Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 12-10-2014, 08:28 PM   #1
Liberty

Red face Hey

Well, I'm new here. XD Honestly I'm very nervous about becoming a part of this community because several years back I tried to get involved in the goth scene and was severely harassed by other online users at another site. Right off of the bat I was called a poser and told I was doing this to be cool. Keep in mind I was about 12 at the time. From that point on, I spent a good amount of time researching other subcultures such as scene and emo. I made several accounts on various websites and found that none of the other subcultures fit me well, although I found that the "emo" subculture was slightly more to my liking, but honestly the people involved in the subculture are way too whiny and immature for my tastes. Regardless of what other goths have told me in the past, I've always been fascinated with the goth world. I've met a couple of goths in passing over the years and have found that they are the few people that understand not only my humor, but my love for the darker things in life.
Surprisingly, my teacher is the one that directed me to this website. He is goth and has recently taught me a lot about the gothic subculture. Through him I have come to realize that I fit in with this subculture much more than I thought. Hopefully I have made the right decision in joining this website, and I look forward to meeting you all! Who knows, we might be best friends one day.
Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:21 PM   #2
BourbonBoy

Welcome to the boards.
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:33 PM   #3
Liberty

Woohoo! I didn't get yelled at.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:19 PM   #4
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Hey Libs. Welcome.
I am glad to read you did some exploring about the subculture. The more you read about goths the more you discover even more paths in life to check out, not just music and fashion but art and history and politics and writing...becoming a goth actually converted me from an ignorant Republican to a progressive as I learned about people and things. It opens your eyes and broadens your mind.

And I think you'll find the people who reject you aren't worth worrying about. You might as well get used to it anyway, because goths are ostracized by most mainstream muggles anyway.

Hope you enjoy yourself here.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
Liberty

I am enjoying the site very much. As my teacher said, he thought I was already goth. Lol. I suppose I've already got the look more or less, and the things my teacher told me were related to the goth subculture were things I already enjoyed. I love The Vampire Chronicles, Poe, Joy Division, ect. What I found most fascinating was something about clove cigarettes. I have no idea why they are a part of the subculture, (and maybe you can enlighten me) but regardless I've always enjoyed one or two once in a while.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:30 AM   #6
Billyh

Hello! I'm also new user
Billyh is offline   Reply With Quote