Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

View Poll Results: Goth.... Born or Made....
I believe a person is born gothic in nature.... 74 54.81%
I beleive a person metamorphs or evolves into a goth..... 61 45.19%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2006, 09:15 PM   #151
Sobeh

I'm Goth as Fuck, because it says so
<----- right over there!

(this post will eventually look pretty stupid when the label swaps over, but maybe it's good for a smirk or something)

First and foremost I see Goth as a subculture. This means, as with all cultures, that there is a measure of acceptance by the culture required in order for a valid statement of "I am Goth". It is unfortunate that many people have an entitlement mentality, such that they claim the 'right' to call themselves Goth despite lack of involvement with the culture itself. To call oneself by a (sub-)cultural label when the majority of the culture in question doesn't recognize your claim is a poor place to be.

But it's late and I may be rambling. In the end, I suppose I think that Goth fashion and music is an expression of a particular Weltenschauung which one might come across on one's own, or be exposed to through school or friends. The only thing not condoned as far as I can ascertain is taking on Goth accoutremont for superficial purposes.

The closest thing to a Goth commandment is authenticity, I guess.

Wow I'm tired. Coffee's up!
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:28 PM   #152
Sanctus Dei

I think I've already spilled my story once, but hey why not add? As far back as I can remember I've been adverse to the 'in' shit. I took solace in the world of the internet, horror movies and dark music. People such as Jerry Only, Rob Zombie, (and back in the early days of Smells like Children) Marilyn Manson (ofcourse I grew out of that quick). I think a good portion of this was around the age 12 or 13. I ran a BBS (back before the crazy world of AOL destroyed the system) called Death Valley for quite awhile (yes at age 14) and discovered a whole culture that thought and lived the way I did. Quite a few GT's (get togethers) later I had learned a plethera of information I wasn't previously aware of... then I discovered Darkwave (thanks to the wonders of a music store position) it's pure history from there. I was a Vampire before it was deemed "cool" a straight goth... wore the black trench the black clothes... etc. Forever I wondered if it was just a trend, or a growing pain but it never went away. So here I am, loving the dark and morbid things the world has to offer, and I'd say I'm blessed.
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 12:53 AM   #153
aspendeath

That long list of different social problems in one of the early posts on the first page applies to much more subcultures than Goths. Some fat/ugly people become punks or feminists or whatever, same thing with rich people and those that were molested.

Even if there is a trigger, there has to be something within that would draw a person towards this particular subculture.
aspendeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:37 AM   #154
Sanctus Dei

Well yeah... Rozz Williams.

Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

Old 04-15-2006, 10:27 AM   #155
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

This whole questions, to me, smacks of a kind of social darwinism. It reminds me of the late 19th and early 20th century conceptions of nationality and race. Wheres the Western European and American nations (i.e. Great Britain, France, the United States) seemed to be of the mind that as long as you were willing to assimilate, play by the rules and gain citizenship, you were part of that nation. Central and Eastern Europe (i.e. Germany, Austria, Hungary, Russia, the Balkan peninsula, etc.) believed that blood was the more important factor. For example, in Germany it did not matter how many generations of your family lived and died within the Fatherland, if you were not of Teutonic ancestry you could not become a German citizen, whereas in Great Britain or the U.S. you could be indoctrinated if you met certain criteria.

Now, as I see it, the question of "Born or made a goth" is no different. Were your parents goth? Have you tried to assimilate into the gothic subculture? How would one, if it were possible, assimilate? I suppose it all depends on your perspective. This board seems to be equally split between the two views. I personally prefer the Western European and American ideals. My parents weren't goth, my baby blanket was blue, and I often prefer tones of British Khaki to black in my wardrobe, but by God I'll be a goth if I want to! Assimilation at its finest, as, from what I can tell, it seems to be harder to integrate into the goth subculture than most nations. The Western values at work.

Down with the Dreikaiderbund! Vive Le France, God Bless America and Rule Britannia!
Old 04-15-2006, 10:49 AM   #156
Sanctus Dei

^^^^^ Best answer yet.

Old 04-15-2006, 11:37 AM   #157
thetiesonyourcorset

i agree with the born a goth theory and the fucked up theory! I myself, have always love dark things such as Vampires and blood and all that kind of stuff, always loved horror and vampire films and stuff like that. I have roleplayed online as vampires and as vampire slayers,lol (yes both because i love Buffy The Vampire Slayer and i also love vampires) and as Witches too! i would love to be able to do real magic but i don't think i have it in me because i've tried... i'd also love to be a tarrot card reader and all that kind of stuff, my best friend Natalie does that and i've had mine read when i stayed at Amanda's house with her on Amanda's birthday and it all seemed to really answer the question i asked so i do believe in that stuff to a certain extent!

*Blowing a kiss all over the world* Aren't i nice?
thetiesonyourcorset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 11:43 AM   #158
thetiesonyourcorset

Another thing is that i am fucked up because of things that have happened to me in my past and my family hasn't been a very stable relationship,i've always been close with my family but not all family members have been close,yeah my mum and dad they aren't divorced well not yet if they ever will but i think they will as they live in different houses and my mum is kinda seeing two men unless one of them has backed off because she spends time with the other one which he knows about when he wants to.I was kinda in the same possition as my mum but as it was fucking me up even more and i love my boyfriend,wesley...i decided to try and block my ex,James out but it didn't work so i still will chat to him on msn from time to time even if wesley doesn't like that because i can't not have James in my life because we used to be the best of friends because me and him went out so we will try to be friends again.

Old 04-15-2006, 11:53 AM   #159
Sanctus Dei

(Ties!! Missed ya doll..)

Old 04-15-2006, 12:01 PM   #160
thetiesonyourcorset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanctus Dei
(Ties!! Missed ya doll..)
Missed you too

Old 04-15-2006, 12:51 PM   #161
succubus,queenofvampires

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinstripesAndPithHelmets
This whole questions, to me, smacks of a kind of social darwinism. It reminds me of the late 19th and early 20th century conceptions of nationality and race. Wheres the Western European and American nations (i.e. Great Britain, France, the United States) seemed to be of the mind that as long as you were willing to assimilate, play by the rules and gain citizenship, you were part of that nation. Central and Eastern Europe (i.e. Germany, Austria, Hungary, Russia, the Balkan peninsula, etc.) believed that blood was the more important factor. For example, in Germany it did not matter how many generations of your family lived and died within the Fatherland, if you were not of Teutonic ancestry you could not become a German citizen, whereas in Great Britain or the U.S. you could be indoctrinated if you met certain criteria.

Now, as I see it, the question of "Born or made a goth" is no different. Were your parents goth? Have you tried to assimilate into the gothic subculture? How would one, if it were possible, assimilate? I suppose it all depends on your perspective. This board seems to be equally split between the two views. I personally prefer the Western European and American ideals. My parents weren't goth, my baby blanket was blue, and I often prefer tones of British Khaki to black in my wardrobe, but by God I'll be a goth if I want to! Assimilation at its finest, as, from what I can tell, it seems to be harder to integrate into the goth subculture than most nations. The Western values at work.

Down with the Dreikaiderbund! Vive Le France, God Bless America and Rule Britannia!
I like your answer!
succubus,queenofvampires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 07:50 AM   #162
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Purple_Stars
Gosh I miss Gypsy..

Me too!

Where has that man been? I actually teared up when I saw that his thread was still being posted in.

I miss him so much.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:16 AM   #163
ally.aesthetic-x

I believe the fucked up nature might be true as well.

I was the daughter of a satanic father, i was adopted out at the age of 12 then brought back to my birth parents, both my parents do drugs, and so i myself, have begun to as well. This is part insight, but lets say that everyone while I was growing up referred to me as satan's spawn, or lucifers daughter partially because of my father, and their fear I would turn out like him. I believe you can be morphed into the gothic cutlure but you usually know it by the time you are small, or when you are born. Traumatic events happen to help. Suicides, Murders ect. My best friend commited suicide when I was 10. traumatic? I walked in, and was the first to see her hanging from the eaves in her room. Although we are referred to as posers, emos, or various other subtypes, its not only our music but our lifestyle as well. I respect all of you on this site.
ally.aesthetic-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:01 AM   #164
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally.aesthetic-x
I believe the fucked up nature might be true as well.

I was the daughter of a satanic father, i was adopted out at the age of 12 then brought back to my birth parents, both my parents do drugs, and so i myself, have begun to as well. This is part insight, but lets say that everyone while I was growing up referred to me as satan's spawn, or lucifers daughter partially because of my father, and their fear I would turn out like him. I believe you can be morphed into the gothic cutlure but you usually know it by the time you are small, or when you are born. Traumatic events happen to help. Suicides, Murders ect. My best friend commited suicide when I was 10. traumatic? I walked in, and was the first to see her hanging from the eaves in her room. Although we are referred to as posers, emos, or various other subtypes, its not only our music but our lifestyle as well. I respect all of you on this site.
What does this have to do with goth? Or were you not trying to make that connection?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:57 AM   #165
killer_asian_Dax

Isn't there a rule about ressuracting dead threads?

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:01 AM   #166
Graveyard.Crow

Not really, if someone has something to say and doesn't want to start a new one that's exactly like it, why not?
Old 10-19-2007, 01:57 PM   #167
Miss Cogs

*shakes head*

I don't have anything to say to this...but....

*shakes head*
Miss Cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:31 PM   #168
Utael

i believe...

I believe its a mixture of both, and I had a bunch more but after reading it, it turned out completely dumb...
Utael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:00 PM   #169
Draconysius

Made goth. I went through a period when I was a mallgoth before I did the research, heard the music, and fell in love with it.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:06 PM   #170
Beneath the Shadows

Neither. People certainly aren't born goth, but being "made" goth sounds like someone else is responsible, like Frankenstein's monster.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:11 PM   #171
honeythorn

No one is born a goth in my opinion. You are born as nothing more than a pinky bluish, blood covered squalling bundle of life and flesh. A baby . End of.

Certainly we all came across goth, in one form or another at some point in our lives ( I bitterly regret that mine wasn't sooner ) and thought something along the lines of " this is for me, I can really relate to this, I love it , I want to absorb it " . In short, everyone is made goth. Even if your parents were the gothest of the goth and Peter Murphy was your favourite uncle, you would still be made a goth, through having been shown things, experienced things, and obviously, heard the music. Even from a young age. Before the exposure to goth, you were a child/teenager/person who listened to/was whatever ect..

No more than that.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:21 PM   #172
Cyntrox

Wouldn't it theoretically be possible to install speakers into a mum-to-come...? Then, if the baby likes Bauhaus, it'd be born a goth!
Old 10-19-2007, 03:25 PM   #173
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyntrox
Wouldn't it theoretically be possible to install speakers into a mum-to-come...? Then, if the baby likes Bauhaus, it'd be born a goth!
AWESOME! I LIKE that idea!

OK, the next family member that gets impregnated is going to have my cellphone against her belly playing Cavity - First Communion by Christian Death!

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:27 PM   #174
honeythorn

Oh I am SO going to try that on my firend when she gets pregnant ( she has a picket fence dream of husband, house, children ect , fair enough Nat whatever ) I'll get some huge squishy headphones for her bump, and blast it in there along with some audiobooks of Oscar Wilde XD

That child shall be my pupil! But only within the womb....I detest children with a passion, they really aggravate and disgust me ,so when it is born I shall be gone ! But in my wake...there shall be Specimen...MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:36 PM   #175
silverbaal

Everyone has the potential to be more than what they are told to be . Goth just means "different". Basically everyone is different. Not everyone shows it, though. Some people choose to conform. But...you can't fight your own mind. Deep down people know who they are and/or want to be.
silverbaal is offline   Reply With Quote