Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
CyanideandRaspberryTea

Evening

So...hey

Not new to the scene, but new to this online community. When I say not new to the scene, I mean I've been into the music, aesthetic, literature etc. for quite a while now. Not that I know tons of gawwwwths, sadly enough.

Anyhoo. I did the question thing, so enjoy x

1. What do you do?

Currently I'm a college student in Bradford, studying Creative Design for Stage and Screen. In theory. But the be honest, it's kind of a joke. However, I'm working my ass off because next year it's Lincoln uni, or bust, baby.

2. Where are you from?

I'm originally from Springfield, MO, but my family moved over to England in 2003. Lived in Doncaster until August this year, when I got married and moved to Bradford.

3. Who is your favourite author?

Now we're gettin' to the good stuff. I'm not going to lie, I love ye olde cliche Edgar Allan Poe, a nice bit of H.P. Lovecraft and Stephen King of course. Interview With a Vampire and a few Shakespearean works also have pride of place on my bookshelf. (I also love comics, but that's another story).

4. What are your favourite films?

Hocus Pocus. Never fails to cheer me up. The Crow, Gypsy 83, anything by Tim Burton, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Dracula Dead and Loving It (saw this before I saw any other Dracula film and can't take them seriously), Amelie, Pan's Labyrinth, Girl Interrupted, Coraline, The Addam's Family, Requiem for a Dream...the list is endless.

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?

Already being legally bound, we've yet to have the big party, so we're a-planning. I really really want to walk down the aisle to 'Ride of the Valkyries' and I want our first "official" couple's dance to be to Voltaire's 'Stuck With You'...yeah, we take this shit seriously

6. At your funeral?

Gawd, erm...haven't thought quite that far ahead. But I want it to be a party. But my husband and I have decided that whoever dies first is having "You Just Lost The Game" engraved on their tombstone. We're all dying, why not have a giggle about it?

7. This is a gothic website so...how do you want to die?

In the arms of my beloved. Or a huge firey explosion.

8. What kind of casket would you want?

Something engraved with roses and vines.

9. What's your FAVOURITE outfit?

Currently? My red blouse with the black ribbon detail, black corset, black lace skirt, anatomical cameo belt, red striped tights and my awesome platform Mary-Janes with bat buckles.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?

Not caring.

11. What's your favourite band?

It changes. But right now I'm really into Rasputina, Creature Feature and Type O Negative, but finding new shit to check out all the time.

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/will be/was your major?

In college, but hopefully *fingers crossed* off to Lincoln for a BA in Illustration next year. It's a shame that the arts are getting the raw end of the economic deal.

13. Why did you join?

Need some new friends who share my interests and don't think black eyeliner and a Cradle of Filth t-shirt makes them goth I love you, Jody, but you have much to learn :P

14. I am female.
CyanideandRaspberryTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
Grausamkeit

It seems to be intelligent.

Welcome.....

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
Miss Absynthe

Excellent screen name.
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
darkmaster

"don't think black eyeliner and a Cradle of Filth t-shirt makes them goth"

rofl, good one...and true. Welcome here !
darkmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Welcome
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanideandRaspberryTea View Post
13. Why did you join?

Need some new friends who share my interests and don't think black eyeliner and a Cradle of Filth t-shirt makes them goth I love you, Jody, but you have much to learn :P
How have your efforts to educate her gone?

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanideandRaspberryTea View Post
Hocus Pocus. Never fails to cheer me up.
Thank you for reconnecting me with one of the best things about my childhood, ma'am.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:14 AM   #7
CyanideandRaspberryTea

Thank you all for the welcomes. Yes, I am intelligent, but I rarely refer to myself as an "it"...only under special circumstances.

Yes, too many erm "Donny goths" don't really understand what the definition actually is...I don't shove it down their throats that They Are So Wrong And Totally NOT GOTH...a gentle push in the right direction maybe, but if they don't want it, I let them be (I like Cradle of Filth too...)

Haha, I didn't discover Hocus Pocus until I was 15, but it is now a firm, firm favourite
Old 11-23-2011, 07:11 AM   #8
Grausamkeit

Amok, amok, amok!

^_^

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:29 AM   #9
CyanideandRaspberryTea

"Go to HELL!" "I've been there actually, I found it quite lovely!"
Old 11-23-2011, 07:38 AM   #10
wolf moon

A couple friends and I are going to DragonCon next year as the witches from Hocus Pocus! We get together and watch it every Halloween, and came up with our plan during this year's watching party. I am excite.

Welcome! I like you already.
wolf moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:54 AM   #11
CyanideandRaspberryTea

That...is...AWESOME!

I would doff my hat to you if I was wearing one One of the items on my bucket list is to attend DragonCon, I hope you have a great time xD

Perhaps we can speaky more in the future? Anyone who loves Hocus Pocus enough to cosplay as the Sanderson Sisters is worth getting to know
Old 11-23-2011, 08:07 AM   #12
wolf moon

I would be delighted!

I feel like I'm going to need to crowdsource my costume ideas; I'm already a little bit worried that Winnie's makeup, on me (rather pale, younger than Bette Midler) is going to wind up veering into "Are you supposed to be Emilie Autumn?!" territory.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:09 AM   #13
MissCheyenne

Doncaster?!?! Goddamn, I live there. How did you end up there of all places?!

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:14 AM   #14
CyanideandRaspberryTea

@wolfmoon: Haha yeahhh, gotta watch out for that, but maybe there's a tutorial on Youtube? But then even so, the big red hair and cloak might deflect some of the "Are you Emilie Autumn's" :')

@MissCheyenne: I did live there, not there anymore though currently, but regular visits do occur. My father is actually a minister and he has a church there Whereabouts in ye olde Donnytown do you live?
Old 11-23-2011, 08:16 AM   #15
MissCheyenne

I reside in the nicely named but not so nice Woodlands. You are very right about the old 'Donny goths', I honestly don't think they even know what goth music actually is.

I am your slice of pie
Old 11-23-2011, 08:33 AM   #16
CyanideandRaspberryTea

I lived in Rossington...lovely place, overrun with chavs but meh. I've made some really good friends in Donny. To be honest with you? The two people that I would consider to be Goths (aside from my husband whom I also met in Doncaster), were nasty pieces of work. Sadly enough :/
Old 11-23-2011, 08:36 AM   #17
MissCheyenne

Sadly, within the 'alternative' community in general in Doncaster, there's an awful lot of bitchiness and nastiness. The amount of gossiping they do behind people's backs is utterly staggering. I really don't bother trying to fit into the current scene as I'm just not interested in how catty they are towards each other.

I am your slice of pie
Old 11-23-2011, 08:47 AM   #18
CyanideandRaspberryTea

I can't stand bitchiness within any community. That's probably why I've got such an eclective group of friends. Goth-friendlies, but none are goths themselves. I just can't be doing with the alternatives living up to the stereotype of being elitist and stuck up their own arses.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:49 AM   #19
MissCheyenne

It's something I find really sad. I deliberately distance myself from it because I just can't be doing with it at all. There's no need for it. It's why I stopped going out really, I got sick of hearing all the sniping and cattiness in the toilets so I just stopped putting myself in that situation.

I am your slice of pie
Old 11-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #20
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf moon View Post
A couple friends and I are going to DragonCon next year as the witches from Hocus Pocus! We get together and watch it every Halloween, and came up with our plan during this year's watching party. I am excite.

Welcome! I like you already.
Oh crap I just realized you live in the same city as Dragon con. I really must go next year, who knows maybe I'll finally have gotten a storm trooper uniform together by then.

As for Doncaster, why don't you two get together and start your own community there, without the stupid gossip, make it better than their community(which shouldn't be hard), and then when your community makes them see the error of their ways, assimilate them. Just make sure to keep a choke chain around their necks for if they start barking again too much.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:35 PM   #21
wolf moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
Oh crap I just realized you live in the same city as Dragon con. I really must go next year, who knows maybe I'll finally have gotten a storm trooper uniform together by then.
I do! And I'm originally from the city where ComicCon lives. I could write a treatise on the inescapability of Con traffic and girls in furry tails and rainbow bracelets, if you like.

Stormtrooper armor is extraordinarily difficult to acquire. My husband really, really wants to join the 501st, but holy crap they want ALL the dollars.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #22
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf moon View Post
Stormtrooper armor is extraordinarily difficult to acquire. My husband really, really wants to join the 501st, but holy crap they want ALL the dollars.
If I was confident I could get some in my size, I'd drop the money for it in a heartbeat.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #23
wolf moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
If I was confident I could get some in my size, I'd drop the money for it in a heartbeat.
Oh you totally could. They custom make each one with some sort of fancy, air-sucking mold thing. Mr. Moonie explains it to me and my eyes sort of glaze over (I love the movies, he loves making stuff, we intersect at stormtrooper costumes but it only goes so far). But once they're done with the molding and the fitting you have to pay them 25 gazillion dollars and your firstborn child.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:19 PM   #24
Versus

Link, plz.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:30 PM   #25
wolf moon

These guys have everything listed in standard sizes, but will do custom sizing if you ask real pretty.

Once I went to a Star Wars trivia panel at ComicCon and sat on the floor against the back wall. A Stormtrooper decided to mess with me by standing over me and staring silently down with his blaster out. It was sorta terrifying. When my husband sent me this link I suddenly remembered that moment and got all nervous. /random