Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 10-13-2006, 06:29 PM   #1
kitten

Smile cheesey tattoo?

okay, Iv been wanting a tatoo of fairy wings on my back forever, lol. I am worried people will think its cheesey though. I want them done really elegant and stuff though, nice and pretty and flowy looking. I collect fairies and i have always loved them, so would it be cheesey to get wings done?
Old 10-13-2006, 06:42 PM   #2
Delicate_Torture

I don't have an opinion on whether it is cheesy or not...

I do think it's probably not a smart idea to get any permanant bodywork done (especially something like ink... it isn't a piercing you can just take out when you don't like it anymore) if you are unsure enough about it that you are asking a board what they think.

Do what you want to do because you want to do it. Not because it is in to have ink. And don't do it until you are totally certain that you are making the right choice. Not because everyone on the board said they were totally certain that you were.

Sheesh. Kids these days. :|
Old 10-13-2006, 10:49 PM   #3
Born Again

Who cares what others think? If you fancy fairy wings, what the hell? Tattoos, in my opinion, are about personality and expressing oneself.

Do you relate to fairies some how? What about them attracts you?
Old 10-14-2006, 01:13 AM   #4
c130

You know you can get tattooes done in temporary ink, they last about 5 years. That way you can just keep getting them re-done every few years, and if you don't like them any more they'll fade away.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:39 AM   #5
Ashenstar

Yes on temporary ink!

I would whole-heartedly 2nd using a temporary ink. If you are asking if it would be too cheesey then it sounds like you have too much reserve about the idea. Another bonus with temporary ink is you can "test" it out. You may very well end up feeling cheesey. If not, go for permanent! ^_^ I really want some bat wings on my back like "Dark Chi" from chobits has in some manga art. However, I'm not about to commit to them knowing in the future there will probably be a dress or something that will look really wrong with bat wings. lol but they would be fun sometimes
Ashenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 03:53 AM   #6
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by c130
You know you can get tattooes done in temporary ink, they last about 5 years. That way you can just keep getting them re-done every few years, and if you don't like them any more they'll fade away.
Are you serious about this? Because if you are, you just made my day! I've been planning images I've wanted tattooed for years, but being a perfectionist I'm worried I'll make a mistake and regret it forever. 5 years would be perfect.

I third the temporary ink suggestion for your fairy wings, Kitten.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 04:14 AM   #7
kitten

I made up my mind I was getting wings when I was like 12, but I was wondering what everyone on here thought. I was wopndering if anyone thought they were cheesey, cause my brothers friends all say its cheesey, lol. (they get thier asses kicked in the morning )

Fairies attract me becuase they are beautiful, and delicate (somthing i am not) and they are free because they have wings. wings are a symbol of freedom.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:17 AM   #8
kitten

Iv just always pictured myself with tattz, ever since I was about 6, lol. but when I was 6, my moms like "only bad people have tattoos" (shes thier wierded out christian person, like extremely religous and she believes that altering your body isnt "somthing god wanted" I say she can go blow a goat. cause now, almost 11 years later, Il allowed to get one. she gave me permission, lol. I wont even be 17 until december. but yes, I am getting the wings.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:19 AM   #9
DarkHeartedDemoness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten
okay, Iv been wanting a tatoo of fairy wings on my back forever, lol. I am worried people will think its cheesey though.
Hun, if you're worried about what people will think of your tattoo, you probably shouldn't get it. When I get my first tattoo (Tuesday, by the way), it will be meaningful. When my friend killed himself two and a half years ago, I carved his initial into my hip. When I tried to kill myself three months ago, and went to the hospital for recovery, butterflies became my symbol of life. This Tuesday, a week after my 20th birthday, I'm getting a tattoo of a butterfly with the tips of its wings touching the edges of a perfect circle on my hip over his initial. I'm putting my symbol of life over my memory of his death.

I know that not all tattoos mean as much as mine, and I will probably get more tattoos that don't mean as much as my first. For instance, I may end up with wings, too. I think they're beautiful.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:12 PM   #10
Ashenstar

Well then.

Well, in your last post it seemed that you were pretty determined and had decided to get the wings. That's great! ^_^ If you get a tattoo artist who knows whats what, I'm sure they will look great.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:39 PM   #11
BATANGEL

Quote:
okay, Iv been wanting a tatoo of fairy wings on my back forever, lol. I am worried people will think its cheesey though. I want them done really elegant and stuff though, nice and pretty and flowy looking. I collect fairies and i have always loved them, so would it be cheesey to get wings done?
I have anumber of tattoos and i love them all. My advice to you is to find an image you like and put in away for 6months to a year as you may chnage your mind, also find a good tattoo artist, go and talk to them and look at their work and talk to people who have had work done by them, i have found that if an artist has a shitty attitude then their work isn't always the best. In my opinion its not a good idea to have temporary tattoos as they tend to fade over time and then your left with a faded tattoo for about 2 years. if you got some artistic mates them try henna to get some idea. Finally if fairy wings is what you want, then have them done, its doesn't matter what others think as a tattoo is your expression of your self. Good Luck!!!!
BATANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:39 AM   #12
Slap Your Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
Are you serious about this? Because if you are, you just made my day! I've been planning images I've wanted tattooed for years, but being a perfectionist I'm worried I'll make a mistake and regret it forever. 5 years would be perfect.
I'm definately going to have to look into this too. =]
Old 10-16-2006, 06:30 AM   #13
Slap Your Love

Sorry for the double post but this may intrest alot of you.

http://www.tattoos-by-design.co.uk/temporary.html
Old 10-16-2006, 09:29 AM   #15
DarkHeartedDemoness

Oooooh!! Get this one!
Or this!

Amy has a list of all the tattoos she's inspired.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 10-16-2006, 12:32 PM   #16
kitten

wow...thanx for the research!! lol, I loved the next to last wing piece, the first fairy backpiece and the last one. I LOVE all fairies though, lol. I am thinking that maybe an amy brown is awsome, but maybe a little too common. I think too many people are getting her fairies for them to be unique, lol, but i love her faries anyway, lol. I think I will try to conntact drien Welch, i LOVE her red fairy.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:37 PM   #17
She_Is_My_Sin

Kitten, fairy wings are most definitely not cheesy. I think they're quite cool actually.

But if it makes you feel a little less cheesy, I want something Sailor Moon related tattooed on me
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:10 PM   #18
natharliak

lol ive wanted one for ages........
i dont think fairy wings are cheesey cause its expression of thourt.
theres nothing wrong with a bit of ink on you..
but im going for the skin pealing cause it last forever and i need to start drawing my designe up so i can get it dun next year..
natharliak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:43 PM   #19
She_Is_My_Sin

I'm getting planet symbols on my inside wrists. I was gonna have Neptune, Uranus, Saturn & Pluto done. But now I hear Pluto is no longer a planet. So now I'm a bit stumped.

But I'd definitely like something Chibi-Usa/Wicked Lady related. Maybe a Black Moon family symbol somewhere. Hmmm....
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:23 PM   #20
Born Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by She_Is_My_Sin
I'm getting planet symbols on my inside wrists. I was gonna have Neptune, Uranus, Saturn & Pluto done. But now I hear Pluto is no longer a planet. So now I'm a bit stumped.

But I'd definitely like something Chibi-Usa/Wicked Lady related. Maybe a Black Moon family symbol somewhere. Hmmm....
That's interesting, have you thought about doing your Astrological Planets?
What ever planets your Sun, Moon, etc. signs are in.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:47 PM   #21
jebes

I have two fairies on my back along with butterflies down my spine, a celitc cross on my shoulder, a heart with angel wings and a rose going threw it on my other shoulder, and a pac man with dots going to two cherries on my lower stomach.

I want wings now but I have no room to put them I thought about getting a set on my neck.
jebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:04 PM   #22
kitten

Sailor moon uis cute...If I was gunna do anime, I would get Hiei's dragon tattoo on my back somwhere. I love Yu YU Hakusho.

I juist wont do angel wings...theyr soo preppy...lol.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:53 AM   #23
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Your Love
Sorry for the double post but this may intrest alot of you.

http://www.tattoos-by-design.co.uk/temporary.html
Yep, after my last post I did a bit of research and came across that as well. It's a shame, although considering the passion I feel for the things I plan to get tattoos of, I'd probably end up getting any 'temporary' tattoos permanently done anyway. They make it much easier to identify your corpse

And since we're talking about the tattoos we plan to get... My first tattoo will probably be the ship from the cover of AFI's Black Sails in the Sunset inside the ouroboros serpent, with "Angels for Everyone" (from the song Narrative of Soul Against Soul, also by AFI) written beneath it. Below that I plan to get an image of a humpback whale and her calf. I've designed enough tattoos to cover every inch of my body, but the ones I've described are the only ones I'm 100% decided on.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:52 PM   #24
Ashenstar

About the temp ink

Hmmm...just another thing about temp. ink for tattoos besides the above link. I think the ink does fade a little, but it still leaves a scar. This is what someone I work with said. If that is the case then it would make sense to just do a permanent one! lol....i also saw in a glamour mag?? that there is now UV reactive tattoos that are barley visible in regular light. That's would be pretty nifty if you are more of a clubbing/cyber goth..blah blah and didn't want to look like a raver all the time. Say at your strict day job or whatever. ^_^ That seems pretty cool.

Last edited by Ashenstar; 10-18-2006 at 02:55 PM. Reason: adding info.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:57 PM   #25
DarkHeartedDemoness

Quote:
Sailor moon uis cute...If I was gunna do anime, I would get Hiei's dragon tattoo on my back somwhere. I love Yu YU Hakusho.

I juist wont do angel wings...theyr soo preppy...lol.
Sorry, love, I have a hard time connecting the concept of a full-back tattoo to "preppy".
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson