Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 01-29-2008, 06:22 PM   #1
KontanKarite

So... New York City?

Yeah. I've pretty much made up my mind. Around October, I'm going on an adventure. I'm moving to New York City. No justifiable rhyme or reason. I'm just going to do it.

So yeah, what's the cost of living like up there? How's the economy in general there? I've got a lot of eclectic skills from security to insurance outsourcing to arts, crafts, and performing arts.

Essentially, I just want to know what is what and what I should know before moving. Thanks a bunch. Gothicus, I'm looking at you, buddy.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
Stormtrooper of Death

No, you should move to Meeenasota dontcha know.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:00 PM   #3
Bella Sophia

I"ve always wanted to go to New York city. But.. I can't stand the cold, It already gets freezing here in Ohio. Ah, and I can't stand the pollution either. How the hell am I going to survive in NY? *quickly makes plans to move to Hawaii...*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_dreams
What the Hell is wrong with you!?!?! who the Hell kill's helpless and innocent babies? that's f***ing sick!!!
Don't you have anything better to do than pollute our forums?!?
Bella Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:52 AM   #4
CptSternn

Kon -

NYC is expensive mate. Your also going to need to find a place to stay well before you get there unless you want to end up literally living on the street.

When I moved away a few years back, an average one bedroom flat in a crap part of town was about $1,400 a month with no utils included.

You can usually find work easy enough in some areas, HOWEVER, you need to know someone as most places just don't hire people off the streets.

Also note - everything else is also expensive. Getting into the club, buying drinks, etc. cost much more than they do in other parts of America. Most clubs only sell bottled beer, for about $6.50 a bottle and mixed drinks - one single shot of liquor - for about $8. Thats on top of the cover charge, which is all nights of the week. Expect to pay upwards of $20 to get into a venue, unless they have an event like a guest DJ from somewhere famous, then you can pay like $90 to get in to a club.

The only place I lived that was more expensive was South Beach, where it was $30 to get into clubs on a slow night and drinks started at $15 a pop.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:32 AM   #5
KontanKarite

Ooh, good to know.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:50 AM   #6
Arkayem

Hey there, I think you will have a good time in NYC, as I live in the Bronx. The housing rates in NYC are some of, if not the highest in the country so yeah it will be expensive, but the experience is well worth the cost. The tourists that come here seem to have a ball after all....
Arkayem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:55 AM   #7
Delkaetre

Resource for you. I haven't checked them thoroughly or asked any locals to the area if they're up to date, but they may make a good starting point.
http://anon.razorwire.com/events/
http://www.nycgoth.com/intro/
Within the second one, you may find the following of particular use-
http://www.nycgoth.com/shops/
http://www.nycgoth.com/clubs/
and this one should be good for getting to know people in the area and asking them advice about where to get a flat, where to shop, which clubs to go to, etc. Assuming it's still functional- as I say, I haven't checked it thoroughly yet.
http://www.nycgoth.com/discussion/

I'll see if I can find anything else. I'm afraid that was just one google search and a jump from an outdated resource listing, I should be able to get something better by this evening.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:42 AM   #8
Lapin

I've been to New York, and cool though it was, I wouldn't want to live there. I've got allergies and there's way too much pollution.

But the shopping was fantastic.

Funny NYC story: I was in Harlem, just looking around with some friends, when this old man sitting on a stoop says "Honey, I think you're lost. Greenwich is that way."

Good luck Kontan.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
CptSternn

Oh yeah, don't go above 219 unless yer on a train.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:01 PM   #10
Bella Sophia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
Kon -

NYC is expensive mate. Your also going to need to find a place to stay well before you get there unless you want to end up literally living on the street.

When I moved away a few years back, an average one bedroom flat in a crap part of town was about $1,400 a month with no utils included.

You can usually find work easy enough in some areas, HOWEVER, you need to know someone as most places just don't hire people off the streets.

Also note - everything else is also expensive. Getting into the club, buying drinks, etc. cost much more than they do in other parts of America. Most clubs only sell bottled beer, for about $6.50 a bottle and mixed drinks - one single shot of liquor - for about $8. Thats on top of the cover charge, which is all nights of the week. Expect to pay upwards of $20 to get into a venue, unless they have an event like a guest DJ from somewhere famous, then you can pay like $90 to get in to a club.

The only place I lived that was more expensive was South Beach, where it was $30 to get into clubs on a slow night and drinks started at $15 a pop.
Holy hell. I didn't know any of that. It sure helped to influence my decision. o.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_dreams
What the Hell is wrong with you!?!?! who the Hell kill's helpless and innocent babies? that's f***ing sick!!!
Don't you have anything better to do than pollute our forums?!?
Bella Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:00 PM   #11
dreamydancer

Teeheee, "around October." Ew, ew, ew, New York is a very nice place to visit but I would think of wanting to move there. I hate how everything is built on top of each other, and underground and compact. It just seems like a lot of money to feel poor and insignificant, if you get my drift. Also, freezing my ass off for most of the year does not sound very exciting. I'm just giving you another opinion to consider. *picks nose*

~Clan of Xymox
dreamydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:05 PM   #12
dreamydancer

Also, make sure you don't run into this guy. He lives in Manhattan, New York and would scare the shit out of you. My friend considered vacationing there this summer and decided not to in fear of running into him. XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvWiGS6bt94

~Clan of Xymox
dreamydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:39 AM   #13
Catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
Yeah. I've pretty much made up my mind. Around October, I'm going on an adventure. I'm moving to New York City. No justifiable rhyme or reason. I'm just going to do it.

So yeah, what's the cost of living like up there? How's the economy in general there? I've got a lot of eclectic skills from security to insurance outsourcing to arts, crafts, and performing arts.

Essentially, I just want to know what is what and what I should know before moving. Thanks a bunch. Gothicus, I'm looking at you, buddy.
I was wondering if you've actually had any sucess with arts, crafts and performing arts where you already live. New York is very expensive. I knew a couple guys who were going to do that. Their car got jacked the first night and they ended up going home.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:44 AM   #14
gothicusmaximus

Woah, I totally missed this thread. Sorry dude.
Anyway, as you may or may not be aware I myself am an unemployed freshman college student and pay for my enrollment at New York University partially through scholarship and partially through the support of my wealthy parents, so my circumstance is quite different from that which will be yours should you spontaneously move to the city. Nevertheless, I will try to render assistance.
Although Manhattan is indubitably the most awesome of the boroughs, if you're looking for cheap living you may have difficulty securing it there. I have some friends who live in Harlem (around 155th street, specifically), and they pay about 1600 dollars per month, which is about the best you can get if you don't want a total shit studio or something. As Sternn said, I get the impression that work is easy enough to find as long as you have an 'in' of some kind- if necessary, I can try talking to some people and get an idea as to where you might start looking, provided that you give me a little while.
Considering that life here is fiscally taxing, that is the case for a reason. New York is fucking awesome, it's the heartbeat of the world, the only proof you need of that is the 92nd street Y and the fact that I live here.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:11 AM   #15
Arkayem

People should try going somewhere other than Manhattan when they come the NYC, often times when ever I actually work into a convo with a tourist (via them asking me for directions) I would always go, "Hey you should visit some shopping districts in the Bronx." The usual response is, "Thanks for the help, I do not think I'll visit the Bronx this time maybe on my next trip." Then they would walk away either laughing or mortified.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:16 AM   #16
Drake Dun

Kontan, you are a crazy screw up who values whimsy and spontaneous adventurism over sober decision making.

It's so nice to find a kindred soul on the Internet now and then.

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:16 AM   #17
Arkayem

There are some trouble spots in the Bronx, but it is not like I am throwing them into Patterson Houses. (one of the more troubled housing projects of the South Bronx)

Not to mention a stong "latino goth" movement in the Fordham section of the Bronx, which earned itself an artice in the NY Times 2 years ago.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:03 PM   #18
(heartofflames)

Wait a second, I forgot that I LIVE in New York City.....
awkward....

Charlotte: You're probably just having a mid-life crisis. Did you buy a Porsche yet?
(heartofflames) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:49 AM   #19
Arkayem

Quote:
Originally Posted by (heartofflames)
Wait a second, I forgot that I LIVE in New York City.....
awkward....
That is most totally awesome.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:26 PM   #20
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake Dun
Kontan, you are a crazy screw up who values whimsy and spontaneous adventurism over sober decision making.

It's so nice to find a kindred soul on the Internet now and then.

Drake
HA! I make up absurd ideas and then logically follow through with them. Fuck sober decision making. Robert Smith once said, "Just say YES! Do it now. Let yourself go."

Old 02-02-2008, 02:28 AM   #21
CptSternn

I always go to the Bronx when I'm there. Then again, most of my mates live there and thats where I stay when visiting.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:27 AM   #22
Born Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Sophia
I"ve always wanted to go to New York city. But.. I can't stand the cold, It already gets freezing here in Ohio. Ah, and I can't stand the pollution either. How the hell am I going to survive in NY? *quickly makes plans to move to Hawaii...*

Hawaii? Eh, you're better off sucking sand threw straws in the Sudan.

Although, I do miss the Mai Tai fever....especially after a night of dancing around Folger's coffee can fire pits. Say "no" to drugs kiddies.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:39 AM   #23
Catch

I've n ever been to New England. Might like going to DC one day, but I really don't understand the whole New York City fantasy. I imagine going and winding up in the district with all the one hour motels in the middle of the night, afraid and hiding in trash.

Seems like New Jersey is better. You can commute during the day. Daytime New York City, probably okay.