Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

View Poll Results: Is the future of your music scene going for the better or for the worse
better 24 32.43%
worse 32 43.24%
I dont think its changing 18 24.32%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2004, 12:58 PM   #26
Deadhymn

tiny little Columbia, South Carolina has a great goth scene thanks to The Art Bar ( http://www.artbarsc.com/gothlinks.html ), the WUSC 90.5 FM Goth show, "Dark Entries" that happens every Friday night from 10pm until 12am. Go here to listen ( http://wusc.sc.edu ).
Deadhymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 10:19 AM   #27
Tatteredgoth

It sucks

[b] :evil: There is hardly anything that even resembles a goth seen in Fall River, Mass. IT's mostly PREPS AND RAPPERS! :cry: aND THAT PISSES ME THE FUCK OFF!!! :evil:
Tatteredgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 04:09 PM   #28
centurion

The goth/darkwave scene in Japan is just barely starting.

Around Osaka, there are some gothic clothing shops(Doberman and Alice Auaa) and Territory Records, which is owned by Taiki, who pretty much started the whole gothic club scene in Osaka, has a dark ambient band of his own(Diabolic Art), and is one hell of a nice guy!!
He used to have a goth bar around here called Sabbat, but that has since closed, so now he has a gothic club event about once a month or so in various locations.....

As for actual bands though, the only Japanese darkwave band I can think of is Eve of Destiny from Tokyo, who play sort of an electro-gothic-EBM sound.
I guess the emergence of goth here is a logical evolution, since Japan has been into punk for so long......
the punk scene here is huge; the metal scene here has been around forever, but the bands are varied and scattered; there used to be a noise scene in the 80s(Merzbow, etc.); and there`s a booming electro-trance scene. But goth is just getting started, and I`m interested in what direction it might take.

As for links:

Taiki`s shop Territory Records, club events, and Diabolic Art: http://www.territory-d.com/

Alice Auaa, the high society, ubergothic designer clothing shop(nice people despite being ubergoths, but a bit pricy): http://www.alice-auaa.co.jp/

Eve of Destiny`s site: http://www.eveofdestiny.net/
centurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 04:37 PM   #29
Dr.StrangeRawk

Small town Ontario...

I Am The Scene..

We ( Our Band ) have totally abandoned playing anything but
our new warped out Shite.

The people of this area know only what the corpoate dogs allow them to hear on the commercial stations.. No Underground at all...

We Have retreated to our fine Lair and Crank Out Death and Mayhem and Venture out to Ottawa to scare the villagers When the Need arrizes.

Check a small sample of our 50 + tunes here

www.purevolume.com/fraankenrawk

We do alot more "Horror" based stuff, if anyone is interested we could arrage to mail some ( I am Talking Truly twisted Stuff - so Beware )

Dr. StrangeRawk
Dr.StrangeRawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 04:41 AM   #30
Loy

Centurion-a lot of the old school goths/industrialists (yeah...so old school that they pre-date the term "rivethead") were big into a lot of the japanese noise bands (Oh! Moro, Destroy All Monsters, etc) . How does that scene intermingle with the goth one over in good old Nippon?
Old 11-08-2004, 04:35 PM   #31
centurion

Sadly, most of the youngsters are unaware of it`s existence. Some of the older crowd are into it and acknowledge it`s existence, but as far as scene-wise, there`s not really any intermingling of any sort.
Actually, there`s a newer instrumental coldwave/industrial/metal band from Tokyo called Bacteria who include some of these noise influences into their mix, and there`s still a few noise/power electronics acts still coming from that area, but sadly no club would play them....
I guess it`s similar as to why no goths or rivetheads showed up at the last Throbbing Gristle performance.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:07 PM   #32
FenrisQueen

I'm in Raleigh, now, and the local music scene licks balls. There are not many places to hear local bands. The closest place I go to is Lucky's, which is in Wilmington. It has shows every once in a while, usually on sundays. It's a punk thing, mainly, but I like it. Their are a lot of skinheads who go there, but it is interesting to talk to them...and they look hot in the jeans and suspenders. I have been trying to get my hands on a Maxwell demon record, which came out long before I was born. I've been getting into the glitter scene ever since I saw Velvet Goldmine, and I also enjoy the dropkick murphys, the smiths, the vandals, and the cruxshadows.
FenrisQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 08:43 PM   #33
Jane13

I live in a town with a lot of rednecks, hippies, and drunks(who drink buds...ugh). NO SCENE AT ALL. Anywho, Centurion, I know the Gosso-Rorri thing is completly differnt than goth in the western sense, but (I'm curious) do the two scenes ever seem to come together, or are they generally ignorant to one another?
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 05:40 PM   #34
centurion

hmmm.....

Well, I guess in a fashion sense, the goth scene here is quite diversified. You never know what kind of people will show up at clubs, but click on the Alice Auaa site and you`ll have somewhat of an idea of what the scene "looks" like here, anyways.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:03 AM   #35
no_transitory

Surprisingly enough for being in buttfuck nowhere, we have an amzing local music scene. Several Bands get together nd have shows every week pretty much all year around, and they are pretty good. Some are signed ti indie labels now, but most at just a bunch of kids, who got togther and learned to cover their favourite songs. The older guys adn girls are writing their own adn such, they are damn good.

Its a shame that many poeple are oblivious to the local talents that lay in theatre and music. my friend s and I however support them full heartedly, we're at every show like groupies or something . lol i gess thats what you get when your best friend is a lead signer.

no_transitory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 07:46 PM   #36
mortiis

slow horrid death

the metal and hard-rock scene is dying. i go to school and there are only 20 or so out of 1000 students that like metal. we are vilified and insulted but "enemies of metal bow down before my sword" (from Deadly Sinners). we are better than punkers and poppers and hip-hoppers and techno. we are better and we know it. so anyone else can burn in the pits of Immortuarium. ill be there to watch and laugh when you spasm and start convulsing in orgasmic throes of pain
mortiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 09:55 AM   #37
thejugglingtroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn
So How is you local music scene? :?: :?
SHIT!

There's a lot of cover bands (mainly blokes my dads age butchering classic rock and metal ... it's like karaoke). The rest either play the same old whiney sub-standard brit pop, or it's a bunch of druggies attempting to be the next nirvana. Live, the local bands have less life in them than a brick.
thejugglingtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 03:35 PM   #38
Kettu

fake emo/punk. you know like blink 180, greenday, and other bands that suck ass
Kettu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 03:43 PM   #39
Sarkphagos

Hmm... We have lots of Hawaiian bands/artists. Could be because the economy here is supported by tourism.... But hawaiian not really being my 'type' of music....

yeah we have no scene. I have a couple of friends in bands who pretend to play music and sing... what do they call it? Punk, I think. Yeah.... no music here, particularily not metal *sigh* or goth.
Actually, I would be kind of scared to hear anything people here might call goth. They tend to have a rather... interestering definition of the word. Yig, the thought simply chills me!
Sarkphagos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:37 PM   #40
imcrazy814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheez32
the music scene here in fort wayne, indiana sucks!! i can't stand to go out unless it's to a concert and we do not get many good acts here in my town. the music scene here is primarily rap,hip-hop,r&b crap. every once in a while someone will put on a rave..whoopy

hey im going to fort wayne in 3 weeks, my brother has a hockey tournament, and i get out of school for it. But anyways the music scene in Columbus, really all of ohio is terrible, i think the best local band actualy is this band that goes to my high school, they're not bad, but they are only sophmores, and can't play in any clubs or anything.
imcrazy814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 11:39 AM   #41
dreamydancer

All I can say is that Houston's local music scene doesn't cater to my taste. I'm not going to say that it all sucks a lotta ass because that's not fair. There was this band of seniors called BoJones who all graduated last semester. Just your same old story of punk inclined rebellious heavy music. Yuck!! They would perform in the courtyard during lunch and ruin my one hour of peace.

There's also the Riff Tiffs and they basically fall into the same genres as BoJones. Sometimes I feel like the only gloom cookie who prefers the mysterious desolation of Bauhaus over the inane teen inspired spirit of the Ramones.

Then I remember that I can dance to the Sisters of Mercy any weekend at the local club. At last I've come to realize I'm just another cliché.

~Clan of Xymox
dreamydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 04:16 PM   #42
ezra

Here in Denver the music scene, I am compeld to say is pretty good actualy
I beleive the combination of colleges and a strong indipendent music base
pluse noone comes to Denver looking for that big reacord contract and
there for dosent bother to formulise their music.
It dosent hurt that we have a really good collige radio station
AM 1190 by the way they web cast so go look for them NO COMERCIALS EVER
so If you want to here the Denver music scene for your self on Fri. at 4:00 pm. MST they play all local evey genre and sub genre
ever heard of DEVOTCKA
ezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 12:43 AM   #43
Dreamawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcrazy814
But anyways the music scene in Columbus, really all of ohio is terrible, i think the best local band actualy is this band that goes to my high school, they're not bad, but they are only sophmores, and can't play in any clubs or anything.
I honestly don't think the music scene is that bad here. We are the home of some great acts:

The Azoic : http://www.nilaihah.com/theazoic/

Fleshfield : http://www.flesh-field.com/

Only Flesh : http://www.onlyflesh.info/

It could be a lot worse.
Dreamawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 07:14 AM   #44
tekajo

The local music scene where i live (small town rural west central louisiana) consists of three bands:
Ahimsa: punk www.freewebs.com/ahimsa1
TNT: hard rock http://tntrock.com
River Blindness: southern-death metal-groove www.riverblindness.net

Of the three River Blindness has a very good chance of being signed to a major label. At the Hard Rock Cafe in Dallas TX there is an acoustic guitar with their signatures on it.
i'm a little partial to River Blindness because i am friends with the band, but they are awesome; it amazes me that someday a band will be out on the national scene from Zwolle Louisiana.
tekajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 06:08 AM   #45
Lelith_Hesperax

Music scene in Belgrade (Serbia) is not as good as I would like...... We have few industrial/future pop bands http://www.coldtrinity.com/news.php

Club life is more interesting for me.Mostly I listen german gothic,industrial,ebm bands
Lelith_Hesperax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 08:00 PM   #46
ExistentialDisorder

There is zilch here as far as any kind of goth (or skater) scene, as far as I know of. However, I went out last weekend to see The Last Dance at the Art Bar here, and was rather surprised at all the black collars lurking about. Hell, I was shocked that TLD even knew where Columbia S.C. was, much less that they put it on their tour list. So I don't know where they all came from. Maybe there really is a scene here and they're just hiding from all the xians. Course, that was the first time I'd been out to a club for a show in over a year, since I went to see Sister Machine Gun @ new brookland tavern. Another shocker...

~E.D.

"What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection
Is it all you wanted to be?
What if you could look right through the cracks?
Would you find yourself [or]
Find yourself afraid to see?..." -NIN
ExistentialDisorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 12:03 AM   #47
Black Gestalt

Seattle.

Great music scene, enough said.
Black Gestalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 06:59 PM   #48
punkirony

HEH! What music sceen!?!
Old 09-30-2005, 05:23 AM   #49
kindred

unfortunally, living area hasn't discovered metal yet along the wheel.
it seems that everytime I put something like, nightwish,lacuna,epica,dimmu borgir,immortal some guy actually says its kinda nice, then I addict them to other dark themes. ...
kindred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 06:16 AM   #50
Defy

all around me

full of pop music

underground is still boring

nothing chang in last 10 years

people changes
but music still the same
Defy is offline   Reply With Quote