Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
Anima_Severem

Goth fashion in hot weather?

I don't know what everyone's specific closet looks like, but as far as I know most goths have velvet or leather of some kind in their wardrobe. My goth fashion pretty much consists of one velvet pullover given to me by my grandmother and a black velvet pencil skirt I owned in high school. I love these two articles of clothing to death.

There's only one problem. Where I live, it's often too hot to wear either of them.

What would you suggest someone wear in the summer that's cool, but still keeps with decent style?
Anima_Severem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:00 PM   #2
Catch

I lived in Texas for awhile. Now didn't go so far as actully developing my own style, but people like to wear clashing color in odd ways that looked sloppy or black baby doll dresses that revealed their bra strap and flip flops.

However, I have found a compromise. Black short-sleeved dress with shear black knee length leggins and flip flops or Black short-sleeved shirt with mid length black short and flip flops. Add jewerly as needed to make it actually look somewhat Goth. Those spring sweaters that are lighter and breath are also really good.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:25 PM   #3
Pineapple_Juice

I wear skirts every day anyway, aside from very rare occasions, but I'd obviously suggest a-line black skirts that allow breathing room and a plain tank top. Some cute little peep toe shoes would work with it-all airy and shit on your toes, I guess.
I'm a firm believer that anything can look rightly goth if the person wearing it does.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:51 AM   #4
Anima_Severem

I suppose it doesn't help that I'm a natural blonde and my hair isn't dyed. And I don't want to dye it black.

Ideally I think the color I want my hair to be is this really really light blonde I had when I was about 5 or 6. It's darkened a lot since then.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:59 AM   #5
SiouxsiePernova

Wear clothing made from lighter materials, such as cotton or lace.

SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:38 AM   #6
Heretic

I live in Minnesota, which in the summer has a climate similar to that of Washington, D.C. (highs in the 80s to low 90s, stifling humidity). I tend to mix athletic clothing into my wardrobe when summer rolls around (in black, naturally). A light weight, moisture-wicking t-shirt beats the hell out of a sticky, sweat-drenched cotton t-shirt. The most common sort of material used is the nylon you see in Nike and Under Armour sports clothing. The net effect, if done right, is a light mix of Industrial and Cybergoth that won't have you passing out from heat stroke. You can find shirts made by these companies in discount retail stores for around 10-$15 a piece.

The other popular material that will keep you cooler in the summer heat is Marino wool, produced by companies like Icebreaker and Smartwool. Stronger than the nylon, it's also more breathable and odor-resistant. It can be pricey as hell, but I've gotten my hands of some of these shirts for less that $20 buy keeping my eyes pealed at outdoor stores like REI and some local camping outfitters.

Keep in mind that each of these companies makes comparable clothing for women, even adding in some unique items (ladies' skirts, for example).

If your jeans are too toasty, and cargo shorts aren't your cup of tea, I've seen some longer, industrial-looking mountain biking shorts that have a suitably dark look about them.

- Heretic
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:01 AM   #7
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anima_Severem View Post
I don't know what everyone's specific closet looks like, but as far as I know most goths have velvet or leather of some kind in their wardrobe. My goth fashion pretty much consists of one velvet pullover given to me by my grandmother and a black velvet pencil skirt I owned in high school. I love these two articles of clothing to death.

There's only one problem. Where I live, it's often too hot to wear either of them.

What would you suggest someone wear in the summer that's cool, but still keeps with decent style?
Move to Wisconsin, it's still in the 50s here.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:04 AM   #8
PortraitOfSanity

Where are you in Wisconsin?

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:05 AM   #9
crucifix

I just wear a t shit and black pants and boots in the summer. Honestly, I don't look that 'goth', so to speak, in the summer. In the fall and winter I look like a future mortician but not nearly as much in the summer. Honestly, it gets so hot here in NC in the summer that as long as I am not sweating like a pig and I am still wearing what I like I don't really care if onlookers don't think I am screaming goth or not.
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:09 AM   #10
dabbadmc

I've got some summer dresses, my newest being an awesome zebra print one. On the rare occasion that we get sunshine here, I wear skirts and dresses a lot. Most often, a light cardigan or leather jacket would suffice over the top if it's windy.

To be honest, if it's fucking hot outside, I would avoid my velvets altogether, and my boots too. We've been having a lot of great weather recently and it's just uncomfortable wearing that kind of thing. So I'll stick to wearing something which I don't boil up in, regardless of whether it gives me goth cred or not, haha.
dabbadmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:13 AM   #11
Pineapple_Juice

Sob sob, living at the beach, I shall never know what it is to be encumbered by poor weather patterns. *throws self to floor in anguish*
Old 06-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #12
Lady_Alyce

Location: A lovely place where the humidity melts your makeup off.
I also live where it's really hot. The normal temperature in July is 98 degrees with a ridiculous amount of humidity; hot and sticky. I tend to wear a lot of cotton: it's thin, it's light, and ventilating. I generally go Alice in Wonderland when the hot weather hits. Wicking shirts really help if its REALLY hot. I also tend to wear broomstick skirts. Adding lace also helps clothes look nice. I generally stay away from leggings/stockings in summer, as well as gloves, if its extremely humid outside.
Lady_Alyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:20 PM   #13
Tam Li Hua

Skirts, sleeveless shirts, and sandals/boots.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:44 AM   #14
Anima_Severem

I'm also horribly self-conscious about my legs.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:29 AM   #15
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity View Post
Where are you in Wisconsin?
Right by Milwaukee.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:08 PM   #16
crucifix

I just bought a black short sleeve button down at target with military pockets on clearence. Dammit, yes, I have surrenedered to the hot weather and my lack of hot weather clothes, save for my t shirts I was talking about. I hate shopping. It makes me quite irritable.
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:10 PM   #17
Mauritia Mayer

I don't have too much trouble dressing for the summer - I wear lots of black skirts with camisoles, or black summer dresses, with flats or nice heeled sandals. No velvet, no boots, no thick fabric, and no stockings, except for fishnet which can be quite cool. It's easy to get a simple black summer dress and make it more exciting with jewelry or a nice belt.

If you're self conscious about your legs, may I suggest a long skirt? Those tiered 'boho' skirts are really comfortable for the summer and they were 'in' a few years ago so they have piles at thrift shops. They are pretty hippie-esque but they can work well with a gothy ensemble, especially in black.
Mauritia Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #18
Bakiryu

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucifix View Post
I just wear a t shit and black pants and boots in the summer. Honestly, I don't look that 'goth', so to speak, in the summer. In the fall and winter I look like a future mortician but not nearly as much in the summer. Honestly, it gets so hot here in NC in the summer that as long as I am not sweating like a pig and I am still wearing what I like I don't really care if onlookers don't think I am screaming goth or not.
I know! But somehow last winter wasn't as cold. Even though right now, it is boiling.
Bakiryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:47 PM   #19
Pineapple_Juice

Yeah, and don't forget, you can always get the plain stuff from Ross or Target and then dress it up yourself with lace or iron on designs and shit. S'what I do, but thyen again I'm a tightwad like no other. At least you know you won't be wearing something someone else is wearing, if you have a problem with that.

Way back a long time ago I hated my legs and never showed them ever for any reason. I have weird knees. Anyway what I did to get myself into not wearing pants every bloody day was I got a pair of opaque tights and wore them with a skirt. It was like I was exposing my lesg but I wasn't. Then, further on, I moved to sheer tights, and then I was fine with no tights. As a general principal I wear stockings every day anyway, unless it's really hot or my outfit just looks weird with them, but you can always try it and see what you think. You look at your legs and feel self-conscious. Everyone else looks at them and thinks "legs. So?"

Just think about it.,
Old 06-05-2009, 11:20 PM   #20
Lolly PopMuzik

http://gothsinhotweather.blogspot.com/
Boo-yah.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:00 AM   #21
Haunted House

Cut the sleeves off of an Alien Sex Fiend t-shirt.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:02 AM   #22
Still Jack

Fishnet shirts, and generally anything with holes in. Usually in summer I cut a series of parallel holes in my jeans with a stanley knife. Works great. : )
Still Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #23
Pineapple_Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly PopMuzik View Post
WIN.

mmsg2shrt
Old 06-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #24
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly PopMuzik View Post
Hahaha, I know the third one down (the one with the parasol). She's a friend of a friend and gave me a Siouxsie haircut a few years ago. Fantastic hairdresser.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:54 AM   #25
Bonquisha~Brown

Try wearing fishnets.
All the gothiness you want, and they still breathe.
Bonquisha~Brown is offline   Reply With Quote