently attacked by the people they are trying to help, and the risk is intensified that much more when they are on something like bath salts, so they have to be extremely careful when dealing with these kinds of things.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 05-30-2012, 10:15 AM   #14
Renatus

Quote:
Extreme violent reactions to bath salts (especially violent crimes committed while nude) are getting to be rather common in certain regions, including Florida, though the stories may not be making their way to your area as few of them are interesting enough to go beyond local news. Eating someone's face isn't exactly common but instances of people mauling and biting other people while nude coupled with an apparent inability to understand or communicate while seeming to not register any pain are well documented.

I should also point out that it isn't like the guy was actively eating the other guy's face, he was attacking him with every available weapon including his teeth, there is nothing to show that he was chewing and swallowing what he bit off. There have also been people who said that the cops and medics were slow to assist the injured man due to fear of "OMG zombies!" but the truth is that they are frequently attacked by the people they are trying to help, and the risk is intensified that much more when they are on something like bath salts, so they have to be extremely careful when dealing with these kinds of things.
From some of the sources I've seen, they said that when he turned his head to growl the officer saw him swallowing.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #15
Solumina

That actually would make sense even if that was the only bit that swallowed, it is a natural reaction to clear the mouth before making any vocalizations and swallowing is my far the most common way for a person to clear their mouth. The only alternative would be to spit out whatever is in their mouth and spitting is a learned behavior not an instinctive one so that would have actually been weirder.

Not only that but if there is liquid in your mouth, including someone's blood, then you would instinctively swallow that as well even if it isn't something that you are actively consuming.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 05-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #16
Versus

Ren; Are you just being argumentative?

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #17
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
Ren; Are you just being argumentative?
No no of course not I completely disagree with that concept, I would never argue with anyone, and I challenge you to prove me otherwise

Actually I'd just really like the toxicology report as opposed to all these differing arguments I've heard about, leaving me with conflicting information. So instead I'm just trying to pry open any possibilities that might be out there, not really settling on any of them just adding them to a list of what it might be. Given my lack of direct experience with drugs I have no basis for settling.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #18
Haejin

Why on gods fucking green earth would anyone take chances on a drug like this? It falls into the same category as crocodile does.... clown shoes. It makes me genuinely angry, sad, and more depressed about humankind than I ever was.
Haejin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #19
Versus

I get excited whenever I see Jin post because I think there might be clown shoes.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #20
Haejin

For you, man.
Haejin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:47 AM   #21
Versus

Aww. You're a sweetie.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #22
ape descendant

Came for the face eating, stayed for the clown shoes.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #23
Renatus

The Tox report is finally in! Unfortunately the news is not good, as the only drug he tested positive for, was Pot. So what now?.... Does this mean that pot is bad, or was the pot laced with something? If it was laced with something would that something specifically show up on the tox report or would it just fall under a general category of pot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSbG6...eature=g-all-u

All in all, in spite of saying I would keep an open mind as to the possibilities, I'm still quite surprised.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #24
Saya

The thing is is that if he was on something uncommon and they didn't test for it, they wouldn't know.

http://www.bizjournals.com/southflor...ting-mans.html

Some people get high off of really weird things and it takes a long time to figure out. Like inhaling hair spray was a thing here at one time.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #25
Renatus

So pretty much we know even less about what he was on than we did before? (well other than now knowing what he wasn't on)

Perhaps it's a good thing I'm finally downloading and watching the x files from start to finish(currently on season 4), so I'm more experienced with and prepared to handle inconclusive endings.