Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:43 AM   #3926
gothicusmaximus

Dancing is the worst activity. Why is this part of civilization at all?
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:44 AM   #3927
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus View Post
Dancing is the worst activity. Why is this part of civilization at all?
Truth. Then when I tell people that I'm not partaking in their lascivious booty-shaking shitfests not because I am a bad dancer or frigid but because I genuinely derive no enjoyment from it, they look at me like I stared them in the eye and told them I want to **** their parents.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:50 AM   #3928
Apathy's_Child

It's best to avoid places where such activities occur. They tend, by their very nature, to be peopled by morons with vacant stares who release inexplicable whooping noises for reason every few minutes whilst undertaking aforementioned activities.

The whooping both embarrasses and frightens me.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:01 AM   #3929
JCC

I sometimes wish that I had the desire to dance, it looks like fun if you actually enjoy doing it and it beats standing around like an ass.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:06 AM   #3930
MissCheyenne

You know what really fucks me off?Deliberate rudeness. If you are too busy to talk to me or hell, just plain don't want to, don't ignore my text or call, just politely tell me you're busy, I'll leave you be. Don't just ignore me, that's rude and there is no call for rudeness.
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:06 AM   #3931
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
I sometimes wish that I had the desire to dance, it looks like fun if you actually enjoy doing it and it beats standing around like an ass.
Eh, anywhere there's nothing to do but dance or stand around like an ass isn't somewhere I want to spend my free time.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #3932
Deadmanwalking_05

I just picked up my 1911-A1 copy,brought it home,and just finished putting a few rounds of ammo through it,tomorrow is going to be fun.

I did limp wrist it a few times which caused it to jam,but a bit more polish on my technique (My first 1911,so it's going to take a bit to unlearn some of the stuff I got by with using an S&W K-frame)

it hits point of impact point of aim with the standard G.I. Hardball loads (230Grain full metal jacket for those that don't know firearms lingo)

Things can't get any better at this point (Firearms wise at least).

9x29mmR : The Choice Of Millions for the last 100-107 years.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #3933
Nocturnal Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
What movie did you see?
The movie was The Last Airbender.

It was entertaining, don't get me wrong. But I'm stuck in analyzing every film I see since it used to be my livelihood. Good concept with a few plot holes, but M. Night gave himself a starring role, which rubs me the wrong way. Even though he's a nice guy (I interviewed him years ago), all I have to say about that is... ego much?
Nocturnal Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #3934
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal Logic View Post
The movie was The Last Airbender.
This film truly was an achievement. Indeed, M. Night possesses a discipline unmatched by any contemporary writer, for each line of his script has been painstakingly stripped of any drama-- any evidence of craft-- such that all his characters speak SOLELY in expository speeches. Where a lesser artist might use exposition to contextualize dialogue of actual consequence, Shyamalan instead uses it instead to contextualize more exposition, and thus he builds a glimmering monolith of banality that, in its magnificence, might dwarf the Pyramids of Egypt or the Library of Alexandria. Here are some of my favorite lines:

"Is there any really spiritual place? Where I can meditate?"
"There is a very spiritual place. The city was built around this place."

"EARTHBENDERS! YOU ARE A PROUD PEOPLE. THERE IS DIRT AND EARTH ALL AROUND YOU. WHY DON'T YOU FIGHT?"

"We have to show them that we believe in our beliefs as much as they believe in theirs."

"I know that place! My father told me about it! It's ruled by a princess because her father died!"

"You there, boy. You seem like a smart boy. Tell me all about the banished prince of the Fire Nation."

Quote:
It was entertaining, don't get me wrong. But I'm stuck in analyzing every film I see since it used to be my livelihood. Good concept with a few plot holes, but M. Night gave himself a starring role, which rubs me the wrong way. Even though he's a nice guy (I interviewed him years ago), all I have to say about that is... ego much?
M. Night wasn't in this one, except maybe in a background cameo. However, if you want to see some messianic delusions, check out Lady in the Water.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:44 PM   #3935
Ben Lahnger

Well, I've liked his supporting performances in other films of his that I've seen. The ego comment is understandable, but I think these guys all kinda have to have massive egos to succeed at this. Hitchcock put himself in cameo spots in all (or was it almost all?) of his films. I think of the greats and the directors that I admire (Wilder, Hitchcock, Frankenheimer, Wise, Siegel, Lumet, Kubric, Mamet, Speilberg and more) all had/have massive egos.

So the fairest real question that could be asked is this: Was the quality of his acting equal to, greater than or less than the quality of the work around him?

NL, I'd sincerely like to know what you thought.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #3936
JCC

I loved Avatar so I was worried from the outset about M. Night Shyamalan getting anywhere near it. I'm positively thrilled that it is so bad though, I had been concerned that Shyamalan would melt down all of the series' vibrancy and render it a dull, opalescent mess. The trailers and casting of painfully white actors (Jackson Rathbone dismissing criticisms of lack of authenticity by promising that he'll "get a tan" stands out) certainly pointed this way, but instead he appears to have created a sparkling monument to the death of his own career, an occasion which will go down in the ages as one of the greatest mercies in the history of cinema. I can't wait to see it.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:04 PM   #3937
Ben Lahnger

JCC, I never seen the source material but have heard other fans of Avatar express similar opinions.

I've just added Avatar: The Last Airbender: Book 1, 2 & 3 into my netflix instant watch queue. It's the only thing listed. Is that right? Is that the one I want to watch?

Alright, I just found out they have Blood: The Last Vampire (2000) available for IW too!

They also have Blood+ parts 1 and 2. Are those series any good (as supposed sequel to Blood: The Last Vampire?)

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 07-04-2010, 01:06 PM   #3938
JCC

I haven't seen Blood so I can't comment but yeah, the three 'books' are the three series of Avatar. It's a great series. I mean, obviously it's meant for kids but who gives a shit, there's more than enough for it to appeal to an adult audience.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #3939
Ben Lahnger

Sounds good to me. Many things are aimed at kids but can be rewarding to all ages. Thanks for the help.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 07-04-2010, 03:13 PM   #3940
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post

Alright, I just found out they have Blood: The Last Vampire (2000) available for IW too!

They also have Blood+ parts 1 and 2. Are those series any good (as supposed sequel to Blood: The Last Vampire?)
Blood+ isn't a sequel! Its set in an alternate universe. The sequel to Blood: The Last Vampire was in novel and manga form. Blood+ is alright, a lot of things are different and Saya especially acts completely different, but about halfway through the series it goes from okay to pretty good. The halfway episode that I have in mind made me cry.

Oh, and rant for the day: Sundays are extremely busy at work and they only scheduled me and another girl today. The other girl called in sick, so I was alone the whole time. Which was very stressful in and of it self but I'm also pissed that supervisors in other sections (my supervisors weren't in today either) kept keeping me from cleaning up the horrible mess that is the fitting rooms to just tidy up where it wasn't messy at all. And were condescending about it when I protested.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #3941
TheFeatheredÆtheling

I also just saw "The Last Airbender". This film is certainly geared towards a young audience (even Nickelodeon was listed in the credits), but there were some REALLY bad lines regardless. One line by an earth nation elder went something like this: "We were able to drive back the fire nation's first army, but then, they sent in machines... of metal". Really, Shyamalan? Metal machines? Imagine that. In another instance, an armoured fire nation soldier who is trying to convince the main characters to hand over an earth bender who assaulted him says, "He used his earth-bending ability to hit me in the back of the head with a rock; it really hurt!" Seriously? What a sensitive pansy. Anyway, the script was pretty juvenile throughout and was plagued by numerous grammatical errors. It did have a very different feel than most of Shyamalan's other movies though. I'm not particularly fond of his regular, slow-paced, moody style; at least he's versatile.
TheFeatheredÆtheling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:09 AM   #3942
Ben Lahnger

Wow! I was hopeful that "The Last Airbender" would be at least a little good. I'm not the least bit familiar with the source material (getting into it now) but the action sequences in the commercials made it look like it could be interesting. But everybody says it sucks. Here's a quote from Roger Ebert, who gives it one-half star out of four:

"'The Last Airbender' is an agonizing experience in every category I can think of and others still waiting to be invented. The laws of chance suggest that something should have gone right. Not here. It puts a nail in the coffin of low-rent 3D, but it will need a lot more coffins than that."

It's a good review (click the link above to see it), deconstructing a bad film and making it clear that everyone should stay away. As Ebert ends the review:

"I close with the hope that the title proves prophetic."

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 07-05-2010, 10:33 AM   #3943
Saya

It had 8% on Rotten Tomatoes last time I looked. Can it drop to 3% and rival Battlefield Earth?

This sounds like a good movie to Rifftrax, and that makes me very happy.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:54 PM   #3944
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFeatheredÆtheling View Post
"We were able to drive back the fire nation's first army, but then, they sent in machines... of metal".
Oh, yes, I forgot about this. 'And their machines' is appended to pretty much every mention of the fire nation, e.g. "then came the fire nation... AND THEIR MACHINES."
Old 07-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #3945
Angelic Dissonance

I decided not to see it immediately, when I saw the commercials. Aang doesn't speak in them. When you take a bubbly, wide-eyed little dude and make him into this solitary, dark figure, it just.... >:P

On that note, I didn't like what they did with Transformers, either...

Oh, and my girl said that everyone calls him "Ong".
Angelic Dissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:56 AM   #3946
Underwater Ophelia

Stop saying " my girl," it sounds fucking lame.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:36 AM   #3947
Tam Li Hua

^ You hate the oddest things, Ophie. O.o

I found out my infection is a community staff infection. My doctor started me on another round of antibiotics, three a day this time instead of two. Yaaay.

Also, sprung a giant leak in the store yesterday due to the infection being pushed out by the antibiotics. Yay for antibiotics working, boo for random leaking from stitched, sore places and soaking my shirt in public..
Old 07-06-2010, 11:38 AM   #3948
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Blood+ isn't a sequel! Its set in an alternate universe. The sequel to Blood: The Last Vampire was in novel and manga form. Blood+ is alright, a lot of things are different and Saya especially acts completely different, but about halfway through the series it goes from okay to pretty good. The halfway episode that I have in mind made me cry.
That explains a lot. I've seen one episode of Blood+, and the Blood: The Last Vampire movie. When someone said B+ was a continuation, I didn't think that was exactly right...
Old 07-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #3949
vindicatedxjin

Chinchaaaaaaaaa.......... I don't feel like working today, I'm wearing a strapless bra and it's causing me to have breathing issues.

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:45 AM   #3950
Solumina

I hate hormones, my boobs have swollen an entire cup size and are rather sore. Ugh they didn't used to swell quite this much, though they always got really tender, but they have done this for the last few months and I'm starting to think this is just what they are going to do, at least for a while. I don't know if I can handle much more of this, I may have to get some bras just for this time of month, which will of course be expensive as stores don't carry my size to begin with, let alone what they have swollen to, so they will need to be special ordered.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote