Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 03-23-2006, 07:52 PM   #101
Jane13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
Yeah, Jane 13 is back!
HI there! ^.^ I didn't purposely leave, I just have lot of homework lately and I haven't had much to say.

As for the comment of Galileo... why is it modern Catholics are being bludgeoned in the head for ideas that our church held centuries ago? Are today's scientists as a whole condemned for their ideas that black people and white people have incompatible bloodtypes? Or that making people with illnesses bleed will get rid of their "bad blood"? Or that letting meat rot in a certain place for a certain ammount of time will "create" flies?

Pope John Paul II gave a formal oppology to Galileo, Leonardo DeVinci and many others that were persecuted for their scientific theories. Notice how much Catholics loved that pope? I sure do (except for his refusal to accept gay marriage but that's another thing). In fact, our church today has no problem even with teaching evolution. TODAY Catholics do not beleive the world is flat, nor do they beleive in a geocentric universe. Thank you.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:19 PM   #102
bjork_freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimreaper993
I find that the Cristian religon is way to controling.Its almost like those "My way or the highway" things. I was born in a genarally Buddhist area so I was raised as a Buddhist. So im not christian. Do I go to hell? I hate it when people go around telling me "ZOMG!!!!! YOUR NOT CHRISTIAN? YOUR GOING TO HELL!!!!111ONEONEONE" My entire family was buddhist so im inclined to it. Christians keep saying that Jesus said he is the only way to God. Where you there? I doubt that. God is suposed to send sinners to hell. Not people of other religion. Shouln'dt I go to heaven for being a good person? And they tell us that human nature is satanic! Lust: God GAVE us lust. In the Garden of Eden, god punished Eve for sinning by making her love Adam greatly. Therefore creating lust. So what the hell? I just had to get this out, and I find that this board is the best one.
According to the bible, God judges us on what we know. I think it's when a person knows what they are doing is wrong and continues to do it is when he judges them based on that. As for the Christians that ridicule people of other religions, they are just being ignorant. You aren't a sinner because you're a Buddhist, you're just practicing what you were brought up to be. Where did you hear that lust was a sin?
bjork_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:43 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane13
HI there! ^.^ I didn't purposely leave, I just have lot of homework lately and I haven't had much to say.

As for the comment of Galileo... why is it modern Catholics are being bludgeoned in the head for ideas that our church held centuries ago? Are today's scientists as a whole condemned for their ideas that black people and white people have incompatible bloodtypes? Or that making people with illnesses bleed will get rid of their "bad blood"? Or that letting meat rot in a certain place for a certain ammount of time will "create" flies?

Pope John Paul II gave a formal oppology to Galileo, Leonardo DeVinci and many others that were persecuted for their scientific theories. Notice how much Catholics loved that pope? I sure do (except for his refusal to accept gay marriage but that's another thing). In fact, our church today has no problem even with teaching evolution. TODAY Catholics do not beleive the world is flat, nor do they beleive in a geocentric universe. Thank you.
Hey Jane13. When I mentioned that thing about Galileo, I was just commenting on how the Christian church has been controlling in the past. I think it is important to remember the history when you are talking about a topic like this.
I didn't mean for it to be critical of modern day Christians, indeed your post proves that the historical indiscretions have been rectified by modern day Christians, so it would be absurd of me to be critical.
I wasn't commenting on the church as it is now. A lot of things have changed for the better since Galileo's time. And I also agree that Pope John Paul II was a great Pope and one of the greatest philanthropists of the 20th century.
I will try to be clearer next time.
655322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:31 PM   #104
Godslayer Jillian

Hey, speaking about John Paul II, I remembered something interesting I saw in Saturday Night Live:
"Homosexuality was finally condemned by and old, lonely guy in a cape"
I makes me laugh

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:24 PM   #105
Jane13

Perfectly alright 655322... I sometimes get defensive and jump at things like that... thank you for being so understanding! I really do appreciate it.

Also, I completely understand what you're saying about the abuses that the church has inflicted on the world, many of which were absolutely, undeniably wrong (Spanish Inquisition, etc...).
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Old 03-24-2006, 08:42 PM   #106
Empty_Purple_Stars

" NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!!"

Sorry, couldn't help it..

*backs away slowly*
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:56 PM   #107
Jane13

HAHAHA! "The comphy chair!"
-Cinema Strange
Old 03-24-2006, 09:10 PM   #108

Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Had to be said E_P_S

Jane13, thanks. I think as long as people like you and me know the history and don't let the abuses happen again, we'll be ok.
655322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:00 AM   #109
Empty_Purple_Stars

" Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise....

I'll come in again.”

Old 03-25-2006, 12:49 AM   #110
4mytribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimreaper993
I find that the Cristian religon is way to controling.Its almost like those "My way or the highway" things. I was born in a genarally Buddhist area so I was raised as a Buddhist. So im not christian. Do I go to hell? I hate it when people go around telling me "ZOMG!!!!! YOUR NOT CHRISTIAN? YOUR GOING TO HELL!!!!111ONEONEONE" My entire family was buddhist so im inclined to it. Christians keep saying that Jesus said he is the only way to God. Where you there? I doubt that. God is suposed to send sinners to hell. Not people of other religion. Shouln'dt I go to heaven for being a good person? And they tell us that human nature is satanic! Lust: God GAVE us lust. In the Garden of Eden, god punished Eve for sinning by making her love Adam greatly. Therefore creating lust. So what the hell? I just had to get this out, and I find that this board is the best one.
Dude thank God you live in a Christian country try it in a Muslim Country.

wow
4mytribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:52 AM   #111
4mytribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Kid, you should have the utmost respect for those strong enough to have faith in something greater than themselves. Faith is a hard thing to have, especially when all your friends are against it. I know it seems cool to hate god, but look into it a little. Read the bible a couple of times. Think about it on your own, and then decide.

I'm not trying to make you a Christian, I just wish more people had respect for Christians. It's not a bad thing, nor is being a member of any other (non-cult) religion.
I agree that faith is hard but I think we should stand up to faith. We shouldnt take faith at its word but take it to the test. If your belief is strong and true then you can see see the other side of the debate without worry and come out clean.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:53 AM   #112
4mytribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shi'ark
This got me thinking.

It’s ridiculous to hate God because God is some thing that may not be there and if he is then he is some thing completely beyond earthly understanding. You should only from an opinion bassed on the actions on those who believe they act for God.
Wow gonna mix some more pot with my crack and figure that out.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:56 AM   #113
4mytribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shi'ark
Here’s the thing. Those of you who like sociology will get a kick out of this one. What has religion mainly been used for over the thousands of years of Human cultural evolution.

Social control: a pretty good tool of the people in power to tell those who are not what they can and can’t do.

Christianity: Too controling? Is there a big religion that isn’t.

What do you think?
Can't argue with any of that. I believe in God and have some Christian leanings but your dead on.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:10 AM   #114
4mytribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnixxFilth
Hey, there are still people today in civilized societies who think the earth is flat!
Thats very interesting as I came across a something on them and they didnt seem stupid but their wrong as mathmatics dictates .....

Oh well
Old 03-25-2006, 01:14 AM   #115
4mytribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjork_freak
According to the bible, God judges us on what we know. I think it's when a person knows what they are doing is wrong and continues to do it is when he judges them based on that. As for the Christians that ridicule people of other religions, they are just being ignorant. You aren't a sinner because you're a Buddhist, you're just practicing what you were brought up to be. Where did you hear that lust was a sin?
The bible is something I am fluent on it says point fact (if you take the new testament into account) there is only one way to the father but by Jesus Christ.

So what up with that? So if your just like some ignorant peasant in India and you've never heard of Jesus tough luck. You know I've argued this with the best and there is no biblical answer.

Not saying that Christianity is wrong but damn thats a big loop hole and I freakin preached in a church.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:38 AM   #116
succubus,queenofvampires

I've heard that most religions believe in the same God, but they pray to him through different people. ( Jesus, Muhammad...)
Any truth to this??
succubus,queenofvampires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:36 AM   #117
dead_roses

i agree Christianity is too controling.and Catholicism
dead_roses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 10:13 AM   #118
horrorgirl

I think that ALL major religions can be controlling when it comes to certain sects and denominations. There are always going to be people that interpret holy texts in such a way as to further their own beliefs. If they are filled with hate then they are going to say that the Bible/Koran,etc..., tells them to be hateful.

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:55 PM   #119
Queenofdarkness57

If Christianity is too controlling, how can one decribe Islam?
Old 03-25-2006, 01:05 PM   #120
Empty_Purple_Stars

You make a very good point..

I think Americans as a whole, have become a bit spoiled in our perceptions of what True Religious Control really means in other parts of the world.

Oh and you're still pretty.

Old 03-25-2006, 01:09 PM   #121
Queenofdarkness57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Purple_Stars
You make a very good point..

I think Americans as a whole, have become a bit spoiled in our perceptions of what True Religious Control really means in other parts of the world.

Oh and you're still pretty.

I'm really optimistic. I always search for the positive side in everything. Thanks hehe* blush* I love your avvy! * smooch to my Auntie*
Old 03-25-2006, 02:10 PM   #122
Godslayer Jillian

Do muslims believe anyone that doesn't believe Muhammed was a prophet will go to hell?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:14 PM   #123
Queenofdarkness57

Do Christians believe that females should be inferior to males? I don't think so. That's pretty controlling in my opinion. Women can't show their arms, their feet, their heads. The reason of their existence is simply to be their sex slaves and produce babies(very often)
Old 03-25-2006, 02:20 PM   #124
Saya

The Bible states many times that women were created to serve men.

While many Muslims do believe non-believers will go to hell, its not black and white, it differs just like Christians. Muhammad said "Those who show compassion on earth shall be shown compassion in heaven." The Koran is very liberal, allowing women many rights, such as the right to divorce her husband, but there is another book in Islam,the Hadith,in which there are laws taken as "interpretations" of the Koran. It was made by sexist holy men and they themselves warned agaisnt taking it to law, but unfortunately it seems that its deemed more important than the Koran sometimes.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:23 PM   #125
Jane13

Quote:
Originally Posted by succubus,queenofvampires
I've heard that most religions believe in the same God, but they pray to him through different people. ( Jesus, Muhammad...)
Any truth to this??
Yes, it is. We all beleive in the same innitial god (Which the Christians call "God the Father") The first part of the bible (old testament) is comprised of ancient Jewish texts, the New Testiment comes from writings by the desciples of Jesus. The old testiment, and some of the new testiment are found in the Muslim holey book, the Quran. The Muslims beleive that Jesus was a prophet, the Jewish God is the only god (no trinity), and that Muhammed was a prophet who was so holey that he ascended into heaven.

655322, I agree ^^ That's why history is important.

On a side note... 4mytribe kinda talks a lot >.>
-Cinema Strange