Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 03-27-2006, 10:18 PM   #1
bunnicula

Question Christian Goths

Does anyone consider themselves a Christian and a goth? And I mean a "practicing" Christian- church going, traditional values and beliefs, etc. I am not one, but I am curious.

I have never thought these two modes of thought (Christianity and goth) could coexist in the same person- it seems a strange juxtoposition.

I have also met straight-edge goths, which I found to be unusual, but maybe it is more common than I thought.

Any thoughts?
bunnicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
tenet_2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnicula
I have never thought these two modes of thought (Christianity and goth) could coexist in the same person- it seems a strange juxtoposition.
That is fucking ignorant and stupid.

Grow-up.

--Geisha
tenet_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 10:28 PM   #3
Magpie_Tendencies

I'm Catholic. I'm not overly religious but I do go to church on the big celebrations such as Easter and Christmas. I go to a Catholic school and we have a mass about once a term. I've done my confirmation and when I go to church I always recieve communion.

I don't think that being goth has anything to do with religion. There are always people who take both things to the extreme and goths who hate catholics and vice versa. I've certainly recieved some odd looks at church. But people rarely say anything and they realise that I'm just there for the same reason they are.

Can I ask why you found straight-edge goths unusual?
Old 03-27-2006, 10:28 PM   #4
Shi'ark

My brothers a Christian. He isn’t a Goth though he thinks of him self as a metaler. He believes that in hell they don’t play heavy metal, they play Christian-rock all the time because every one hates it. It’s certainly his idea of hell.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:31 PM   #5
Magpie_Tendencies

Your brother sounds cool. I like his idea of hell .
Old 03-27-2006, 10:35 PM   #6
tenet_2012

In hell, they eat your face over and over and over...

--Geisha
Old 03-27-2006, 11:06 PM   #7
bunnicula

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenet_2012
That is fucking ignorant and stupid.

Grow-up.
Wow. How nice. If you think I am ignorant, educate me please. That is why I started this thread.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:14 PM   #8
tenet_2012

[quote=bunnicula]
Quote:
Wow. How nice. If you think I am ignorant, educate me please. That is why I started this thread.
Ok then, do you consider yourself a goth?

Do you know any other goths?

Goths come from all walks of life. It is ignorant to even think that the merger of christianity and goth is an oxymoron.

I can't even come-up with any possible evidence of such a statement.

Rob Zombie is pretty much gothic. He is a Catholic. He goes to church every Sunday.

--Geisha
Old 03-27-2006, 11:16 PM   #9
Magpie_Tendencies

Bunnincula - Why do you find straight-edge goths strange?
Old 03-27-2006, 11:18 PM   #10
bunnicula

The reason I found straight edge goths unusual, is that I have only met one in my life. She is one of the coolest people I have met. I have also never met a self-proclaimed goth who also considered him or herself a traditional Christian.

I was raised a Catholic, but chose not to be confirmed. For some reason, I don't really know why, I have never been friends with people who considered themselves to be religious in any conventional sense.

The reason I find it surprising that someone would be goth and Christian is mostly because I have never met one, and also because of the rebellious, often anti-establishment, countercultural beliefs of many goths, which seem to contradict church-going traditional values.

I understand that early Christian thought was in fact rebellious, but today it is often about following the rules and nothing more.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:25 PM   #11
Mood

I'm not overly sure if I would call myself Goth, but I am a pretty pious Catholic. Always have been.

I really don't see how one has much to do with the other.
Mood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:25 PM   #12
tenet_2012

I'm straight-edge.

I enjoy being so. I also consider myself a goth.

--Geisha
Old 03-27-2006, 11:29 PM   #13
bunnicula

[quote][quote=tenet_2012]
Quote:

Ok then, do you consider yourself a goth?

Do you know any other goths?

Goths come from all walks of life. It is ignorant to even think that the merger of christianity and goth is an oxymoron.

I can't even come-up with any possible evidence of such a statement.

Rob Zombie is pretty much gothic. He is a Catholic. He goes to church every Sunday.
Well, I don't really consider myself anything. I share a lot of interests with people who call themselves goth.

I know some goths, but not many. Most of my friends are artists, musicians, writers, or academic types, but not part of any "scene." The ones (goths) I know are agnostic, atheist, secular humanist, wiccan, or have eclectic or esoteric beliefs.

I didn't say it was an oxymoron. I said it was an unusual combination. I have (until recently) equated Christianity with conformity, and have thought that goth or other counterculture movements were associated with free thinking, nonconformity and existentialism. How would a Christian goth reconcile the idea of conformity and tradition with the rebellion and free-thinking associated with counterculture movements.

I am not talking about just believing in the teachings of Jesus Christ, but actually being a member of a Church and practicing traditional Christian values.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:34 PM   #14
psychopenguin

meh.. Bunnicula I see what you are saying. A lot of times Goths are viewed as liberals and anarchists thusly against (or at least not involved in) organized religion. Perhaps a few years ago the majority of goths were so but seeing as how the populus is constantly growing that isn't quite so true anymore. It seems that self proclaimed goths are now from every sect of social and religious status these days. A gothic christian unusual? Not so much. ^^
psychopenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:44 PM   #15
bunnicula

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopenguin
meh.. Bunnicula I see what you are saying. A lot of times Goths are viewed as liberals and anarchists thusly against (or at least not involved in) organized religion. Perhaps a few years ago the majority of goths were so but seeing as how the populus is constantly growing that isn't quite so true anymore. It seems that self proclaimed goths are now from every sect of social and religious status these days. A gothic christian unusual? Not so much. ^^

Ok. Thank you. That explains some things for me. I guess I am more of the "old school" type of thinking. I am over 25, don't go to clubs, don't have many goth friends, so I am kind of out of the loop when it comes to the new ideas in the scene. I only recently started posting on this board, and before that I rarely ever did anything online except downloading music. So I have basically been living under a rock.

When I was in high school and college, all the "goth" kids were very anti-everything but educated about it, as opposed to the "punk" kids, who just liked to fuck shit up. The "mansonite" trend was nonexistant and the Church and the Government were seen as the Enemy.

Maybe I have always assumed that people who were inclined to think for themselves would automatically reject organized religion.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:14 AM   #16
psychopenguin

I'm more than glad that I could help. ^_^ Things change rather quickly now 'days. I understand how you could be a little confused. Even I get confused with the "going-ons" of todays youth and I still am one. >.<
psychopenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:35 AM   #17
succubus,queenofvampires

I'm not exactly a devout Christian,but I'm still one.
I attend a Catholic school, and even though I don't go to church that often, I still pray and go on Easter and Christmas...
succubus,queenofvampires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:39 AM   #18
tekajo

i found this, ChristianGoth.com, a couple of years ago.

Strange.
tekajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 01:55 AM   #19
bunnicula

Have you felt judged? Have you felt misunderstood? Have you felt alone? I think we all have. We need to stop acting like Christians and start acting like Christ!! Christ not only accepted these kinds of people, but he looked for them. He was excited that he had the directions to life as they went down the road to death. What was it that Jesus had? Love and acceptance. He was God and knew what it felt like to be rejected.[quote]

The Black Sheep

Once there lived a little sheep,

who went a different way. Some would say

the sheep was black, or that he went astray.

Because he thought so differently he soon was cast aside.

His heart was very heavy and lonely deep inside.

But then the Shepherd found him and drew him to his side.

He felt so safe to share his heart; confessing while he cried.

At last the sheep felt special - he now was fully known

by the lamb who became our Shepherd and claimed us for his own.

Anne Peterson

*__________*___________[quote]

from Christiangoth.com

Good link, tekajo. Thanks. I found the above quotes to be particularly relevant. I imagine that is what draws goths into Christianity, assuming they had strayed from it at one point.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:32 AM   #20
TheKorovaMilkbar

Quote:
The reason I found straight edge goths unusual, is that I have only met one in my life. She is one of the coolest people I have met. I have also never met a self-proclaimed goth who also considered him or herself a traditional Christian.

I was raised a Catholic, but chose not to be confirmed. For some reason, I don't really know why, I have never been friends with people who considered themselves to be religious in any conventional sense.

The reason I find it surprising that someone would be goth and Christian is mostly because I have never met one, and also because of the rebellious, often anti-establishment, countercultural beliefs of many goths, which seem to contradict church-going traditional values.

I understand that early Christian thought was in fact rebellious, but today it is often about following the rules and nothing more.
I'm gonna respond to each paragraph seperately.

First: I'm as straight edge as they come. Those who know me, say it as well. And all of those know me as a goth.

Second: I'm catholic, not a bible thumper, and I'm still open to others beliefs, but catholic nonetheless. I wear my cross with dignity.

Third: This is not goth you're describing. It's punk. Big difference. To quote Goth with a Sledgehammer, "The culture was comprised of INDIVIDUALS with very little in common but their artistic drive, insatiable curiosity, extreme intellectualism, and the socially unacceptable need to be and express themselves."

Four: Says who? Those who follow blindly? They're not very good sources, are they?

Oh, and we do already have a thread for this in General.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:47 AM   #21
Sanctus Dei

Um.. not to undermine the quest for knowledge or anything, but seriously.... is this topic valid enough to necesitate an entire fucking thread?

(Plus... as Korova has stated there's a thread for this already with a wider subject matter)
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 04:53 AM   #22
Shi'ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanctus Dei
Um.. not to undermine the quest for knowledge or anything, but seriously.... is this topic valid enough to necesitate an entire fucking thread?

(Plus... as Korova has stated there's a thread for this already with a wider subject matter)
Well it is talking about something I don’t thinks been discuss much. I never thought about Christians being a part of the sub-culture, so let’s talk about it.

So Sen what do you think?
Old 03-28-2006, 04:56 AM   #23
tenet_2012

Damn, Sanctus, you're awake early.

Or haven't you gone to bed, yet?

--Geisha
Old 03-28-2006, 05:09 AM   #24
Sanctus Dei

Nope, no bed... overight shift, and I'm cranky.

SHI'ARK... I FUCKING REPEAT... THERE IS A THREAD FOR THIS SHIT ALREADY.

Can I put the bullhorn down now or do you get it?
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 05:11 AM   #25
Shi'ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanctus Dei

SHI'ARK... I FUCKING REPEAT... THERE IS A THREAD FOR THIS SHIT ALREADY.

Can I put the bullhorn down now or do you get it?
Well that was over the top…