Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:57 AM   #1
CptSternn

Talking At least 19 bald eagles die in Alaska

http://news.**********/s/ap/20080112...z8T809jjOs0NUE

KODIAK, Alaska - At least 19 bald eagles died Friday after gorging themselves on a truck full of fish waste outside a processing plant.
ADVERTISEMENT

Fifty or more eagles swarmed into the truck, whose retractable fabric cover was open, after the truck was moved outside the plant, said Brandon Saito, a biologist with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service who coordinated the recovery operation.

The birds became too soiled to fly or clean themselves, and with temperatures in the mid-teens, began to succumb to the cold. Some birds became so weak they sank into the fish slime and were crushed.

The truck's contents had to be dumped onto the floor of the Ocean Beauty Seafoods plant so the birds could be retrieved. Some tried to scatter, but since they couldn't fly, wildlife officers soon retrieved them. The eagles were then cleaned with dish soap in tubs of warm water to remove the oily slime and warm them.

The survivors were taken to a heated fish and wildlife warehouse to recover, though some were in critical condition. Saito said they would be released as soon as they were dry and strong enough.

Come on! You can't write this sort of thing. Irony does not begin to describe it even. Poetic justic maybe?

The living embodiment of the National symbol of America, dies in masse by gorging itself to death.

An animal that literally ate itself to death! It couldn't pull itself away from the food, and made a conscious choice to drown in it's own meal rather than quit eating! (Super Slurm!)

Funny! Well, kinda sad...but still VERY (IRONICALLY) FUNNY!
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:18 PM   #2
Kanedawg

Ew! Poor eagles!
Old 01-14-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
DepthsofSpace

The irony is killing me.. Or, well, them...

Heh, I was wondering why you put a smiley face next to the topic.

Goffs think you have to rip off the wings of a butterfly to show your love.

Goths know that love has already broken the wings of a butterfly on a wheel.
DepthsofSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
Tam Li Hua

I'm not sure I find this ironic so much as sad. I mean, animals getting poisoned because of humanity's stupidity's not really anything new.

I feel more sad for the birds than I do a sense of chagrine over the 'irony' or 'poetic justice', which I don't think either of those things really fits here. It's poetic, but I'm not sure it's justice. Justice would be more like if all the malls in America spontaneously combusted.
Tam Li Hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:32 PM   #5
Lapin

Hey...I like my mall. It has this great movie theater and a giant bookstore. (And, on a shallower note, a Charlotte Russe and an Off-Broadway Shoes)

Anyway, on topic, yes, as someone who works in theater, I see the grand irony and the poetic justice. As someone who generally like animals, I'm upset. And finally, as someone who thinks people are pretty incompetent, I'm really, really not surprised.

Sternn, where do you find this stuff?
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:14 PM   #6
How Low Can You Go Moe

It's no tragedy. I went to see those assholes at the zoo. The avian symbol of the United States was staring into space with its stupid mouth open.

Here's a ponderable: How come animals always manage to die in the most creative ways? You'll never see a human sinking into fishslime.
How Low Can You Go Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:27 AM   #7
Corpsey

Edit that statement. Humans are animals and find more appalling methods to kill themselves and each other just immersing themselves underneath rotting flesh, and if you say that's impossible, some dumb fuck will prove it otherwise.

As an ornithologist and an avid bird lover, I am quite annoyed that someone was stupid enough to allow this to happen to an amazing creature. Anyone who has been to a beach or gone fishing around seagulls could guess as to what could have happened.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:33 AM   #8
dark_dragon_of_ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsey
Edit that statement. Humans are animals and find more appalling methods to kill themselves and each other just immersing themselves underneath rotting flesh, and if you say that's impossible, some dumb fuck will prove it otherwise.

As an ornithologist and an avid bird lover, I am quite annoyed that someone was stupid enough to allow this to happen to an amazing creature. Anyone who has been to a beach or gone fishing around seagulls could guess as to what could have happened.
I'm annoyed that they killed off of lots the Magpie population in wellington. Magpies have the intelligence levels of some apes.
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:48 AM   #9
Corpsey

They're also introduced pests; they enjoy killing off native wildlife and take up other niches inhabited but Native birds. The moment I see a magpie dive-bombing a Tui I bust out my sling-shot and aim true. I loathe magpies in New Zealand with a passion. They may have similar intelligence (proof of intelligence/statistics or comparisons please) of apes but they are in abundance and are killing off kiwiana, and I much prefer the chorus of a Tui than the warble of a magpie right before it tries to smack into my skull.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:13 AM   #10
dark_dragon_of_ice

To what purpose should we save native wild life that shows itself as ether too stupid slow..or the mixture of both and therefore be considered an easy meal by more adaptable creatures.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:02 AM   #11
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by How Low Can You Go Moe

Here's a ponderable: How come animals always manage to die in the most creative ways? You'll never see a human sinking into fishslime.
Yeah, but you'll never see a bald eagle decapitate itself with a homemade guillotine.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:22 AM   #12
Kanedawg

BIRD FIGHT!! Vienneze naturalist, Konrad Lorenz, argued that corvids, (Crows, ravens, magpies, starlings, etc.) were the most intelligent order of birds; more intelligent than raptors. I like them, have rescued crows and starlings, and feed crows sometimes, although they do tend to be aggressive and adaptable and therefore potentially merciless to other species. Not sure if there's a point there but at least most of us care about animals generally. As for the rest.... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 10:34 AM   #13
How Low Can You Go Moe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
Yeah, but you'll never see a bald eagle decapitate itself with a homemade guillotine.
That's true. However, I do know a bald eagle who decapitated someone else with a homemade guillotine. The fuzz never pieced that one together...
Old 01-15-2008, 02:26 PM   #14
Kanedawg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_guillotine_(weapon)
Old 01-15-2008, 03:00 PM   #15
dark_dragon_of_ice

Any way the effects of the magpie are very small compared of that of mammals..And we also had a native raven thats now extinct so maybe the magpie is in a niche the Tui took from the raven.
Magpies are aggressive around their nests and territory..sort of like humans.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #16
Kanedawg

Yeah. As you might know, with only slight variations, crows occupy every ecosystem on the planet. While I understand being concerned over more fragile species, I kind of admire the more adaptable and rugged ones, too.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #17
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by How Low Can You Go Moe
That's true. However, I do know a bald eagle who decapitated someone else with a homemade guillotine. The fuzz never pieced that one together...
And let me guess- you weren't able to testify at the trial because ghosts are inadmissible as witnesses. Prejudice against the undead inhibiting the process of the law once again.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:39 PM   #18
Signe

This is absolutely horrible. Birds dying. That is so extremely sad. I love animals. I hate my grandfather, because we sold him a cat a few years ago and well, he had it put to sleep, because it got ill, but that was just as I was released from the psychiatric clinic, so he did not want to bother anybody with the bad news, because of my mental illness, so I just found out. Animals are so precious to me. I do not eat anything that comes from animals and there is nothing funny about cute birdies dying for fuck sake!
Signe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:41 PM   #19
dark_dragon_of_ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signe
This is absolutely horrible. Birds dying. That is so extremely sad. I love animals. I hate my grandfather, because we sold him a cat a few years ago and well, he had it put to sleep, because it got ill, but that was just as I was released from the psychiatric clinic, so he did not want to bother anybody with the bad news, because of my mental illness, so I just found out. Animals are so precious to me. I do not eat anything that comes from animals and there is nothing funny about cute birdies dying for fuck sake!
Do you know that humans are animals as well.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:04 PM   #20
Kanedawg

Does that mean that we shouldn't eat them? Jest! I agree with you, Signe.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:02 PM   #21
IsolatedReptile

To quote Maddox, for every one you don't eat I'll eat two.
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:09 PM   #22
Kanedawg

As I like to say they're not just for breakfast anymore. :^)
Old 01-15-2008, 06:52 PM   #23
How Low Can You Go Moe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
And let me guess- you weren't able to testify at the trial because ghosts are inadmissible as witnesses. Prejudice against the undead inhibiting the process of the law once again.
I hear ya, brother. Not that I'm a snitch or anything, it's just that even a ghost doesn't want eagles on his bad side. Brrrr...

Seriously, though, with my testimony, that bird woulda fried.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:05 AM   #24
CptSternn

Magpies are common here in Ireland. They are brilliant birds. They grow to be almost two foot long, and are quite large. On top of this, they have a habit of stealing shiny things for their nests.

My mate works on cars, and we used to watch magpies fly down and swipe random screws, chunks of metal, and other bits and bobs that were left out around the area where he works on the cars.

At my in-laws house, I used to watch magpies steal spoons in the back garden almost weekly. They would take a spoon outside to use to get the food from the dog food can. If they left it outside on the small tabele beside the dog pen, you can bet a magpie would swoop down in the next 24 hours and carry off the spoon.

They are cool like that.

They have even tried to steal my wife's dresses off the clothes line - black ones with shiny metal bits always become a target. Luckily, they aren't as adept with dragging off a dress that is clipped tight on a clothes line.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:30 AM   #25
Beneath the Shadows

Sternn, you would find the death of anything attributed to the United States amusing.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote