Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:10 PM   #1
someuid2

What is your inspiration?

For some background info:

I'm doing a senior design project at a fashion school and I chose Goth as my topic for a woman's eveningwear collection.

I haven't been a Goth for 6-7 years, and even when I was, I was just a follower, and a short-lived one at that. I’ve always appreciated their fashion though.

My question to you all: What (besides your friends) are your influences? Do you pay much attention to Victorian culture (specifically mourning wear) or to the 1200's-1400's in Europe?

My understanding of the Goth fashion scene as an outsider would guess that its origins and heaviest influence came from the geometries of the cathedrals in 13th century France. What is your opinion?
someuid2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
Underwater Ophelia

I like Victorian inspired things or just wacky things. Underwear looking things that aren't trashy...

Oh, if you plan to stick around, it would benefit you to make an intro.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
alshio

As for my fashion influnces, I don't know really. My fashion changes on a very frequent basis, it depends what type of mood I'm in. I'm probably not the best person to answer your question. I do like victorian fashion, my biggest influences are definitely not my friends - I don't go clothes shopping with them as we have such different tastes.

I'll have a think and tell you later.
In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed – they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo, Brunelleschi, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love, five hundred years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.
- Orson Wells
alshio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
Underwater Ophelia

Sometimes I go for a dancer/ballerina inspired look, as well. Very sleek, delicate, tiny.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:36 PM   #5
maggot

Crushed velvet panties!
Old 04-30-2007, 09:15 PM   #6
DarkGentleman

I like the victorian style as well, but most times my style is based on 2 words: "dark" and "elegant".

I do alot of research in fashion myself to see different concepts and tastes people have of personal expression.

As I mentioned in another thread recently, I had found rare issues of "Gothic&L***** Bible" magazine. This Gothic fashion magazine is imported from Japan. There is ALOT amazing concepts and styles in there. You would be shocked how they do it in Japan.
DarkGentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:20 PM   #7
raggedyanne

harajuku/goth ****** meets victorian meets broke teenager with painted converse sneakers
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:24 PM   #8
DarkGentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedyanne
harajuku/goth ****** meets victorian meets broke teenager with painted converse sneakers
Sounds very unique, I must say.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:30 PM   #9
eternalcrimson

I’d describe my formal dress style as romantic and very passionate. For example I like the black lace & garnet shirts, the white ruffled shirts with leather pants and maybe a long reverend coat to go over it. I like the Victorian style too but if I were to classify my look into a specific category I’d say it would be a classic European renaissance style.
eternalcrimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:02 PM   #10
DarkGentleman

I found a website containing images from the G&LB mag. Have a look.

http://www.avantgauche.co.uk/gallery/index.html

Hope this brings more inspiration to all.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:53 PM   #11
KontanKarite

I'm fairly romantic. I do have LOTS of death rocker influences.

Fashion... hmm...

There's the times I'm very romantic looking (poet shirts, pvc pants, nice dress coat)

There's the times I'm death rocker looking (Ripped fishnets, tall ass boots with the pants tucked in.

The girlish looks (Skirts, girl tops, ect)

The modern romantic (Form fitting blazer jackets, loosely buttoned dress shirts, tight but breathable slacks and black jean cut trousers)

Then there's the times I fuse these fashions into one look. Like this Sunday when I went to see Voltaire.

2 layers of shredded fishnet shirts, Black slacks cut off at the knees, thigh high black and red stripped socks, black SHINY dress shoes, red velvet smokers jacket, red and black studded belt and an extra leather belt with a jolly rodger on it, sagging to the right and resting on my right thigh. Black eye shadow

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:57 PM   #12
mrs.wes straker

Don't forget the 80s.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:52 AM   #13
Vyvian Blackthorne

Goth fashion aspects, I honestly love 'em all. Though I truthfully must say that favourites are the Victorian and Deathrocker fashions. I could wear a black frilled poet shirt with torn fishnets...crazy meh...so FTW I agree with Kontan
Old 05-01-2007, 08:07 AM   #14
DarkChildOne

For influences, i just go with what feels good. I am getting ready to work on a pair of really nice fitting black jeans, and i am going to fit them with lace on the pant legs, add a few d-rings and make it like a corset lacing. And its going to cost a total of... 20$. Why so cheap?

Pants: 12$
Rings: 3$
Ribbon: 2$
Lace: 3$
Making pants your own and that fit perfectly: Priceless.

But, i will say i do love the victorian mourning wear, along with alot of the evening wear. The corsets are a MUST. Pirate type outfits from the 1500s are coming into style now. Personally, i'll throw a bodice on top of a tunic and add a pair of jeans and it looks great.
DarkChildOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:02 AM   #15
DarkHeartedDemoness

My influence? I love grunge. No, not plaid flannel. I don't wear flannel. I just like to wear torn jeans over fishnets, large baggy jeans with lots of patches over rips. I like t-shirts from thrift stores with the collars cut out. Mostly, I like to be able to dress like a slob and still look cute.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:33 AM   #16
Minyaliel

Oh, really, really hard question - my look can change radically on a day-to-day basis. An actual example from three weeks (or so) ago:
Monday - PJ day. I was at home the whole day walking around in my light pink silk PJ's and slippers. Ooh, so goth. *giggle*
Tuesday - Comfy style - trainers, baggy pants, black tee.
Wednesday - Pixie look. Lots of pastels (blue, pink) and golden details, ripped skirt with colourful designs (plants, peacocks, leaves, that sort of thing) and a white top, with my hair looking as if I'd just woken up, that is, very messy.
Thursday - deathrock day. My black band jeans (embroidered with the names of my favourite bands and artists; a continuous DIY project of mine), ripped fishnets on my arms, a simple black top and a full death hawk.
Friday - vintage look; my hair down into a bun, full, long petticoats (several layers and colours), a dark red top and a corset and a shawl.
Saturday - Rockabilly day, wearing clothes a la "Grease" (think Sandy in the very end of the movie).
Sunday - Victorian mourning attire.

I do have a preference for vintage and retro styles, as well as for the fantastic (pixies, fairies, vampires, elves, etc); some times I just lounge around in comfy clothes. I'm a DIY'er, and often make my clothes myself, and combine historical styles from all eras, from Medieval (often with celtic influences) to the 1980's goth- punkish style. Old clothes are a lot of fun - I've got authentic clothing from the early 1900's (possibly late 1800) through dresses from the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's and a ski jacket from 1960 that I use every day because its versatility. Also, cross- gender is very much fun. Strangely enough I'm able to pull it off very well (sometimes to the point where strangers ask me whether I'm male or female... *laughs*). Recently I've become enamoured of the anime style and the japanese EGL style. But to sum up my main inspiration, I'd probably have to say historical styles, tales/ myths/ folklore/ fantasy literature/ fantasy movies and music. I agree with DG, elegant and dark are usually what I'm aiming for, aswell as (sometimes) cute.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:46 AM   #17
Minyaliel

Forgot to add, I also pick up a lot of inspiration at the opera and musical theatre shows I participate in.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:59 PM   #18
someuid2

The replies so far have been great - I'm starting to finalize the details on my first item of what is turning out to be a fairly bad-ass looking skirt. It sits on the upper waist and starts out with corset-like ribbing. It turns into a pencil skirt at the waist, and then before the knee turns into several inches of chiffon ruffles... figuring out the draping to make it look good is going to be a nightmare.

Please keep the ideas coming - you guys have already helped me a lot so far.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:12 PM   #19
maggot

I wouldn't do the ruffles.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:53 PM   #20
MollyMac

I still do kinderwhore sometimes... think old school Courtney Love or, better, Kat Bjelland. But my influences now are far less cool. Mostly Kilted and tartaned, jeans, slacker T-shirts.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:20 PM   #21
someuid2

Maggot - I'm using a thick, textured cotton, so the ruffles add more of a flare than they do a new look. It's still going to be fairly organic-looking.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:23 PM   #22
KontanKarite

What about a layer of sheer over everything else like an outer layer, but splits in the front and is asymmetrical?

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:30 PM   #23
Clockwork

My... influence. Hm, I guess I settle with whatever fits my whimsy. Right now it's long coats, but I also take elements in my wardrobe from steampunk. With brass goggles and a leather trenchcoat, I look like a gothic aviator of sorts @_@ or so I've been told.

M'ihyunno.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:13 PM   #24
Saddiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork
My... influence. Hm, I guess I settle with whatever fits my whimsy. Right now it's long coats, but I also take elements in my wardrobe from steampunk. With brass goggles and a leather trenchcoat, I look like a gothic aviator of sorts @_@ or so I've been told.

M'ihyunno.
Steampunk is incredibly hot.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:17 PM   #25
Saddiction

I'd say my influence is pretty self explanitory.