Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 01-09-2008, 06:09 PM   #1
AngelikDemonik

I don't think Jay Leno wrote this...

I agree with some things in here (how most people are ungrateful brats), but the crap about how we should love Bush because the media is portraying him wrong, and we should make people say the pledge is just stupid. Supposedly Jay Leno wrote this, but I have no idea.

"The other day I was reading Newsweek magazine and came across some poll data I found rather hard to believe. It must be true, given the source, right?

The Newsweek poll alleges that 67 percent of Americans are unhappy with the direction the country is headed, and 69 percent of the country is unhappy with the performance of the President. In essence, 2/3's of the citizenry just ain't happy and want a change.

So being the knuckle dragger I am, I started thinking, ''What are we so unhappy about?''
Is it that we have electricity and running water 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?

Is our unhappiness the result of having air conditioning in the summer and heating in the winter?

Could it be that 95.4 percent of these unhappy folks have a job?

Maybe it is the ability to walk into a grocery store at any time, and see more food in moments than Darfur has seen in the last year?

Maybe it is the ability to drive from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean without having to present identification papers as we move through each state?

Or possibly the hundreds of clean and safe motels we would find along the way that can provide temporary shelter?

I guess having thousands of restaurants with varying cuisine from around the world is just not good enough.

Or could it be that when we wreck our car, emergency workers show up and
Provide services to help all, and even send a helicopter to take you to the hospital.

Perhaps you are one of the 70 percent of Americans who own a home. You may be upset with knowing that in the unfortunate case of a fire, a group of trained firefighters will appear in moments and use top notch equipment to extinguish the flames thus saving you, your family and your belongings.

Or if, while at home watching one of your many flat screen TVs, a burglar or prowler intrudes , an officer equipped with a gun and a bullet-proof vest will come to defend you and your family against attack or loss.

This all in the backdrop of a neighborhood free of bombs or militias ****** and pillaging the residents. Neighborhoods where 90 percent of teenagers own cell phones and computers.

How about the complete religious, social and political freedoms we enjoy that are the envy of everyone in the world?

Maybe that is what has 67 percent of you folks unhappy.

Fact is, we are the largest group of ungrateful, spoiled brats the world has ever seen. No wonder the world loves the U.S. , yet has a great disdain for its citizens. They see us for what we are. The most blessed people in the world who do nothing but complain about what we don't have , and what we hate about the country instead of thanking the good Lord we live here.

I know, I know. What about the President who took us into war and has no plan to get us out? The President who has a measly 31 percent approval rating? Is this the same President who guided the nation in the dark days after 9/11? The President that cut taxes to bring an economy out of recession? Could this be the same guy who has been called every name in the book for succeeding in keeping all the spoiled ungrateful brats safe from terrorist attacks?

The Commander-In Chief of an all-volunteer army that is out there defending you and me? Did you hear how bad the President is on the news or talk show? Did this news affect you so much, make you so unhappy you couldn't take a look around for yourself and see all the good things and be glad?

Think about it...are you upset at the President because he actually caused you personal pain OR is it because the "Media" told you he was failing to kiss your sorry ungrateful behind every day.

Make no mistake about it. The troops in Iraq and Afghanistan have volunteered to serve, and in many cases may have died for your freedom. There is currently no draft in this country. They didn't have to go.

They are able to refuse to go and end up with either a ''general'' discharge, an ''other than honorable'' discharge or, worst case scenario, a ''dishonorable'' discharge after a few days in the brig.

So why then the flat-out discontentment in the minds of 69 percent of Americans? Say what you want, but I blame it on the media. If it bleeds, it leads; and they specialize in bad news. Everybody will watch a car crash with blood and guts. How many will watch kids selling lemonade at the corner? The media knows this and media outlets are for-profit corporations. They offer what sells , and when criticized, try to defend their actions by "justifying" them in one way or another. Just ask why they tried to allow a murderer like O.J. Simpson to write a book about "how he didn't kill his wife, but if he did he would have done it this way"...Insane!

Stop buying the negativism you are fed everyday by the media. Shut off the TV, burn Newsweek, and use the New York Times for the bottom of your bird cage. Then start being grateful for all we have as a country. There is exponentially more good than bad.

We are among the most blessed people on Earth, and should thank God several times a day, or at least be thankful and appreciative.

"With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, "Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"

Jay Leno
2007"
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #2
Rorschach Twin

There's no way he wrote that.
Rorschach Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
KontanKarite

He can go fuck himself.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:44 PM   #4
gothicusmaximus

Quite frankly retarded, and probably, as you suspected, not written by Jay Leno, but rather by some asshole who attached a famous name to his inane ramblings in order to supplement their circulation on these here intarwebs. The piece was too unbearably dumb for me to study thoroughly, but as I understand it, the author generally suggests that because Americans have it better than the citizens of some other countries, we have no right to lobby for improvement? That notion is idiotic. He also purports that Bush is owed praise for managing to not plunge us into a new dark age- I'm sorry, but I was under the impression that the President is supposed to aid the nation in achieving greater prosperity, not just make it two terms without getting us nuked. Bush "guided us" through the "dark days of 9/11"? Even assuming that the president didn't ignore intelligence information which could have allowed us to preempt the terrorist attacks, Osama bin Laden is still out there, and the Taliban is on the rise again. The final paragraph is perhaps the most obscenely stupid- yep, marshall the Tribulation Force, here comes Armageddon.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:06 PM   #5
gothicusmaximus

I've drafted a Concept Sketch of the author:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...hesecolors.jpg
Old 01-09-2008, 07:19 PM   #6
Godslayer Jillian

I agree with Gothicusmaximus but I still want to repeat it in different words.
None of those things mentioned were a product of the Bush administration. What? Should we be happy with whoever is seated in the White House just because they have managed to not fuck up the country in astronomical ways?
So just because you have three cars you shouldn't feel angry someone bashed one of them?
Besides, how egocentric and ethnocentric is it that he believes we shouldn't whine because we have it made? We cannot demand equality and liberty for those under worse conditions than ourselves? Can't we demand everyone to be treated as human? Should only trees speak against deforestation?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:59 AM   #7
AngelikDemonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
I've drafted a Concept Sketch of the author:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...hesecolors.jpg
I was thinking more along the lines of this:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6o4s6ep&s=1
Old 01-10-2008, 08:58 AM   #8
IsolatedReptile

He also decided not to mention that we have the right to not be happy with the leader we elect. The right to protest this leader. The right to say what it is we think, including, disapproving of his leadership skills.

It makes me upset when someone decides to go on a rant about people stating their opinion that digresses from their own, and mention all of the freedoms we have then ignore one of the freedoms that make us so great: free speech.
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:26 AM   #9
Drake Dun

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/hitnail.asp

Oh, and for the record, when you go half way around the planet to murder foreigners on their own soil so that some rich cynic in whose character you have total faith in spite of the fact that you have never even met him can steal their natural resources and one of said foreigners shoots you, you have died as an enemy of freedom. Not a defender. Your ignorance may excuse you in some small way, but it does not make you a hero.

And for my next magic trick, I will teach Christian conservatives how to distinguish the number 3 from a snickers bar.

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:23 PM   #10
jestercel85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake Dun

Oh, and for the record, when you go half way around the planet to murder foreigners on their own soil so that some rich cynic in whose character you have total faith in spite of the fact that you have never even met him can steal their natural resources and one of said foreigners shoots you, you have died as an enemy of freedom. Not a defender. Your ignorance may excuse you in some small way, but it does not make you a hero.
Thank you oh so much for that I am in complete agreement with that sentiment.
jestercel85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:50 PM   #11
gothicusmaximus

Heh, I went worldnetdaily.com, on which website the article was originally posted, and subsequently followed an advertisement banner to 'ThoseShirts.com', which peddles these gems:

http://www.thoseshirts.com/wtr.html

http://www.thoseshirts.com/pave.html

http://www.thoseshirts.com/coulter.html

http://www.thoseshirts.com/topten.html

I must admit I do enjoy the irony of this one, though:

http://www.thoseshirts.com/checap.html
Old 01-10-2008, 02:11 PM   #12
Kanedawg

Although I don't watch it myself, I know someone who watches Leno because he bashes Bush all the time. Unless this is no longer the case. I was pretty well involved in the alternative media for a time, writing for an alternative newsweekly, and I really do not trust the corporate media, such as Newsweek. This is pretty out there all said, but little surprises me anymore.
Kanedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:25 PM   #13
Beneath the Shadows

That entire piece of rubbish can be summed up easily... "Most of you have almost everything you want, so if your government decides to takes several strides toward fascism you should be okay with it."

Which, of course, is a load of bull shit.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:39 PM   #14
Kanedawg

No doubt. "Quit yer bellyachin', you pansies!"
Old 01-10-2008, 06:53 PM   #15
AngelikDemonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
Heh, I went worldnetdaily.com, on which website the article was originally posted, and subsequently followed an advertisement banner to 'ThoseShirts.com', which peddles these gems:

http://www.thoseshirts.com/wtr.html

http://www.thoseshirts.com/pave.html

http://www.thoseshirts.com/coulter.html

http://www.thoseshirts.com/topten.html

I must admit I do enjoy the irony of this one, though:

http://www.thoseshirts.com/checap.html
WTF....Pave the whales?!

Not that this would make me a better person than her, but if I EVER see Ann Coulter on the street, I will curb-stomp her face into banana pudding.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:02 PM   #16
Kanedawg

What a cunt. Banana pudding is good with vanilla wafers. :^)
Old 01-11-2008, 04:27 PM   #17
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I agree Jay Leno didn't write this. Someone else wrote this and attached their name to it.

But we have a right to say we despise what the Bush admin. has done to this country. And just because we have all the comforts we can imagine doesn't mean we don't deserve to say "Hey, the Bush admin. fucked up and we want something done about it." I mean yeah, in a weird way the author has a point. We have so much more than other countries, and we should celebrate those things more often sometimes, but otherwise, the author needs to take a chill pill.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:39 AM   #18
Kanedawg

Yes we have more than we know in this country. One of the awful things however is that we the people seem to have little or no control over what our government does to other countries. (Any connection in this regard to 9-11?!) A lot of what we have comes about by way of what we have lost, too. We have very cheap commodities thanks to overseas labor and materials, and have lost a lot of decent-paying jobs in the process.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:16 AM   #19
CptSternn

This is another one of those mass emails being sent by right-wing idiots.

There is an almost identical thread here:

https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=1719

That someone posted a few years back claiming it was from Robin Williams. It too, was not by the person the email claimed, and had many right-wing comments that were supposed to be more believable since they attach a popular culture name to them.

This email which is supposed to be from Leno is also a hoax. See here:

CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:06 AM   #20
ArtificialOne

It's a good article and what we should be grateful for. I for one would like to see more positive news for a change. I mean, if people are fed throught the media tons and tons of negative BS it makes people depressed after awhile. I geuss that's why so many of the older people I work with have stopped watching the news and reading the newspaper. Day after day, **** after ****, death after death, bad news after bad news. You'd have to be a bloddy care bear for that stuff not to take a toll on you. Sure Bush hasn't been a good pres, but do you think that if the media wasn't so negative 99.9% of the time many would still have the same opinion of him?

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
http://www.myspace.com/lifeasartificial
ArtificialOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:51 AM   #21
Drake Dun

I agree about the press being wilfully bleak, and that they enjoy ripping politicians and especially the President up - in some ways. Usually the wrong ways, I'm afraid. However, I don't think that Bush has been treated any more unfairly than his predecessors.

I'm not an analyst, but my gut instinct is that his low approval rating has mainly to do with foreign affairs. People know they've been had.

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:15 PM   #22
CptSternn

You make it sound like nothing bad is happening and they are just making this stuff up. People are dying daily because of decisions the US government is making. People are suffering in even greater numbers. Just because it bothers you that the people you support and the policies they have enacted caused this strife doesn't mean the media should turn a blind eye.

I think the US media needs to have even more in depth coverage, like Al Jezzera does. If Americans could see what a school yard full of dead children killed by US bombs looks like, they might not be so gung-ho on dropping them everywhere.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:25 PM   #23
ArtificialOne

Well, I'd like you to come up with evidence to back up the us's bombing schoolyards. Such as pictures, chemical analysis and such to prove that US made explosives were involved.

And I'm talking more of the daily BS the media spins on local events such as murders and robberies.

And I'm also sure I didn't make it sound, or come close to saying anything like that there isn't bad stuff happening around the world.

I do believe that certain people are blowing things out of proportion to further their own power by trying to demonize to the max whatever side happens to be in power at the moment.

Haven't you ever been in a bad situation that EVERYONE knows is bad but then there's a dumbf*ck screaming and bellyaching about how bad the situation is, and only makes everyone MOORE miserable than normally would have been becuase they can't shove a sock in it?

And knowing the big US basher/hater you are, I'd like you to maybe once point out some other countries policies that are also killing many hundreds or thousands of people a year. Could you be balanced? Probably not. Your american hate derangement syndrome has you blind to everything else.

And since when did the people appoint the media to be our conscience? I happen to think the mass media is powerdrunk.

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
http://www.myspace.com/lifeasartificial
ArtificialOne is offline   Reply With Quote