Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 03-07-2006, 12:17 AM   #576
Lackluster_Heavens

Documentary, first I read The Blood Countess by Andrei Codrescu which apperently didn't follow her story very well, but it was still a rather interesting read, but I wanted to really know the facts behind the woman, and I heard that Dracula Was A Woman was the best documentary out there on her.
Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.
Lackluster_Heavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:35 AM   #577
Blushing Heliophobe

Well, let me know if it was an interesting read because I might pick it up myself! I like stories that stick very closely to history but straight history sometimes bores me. Historical Fiction is one of my favorite genres but if this one is a good read according to you, I'll pick it up.
Blushing Heliophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:46 AM   #578
Lackluster_Heavens

For historical fiction I would definatly recommend The Blood Countess. I thought it was quite good. A couple scenes were a wee bit over the top, but thats to be expected from a book about Bathory I suppose.
Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:15 AM   #579
Lackluster_Heavens

And, if you would like Blushing, I could recommend alot of historical fiction books to you if you'd like. All I seem to do anymore is read.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:55 AM   #580
Shi'ark

For Historical Fiction try reading Spartan, it by a Italian professor who’s name I’m not even going to try to spell. Excellent novel set in the warrior culture of the old Greek world.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:35 PM   #581
Lackluster_Heavens

Elephants and Castle by Alfred Duggan. Its about the succesors to Alexander the Great, if that counts as Greek mythology. He was a bit mythological I suppose, because he called himself the child of a god.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:37 PM   #582
Lackluster_Heavens

Oh, and if your looking for a really good historical fiction about classical achitecture, such as cathedrals and all that jazz. Check out Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. In my opinion, it's an amazing read.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:04 PM   #583
Shi'ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Anybody know any other good novels involving Greek Mythology? I've read Spartan already, I think. I'm not sure.

I'll check amazon.com
Any thing by the same guy. Valerio Massimo Manfredi is his name. Also wrote novels about Alexander the Great. The talisman of Troy, about what happened after the Trojan war and the Last Logion, about the fall of the roman empire. That is what I have read by him and they are brilliant.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:11 AM   #584
Blushing Heliophobe

Okay, this is going to sound a bit cheesy, but I love the Goddess Summoning series by P.C. Cast. They are romance novels that are about modern women who, some way or another, accidently manage to switch worlds/bodies with Greek mythological figures.

One, an Italian-American woman, accidently gets switched with Persephone and falls in love with Hades (Goddess of Spring)...

and the other is an Air Force Sgt. and gets switched with the mermaid daughter of Gaea and Poseidan. (Goddess of Sea).

There's also Goddess of Light, which I haven't read yet.

I don't like most romance because they don't always develop the characters enough, but I really like these.

So, here ya go, Xng!

Since I admitted I read Romance, I may as well admit that I'm reading 'Something Wicked' by Evelyn Vaugn. It's pretty good so far; the heroine is starting to fall in love with the 'good twin' of her sister's killer - whom she accidently cursed. It's original
Blushing Heliophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:10 PM   #585
winged_dreams

Animal Farm. I'm so happy. I've wanted to read this book for forever.

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:12 AM   #586
bunnicula

Currently: The Psychocybernetic Model of Art Therapy (for school), and The Witches Almanac (for fun)
just finished: The Gospel of Mary Magdalene
before that: A Brief History of Everything by Ken Wilber
before that: American Gods by Neil Gaiman

some recommened books I have read in the last few years:
The Wind Up Bird Chronicles by Haruki Murakami
100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie
Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins
Lost Souls by Poppy Z Brite
The Urantia Book
bunnicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:09 PM   #587
Magpie_Tendencies

Winged Dreams - We have to read Animal Farm for my English class this year. I haven't bought it yet. Is it good?

Last edited by Magpie_Tendencies; 03-10-2006 at 06:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Magpie_Tendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:50 PM   #588
edible_eye

the vision by dean koontz.

it sucks. his characters enrage me because they're so superficial, personality disordered and manipulative. fuck, why did i even start this? i knew i was going to hate it.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:31 AM   #589
bluesmuse

I'm reading Kostova

I'm reading the Elizabeth Kostova's "The Historian" - in a word -- awesome!
bluesmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:17 AM   #590
chloegoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by edible_eye
the vision by dean koontz.

it sucks. his characters enrage me because they're so superficial, personality disordered and manipulative. fuck, why did i even start this? i knew i was going to hate it.

So.... like middle school? Yech.

My mom used to read Dean Koontz, but I've been advised by several people to avoid him. I'm thinking maybe that was a good idea...

Right now, I'm reading comic books, but I plan on starting back into my Jean-Paul Sartre again soon. I think that I'll read Les Mouches next.
chloegoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:20 AM   #591
Ben Lahnger

bunnicula, was "American Gods" good? I keep looking at it in the bookstore.

Lackluster_Heavens, I'm with you about the Orson Scott Card novel "Ender's Game", but it is only number two on my list. Because I thought the sequel, "Speaker For The Dead", was better. It really made the experience of reading both novels transcend just reading a book. It was a philosophy changing experience for me.

I'm currently re-reading "Cerulian Sins" by Laurel K. Hamilton

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 11:54 PM   #592
bunnicula

Yes, American Gods is good. It was so good that I read about 3/4 of it last year, but I accidentally left it at work and the stupid day-bartender GAVE IT AWAY to some bum, even though it wasn't hers! Stupid girl! Anyway, I bought it again, and read it in just a couple of days. I also liked Good Omens.
bunnicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 12:13 AM   #593
Pathogen.

Still "From Mission To Microchips" by Fred Glass, my Labour Studies teacher. Again, because I have to. Finished chapter 12 this morning on WW2 & its effect on California labour. Just started reading chapter 13 on the 1946 Oakland general strike. It's hella good so far! I put that up there with the action-packed chapter 9 [1934 San Francisco general strike].
Pathogen. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 05:44 AM   #594
edible_eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloegoth
So.... like middle school? Yech.
worse.

at least with middle school, kids, they're still learning about life and as such, some leeway can be granted.

these are adult characters who koontz tries to force you to like with sappy, sugary statements regarding their perceived vulnerabilities (which the characters play up with obvious intent to manipulate those around them), all the while using extreme conditions to describe their thoughts and moments of plight, usually resulting in the characters become two-dimensional and horribly stereotypical with refernce to the dsm's axis 2 definition of personality disorder. they're torturous to experince on an ongoing basis.

it makes me wonder about koontz himself and the company he keeps.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:13 PM   #595
+Neon Injection+

Smile

I'm currently reading a book called "Memory and Dream."
It's about a female artist who can make the subjects of her work travel into the "real world". It also deals with insanity, which is always fun.
+Neon Injection+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:44 PM   #596
Magpie_Tendencies

I've just started "Animal Farm". It's fascinating, but only if you understand the parallels being drawn between the farm and the government of that time. We have to read it for English this term and I think we are going to be doing a lot of research on the background of the book for the people who don't get it.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:29 PM   #597
tenet_2012

Here
is an excerpt from the book I am currently reading.

"The End of Faith: Religion, Terror and the Future of Reason" by Sam Harris.

--Geisha
tenet_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:47 PM   #598
TwistedKitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnicula
Yes, American Gods is good. It was so good that I read about 3/4 of it last year, but I accidentally left it at work and the stupid day-bartender GAVE IT AWAY to some bum, even though it wasn't hers! Stupid girl! Anyway, I bought it again, and read it in just a couple of days. I also liked Good Omens.

Good Omens rocked...I need to read it again...

pssst, Morrigan, tokidoki shashin wa ii...
TwistedKitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:15 PM   #599
Godslayer Jillian

I'm hoping to read American Gods after my current book.
Tales of the Dying Earth by Jack Vance

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:02 AM   #600
prettylikedrugs

I'm currently finishing off reading "The heart is deceitful above all things" by J T Leroy, which is a really good book.
prettylikedrugs is offline   Reply With Quote