Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 10-04-2008, 12:17 AM   #1
CptSternn

U.S. to sell $6.4 billion in weapons to Taiwan

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapc...ies&eref=yahoo

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- In a move bound to anger China, the United States intends to sell $6.4 billion in arms to Taiwan, the State Department said Friday.

State Department deputy spokesman Robert Wood said Congress -- whose approval is needed for the deal to go through -- was notified Friday afternoon. He indicated the administration expects congressional approval quickly.

The package includes a variety of U.S.-made weapons systems, including Patriot III anti-missile missiles, Apache attack helicopters, Harpoon missiles and Javelin anti-tank missiles.

The deal had been in the works for a few months, Wood said, and the decision is "consistent with U.S. policy of providing arms for defense of Taiwan and consistent with the Taiwan Relations Act."

"This arms deal is a key factor in bringing security and stability across the Taiwan Strait," he added. The deal also gives Taiwan upgrades for Taiwan's E-2T aircraft and spare parts for its air force.

U.S. arms sales to Taiwan have always angered China. The latest deal comes at a time when the United States needs China in negotiations over Iran's and North Korea's nuclear programs. But Wood said the U.S. government decision is no surprise to Beijing, as the Chinese were briefed "several" times about the impending deal.

This is the latest chapter in a decades-long uneasy standoff. China claims Taiwan is its own territory and has threatened to invade if Taiwan ever declares independence. The United States has said it will defend Taiwan if China ever attacks.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:19 AM   #2
CptSternn

Looks like the bush admin is pulling out all the stops trying to start a world war before they leave office. Threatening Venezuela, sending Georgia into Russia, sending guns to Colombia, putting missle defense units on the border with Russia, - they are trying to start conflicts around the world.

Why? Feeds the defence industry.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:03 AM   #3
Joker_in_the_Pack

Oh neat! I love fireworks
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:05 PM   #4
PortraitOfSanity

I just think it's stupid to sell arms to the #1 enemy of a country that owns 80% or whatever of our assets. The concept of a lasting "World War" in the notion that it existed 50 years ago is laughable today. Look at the opening acts of the first and second Gulf Wars, and ignore the bogged down occupations for a second. The entire military of Iraq was destroyed in hours. There's simply no way to fight a sustained war anymore, now that that sort of firepower is available. Plus, it's either that, or nuclear holocaust, which doesn't last long either.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:56 PM   #5
Beneath the Shadows

I'm not a fan of Bush by any means, but selling arms to Taiwan can in no way be blamed on him considering that we've been selling arms to Taiwan since before Bush was old enough to be eligible to run for president.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:01 AM   #6
CptSternn

BTS -

That is true, but with the current world climate do you not think there are direct political influences that are guiding this sale?
Old 10-05-2008, 07:04 PM   #7
Beneath the Shadows

Well, no. It's just the same old same old.

China has claimed Taiwan as their own territory for years, have threatened invasion if Taiwan ever declared their independence (or under several other circumstances), the US has sold arms to Taiwan for almost as long as China has claimed Taiwan, and China has always huffed and puffed about it. More than likely, China knew that the US was going to continue selling arms to Taiwan no matter what, so, in the end, nothing really changes. Like I said, same old same old.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:57 PM   #8
Resurrectus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
I'm not a fan of Bush by any means, but selling arms to Taiwan can in no way be blamed on him considering that we've been selling arms to Taiwan since before Bush was old enough to be eligible to run for president.
I agree. The United States has been helping Taiwan (a friendly country) for decades. Those weapons that are sold to Taiwan are for self-defense purposes.
Resurrectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:19 PM   #9
Resurrectus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity
I just think it's stupid to sell arms to the #1 enemy of a country that owns 80% or whatever of our assets.
So you're going to let China invade the innocent people of Taiwan just because the United States owes China money? Don't you have any morals?
Old 10-15-2008, 03:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrectus
I agree. The United States has been helping Taiwan (a friendly country) for decades. Those weapons that are sold to Taiwan are for self-defense purposes.
Since ancient times, China Taiwan has been an inalienable part of China, no matter how the leadership of the CPC, the Chinese mainland, or on how to dissatisfaction with the Chinese in the world, as always, adhere to the principle of one China, even though Taiwan has become ruins, and will not allow its independent
Taiwan? State? All I know is that I have ever seen no one who said he is a national. .
258930671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:47 AM   #11
dead_dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
Oh neat! I love fireworks
Me too, we should hang out sometime
I fell that America should help its allie's in a time of crisis, but not when the world is on the brink of WW3.
dead_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:12 AM   #12
Tralis

How are we on the brink of a world war any more than we usually are?
Russia's invasion of Georgia?
Tralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:44 AM   #13
dead_dreams

We're sending arms over to Taiwan, that sits really close to a communist country. Smells like a disaster to me
dead_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:03 AM   #14
Resurrectus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_dreams
We're sending arms over to Taiwan, that sits really close to a communist country. Smells like a disaster to me
The weapons are for self-defense. It's similar to sending Patriot missiles (anti-missile missiles) to Kuwait and Israel.

Taiwan is not the aggressor. China is.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:10 PM   #15
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralis
How are we on the brink of a world war any more than we usually are?
Russia's invasion of Georgia?
Please, war in Eastern Europe = World War? If by "World War" you mean Russian tanks rolling through all of Eastern Europe in a matter of hours, followed by a televised apology from Putin, and then noone important giving a rat's ass, all encompassing a time span of 2 days tops and a total rewind to the days of the Russian satellite states: yea.

If you think Georgia can spark a World War, I have a bridge in Arizona to sell you.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:12 PM   #16
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
The weapons are for self-defense. It's similar to sending Patriot missiles (anti-missile missiles) to Kuwait and Israel.

Taiwan is not the aggressor. China is.
You need to read a history book.

Also, the fact that you equate Israel to Taiwan and Kuwait makes you seem like you're regurgitating all this from an episode of Rush Limbaugh.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:35 PM   #17
JCC

Quote:
Israel.
Yeah, poor Israel. Must be hard work, oppressing Palestine for four decades.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:59 AM   #18
Mir

Yeah, and now they are reaping the fruits of their labour.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:41 AM   #19
Evil_Angel

I don't understand why does US HELP to "friendly countries" with WEAPONS and TANKs?! For example, in Georgia people need elementary means for life, peace and freedom, but not enmity and war!!! And in Taiwan like that. Guns DO give just blood and anger.
Evil_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:08 PM   #20
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Angel
I don't understand why does US HELP to "friendly countries" with WEAPONS and TANKs?! For example, in Georgia people need elementary means for life, peace and freedom, but not enmity and war!!! And in Taiwan like that. Guns DO give just blood and anger.
Money you idiot. The U.S arms companies will sell to ANYONE who can pay. If you haven't caught onto that yet, I pity you.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:11 PM   #21
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir
Yeah, and now they are r-aping the fruits of their labour.
Fixed for accuracy. (the word is censored, hehe.)
Old 10-18-2008, 05:41 PM   #22
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Angel
Georgia is about emnity and war: you think Russia would've started conflict with them if Georgia hadn't invaded South Ossetia at the US' behest? Georgia and Ossetia agreed on a ceasefire and then in the early hours of the morning GEORGIA SHELLED THEIR FUCKING CAPITAL CITY.

Why don't you start learning the truth rather than what's on FOX News before you talk about these things?
Old 10-19-2008, 02:41 AM   #23
Evil_Angel

Whou!!! Here people know everything about everyone! Really exciting!
First, Russia and Georgia have so many things in common: history, culture and relations. Each family has its own kins in this and that countries. Why do you think that "Russia attacked Georgia"?! Because of territory?! HA! If you take a map, you will see that Russia is about 1/6 of the Earth, and if you analyse russian economical state of its different regions, you will understand that we have many problems with it! We don't need more problems...
Second, "Russia started conflict"?! Was you there to assert like that? I saw just panic, horror and pain of Ossetia people for their and their children future. I know that people want to live in community and peace.
Third, of cause, money rule the world! But it's better to speak that, then cover up with mask of help. It's market economy, nothing else.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:43 AM   #24
JCC

GEORGIA.
ATTACKED.
OSSETIA.

RUSSIA.
DEFENDED.
OSSETIA.

Georgia AGREED with Ossetia that NEITHER party would fire on each other, and then in the early hours of the morning, THEY SHELLED TSKHINVALI!

Why do you not even understand what I'm saying to you? I say "Georgia are the bad guys", you fly off the fucking chain and tell me that I'm wrong to say Russia are the bad guys. What the fuck are you on?
Old 10-19-2008, 05:05 AM   #25
Evil_Angel

EXCUSE me, I don't understand some your four-letter words :shuffle:
Entschuldigung!