Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 08-23-2010, 01:27 PM   #101
OnyxBat

Whats a troll?
Old 08-23-2010, 01:53 PM   #102
Ben Lahnger

I could say something snappy like "look in a mirror" or "read your own posts" ... but, against my better judgment, I am posting this link:

Trolls - A Guide

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:02 PM   #103
OnyxBat

Gee thanks.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:02 PM   #104
ape descendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj_goku View Post
What's the point...?
I need more to go on to give you a decent answer, little guy.... are you asking why humans exist? Are you asking why the earth exists with all its nifty life forms?

When you're asking, "what's the point?", to what are you referring? What is the point of what?

With a little better idea of what you're asking about, I'd be more than happy to give you my answer, little one.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:09 PM   #105
Admiral_Happypants

We do not existence for to we are existence of blank finkle-snecks. Once in time it boil for wombat juice, with funy feelers of plasmatic toad dribble.
Admiral_Happypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:35 PM   #106
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
In light of your use of that quote, what do you make of the following statement by Nietzsche?

“I mistrust all systematizers and I avoid them. The will to a system is a lack of integrity.”
:RAISES HAND: Oooh! I know! I know! :waves:

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:11 PM   #107
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicatedxjin View Post
As the great Friedrich Nietzsche said.... "There are no facts, only interpretations."
I'm going to cut right to the chase and ask you WHY it's so god damned important to you to give credence to your silly delusions.

Quoting philosophers wont make your fantasies any more real. In fact, name dropping great thinkers to augment your argument isn't really going to help when your argument is total bullshit.

We've already figured out what your motivation is. You like to believe in fluffy bullshit because it makes you feel good. But now you try in vain to grasp at anything that may just give your ideas some kind of relevance. Since your ideas have relevance only to you, they're NOT relevant. You're just clinging to your imagination because you lack the ability to appreciate what's actually real.

Do you want to know why I rail against pagans and new agers so harshly? It's because I actually CARE to some degree that there are people out there who need a fucking spiritual security blanket to make things better for them. That you spend so much time trying to make things cosmically more important than they need to be. You jokers romanticize shit because you either CAN'T handle reality for what it is or you lack the ability to appreciate what it is.

An example: Love is actually a series of chemical reactions in your brain and body to put you in an elevated state. But you FUCKS can't enjoy that wonderful feeling if we can quantify it. No. It has to be BEYOND our reach. It has to be DIVINE. In a sense, you elevate things like this and in doing so, you actually divorce yourself from the experience altogether. You take a beautiful thing like love and you try to make it into something that it isn't, lost in your delusions and miss the point that in your brief and pointless existence, you actually managed to obtain the experience of knowing what that is.

...Fuck. Kill yourself and go meet your maker. You're so god damned disappointing.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:58 PM   #108
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxBat View Post
Well that's the problem about backing up rencarnation, people don't believe it when someone say that they have seen a glimpse of there past life. So yeah I know that my opinion seems a bit off but I'm working on it. I myself had some sign of my other life.
Believe whatever you want to believe because that's what everyone else does.

There are rational arguments for everything (most of the time, and if you tweek your perspective).

And yeah I haven't read all the posts in this thread because I don't have time to spin my wheels on the internet (unless I'm procrastinating then I find stupid excuses).

Us trolls have to stick together. (and being a troll is a perspective thing as well)

AD - love your new avi.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:15 PM   #109
Blackheart

This is the first thread I've read in it's entirety, I must say it's quite telling of some of the personalities who post here.

There is nothing to back this up but I have often wondered if our universe is the cosmic equivalent of an ant farm on some kid's dresser, as in are there universes contained within others?
This is just as plausible of a concept as parallel universes in a side by side setting.

As to peoples beliefs,
"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible."
I have no idea who this quote is from, I think I heard it while watching Criminal Minds the other night, but it just seems to fit in here so well.

Aside from my introduction this has been my first post, I should probably lurk for a while before posting too much more to avoid getting flamed.
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:42 AM   #110
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite View Post
An example: Love is actually a series of chemical reactions in your brain and body to put you in an elevated state. But you FUCKS can't enjoy that wonderful feeling if we can quantify it. No. It has to be BEYOND our reach. It has to be DIVINE. In a sense, you elevate things like this and in doing so, you actually divorce yourself from the experience altogether. You take a beautiful thing like love and you try to make it into something that it isn't, lost in your delusions and miss the point that in your brief and pointless existence, you actually managed to obtain the experience of knowing what that is.

...Fuck. Kill yourself and go meet your maker. You're so god damned disappointing.
That was actually quite Nietzschean haha!

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:54 AM   #111
Cruel Intentions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
No, I never did Wicca. Even when I was all into magick I knew that Wicca was a load of bullshit.
I did Talasmin Magick and read about Aleister Crowley and the Golden Dawn, and did fire rituals and the like to "bind elementals to my will" I read a little about Thelema too (but never really got into it).
That kind of crap.
To be fair, even most people who are into that stuff seriously still think that Crowley and the like are full of shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscus View Post
If someone makes a claim about something like reincarnation but can't show me any evidence to back it up, then I have every reason to assume that they're mistaken or deluded. If I personally have some sort of sensory experience that I can't demonstrate to anyone else, then I have to assume that I'm hallucinating.

If we're interested about distilling the truth about anything, then "agreeing to disagree" doesn't cut it.
People are allowed to be wrong you know, and have different opinions on what the truth is. You can tell them that you disagree and give your reasons but a) you don't need to scream at them from across the room about how immature/stupid/batshit crazy you believe them to be - that just results in them instantly becoming defensive (see onyx as a point and case) and shutting out anything else you might want to say and b)They don't have to listen to your reasoning anyway just as you don't have to listen to theirs. They may be wrong, but seriously what can you actually do about it? If they're not hurting anyone then what's the problem? If they are... well those people tend to get locked up.

Also, experience - however flawed or even untrue it may be in our memory is still compelling proof for the individual who experienced it. I'm skeptical of things like reincarnation myself but if someone "remembers" something signifcant that they allegedly have no way of knowing then how does it look them? It looks like a dream or hallucination or similar to us but it's real enough for them. I don't believe them - take onyx again as an example - but am I flaming them for it?

No one on this board has the right to tell anyone else what they should or shouldn't believe. Disagree by all means, but seriously, is it affecting your day-to-day life that significantly (and I think you need to get out more if it is) that you simply have to come wading in here ranting and raving and telling them how wrong they are?

Let them have their fun, and if they can reconcile their outlandish beliefs with real life and become a productive member of society, what's the problem? Otherwise they'll grow out of it, like countless others before them. Are either of these results so terrifying that they demand such hostile resistance?
Cruel Intentions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:01 AM   #112
vindicatedxjin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite View Post
I'm going to cut right to the chase and ask you WHY it's so god damned important to you to give credence to your silly delusions.

Quoting philosophers wont make your fantasies any more real. In fact, name dropping great thinkers to augment your argument isn't really going to help when your argument is total bullshit.

We've already figured out what your motivation is. You like to believe in fluffy bullshit because it makes you feel good. But now you try in vain to grasp at anything that may just give your ideas some kind of relevance. Since your ideas have relevance only to you, they're NOT relevant. You're just clinging to your imagination because you lack the ability to appreciate what's actually real.

Do you want to know why I rail against pagans and new agers so harshly? It's because I actually CARE to some degree that there are people out there who need a fucking spiritual security blanket to make things better for them. That you spend so much time trying to make things cosmically more important than they need to be. You jokers romanticize shit because you either CAN'T handle reality for what it is or you lack the ability to appreciate what it is.

I've already mentioned on this forum that I don't believe in a creator anymore. I don't believe in anything. I just don't think that you or anyone else should waste your precious time when in the end no one is EVER going to AGREE.

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:13 AM   #113
OnyxBat

Very well said Cruel, but I don't think there's any answer to this post there is just opinions and beliefs. Also some of the members just assume that most of the younger members don't know anything so instead they just rant on how wrong they are.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:23 AM   #114
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicatedxjin View Post
As the great Friedrich Nietzsche said.... "There are no facts, only interpretations."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
In light of your use of that quote, what do you make of the following statement by Nietzsche?

“I mistrust all systematizers and I avoid them. The will to a system is a lack of integrity.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain View Post
:RAISES HAND: Oooh! I know! I know! :waves:
H.P., you may be one of the few people here to appreciate this, but when I first saw your response I flashed on the Arnold Horshack character from Welcome Back, Kotter.

I figure you and quite a few others here would know the relevance of that quote (although as I posted it I thought it actually had more bearing on another thread Alan started recently.)

The reason I posted it was to point out to vindicatedxjin that she was posting a quote she didn't fully understand and that it was foolhardy of her to use that quote in support of her view.

"That was ver-ry impressive, Mister Kotter-r-r!"

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 08-24-2010, 08:13 AM   #115
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
This is the first thread I've read in it's entirety, I must say it's quite telling of some of the personalities who post here.

There is nothing to back this up but I have often wondered if our universe is the cosmic equivalent of an ant farm on some kid's dresser, as in are there universes contained within others?
This is just as plausible of a concept as parallel universes in a side by side setting.

As to peoples beliefs,
"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible."
I have no idea who this quote is from, I think I heard it while watching Criminal Minds the other night, but it just seems to fit in here so well.

Aside from my introduction this has been my first post, I should probably lurk for a while before posting too much more to avoid getting flamed.
Goddamn, has anyone else noticed that 50% of any discussion on gnet is composed of attempts to reconcile the well-reasoned position of some members with the groundless hocus pocus of other members by way of a tenuously relevant, if not altogether stupid, platitude?
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:39 AM   #116
Ben Lahnger

Yes. And that 50% (which used to be more like 25% when a bunch of surly elders culled the herd more often, before the last major purge) is what makes reading through threads here such a slog these days.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 08-24-2010, 09:09 AM   #117
Saya

Guys, I really do think that jellyfish are our overlords and masters, and pull the strings on this marionette we call our society. I ask you to respect this though, everybody has their own beliefs that should never ever be criticized.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:28 AM   #118
OnyxBat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post
Believe whatever you want to believe because that's what everyone else does.

There are rational arguments for everything (most of the time, and if you tweek your perspective).

And yeah I haven't read all the posts in this thread because I don't have time to spin my wheels on the internet (unless I'm procrastinating then I find stupid excuses).

Us trolls have to stick together. (and being a troll is a perspective thing as well)

AD - love your new avi.
Thank you Fruitbat!
Old 08-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #119
ape descendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post

AD - love your new avi.
Thank you!! *blushes insanely*

... and hey, goku.. I'm still waiting for you to expand upon your question so that I may know better which question I am answering.

Be Kind
Old 08-24-2010, 09:43 AM   #120
*Twitch

We exist because we do. And we don't get to exist for very long. That's it, that's all. Cosmically, life, here or anywhere, mean sweet fuck all. But you've got one anyway, so enjoy that motherfucker.
*Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:58 AM   #121
ape descendant

Ok, I guess I'm not going to sit around and wait for goku to clarify his question, I'm sure that his clarification would not serve its purpose anyway.

Life exists to reproduce itself, to survive long enough to reproduce. From what I understand, humans are the only ones that really look for more purpose than just that, which is why it is so important to us to find some sort of purpose for ourselves.

Some believe that there is some sort of supernatural force or being that lends purpose to the universe and to life, but I don't think that this is the case. I have never seen any evidence that satisfies me, that such force or beings exist, so it would be rather foolish to base my chosen purpose on them.

I do, however, know as well as one may know anything that the natural universe exists, and from what I have learned about the forming of it, and from the rise and development of life on earth, I see that we are free to choose our purpose, as human beings.

As human beings we have the mental capacity to ask questions, to learn and to add to the knowledge we have through research and testing. We are sentient and capable of knowing the universe for what it truly is, and I think that is a beautiful and noble purpose for mankind to choose for itself.

..we are a way for the cosmos to know itself.
-Carl Sagan

A glorious dawn awaits...

Be Kind
Old 08-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #122
viscus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel Intentions View Post
People are allowed to be wrong you know, and have different opinions on what the truth is. You can tell them that you disagree and give your reasons but a) you don't need to scream at them from across the room about how immature/stupid/batshit crazy you believe them to be - that just results in them instantly becoming defensive (see onyx as a point and case) and shutting out anything else you might want to say and b)They don't have to listen to your reasoning anyway just as you don't have to listen to theirs. They may be wrong, but seriously what can you actually do about it? If they're not hurting anyone then what's the problem? If they are... well those people tend to get locked up.

Also, experience - however flawed or even untrue it may be in our memory is still compelling proof for the individual who experienced it. I'm skeptical of things like reincarnation myself but if someone "remembers" something signifcant that they allegedly have no way of knowing then how does it look them? It looks like a dream or hallucination or similar to us but it's real enough for them. I don't believe them - take onyx again as an example - but am I flaming them for it?

No one on this board has the right to tell anyone else what they should or shouldn't believe. Disagree by all means, but seriously, is it affecting your day-to-day life that significantly (and I think you need to get out more if it is) that you simply have to come wading in here ranting and raving and telling them how wrong they are?

Let them have their fun, and if they can reconcile their outlandish beliefs with real life and become a productive member of society, what's the problem? Otherwise they'll grow out of it, like countless others before them. Are either of these results so terrifying that they demand such hostile resistance?
I for one wasn't being overtly hostile. But as a matter of personal policy I hold people to their opinions, as benign as they may be. I can't force anyone to change their beliefs, but I will tell them that they're wrong and why they're wrong.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #123
*Twitch

Ape Descendant: FUCK YEAH SYMPHONY OF SCIENCE!!! A Glorious Dawn is one of my dreamy stoner songs XD
*Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:22 AM   #124
viscus

Quote:
Very well said Cruel, but I don't think there's any answer to this post there is just opinions and beliefs.
A well-reasoned opinion should count as an answer.

Quote:
Also some of the members just assume that most of the younger members don't know anything so instead they just rant on how wrong they are.
Nothing is assumed, said younger members make their ignorance quite apparent.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #125
gothicusmaximus

Don't know much about Crowley
Don't know much about Nietzsche
Don't know many philosophy majors
Don't know many psychic new-agers

But I do know that I Existance
And I know if you Existance too
What a wonderful world this would be