Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
Vigormortis

Greetings.

Hello you beautiful motherfuckers!
Here is my survey, as ordered.

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)
I work during the day as an on-call technician installing, networking and repairing office equipment, and at night as a line cook at a local restaurant. During my precious little free time, I enjoy reading, movies, music, (especially live) drinking and video games.

2. Where are you from?
I have lived all over, I've spent the most time in Columbus Ohio, South Alabama, Orlando and Tampa Florida. I currently reside along the Gulf Coast.

3. Who is your favorite author?
If I had to pick one I'd say J.R.R. Tolkien but I'd like to add Poppy Z Brite, J.K. Rowling, R.A. Salvatore, Anne Rice, Terry Goodkind, and Jhonen Vasquez.

4. What are your favorite films?
The teen apocalypse trilogy by Greg Araki, Lock, Stock and Two smoking Barrels, Donnie Darko, The Boondock Saints, The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Rocky Horror Picture Show (in theatre! My Time Warp-Fu is strong!)

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
I've been engaged twice but unable to seal the deal because I am just not marriage material. I doubt it'll ever happen. If it did, how about Mannequin by Cradle of Filth?

6. At your funeral?
The Immigration Song by Led Zeppelin, only because my best friend promised to perform it live and impromptu at my funeral service. I'll come back to haunt him should he fail.

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?
I'd love to go out in a car crash at tremendous speed, or get trampled in a mosh pit. Spontaneous heart attack at orgasm wouldn't be bad either, as long as I could see the terrified look on my lover's face right before it all goes black.

8. What kind of casket would you want?
I could really care less.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
Jeans, Band Shirt, Docs, Eyeliner.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
I miss being so free, I guess.

11. What's your favorite band?
Cradle of Filth, but almost any sort of Metal/Industrial/Goth/Electronic/Combination thereof will do.

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?
I have a tech school degree in computer science, and I've taken a load of random classes at community colleges all over.

13. Why did you join?
I'm back in Alabama, and there are very few interesting people here. I miss south Florida. I thought I might find some decent conversation here.

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?
Male.
Vigormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
Vigormortis

All over as in, all over the US. Sorry, I read that again and noticed that it made me look like an uncultured fuck.

To be clear, I am an uncultured fuck.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:42 AM   #3
isobel black

Meh.

I like Araki, but I think The Doom Generation is far superior to everything else of his I've seen. I ordered Totally Fucked Up assuming that it would be similar, boy was I dissapointed. Nowhere wasn't even out then, but that turned out to be a bit of a let down as well, even though it was a proper movie.

Welcome, anyway...
isobel black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:14 AM   #4
PrInCeSs 0f G0tH

only J.K Rowling's books are amazing but the film harry potter is bullshit i prefer to read the book than watch a whole lenghty film :S
PrInCeSs 0f G0tH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:43 AM   #5
Opteron_Man

From the sounds of it, you seem like an interesting person.

Welcome to gnet!
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:44 AM   #6
Vigormortis

Quote:
Originally Posted by isobel black View Post
Meh.

I like Araki, but I think The Doom Generation is far superior to everything else of his I've seen. I ordered Totally Fucked Up assuming that it would be similar, boy was I dissapointed. Nowhere wasn't even out then, but that turned out to be a bit of a let down as well, even though it was a proper movie.

Welcome, anyway...
Thanks, and did you see The Living End? That's my favorite Araki film, with Doom Generation a close second. To be fair, I even liked Splendor, and that was his "sell out" film.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:52 AM   #7
Vigormortis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opteron_Man View Post
From the sounds of it, you seem like an interesting person.

Welcome to gnet!
Thank you!
Old 04-20-2009, 07:17 AM   #8
isobel black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigormortis View Post
Thanks, and did you see The Living End? That's my favorite Araki film, with Doom Generation a close second. To be fair, I even liked Splendor, and that was his "sell out" film.
Nah, never heard of it actually. I sort of lost interest after Nowhere, I did look into Splendor, but the story and IMDB rating didn't appeal to me so I didn't bother.

EDIT: lol, turns out it has a Wax Trax soundtrack, that certainly makes it more interesting
isobel black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:44 PM   #9
Mr E Nigma

An odd influx of R. A. Salvatore while I was away... hmm...
Old 04-22-2009, 07:39 AM   #10
Vigormortis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr E Nigma View Post
An odd influx of R. A. Salvatore while I was away... hmm...
Surely a sign of the coming Apocalypse. Seriously though, <3 him. To be fair, his stories typically feature elves and swords, it really doesn't take much more to interest me.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:28 AM   #11
Mr E Nigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigormortis View Post
Surely a sign of the coming Apocalypse. Seriously though, <3 him. To be fair, his stories typically feature elves and swords, it really doesn't take much more to interest me.
I'm going to copy and paste the same reply I had to another fan of Salvatore...

"R.A. Salvatore" (While I'm quite a frequent Dungeons and Dragons player and I love Jarlaxle, Salvatore is one of the most boringly tedious authors I've ever read work by. To explain that, whenever I read something by him I feel like while he was writing those books he didn't enjoy it much and it probably seemed like tedious work. (Granted coming from me, that's obviously my opinion, i just feel like he writes so boringly. He describes things well, he has good character development... but it's all so boring. (I read the entire Icewind Dale Trilogy and the Dark Elf Trilogy.) Although for some odd reason I guess I have to give him credit for making me want to continue reading his work. Although I think part of it is me wondering how his writing progressed over the years.

I'm curious, do you like his stories centered around Drizzt or do you just like him in general as an author?
Old 04-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #12
Vigormortis

Quote:
I'm curious, do you like his stories centered around Drizzt or do you just like him in general as an author?
I almost completely agree with the previous post, the work does get pretty boring sometimes especially as you get further into his books. I stick through it because I'm honestly concerned for what happens to his characters, even his villains. That's something few authors have been able to do for me.
I love Homeland and it's one of the best fantasy books I've ever read. The world he created below the surface was amazing. While the underdark and the drow existed before his writing, no one had come anywhere close to giving it the life and detail that he provided.
I have read one of his Star Wars novels, another generic fantasy that he wrote outside of the DND universe, and the entire Cleric Quintet. The non-dnd works were average at the best of times, but I thoroughly enjoyed the quintet, though not as much as the Drizzt series.
If he wrote more novels set in the forgotten realms but revolving around another character, I'd read them for sure, so I guess I'm a Salvatore fan, not just a Drizzt fan. I'm also a huge nerd, I play DnD weekly, and I love the forgotten realms setting, so there's a few other things that keep me attatched.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:28 PM   #13
Mr E Nigma

Our group is about to delve into 4th edition ourselves, and oddly enough we're hopefully finishing up the Demon Web in the underdark hehe
Old 04-23-2009, 05:39 PM   #14
the-nihilist

Cast aside your false gods and submit to the will of Cyric! Praise be to the Dark Sun!
the-nihilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:42 PM   #15
Agnelis

Hey! haven't got to read your post yet.. but i believe we have lots of things in common... music, interrest, books, work... =) I still think i'm a one of a kind specimen, but it's fun to see some people actually share some of my interrests and tastes o.O
Agnelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:53 PM   #16
Vigormortis

Quote:
Our group is about to delve into 4th edition ourselves, and oddly enough we're hopefully finishing up the Demon Web in the underdark hehe
We just started 4e as well. We've had four sessions so far, and I've been having a good time.