Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:15 AM   #1
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Fine line between "know it all" and not getting your thoughts out

This is somthing that has plagued me for many years, everywhere in my life. Where is the fine line between being considered a "know it all"(as in, you act like you know it all but you dont and people resent you for it), and not talking enough to get your thoughts out.

I had my own mother just this morning make the ignorant statement of "well you have aspergers so you think you know it all", and this weekend my grandmother told me she thought I thought everyone else was an idiot.

Frankly this whole problem makes me feel like an idiot, because in my mind I've never thought I've known everything, if I did I would hate myself because of the hubris.

Essentially this might have put me in a seeming position of thinking I'm an idiot so I talk even more than I normally would to make up for it. Or somthing like that.

I'm left wondering, how many people resent me, and how many people avoid me, because of this.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:22 PM   #2
Ben Lahnger

You spend too much time pondering whether you may be an idiot, and give other people's words too much credibility.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
allyssa

I would feel, that you should express yourself and not be too concerned about what people think. I understand that when you love or even like somebody
you want their respect....but perhaps your family is just intimidated of your intelligence or are very judgemental and not accepting you as you are. I would tell them how you feel.
allyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
Saya

My sister and like two other people I'm not really friends with anymore thinks I think I'm better than everyone, I'm really not a smart ass at all in real life but you know, if someone says something I know is factually wrong I feel obligated to correct them. Some people just get pissy about it I guess, and just assume that if you're correcting them that means your looking down on them. It's them being defensive, not you being an idiot.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
vindicatedxjin

I would just say... don't worry about it dude.

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #6
Catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
This is somthing that has plagued me for many years, everywhere in my life. Where is the fine line between being considered a "know it all"(as in, you act like you know it all but you dont and people resent you for it), and not talking enough to get your thoughts out.

I had my own mother just this morning make the ignorant statement of "well you have aspergers so you think you know it all", and this weekend my grandmother told me she thought I thought everyone else was an idiot.

Frankly this whole problem makes me feel like an idiot, because in my mind I've never thought I've known everything, if I did I would hate myself because of the hubris.

Essentially this might have put me in a seeming position of thinking I'm an idiot so I talk even more than I normally would to make up for it. Or somthing like that.

I'm left wondering, how many people resent me, and how many people avoid me, because of this.
Yah, don't worry about it so much. People say things all the time. Usually the best answer is to let it go or give them the cold shoulder because they said something offensive.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:24 AM   #7
Sinjob

I had the same problem you had, you lack some security.

Take it from Kenny Powers.

"The whole world can suck my dick."
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #8
Despanan

I kinda had the opposite problem growing up, I was pretty much smarter than everyone else, but people thought I was stupid because I was so often on a different wavelength. It didn't help matters that I was often klutzy and absent-minded, and spent my highschool and college years surrounded by small-minded idiots in Ohio and Kentucky.

I heard it so much I even started to believe that I was this delusional asshole.

Then I got out of school, and started working in the professional world, hiked the trail, wrote a couple plays and moved to New York.

I gradually realized that I was right all along and they were all insecure morons.

I guess what I'm saying is, take other people's opinions of you into account, but don't doubt yourself too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:30 AM   #9
ape descendant

Its really funny that grandma has to tell you how she thinks you feel.... instead of asking you.

Just be you. As long as you're not harming yourself or others, you're fine.

If you think there is some sort of truth to what they are saying.. you may want to examine the way you talk to them and see if there's something you're doing that is sending the wrong message.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:34 AM   #10
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Be careful Ren: Sometimes shallow people put you down because you are smarter than those around you, and they may try feebly to reassure themselves they are better than you by putting you down.

Don't listen to them.
Listen to...US! The Hypno-TOAD COMMANDS IT!

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:32 AM   #11
allyssa

i agree with humane, I feel it low of people to remark that you know too much or are to vocally intellectual. These are qualities I admire. if you are getting on their nerves you may want to find other outlets for your intellect such as writing or meeting people who are knowledgeable. Perhaps a philosophy class? If you are going to go to university/college, these are the qualities which people will be hypnotized by. in university people are sexy for their minds.
allyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:19 PM   #12
Catch

You know what is a good idea, practice what you would say in advance. Here is a helpful meditation to bring thoughts into a quicker order so you could locate positive and negative ideas about any situation.

http://chakation.blogspot.com/2009/0...editation.html

A person doesn't have to learn coping skills while experiencing it, you can take the experience and learn from it later when able to relax.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:45 AM   #13
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain View Post
Be careful Ren: Sometimes shallow people put you down because you are smarter than those around you, and they may try feebly to reassure themselves they are better than you by putting you down.

Don't listen to them.
Listen to...US! The Hypno-TOAD COMMANDS IT!
Agree with everyone but HP has a point. I lived with a guy who couldn't stand the fact that I was smarter than him. He put a lot of effort into putting me down so he could feel better about his crap existance - he had experienced a lot of put downs in his life so that was how he treated everyone else.

Some people need to put others down to feel better about themselves.
Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #14
Anarasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
This is somthing that has plagued me for many years, everywhere in my life. Where is the fine line between being considered a "know it all"(as in, you act lik......teh spacesaving dots...... of this.
I have the exact same thing as you.
I know a lot of stuff about a lot of different things(compared to the average John and Jane anyway) and I gladly share them with everyone.
I spent a lot of time wondering if people hated me for it and stuff.
But in the end, I decided that if they had a problem with it, they would have to tell me themselves, otherwise I didn't bother caring about it.
That helped me a lot.
Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote