Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

View Poll Results: Where does your inspiration come from?
Movies 14 35.00%
Other books 19 47.50%
Food/Wine 7 17.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2004, 12:01 PM   #26
WolfMoon

Damn Right, can you dig it?

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 04:48 PM   #27
Takhisis

Heh... the ideas find me, pretty much randomly. Kind of the universe going "Ooh hey! Lookit that! Cool!" and smacking me upside the back of the head. Usually when that happens I tend to sit down and write in one long run until I finish.

Lately though I've had bad problems with sleep deprivation and concentration. Which means I'll get a great idea, jot it down, go to write and my brain deflates like a stabbed souffle. So I've currently got about 8 story ideas and a book or three all kicking angrily at the inside of my skull, and no ability to get them out.

Makes me want to break things. :cry:
Takhisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 05:26 PM   #28
Abandoned

My ispritation.

Usually i get my inspirtation from movies or from just watching people.. like sitting back and watching the world pass me by. That's what gets me thinking about what other people are thinking and doing in their lives.. which usually makes me want to write. I usually write things relating to death anyways.. so i dunno. Just thought i might add in my thoughts.
Stay Safe.
Abandoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 06:21 PM   #29
Panther

Location: The middle of nowhere, on the outskirts of the boonies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takhisis
Lately though I've had bad problems with sleep deprivation and concentration. Which means I'll get a great idea, jot it down, go to write and my brain deflates like a stabbed souffle. So I've currently got about 8 story ideas and a book or three all kicking angrily at the inside of my skull, and no ability to get them out.

Makes me want to break things. :cry:
Ug. that's the worst. I've got two lesbian who are mad at me because I won't finish theirstory, and two unnade lovers who are bugging me to redo their story. And an entire town of magical folk griping about my editor reaidng the stor before I've finsihed it.

And sleep deprivation makes me stare at paper like I've forgotten what to use it for.
Will we stroll dreaming of the lost America of love
past blue automobiles in driveways, home to our silent
cottage?
-Allen Ginsberg, A Supermarket in California
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 09:28 PM   #30
WolfMoon

A good painting.

What was Mona Lisa smiling at?Was she smiling or smirking?

Something along those lines.

Sometimes songs inspire pictures.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 08:08 PM   #31
comatoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
A good painting.

What was Mona Lisa smiling at?Was she smiling or smirking?

Something along those lines.

Sometimes songs inspire pictures.
She was smirking because DaVinci painted without pants on. :twisted: AND he had just shown her how useful a tongue could be :twisted:

anyway.
comatoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 10:38 PM   #32
Monsosin

Good fun

:twisted: Inspiration to write comes to me from life around me, be it good or foul. I let it out in poetry or short stories, some times in random nonsence. Some times I can't think and I do what I see on the evil television and run full speed, head first, directly into a wall. Maybe thats why I seem to be deemed a newbie still, even thought I just chose not to talk much, except on a personal leavel. It is affecting my spelling though. As you all can see.

"live a happy life, deep down under the worlds crust. You can die if you like"
Monsosin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 02:16 PM   #33
0oTweeko0

How I get inspiration

I write lots of poetry. I get my inspiration from my life. I have written about my rebellion and my inner crucification by society and to my inner resurrection and how I have finally separated from the hypocrisy and lies of this world and it's society. You can always get inspiration from your life it all depends on how you look at the events.
Anyone can email me from a sample of my poetry if you feel intrigued.

-----Tweek
donaldwayneblack@sbcglobal.net
0oTweeko0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 06:01 AM   #34
Alain

Hmm... sometimes I'm lucky enough for a plotbunny to jump me. Otherwise, I start by random writing. I ask my friends to set a challenge like "1000 words, must involve some sort of cheese and a funeral."
But I suppose you have to find your own muse.
I'm quite convinced now that mine lives in the basement of a large library I have become friends with.
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 10:17 AM   #35
OnixxFilth

A lot of the time, I get inspiration from other books. I've been writing a series of short stories (which are all hand-written and I'm too f***ing lazy to type up) about a clan of vampires living in Florida. I've gotten my idea of what vampires are and how they do different things from an amalgam of Poppy Z. Brite, Anne Rice, and various other authors.
OnixxFilth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 10:17 AM   #36
OnixxFilth

A lot of the time, I get inspiration from other books. I've been writing a series of short stories (which are all hand-written and I'm too f***ing lazy to type up) about a clan of vampires living in Florida. I've gotten my idea of what vampires are and how they do different things from an amalgam of Poppy Z. Brite, Anne Rice, and various other authors.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:40 PM   #37
2hammeron3

Alot of the times i cant just choose to write,if i do it turnsa out pretty bad.I usually just sit in my room and read for a couple of hours, then debate trivial topics with my few remaining freinds while drinking large amounts of beer. That usually puts me in the writing mood,and half of it isnt bad.
2hammeron3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:09 PM   #38
winged_dreams

I get inspired sometimes but I usually wind up writing poems when that happens. When I write stories it's not because I get inspired. I write stories that I would enjoy reading and therefore I enjoy writing them. Sometimes I do get inspired to do certain things in my stories but usually I'm not inspired to write. I write because I love to write.

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:32 PM   #39
spoonjigglesatan

i just smoke whatever is closest to my hand at the moment. usually it turns out pretty awful. ah well, live and learn. then write about it.

p.s. did you know that hunter s. thompson injected a entire syringe full of ether directly into his stomach on the set of fear and loathing in las vegas? now that's a great way to get inspired!
spoonjigglesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:49 AM   #40
OnixxFilth

Once I wrote a whole series of stories which I got the inspiration for from a daydream. For some reason, this image of a young man sinking in quicksand came into my head, and I started asking myself,"Who is he? Why is he in the quicksand?" and voila, The Legend of Jan Hudson was born!
Old 02-22-2005, 07:19 PM   #41
ShaydWolf

I usually get inspired by things that happen in my life...but anytime I watch the movie "Heavenly Creatures", for some reason, I write a whole lot when it's over...there is so much going on in that movie that sparks all sorts of weirdness and inspiration...
ShaydWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 11:10 PM   #42
drgnlvr

I get inspiration from just about anything. Movies, other books, poetry, songs....strong emotions.

I actually have WIP that's inspired by real events in my life, and dealing with a major betrayal from someone I thought was my best friend. :twisted:
drgnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:53 AM   #43
tekajo

i have no clue as to go about finding that elusive inspiration.
i can hear a song, see a painting, watch a movie, or caress a face a million times and nothing ever comes...but then, on an uneventful day, the words explode within by the slightest note of a song, a mere glimpse of the colours of a simple painting, or the fading scent of...her...

i cannot find inspiration. it just happens when it wants to.

-ViN
tekajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 08:09 AM   #44
Panther

Location: The middle of nowhere, on the outskirts of the boonies.
Inspiration comes differntely to everyone.

I couldn't be inspired byt he manifestation of the entire pantheon of an old time religion manifesting right in front of me if I've had a bad day. Especially if I'm at work.

But if it's bene a pretty calm day, Semisonic's 'Feeling Strangly Fine' album has given birth to a few worthwhile ideas that never got done.

But mainly what I write is what's going on in my life, even if it's a metaphor.

So I guess the bes tinspiration I have is life itself, with its up downs, and all the little things in between.
Will we stroll dreaming of the lost America of love
past blue automobiles in driveways, home to our silent
cottage?
-Allen Ginsberg, A Supermarket in California
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 07:10 PM   #45
Solumina

I don’t know if the night sky inspires me, it seems to help the words, but not necessarily the ideas, flow. Just about anything can start a story, my problem is finishing. Most of the time I get 4 or 5 chapters done and then I run out of time and have to do something else and for some reason I can never really get back to that story. As it is I have about 14 unfinished stories. I wish I knew of a way for me to get a whole story line out but when I’m inspired everything down to the last little detail just flows out.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:22 AM   #46
illuminatti

the wierd thing about inspiration to write is that it doesn't come when you want it to. And if u manage to get inspired just by wanting to be inspired, then i don't think it will be genuine. I, personaly, can wake up in the middle of the night with the feeling that i need to write something down. I don't even know what I am going to write until i get a piece of paper and begin. Usualy my mind goes absolutely blank to other things until i finish. It's as if i am not the one writing at all.
Sometimes my inspiration comes from depression. After i dumped my first boyfriend, I sat down in a cafe, ordered a coffee and began to write a story on the napkin that was on the table at the time. That was one of the wierdest storeis i have ever writen.
Anyway, you already guessed that i cannot answer your question. I simply have no clue. Inspiration is different for everyone, i suppose.
illuminatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 03:48 AM   #47
Giga

My inspiration doesn't come from anywhere... I mean, it probably comes from my subconciousness.

One moment I don't have anything, the next moment I see something, a flicker of an idea, and in the next moment I have it all. It happens while driving, walking my dog, sitting in faculty, studying, kissing with my girlfriend etc.

W3rd.
Giga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 10:25 AM   #48
SuicideJade

:o Giga!

you've been missing longer than me...
welcome back stranger
Old 03-24-2005, 03:47 PM   #49
Giga

Stranger? Awwwwwww... c'mon :oops:
Giga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 08:27 PM   #50
GothHyena

I read one time that the best way to find inspiration is to write what it is that you're looking to read.
GothHyena is offline   Reply With Quote